I need help with my Ubuntu Srv build, badly - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I need help with my Ubuntu Srv build, badly

I am ashamed to say I am actually a computer engineer, but I am constantly tripped up by Linux. I am completely comfortable with command line operations. I have two Xeon X5470 on an Intel S5000PSL board w/ 16GB of Ram (can install more if necessary). I installed Ubuntu Server and decided I was not going to take the easy way out and use Windows Server.

I have 4x1TB drives on the Intel board that I want to run as RAID 5. I thought I had set up a software RAID 5 once but I was unable to mount, and tons of problems after that. I purchased a Geforce GT 610 for HDMI out, and an IOCrest card for adding more drives at a later date.

I am trying to figure out how to build and mount my RAID 5 properly. Then I'd like to figure out how to properly use mythTV.

Anyone care to lend advice or help walk me thru the process?

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I have been using Linux for over a decade, but I don't have any experience with Linux RAID. But I do have a ton of experience with MythTV. I may still be able to help you with the process of building a RAID array in Linux. I hope some AVS members with experience will jump in to help.

First, you need to supply more detailed information:

* How did you create your RAID array? Did you follow a guide?

* How did you try and mount the array? What commands/methods did you use?

I suppose that you have already searched the internet for How-Tos on Linux RAID, as did I. I may be able to find one that suits this application. Here's one that looks good. It uses the Linux RAID command tool "mdadm":

http://www.slashroot.in/how-configur...-level-5-linux
Old 07-12-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
did you try to set up raid from the installer? it's been a while since i've done it, but it was fairly straightforward.

this howto appears to be old, don't know if anything has changed: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/SoftwareRAID
Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys! Thanks for your responses. I did some reading and more reading and finally think I sorted the status of my raid setup. I think I'll be able to finish that part up with a little more work searching.

This leaves me to wonder about Myth TV. What is Backend vs. Front end? I have an idea as the terms are common but I want to be sure my guess is correct.

I would assume the steps are to setup the backend for the house, and then a frontend @ each TV.

How do I go about setting up? Is there a good guide somewhere?

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 21
'Mythbackend' is a process that runs in the background and handles scheduling, recording and serving content to the frontend(s). The main user interface to Myth is 'mythfrontend'. Normally, it takes over the screen and sound output, plays your media and allows you to manage it. Multiple frontends typically connect to a single ("master") backend. Mythfrontend can run on the same machine as the backend.

Just to complicate things, however, you can have multiple backends. One backend must be the master; any others are slaves. A slave backend will have tuners attached to it. Suppose your master backend has a limited number of slots available, fewer than the number of tuner cards you want to use. You can set up the extra tuner cards in slave backend(s) and the master will direct them to make recordings, as necessary.

One other point...the MySQL database. Myth stores your guide information, recording rules, settings and other stuff in a MySQL database. Normally, the database software also runs on the backend machine but it can be elsewhere on your network.

Your Myth system can run on a single machine or be spread out to every computer connected to your local area network!
Craig
Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I set up an Ubuntu Server with some VMs recently, and the guides on these two sites helped a lot

http://zackreed.me/articles

http://www.havetheknowhow.com/default.htm
Old 07-15-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I'm going to give these a read, and see where i get!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
xbmc
Old 07-17-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz View Post
This leaves me to wonder about Myth TV. What is Backend vs. Front end? I have an idea as the terms are common but I want to be sure my guess is correct.
Are you planning on recording video from OTA, satellite, or Cable? That's the primary purpose of MythTV, If you're just looking for some eye candy to setup movie posters and info on the movies from locally stored video, than XBMC is a better choice.

I use MythTV backend to record video from my OTA antenna (ABC, CBS, Fox, etc) and then use XBMC (with cmyth addon) as my frontend to watch that recorded video along with watching my ripped DVD/BR movies I store on my NAS.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Are you planning on recording video from OTA, satellite, or Cable? That's the primary purpose of MythTV, If you're just looking for some eye candy to setup movie posters and info on the movies from locally stored video, than XBMC is a better choice.

I use MythTV backend to record video from my OTA antenna (ABC, CBS, Fox, etc) and then use XBMC (with cmyth addon) as my frontend to watch that recorded video along with watching my ripped DVD/BR movies I store on my NAS.
I am using MythTV to record cable with my HDHomeRun Prime. After that I will get into XBMC for my movie and music collection. I want non-tech visitors to be able to use my home theater setup.

What do you use to capture antenna? I know HDHomerun cannot do that.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
I am using MythTV to record cable with my HDHomeRun Prime. After that I will get into XBMC for my movie and music collection. I want non-tech visitors to be able to use my home theater setup.

When you have your tuners and guide setup in myth, you can just use it as a backend with pvr.myth in xbmc. Cmyth based xbmc add-on will be on the way out

HDHomerun works with ATSC OTA
HDHomerun Prime works with Cablecard
Old 07-18-2014, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
... What do you use to capture antenna? I know HDHomerun cannot do that.
The "Dual" tunes North American broadcast TV (ATSC) from an antenna and allows you to record it:

http://www.silicondust.com/products/...dhomerun-dual/

The "Plus" is just like a Dual but it can transcode the captured stream to reduce the bit rate and make the stream compatible (H264) with certain mobile devices. Note that they are still waiting for a license from Dolby Labs and therefore the audio stream is the limiting factor for a number of players. When (if?) they get the license, a firmware upgrade should enable transcoding the audio, too.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdtc-2us/

Craig
Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I currently use Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600, put I've got my eye on SiliconDust HDHomeRun PLUS for the dual tuner and the real time encoding to OTA mpeg2 streams in H.264 so that devices like tablets and smart phones can watch live TV.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
I currently use Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600, put I've got my eye on SiliconDust HDHomeRun PLUS for the dual tuner and the real time encoding to OTA mpeg2 streams in H.264 so that devices like tablets and smart phones can watch live TV.
I had just got a HDhomerun plus and it only worked for two days then died. While it worked it worked pretty well. Fortunately, I contacted silcondust and they cross-shipped me a replacement with free shipment both ways, a real class act. BTW, I bought one of the first hdhomeruns years ago and it is stll working great. Also, I am using mythtv 0.25 and the h264 output from the hdhr plus output the h264 wrapped in the standard .mpg wrapper, weird. I then used mkvmerge to convert to mkv and it plays flawlessly.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

I purchased an Nvidia GeForce 610 for my backend/frontend PC, which I plan to have a number of uses. Was this a good move? What do you guys use?

Whats the most power efficient frontend setup?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Intel integrated
Old 07-31-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I purchased an Nvidia GeForce 610 for my backend/frontend PC, which I plan to have a number of uses. Was this a good move? What do you guys use?

I have a 610 in my HTPC works great, no problems, just use the Nvidia drivers so that decoding of video like mpeg2 occurs using the GPU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement