Linux computer, multiple outputs, multiple streams - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Linux computer, multiple outputs, multiple streams

Hello,

I have read through a bunch of posts, but I have not found exactly what I am looking for. Please help if you can.

I have an Elan s6 that my brother in law gave me. It has six zones and six sources. I have an old Linux laptop machine that I hope to serve my mp3 collection from.

What I would like is a software (preferably free) that can have maybe 4-5 stereo streams going to the s6. I want to be able to control each stream individually and probably be able to have different playlists for each stream. I would like an easy way to control the audio of each stream.

I am picturing a single software package with either multiple usb sound cards or one usb sound card with many outputs. I would
Like decent sound quality. I think it would be slick to be able to control each stream from a web interface.

Any suggestions?

Thanks I advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdough View Post
Hello,

I have read through a bunch of posts, but I have not found exactly what I am looking for. Please help if you can.

I have an Elan s6 that my brother in law gave me. It has six zones and six sources. I have an old Linux laptop machine that I hope to serve my mp3 collection from.

What I would like is a software (preferably free) that can have maybe 4-5 stereo streams going to the s6. I want to be able to control each stream individually and probably be able to have different playlists for each stream. I would like an easy way to control the audio of each stream.

I am picturing a single software package with either multiple usb sound cards or one usb sound card with many outputs. I would
Like decent sound quality. I think it would be slick to be able to control each stream from a web interface.

Any suggestions?

Thanks I advance.
You would probably need to run multiple virtual machines to do what you want. You could buy cheap usb sound adapters and each VM could be assigned one USB. I've never done this on a linux machine but I've done something like this on a mac with osx running parallels as well as vmware not sure if it would work on virtualbox but it is free.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-05-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
interesting idea, but the only way i can think that it would work is to use multiple usb audio cards as you mentioned. i don't think you would need vm's like mike said, but you would need multiple instances of your player software, and the players would have to be controllable programmatically. then you'd have to develop your own ui to control the players, playlists, and zones -- i've never seen anything that does that. and this is all assuming that the cpu can handle it all.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysadmin View Post
interesting idea, but the only way i can think that it would work is to use multiple usb audio cards as you mentioned...
This can be done if you control the USB cards using JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit). I have done this as an experiment, using two USB sound cards, in planning to try and record some of my old Quadrophonic (4-channel) albums.

I will have to dig up the notes that I made on how to do this, if you are interested.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
This can be done if you control the USB cards using JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit). I have done this as an experiment, using two USB sound cards, in planning to try and record some of my old Quadrophonic (4-channel) albums.

I will have to dig up the notes that I made on how to do this, if you are interested.
Yes, please provide your notes if you can.

I am looking at maybe using mplayer with a web front end. Then I could maybe launch all of my instances and then combine the web based controls into one page. I am not sure how well that would work. Just a thought.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
you can probably do it directly in ALSA, too, if you don't want to use JACK --> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc
post #7 of 7 Old 08-10-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramdough View Post
Yes, please provide your notes if you can.
Sorry for the late reply.

I was looking for the notes that I thought I had made. All I could find was a series of emails on the subject, between me and another member of our local LUG (Linux User Group).

I was first directed to review this thread on the Ubuntu Forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1128748

Now, here is my emailed reply after successfully creating the additional audio devices:

Quote:
OK, now that I had some time to look it over, I think I understand what it does.

It seems to take other audio device input/outputs and create a sort of "virtual" connection for it. I ran these commands to create the two virtual connections for the two USB sound cards:

jack_load audioadapter -i "-d hw:1"
jack_load audioadapter -i "-d hw:2"

The on-board sound device is hw:0. It wouldn't let me name the virtual inputs to "USB1" & "USB2" like I wanted, but it made two "audioadapter" inputs:

audioadapter
audioadapter-01
Now that I look at it, it seems simple and straight-forward. I believe the quotations surrounding the hardware device are needed. I don't currently have JACK installed, so I can't test it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page