Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Linux, XBMC, and Streaming Services

So since it appears HULU is completely DOA (according to XBMC forums) and won't work any longer...

What streaming services do still work with XBMC and Linux?

For me, I use streaming more so for TV shows than movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-22-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Netflix works with Pipelight. Not sure about Amazon Prime since I've never used it.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-23-2014, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have to admit after years of struggling with XBMC and the more popular plugin streaming services I finally threw in the towel and decided to pickup a Roku (and just recently a Chromecast)...for the short dollars of these and similar products, I recommend going that route rather than struggling with XBMC's plugin's that seem to break weekly.

Last edited by bac522; 06-23-2014 at 04:10 AM.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-23-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I have to admit after years of struggling with XBMC and the more popular plugin streaming services I finally threw in the towel and decided to pickup a Roku (and just recently a Chromecast)...for the short dollars of these and similar products, I recommend going that route rather than struggling with XBMC's plugin's that seem to break weekly.
Yeah, I thought about that. One big issue though is I'd need a new AV receiver. My home theater uses a projector, so being it's not a TV, it's harder to switch between sources (plus it only has one HDMI port and that's being used). My AV receiver is about 12 years old so it doesn't have any HDMI ports on it at all. It works great for 5.1 audio using an optical cable from my HTPC and there's nothing wrong with it.

So for me, the small cost of the Roku becomes bigger when I consider I'd have to replace the receiver too in order to switch sources (much more easily).
post #5 of 8 Old 06-23-2014, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane2943 View Post
Yeah, I thought about that. One big issue though is I'd need a new AV receiver. My home theater uses a projector, so being it's not a TV, it's harder to switch between sources (plus it only has one HDMI port and that's being used). My AV receiver is about 12 years old so it doesn't have any HDMI ports on it at all. It works great for 5.1 audio using an optical cable from my HTPC and there's nothing wrong with it.

So for me, the small cost of the Roku becomes bigger when I consider I'd have to replace the receiver too in order to switch sources (much more easily).
I'm in a similar boat as my older TV only has 1 HDMI port and my receiver is just as old...didn't want to throw it away as it's still a top of line receiver even for it's age...so I picked up this little guy which does a great job! It will automatically switch to my XBMC system when I turn it on, and when I turn it off it automatically switches back to my Roku. The remote is optional if you want to change between the inputs.
http://www.meritline.com/high-speed-...--p-33053.aspx
post #6 of 8 Old 06-23-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good idea and suggestion, but unfortunately it doesn't switch audio. I still need optical to my AV receiver.

I'll probably buy a new AV receiver in the future, I just can't justify it now, since my old one does digital and DTS audio and does it perfectly.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I use a Roku2 which has RCA analog connections that I run to my receiver and SP/DIF from my XBMC HTPC. Of course the problem with that is that you lose 5.1 sound on the Roku2. Not too much of a big deal for me, any movie that I want the 5.1 sound I just rent and watch on my XBMC system, all else I use the Roku2 which meets my needs.

Last edited by bac522; 06-24-2014 at 04:59 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Yeah, I use a Roku2 what has RCA analog connections that I run to my receiver and SP/DIF from my XBMC HTPC. Of course the problem with that is that you lose 5.1 sound on the Roku2. Not too much a big deal for me, any movie that I want the 5.1 sound I just rent and watch on my XBMC system, all else I use the Roku2 which meets my needs.
Fair point.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page