Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 41 Old 12-15-2002, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just started a thread on a stand alone media server running sme works fine and took a total of 45 min to install and setup.. acts as a guiless server check out http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/////s...87#post1641387

it has my setup information and what i run.. works fine for streaming mp3's havent tried to stream video as of yet and i am looking for information on streaming video across my lan. whats nice about sme is it acts as a firewall switch mp3 server http server email server and file server. I run a small website via my dsl using dyndns which is also built into the server so you can do away with a static ip address.

anyway please feel free to add your setup information to the other post so others looking at setting up thier own media server this will hopfully keep people from being intimidating by linux as a server..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 12-16-2002, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Will do :)
post #33 of 41 Old 12-23-2002, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Great thread. Thanks.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. I've decided on RedHat 8.0. I'd like to understand Linux a little bit before I start building my media server.

First of all, should I get the $40 version from Red Hat--- or pay $10 or $15 from some internet distributor?

I was planning to pay Red Hat $60 per year to access their Redhat network... for upgrades, and quick access to downloads. Any thoughts on this? Is this service worth it? And do I have to buy from Redhat initially to be able to use the Redhat network?

Thanks

Pocatello
post #34 of 41 Old 12-24-2002, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't pay anything at all, I downloaded it and burned it to CD (this may not be an option of you're on dialup of course!). I havn't paid redhat anything as they allow one system to recieve updates for free, and I find their server pretty fast. You can have more than one system on their database, and de-register one and re-register another to gain updates.

No you don't have to already have RH installed to access it RH's online services. They even send an email when an update is available for my configuration. The amount of online documentation is massive, but this does mean it';s someties hard to find what you're looking for (see my thread about ATA 100!).
post #35 of 41 Old 12-24-2002, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow! That is great. I thought that the size of the files was so huge, buying them on CD was the way to go. I have a cable modem, which is reasonably fast.

Do you have a high speed connection?

Red Hat sounds great. I don't know how they make a profit, giving away their products and services.

Thanks for the insight.

Pocatello
post #36 of 41 Old 12-26-2002, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've got 512kb modem, I left it overnight doing each CD, you need the first three discs at 644, 635 and 646mb respectively. Takes a few hours :)

http://www.redhat.com/download/howto_download.html

There's links to mirrors on that page if it's too slow.
post #37 of 41 Old 01-02-2003, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

dont know if i am stepping into this late but Pocatello
what do you really want on your server?? what will be its usage??do you plan on using this thing like an everyday computer?? an htpc?? write docs surf the web pop3 email client?? if yes to any of them then download redhat or mandrake.. if all you want is a file share for your media files then dont waste your time.. check into sme server. you will not regret it.. doing what it is desidned for instead of trying to be a jack of all trades type of computer..
post #38 of 41 Old 01-02-2003, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comments, Pen25.

I've got two goals in mind... one is a media server, and the E-smith stuff sounds great.

As for my other goal, Red Hat Linux on a generic computer for web surfing and email for the wife and kids. I think this should all work.

One problem is I don't have any type of optical burner. I think I need a CD burner to take the downloaded ISO files and put them on a CD for a bootable CD.

Pocatello
post #39 of 41 Old 03-10-2003, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Time for a bump.

Any news in the media server world?

I've been too busy to play with HT stuff for the past two months, but my mind again turns to media servers.

There is a special at Dell right now on brand new computers: $297 for a P4 2.4 gig with 533 bus, 40 gig hard drive, 128 mb memory. Quite a steal.

This got me to thinking about my dream media server again.

Any thoughts?

Pocatello
post #40 of 41 Old 03-10-2003, 12:36 PM

Just a side note:
If you want the highest possible quality for images use png instead of jpeg, because it is lossless but has good filesizes cause it uses zlib compression.
post #41 of 41 Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Well my server *was* running fine until about a week ago when the 5 year old segate 4gig OS drive fialed. Of course I had just decided that it was stable enough to warrant ghosting and keeping as a permanent setup. Whoops :) In the process of getting back to how it was now.

The quality of my photos isn;t a huge criteria for me, and I "know" jpegs. I guess I could take a look at png tho' :)
Closed Thread HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page