Found Linux HTPC Project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2002, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It isn't called an HTPC, but from what I've read, they're attempting to make a Linux distro doing exactly what everyone here is talking about. And they've got code and stuff.

http://davedina.apestaart.org/

Saw this in the comments of the Slashdot posting of that VCR PC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-29-2002, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
That looks like a really good find...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-29-2002, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds really cool. Looks like everything most were wanting. They even have a challenge at the bottom to show anyone else working on a similar project.

I was wanting to give it a whirl, but, I'm having troubles finding out what is what on their site. They have a link for downloads, but I don't have a clue as to where to begin.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-29-2002, 08:37 AM

Neuner,

I was wondering the same also... how to install? I don't like the site very much because it is missing some key points such as a document for how to install the whole darn thing. The project is very confusing (specially without any help document). However, I found a shell script at http://davedina.apestaart.org/install/ which seems to answer some questions.

The shell script basically gets (wget) the RPMs from the website and then installs them using the RPM -Uhv command. Since these are RPMs, I suppose they were created and possibly tested on Redhat system. These can probably work on Mandrake also.

There is also some sort of install disk for Redhat 7.2 as mentioned here .

If you're more interested in the project, be sure to ask questions to the project lead directly. I'm sure he/she wouldn't mind answering your questions.
Closed Thread HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page