Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-25-2002, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I may be running too quickly with my implementation of a HT Server. I plan on using Redhat 7.3 with software RAID 5. The reason for my decision to go this way is because of the ability to add additional drives later without having to break the array (destructive).

My hardware is currently:
Antec 1080B Plus Case
Old Abit BX6-II P3 Motherboard
Elsa Gladiac MX
Intel 100B 100BT
1 - WD 80gb ATA100 7200rpm boot drive
3 - Promise Ultra 133 IDE controller adapters
6 - WD 120gb ATA100 5400rpm drives for RAID5

Does anyone know of the best driver for the Promise Ultra133 boards? Their website has nothing posted for this card under Linux.

Also, has anyone had success with disk compression (transparent). I found very few hits but came up with a patch that does compression on ext2 partitions (E2compr - Ext2fs transparent compression) . Would I be able to use that type of partition with Linux Redhat 7.3?

Thanks for any help.

Dennis

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-25-2002, 07:37 PM

The promise PDC202xx chips (Your Ultra133 has a PDC20275, I think.) are supported by newer versions of the kernel (I checked 2.4.18)
Your card may not run at full speed, however, since specific support for your chip has not been coded in, AFAIK.

Why do you want software RAID 5?? :)
I know it's cool and all that, but wouldn't you be served as well by just a bunch of disks with some journalling FS (reiserfs/ext3) and a good backup strategy?

Krishna
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-2002, 08:16 PM

Hi Dennis,

I found this while searching google for "Linux Promise Ultra133 driver".

Remeber, google is your friend. :)

It looks like they've got some patches to their drivers for the latest kernels but I don't know if they would apply cleanly to a redhat kernel. If messing with patches is beyond your level of comfort then you'll have to wait for a new kernel release or settle for ATA100 performance for the time being. I dare you to notice a difference. ;)

I can't make any suggestions or comments on transparent disk compression in ext2. You may want to explore some alternatives to your software RAID 5 setup though. You can get back some of that "wasted" space by using LVM and a mature journalling filesystem (xfs/ext3/reiserfs) as Krishna suggests. This would keep your data safe (save a drive failure) and allow you to transparently add to or remove from the "array". Here's a thread you might find interesting.

Good luck.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-25-2002, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Krishna,

I wanted to go with RAID 5 because I don't want to backup. I expect to have mostly videos (HD recordings from PC tuner card), and general household fileserver stuff like downloads, MP3 Music Library, etc. Tape backup is too expensive for 600gb. I know I would still have risk with RAID 5, but hopefully minimal. I found with NTFS in Windows XP that disk compression worked very well even with HD recordings and other stuff that is already somewhat compressed, but the RAID 5 safety, and the ability with LINUX to add additional drives and rebuild larger is the attraction for me.

Bdogg,

Thanks for the link to the Promise page. I found that page the other night, and when I went back to the Promise Linux page again, I couldn't find it. I thought I was imagining.... I guess their page links are broken, but GOOGLE found it!

Thanks,
Dennis:)

Dennis
Closed Thread HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page