3Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 07-01-2014, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 51
This forum has really died :(!

I remember when I started on my initial quest to use Linux as an HTPC system almost 10 years ago, this forum was hoping with a ton of knowledgeable users, but it seems within the last year or two it has really become stagnant...Is using Linux as a HTPC systems just gotten that good or that bad? Are there more active forums around?

Granted I got my Linux based HTPC system running pretty smoothly, but from a hobbyist perspective always looking for that next tweak!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 07-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I too am disappointed at the activity level.

When I switched over to Linux 100% back in 2007 on all my equipment, I expected a steady increase in users of FOSS distros and member activity here.

I think the rise of Android, ChromeOS and other non-MS OS's has been a big boost for FOSS distros. But for most people (normal consumers), a FOSS distro is not a "Product". Consumers want a packaged, ready to use "product" they can buy from a brick and mortar and/or the Amazon's of the world.

Android and ChromeOS, which are now essentially merged
http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/25/58...s-in-the-works

are "Linux packaged into a Product for the masses".

The disappointment is that Canonical or other major distros have never made significant strides or market share in pre-installed desktop/laptop/tablet deals. Yes, they have done small niche deals with Dell and HP in the past, but an Ubuntu-class distro needs the backing of a Google/Amazon/Dell scale player to get the numbers where they could be.

What happened the past 7 years was the Tivoization
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoization

of the Linux kernel, resulting in closed ecosystem OS's built on Linux (Android/ChromeOS/etc) to provide a restricted user experience for average consumers.

FOSSies were hoping that more people would "get it" (i.e. the principles of user freedoms, true software security, software sovereignty, etc) and take the initiative like the Munichs of the world.

http://www.linuxvoice.com/the-big-switch/

Even the Windows forum is not what it was like 10+ years ago, when it appeared most posters were DIY capable (hardware and OS installs). Nowadays, I don't think many Win forum members install their own Win OS, but rely on the preinstall on their hardware.

So expecting even tech members here to install a FOSS OS, let alone an average consumer, is specious at best.
Marc Wielage likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 40 Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
I too am disappointed at the activity level.

When I switched over to Linux 100% back in 2007 on all my equipment, I expected a steady increase in users of FOSS distros and member activity here.

I think the rise of Android, ChromeOS and other non-MS OS's has been a big boost for FOSS distros. But for most people (normal consumers), a FOSS distro is not a "Product". Consumers want a packaged, ready to use "product" they can buy from a brick and mortar and/or the Amazon's of the world.

Android and ChromeOS, which are now essentially merged
http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/25/58...s-in-the-works

are "Linux packaged into a Product for the masses".

The disappointment is that Canonical or other major distros have never made significant strides or market share in pre-installed desktop/laptop/tablet deals. Yes, they have done small niche deals with Dell and HP in the past, but an Ubuntu-class distro needs the backing of a Google/Amazon/Dell scale player to get the numbers where they could be.

What happened the past 7 years was the Tivoization
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivoization

of the Linux kernel, resulting in closed ecosystem OS's built on Linux (Android/ChromeOS/etc) to provide a restricted user experience for average consumers.

FOSSies were hoping that more people would "get it" (i.e. the principles of user freedoms, true software security, software sovereignty, etc) and take the initiative like the Munichs of the world.

http://www.linuxvoice.com/the-big-switch/

Even the Windows forum is not what it was like 10+ years ago, when it appeared most posters were DIY capable (hardware and OS installs). Nowadays, I don't think many Win forum members install their own Win OS, but rely on the preinstall on their hardware.

So expecting even tech members here to install a FOSS OS, let alone an average consumer, is specious at best.
I've noticed the reduced activity, and I'm also nowhere near as active in these forums as I used to be, or in the ubuntu forums where I used to be really active. I try to help now and again but I just don't have the time I used to have. Also, I've learned a lot and I don't need the help I used to need in the beginning either (plus things are just easier and for the most part work once I've got them setup). Now I pretty much keep all my machines stable for 2 years and upgrade OS and software and maybe some hardware every 2 years (which I need to do this year). I don't constantly tinker with my HTPC setups anymore.

Now I spend more of my "hobby" time on home automation...
Rgb likes this.

post #4 of 40 Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
I've noticed the reduced activity, and I'm also nowhere near as active in these forums as I used to be, or in the ubuntu forums where I used to be really active. I try to help now and again but I just don't have the time I used to have. Also, I've learned a lot and I don't need the help I used to need in the beginning either (plus things are just easier and for the most part work once I've got them setup). Now I pretty much keep all my machines stable for 2 years and upgrade OS and software and maybe some hardware every 2 years (which I need to do this year). I don't constantly tinker with my HTPC setups anymore.

Now I spend more of my "hobby" time on home automation...
+1

Reflects my situation, and I suspect many other veterans here.

It's a testament to how much better/stable things are vs the early 2000's in HTPC-land.

Yes, once you've "grown up"- you don't *want* to re-install more than once every year or two.

The Ubuntu A/V forums appear active- the more techie nature of Linux may cause many users to migrate to their distro forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=334&
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=333&

There are also other good computer audio/server forums like hydrogenaudio, head-fi, welltemperedcomputer, computeraudiophile, etc

http://www.head-fi.org/f/
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/

Most of my hobby time is now involved with audiophile clubs, and their focus is audio vs HT/video serving. Most of them use Mac Mini's with iPad's or Android tablets for control and library management. I have installed Ubuntu for several members on spare netbooks/notebooks/desktops when feasible.

For basic A/V playback, I've been buying up refurb Philips BluRay set top's with 3D, wifi and USB inputs for less than $40 shipped

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They play 1080p mkv/avi/mp4 video files and MP3/aac/flac/AC3/DTS audio files from USB sticks, FAT32/NTFS USB hard drives, and burned DVD's, and commercial CD/DVD/BD's. Impossible to beat value in a disc/file 1080p media player for every TV in the house (4+).

So, most of my desktop PC time is spent with audio library management, A/V conversions and authoring, file server management, etc. Routine web use is now done on my C720 Chromebook or an Android 4.4+ tablet- I plan to try a new Bay Trail quad core unit-

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC7VY3S/...ERO1XCIK&psc=1

with the hope that it will be able to run a future Ubuntu/Mint release, since it's "standard" PC hardware vs ARM.

I do plan to build another MythTV/XBMC HTPC for den HT with Qam tuners- I am lucky to have unscrambled basic digital cable (SD)- AE/SyFy/HIST/AMC/~80 channels plus locals in HD unscrambled.

I am typing this on my C720 Chromebook. I do plan to dual boot it with an Ubuntu variant soon (Bodhi 3.x)
http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/201...acer-c720.html

Bodhi 3.0 has been patched to support all the C720 hardware. I'm hoping Ubuntu 14.10/Mint 18 will fully support the C720, and/or other distros like Puppy, etc.

Last edited by Rgb; 07-01-2014 at 09:40 AM.
post #5 of 40 Old 07-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think there are a number of factors:

(*) Most everything works "out-of-the-box" now with little to no confusing extra configuration steps to perform (speaking of Linux).
(*) There is no need to look for specialized hardware with the exception of matching tuners to video sources.
(*) Cable and satellite companies have made it difficult NOT to bundle a DVR with their services.
(*) The number of devices that stream online video services and local media to your T.V. has increased exponentially in the past few years.
(*) People that pop in and join the forum looking for a "quick fix" are typically ungrateful (which is to be expected, but it gets old).
(*) I've met VERY FEW people that even understand what an HTPC is, let alone want to build one, let alone want to do it with open source software.

So, basically, there's just little to no demand for what we've been doing here. That doesn't mean that I'm going to STOP, though, because I still enjoy it, and I highly respect the opinions and experiences of the regulars here.
post #6 of 40 Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysadmin View Post
I think there are a number of factors:

(*) Most everything works "out-of-the-box" now with little to no confusing extra configuration steps to perform (speaking of Linux).
(*) There is no need to look for specialized hardware with the exception of matching tuners to video sources.
(*) Cable and satellite companies have made it difficult NOT to bundle a DVR with their services.
(*) The number of devices that stream online video services and local media to your T.V. has increased exponentially in the past few years.
(*) People that pop in and join the forum looking for a "quick fix" are typically ungrateful (which is to be expected, but it gets old).
(*) I've met VERY FEW people that even understand what an HTPC is, let alone want to build one, let alone want to do it with open source software.

So, basically, there's just little to no demand for what we've been doing here. That doesn't mean that I'm going to STOP, though, because I still enjoy it, and I highly respect the opinions and experiences of the regulars here.
Good points and I agree especially with the plethora of streaming boxes available today.

There was a time when I used XBMC to access sites like Hulu, Pandora, youtube, etc but found myself implementing bug fixes and patches more that actually using those plugins...can't even begin to count the number of times I'd want to watch something, fire-up XBMC, and then discover the @#$% plugin had stopped working...aaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!

I Finally threw in the towel and picked up a Roku for the living room and Chromecast for the bedroom, now every time I want to use some of the latter mentioned plugins, the Roku and Chromecast boxes just work...no more plugin nightmare.

Now my Linux HTPC acts as a back-end MythTV server and XBMC provides the eye candy for my ripped DVD's along with the frontend to MythTV.

Last edited by bac522; 07-01-2014 at 06:07 PM.
post #7 of 40 Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Agree with the notion Linux setup being a lot easier to do, impacting the questions and traffic here. But I think smart phones and streaming boxes have had a big impact. Especially with the people who rather would avoid the work of doing a HTPC. Face it - as a group we all have had our share of setup to do and it's more work than the average Joe wants to do. We just also think its fun.

I'm still running my software on the server end but have replaced all the Linux front end machines with apple tvs. Wrote an iOS app to access the server and use Airplay to play it on the apple tv that is in the room. It works really well. Watch amazon prime the same way with their app. And use the native apple tv apps like HBOGo, Netflix, and Podcast to round out the rest of the Internet video we are interested in watching.

Hardware-wise just upgraded the HDHomeruns to the recent HDHomerun Plus so all my local OTA recordings are in mpeg4 with the hardware doing the heavy work.
post #8 of 40 Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree that few people know what a HTPC is, or how to use it.

A few years ago I gave my brother-in-law my older MythTV/HTPC, because I built a new one. It had a Pentium 2 in a Silverstone HTPC case, ATI HDTV Wonder tuner, a Microsoft remote with the receiver built inside, and a nVidia graphics card (it also had a Turtle Beach audio card, with TOSLINK outputs). I set it up for him, and hooked to his audio amp. When I showed him some of the Linux games, he freaked out! He said that I was burning an image into his plasma TV. I also showed him how he could just use it as a DVR.

My sister said it was never touched after that. He had disconnect the antenna cable because he said it was making his TV reception bad.

Most people don't respect something that is "home-made", but if they pay for something, then it must be good.
post #9 of 40 Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Most people don't respect something that is "home-made", but if they pay for something, then it must be good.
That's a nice one...

Paying for something usually means there is someone to be held accountable if anything goes wrong...
post #10 of 40 Old 07-02-2014, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I will say since going to OTA last summer, my HTPC has seen much more use as a MythTV backend. I then cut out the commercials and transcode to mp4 for use on my Roku and Chromecast.

But in general you just don't see that many newbies coming to the forum now...maybe a lot of that also has to do with tablet's taking a toll on PC sales. The gotham version of XBMC runs pretty good on Android tablets now...of course most teenagers now consider an 5" 7", & 10" screen to be the new home theater experience...LOL!
post #11 of 40 Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 PM

Liked: 39
since 2009 there were floods of embedded streamers + tuner that were decent, then good, then better than most HTPCs.

Now there is the second stage with similar things with Android, that has MUCH better support from commercial streaming providers and more or less anything else you can load on a tablet (which is a lot).

To put it mildly, low and mid-end HTPCs are utterly obsolete, and high-end ones are facing stronger and stronger competition as better and better embedded or Android mediaboxes come out.

So yeah, if windows-based HTPCs are getting a serious hit go figure about linux that has always been niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balky
Paying for something usually means there is someone to be held accountable if anything goes wrong...
usually more like someone to shout at over the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522
The gotham version of XBMC runs pretty good on Android tablets now...of course most teenagers now consider an 5" 7", & 10" screen to be the new home theater experience...LOL!
Newsflash, screen mirroring is common for Android devices... can usually mirror to a tv if you buy a cheap miracast or google cast dongle.

And we are talking of all devices with Android ICS or newer, so most devices from 2012 or newer.

Last edited by bobafetthotmail; 07-06-2014 at 08:12 PM.
post #12 of 40 Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

More reasons why HTPC's (DIY or not) have been declining:

M8 Quad Core Android 4.4 Smart Set Top TV Box XBMC 3D Blu-ray 4K Streaming Media Player Miracast DLNA Receiver ~$100
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JYCE1PU/...SIN=B00JYCE1PU

Philips 2985 Wifi 3D, USB CD/DVD/BD/HD media file player ~$40
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

iView 3500STBII Multi-Function Digital Converter Box (ATSC+QAM tuner) with DVR Recording and Media Playback (Composite, Component HD and HDMI 480i-1080p outputs) ~$30
http://www.amazon.com/3500STBII-Mult.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

Asus Chromebox
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX...Asus+ChromeBox

The Chromebox looks like a great MythTV/Ubuntu dual boot option with the Haswell CPU

That said, I still plan to have DIY HTPC/PVR's under a couple of TV's, because these kinds of devices ALWAYS have gotchas, bugs and exceptions re: file formats, networking, web browsing, etc.

Last edited by Rgb; 07-14-2014 at 08:35 AM.
post #13 of 40 Old 07-14-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

So, can any of those devices play Flash video?

As much as I hate Adobe and Flash, I watch sports programming from the internet and need it. I made a HTPC with an Atom/ION board. It worked great as an OTA MythTV box, but it couldn't handle Flash videos. I also had a Roku player, utter garbage, I threw it in the trash!

I eventually made a MythTV HTPC with an Intel quad-core CPU and a nVidia graphics card. It's not exactly a power saver, but I can use it for everything.
post #14 of 40 Old 07-14-2014, 06:09 PM

flash should work on the android devices (although i haven't tried it) --> http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...android-phone/

that m8 looks pretty cool, too. i still can't figure out why they won't put gigabit on any of those things. N works okay, but, you know...

i have a roku that i use with plex, and i really like it. some cool free roku channels, too: horror, comedy, etc.
post #15 of 40 Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
ChromeOS (Chromebox/book with the Haswell 2955U cpu/gpu) and Android 4.4 (M8) with the Chrome browser both play Flash with hardware GPU acceleration.

Both are nice hardware for the $$$.

It is trivial to install an Ubuntu based linux on the 2955U based ChromeOS machines.

The Atom based ION mobos were WAY underpowered CPU-wise, causing the poor Flash performance. The 2955U is at least 3x the CPU speed and with better GPU acceleration.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500027

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...30+%40+1.60GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...5U+%40+1.40GHz

Last edited by Rgb; 07-15-2014 at 08:28 AM.
post #16 of 40 Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As much as I hate Adobe and Flash, I watch sports programming from the internet and need it. I made a HTPC with an Atom/ION board. It worked great as an OTA MythTV box, but it couldn't handle Flash videos. I also had a Roku player, utter garbage, I threw it in the trash!
Have you tried Amazon Prime video streaming on your Linux loads?

post #17 of 40 Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

BTW, I sold my C720 Chromebook earlier this week and am back to using my D525 based
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...25+%40+1.80GHz

Acer netbook with X-precise 2.4 (an XFCE based Puppy Linux)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87717

Nice to be back on Firefox 30+ with all the ad/script blocking extensions.

Functionally the same as a Chromebook but with all the local FOSS apps and better privacy (except for Netflix streaming, which I don't personally use, though no reason Pipelight shouldn't work.)

I plan to try installing the current Chrome browser for sites needing the latest Flash.

I broke even on the C720, selling it for what I paid in Nov 2013- 9 months of use for free

Last edited by Rgb; 07-15-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #18 of 40 Old 07-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
...Is using Linux as a HTPC systems just gotten that good or that bad?
I've not been involved in this forum before, but wanted to add (from a cable subscriber perspective):

Been maintaining a MythTV setup for ~9.5 years now. Certainly the process to get up and running has improved tenfold since I started, so 1 for the "that good" column.

The replies noting streaming devices, TiVo, the lack of many to really "get involved" that deeply, etc. are all very valid, but the introduction of DRM/CCI flags has, in my opinion, been one of the largest factors to deter the use of Linux-based DVRs. DRM put my MythTV setup in third place usage-wise in our home. I now do my daily watching on a (ugh!) Win7/WMC setup with CableCard tuner so I can access all the channels we subscribe to, my wife uses the lone cable co. DVR as her daily driver, and the MythTV setup handles a bunch of recordings for her on those channels we get in the clear through Brighthouse. Have a PVR-150 and 350 in that box as we still get analog stations!

Wish some Linux distro(s) would implement a CableLabs approved DRM scheme but am not holding my breath. Although the new Android TV platform looks promising...
bac522 likes this.
post #19 of 40 Old 07-15-2014, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
I've not been involved in this forum before, but wanted to add (from a cable subscriber perspective):

Been maintaining a MythTV setup for ~9.5 years now. Certainly the process to get up and running has improved tenfold since I started, so 1 for the "that good" column.

The replies noting streaming devices, TiVo, the lack of many to really "get involved" that deeply, etc. are all very valid, but the introduction of DRM/CCI flags has, in my opinion, been one of the largest factors to deter the use of Linux-based DVRs. DRM put my MythTV setup in third place usage-wise in our home. I now do my daily watching on a (ugh!) Win7/WMC setup with CableCard tuner so I can access all the channels we subscribe to, my wife uses the lone cable co. DVR as her daily driver, and the MythTV setup handles a bunch of recordings for her on those channels we get in the clear through Brighthouse. Have a PVR-150 and 350 in that box as we still get analog stations!

Wish some Linux distro(s) would implement a CableLabs approved DRM scheme but am not holding my breath. Although the new Android TV platform looks promising...

Good point, now that I think about it, I've been on this forum for quite some time and do recall now that it started getting quiet here as DRM become more prevalent.

On a different note, if you want to go back to MythTV as you main DVR, take a look at SiliconDust products, they support CableCards and work with MythTV.
post #20 of 40 Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Good point, now that I think about it, I've been on this forum for quite some time and do recall now that it started getting quiet here as DRM become more prevalent.

On a different note, if you want to go back to MythTV as you main DVR, take a look at SiliconDust products, they support CableCards and work with MythTV.
Unfortunately it will only work with "copy free" channels in Linux... YMMV.

post #21 of 40 Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Yup, therein lies my problem. I basically only watch sports, especially college football. My Ceton InfiniTV does work in MythTV but there are no unprotected HD ESPNs here, only the locals and analog .

Rather OT, but one of the reasons I got into the HTPC game was to build "The Wall" - 3 - 4 screens in the same room for football Saturdays. Many plan changes (and years, and concessions) later my wife agreed to and allowed me my indulgence:

Initially (WAY back when) intended to use MythTV frontends for the 3 above the bigscreen, but then DRM hit. Many Linux HTPC users migrated to Windoze/WMC setups once DRM showed up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00106.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	163201  
post #22 of 40 Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I had forgotten about that...another reason I'll stick with OTA.
post #23 of 40 Old 07-26-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
I remember when I started on my initial quest to use Linux as an HTPC system almost 10 years ago, this forum was hoping with a ton of knowledgeable users, but it seems within the last year or two it has really become stagnant...Is using Linux as a HTPC systems just gotten that good or that bad? Are there more active forums around?

Granted I got my Linux based HTPC system running pretty smoothly, but from a hobbyist perspective always looking for that next tweak!
My system 12.04 xubuntu is a mythtv server, mail server, appletalk (time machine backup server), surveillance cameras recorder, media server, private vpn server, plex server and samba server and it runs so well I almost forget it is running 24/7 and I am out of town for months at a time! I was looking at upgrading this last week to 14.04 and the upgrade broke everything in my system - thank God for backups. I spent one day just trying to get the apache2 server running, all kinds of things have changed in the apache setup alone not to mention missing bins needed for back porting the mods I have made. Fortunately the backup took 30 min to restore and I was back up and running. Anyone else had any upgrade nightmares with 12.04 > 14.04?
post #24 of 40 Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 PM

@MichaelZ :

You really can't expect a distro upgrade after 2 years to work, IME. I'm that guy that (after making sure data is backed up) rebuilds the whole system from scratch every 6 months or so. OR I'll use a rolling distro making sure to have full system backups before periodic updates / upgrades. But the latter requires a lot of maintenance.

My suggestion is to do a fresh install, stay on top of updates, and go with *buntu's 6-month distro upgrades (after full backups, of course). This way you can catch things as they change (and they are always changing).
post #25 of 40 Old 07-26-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post
Anyone else had any upgrade nightmares with 12.04 > 14.04?
I had similar problems going form 13 to 14 as well...never had upgrade problems in the past. Screwed me up so bad I had to live boot a CD, save my data, and then do a fresh install of 14.04 LTS. Decided for now to keep my HTPC at the current version which is 13.something.
post #26 of 40 Old 07-26-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
@MichaelZ :

You really can't expect a distro upgrade after 2 years to work, IME. I'm that guy that (after making sure data is backed up) rebuilds the whole system from scratch every 6 months or so. OR I'll use a rolling distro making sure to have full system backups before periodic updates / upgrades. But the latter requires a lot of maintenance.

My suggestion is to do a fresh install, stay on top of updates, and go with *buntu's 6-month distro upgrades (after full backups, of course). This way you can catch things as they change (and they are always changing).
If you have to re-compile the OS every 6 months IMHO Linux as an HTPC platform deserves to die. Wife gets upset when I have to D/L fresh guide information when ComCast shuffles channels. I can imagine the reaction to having to start fresh twice a year.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #27 of 40 Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
If you have to re-compile the OS every 6 months IMHO Linux as an HTPC platform deserves to die. Wife gets upset when I have to D/L fresh guide information when ComCast shuffles channels. I can imagine the reaction to having to start fresh twice a year.
Bad wording on my part. By "rebuild from scratch" I meant re-install. This goes the same for Windows. Would you run any version of Windows for 2 years without updating anything then expect a version upgrade to work, or would you simply backup data then re-install with the new OS and apps?

Also, I'm not married, so I don't have the WAF to deal with. But even if I did, she'd just have to get over it with her impatient self.
post #28 of 40 Old 07-26-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Actually my W7 HTPC hasn't even been rebooted in 6 months, Windows installed 2.5 years ago.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #29 of 40 Old 07-27-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
@MichaelZ :

I've been using ubuntu for a server since warty I think that was 2004(?) and since 2006 I've been basically using the LTS version for my server so I update every two years (I do install the security updates for the server as needed). I've only had minor problems on the distribution updates and can usually fix them very quickly but my server has so became so complex that to reinstall from scratch would take a couple of days - if not longer. It has been so long since I originally installed some of the programs I am not exactly sure I remember how to configure them. The mail server alone has so many interconnected programs (postfix, clamav, courier imap,pop,ssl, squirrel mail, postgrey, etc.) it was a nightmare to originally install not to mention how much I've modified the apache server with various pieces written or modified and recompiled by me. I might just leave it alone until I can build a test machine to see if I can rebuild it from scratch or maybe I'll wait until the next LTS 16.04.

Last edited by MichaelZ; 07-27-2014 at 07:17 AM.
post #30 of 40 Old 07-27-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Actually my W7 HTPC hasn't even been rebooted in 6 months...
Do you have this on a UPS for backup power?

I have two PCs running Linux, a dedicated MythTV PVR, and another as a file server. I have them on 24/7, without a UPS. I just check and they both only have 71 days uptime. That must be the last power outage I had.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page