$75 Server or Media Client - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #151 of 205 Old 01-17-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Hey Charles,

Finally made a case for my C2 with the Monoprice 3D printer- a simple slip case:
Mine actually came out better than the one below- looks like he had a problem about 40% into the build- mine came out smooth.

There's actually quite a few Odroid and C2 projects for 3D printing up on thingverse...
http://www.thingiverse.com/search/page:1?q=odroid&sa=
ajhieb likes this.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!”
M. Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 205 Old 01-17-2017, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Hey Charles,

Finally made a case for my C2 with the Monoprice 3D printer- a simple slip case:
Sounds great. I'll commission you.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |
post #153 of 205 Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey Charles,

Here's what I got sucked into and I mean sucked into... it's a 420mm radiator and three 140mm (magnetic) fans. Looks like I'll end using about 100 fittings (running the tubing the way I want) and being too cheap to order a ton of them I keep ordering a few I know I'll need for sure and waiting a week for them to arrive. Right now I'm waiting on two 30mm extenders so I can connect the pump (all the way at the bottom - hidden in the image - top reservoir connector goes to the CPU) to the radiator. Ends up since I don't want to run the tubing "down the fans" I'll need four fittings (off the radiator) to work around the metal case support. Hopefully the tubing will run right down the fan's right side... if I'm lucky.

I pretty much wish I didn't order the red case. For one reason or another the red is much more susceptible to chipping. The black one I have is fine. I had an issue with the radiator support bracket and waited a week for Thermaltake to deliver a replacement bracket. They shipped a used one that looks a little better but not much. I'm going to go with yellow coolant for a little contrast.

Here's a few shots with the coolant going in. You can see how confident I am via the towel resting on the power supply. So far so good. I was wondering why the top fan wasn't as bright (as the others) then I realized I had configured it for 30% power and the others are still set to 100%. Not that it really matters but on the surface it appears (at idle) to be close to the previous temperature when I was using the Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04186a.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	1905465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04196a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1909033   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04205a.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1910401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04208a.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1910409  

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 01-21-2017 at 08:41 PM.

post #154 of 205 Old 01-23-2017, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well I put a bow on the water cooler upgrade as you can see from the images below. I ended up gutting the Core P3 (black) build and moving most of the pieces to the Core P3 (red) build. I was going to start fresh but I didn't see much of an actual upgrade in performance (not that I'll use what I already have) and the motherboard I wanted to use hasn't shipped anyway... Just waiting for the remaining water bubbles to clear (about 25% left) before I place the cap on the reservoir.

Was the upgrade worthwhile? I'll be the first to say no. Although I am getting older and it does remove one item from my bucket list. If I had all the time in the world and nothing better to do I would try a solid clear tubing (PETG) build. Probably using the P5 case (much larger). I just noticed Thermaltake has a P1 version of this case. It's much smaller although it's also rather cute.

From three feet away I can hear the "exhaust" tube more than the three fans. The first few hours it gurgled and now it's an ocean breeze. Covering it up it's virtually silent with only a hint of air whirling. So far I have been impressed with the quality of the Thermaltake custom water cooler parts. The pump/reservoir is completely silent and very well constructed. The fittings are solid brass and the water block again is nicely constructed. Certainly not cheap but you feel like you are getting what you paid for... high-end design and materials. Too often you pay high-end and get far less.

Of the stock water coolers I prefer the Corsair and it is very nice. I might save it for another build or let eBay have it. I don't have the stock fans so I'll need to replace them or let it go with the red Corsair magnetic fans. I'm not sure the magnetic fans are worth their cost as I don't think they are inherently any quieter or their rated life is any longer. I just figure for the little difference (vs the entire build) why not...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04139a.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	1914841   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04120a.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	1914849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04242a.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1925545   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04244a.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1925553   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04262.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1931633  

aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by Charles R; 01-30-2017 at 02:10 PM.
post #155 of 205 Old 01-30-2017, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Getting back on topic I must say I'm pretty impressed with the XU4 running Plex Media Server. It is certainly not my i7 (running Ubuntu) but it is powerful enough to transcode one stream (without buffering) to my Roku Premiere+. Haven't tried two but I'm guessing it's a no go. Of course you could stream x clients if they didn't need transcoding. From what I can tell it might run DVBLink as well and I'm considering giving it a try. I have an unused license and the next time Fry's runs the tuners on promo I'll be tempted. I think SiliconDust's DVR might run as well on the XU4. If the XU4 can handle my DVR needs (4 tuners) I might be willing to drop TiVo (yet again)... just for a change. I guess I should look into the Plex DVR solution as well... although needing the pass makes it somewhat of a commitment.

Last edited by Charles R; 01-30-2017 at 02:11 PM.
post #156 of 205 Old 01-30-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1727 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I think SiliconDust's DVR might run as well on the XU4. If the XU4 can handle my DVR needs (4 tuners) I might be willing to drop TiVo (yet again)... just for a change.
It should run fine on that. I tested running the HDHomeRun record engine on a RPi2 with a USB2 external HDD. It could handle four recordings at once but when I tried playing a 5th stream whenever I skipped forward or backward it created glitches in the other recordings. I think that was due to the limited data throughput.
post #157 of 205 Old 01-30-2017, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
It should run fine on that. I tested running the HDHomeRun record engine on a RPi2 with a USB2 external HDD. It could handle four recordings at once but when I tried playing a 5th stream whenever I skipped forward or backward it created glitches in the other recordings. I think that was due to the limited data throughput.
That's two nice things about the ODROIDs... USB 3.0 and Gigabyte Ethernet. The third being the C2 will bitstream HD audio.

post #158 of 205 Old 01-30-2017, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's two nice things about the ODROIDs... USB 3.0 and Gigabyte Ethernet. The third being the C2 will bitstream HD audio.
I've been wanting to pick one up to play around with but I already have 4 Raspberry Pis. Maybe I'll give one of the RPis to my nephew. I'm curious if the C2 or X4 can run the HDHomeRun DVR client apk on Android.
post #159 of 205 Old 01-30-2017, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm curious if the C2 or X4 can run the HDHomeRun DVR client apk on Android.
Someone in this thread is running quite a few with Android... for TV if I remember. Here and here.

In most cases the C2 is a better client since it will bitstream HD audio and the XU4 is better server side being much more powerful.

Last edited by Charles R; 01-30-2017 at 04:57 PM.
post #160 of 205 Old 01-30-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Someone in this thread is running quite a few with Android... for TV if I remember. Here and here.

In most cases the C2 is a better client since it will bitstream HD audio and the XU4 is better server side being much more powerful.
Thanks.
post #161 of 205 Old 01-30-2017, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
I've been wanting to pick one up to play around with but I already have 4 Raspberry Pis. Maybe I'll give one of the RPis to my nephew. I'm curious if the C2 or X4 can run the HDHomeRun DVR client apk on Android.
C2 runs the green app just fine. I'm DRM from top to bottom on TWC/Spectrum so the grey app does me no good at the moment.

Right now I have C2s in my bedroom and kitchen and they work great for 1080P, stereo use. I haven't had the opportunity to connect one in my den where I can test 4K and HD audio, (Currently a Shield is handling that duty) but sometime soon I should be able to report on that.

App compatibility with them is hit or miss (TWC app won't work because it uses external HDMI) but most of the streaming services seem to do well with it.

Overall I'm very pleased.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #162 of 205 Old 01-31-2017, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post
C2 runs the green app just fine. I'm DRM from top to bottom on TWC/Spectrum so the grey app does me no good at the moment.
Thanks. I haven't fully deployed the HDHR DVR in the home yet either but I plan to after SD gets DRM working. If the C2 will play DRM with the grey app I might get a couple of them. I've been tempted to get a few cheap Win10 boxes but I have trust issues. I'm not comfortable with Win10 to begin with, and I certainly don't trust Win10 that comes pre-installed on a brand-x Chinese computer.
post #163 of 205 Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Thanks. I haven't fully deployed the HDHR DVR in the home yet either but I plan to after SD gets DRM working. If the C2 will play DRM with the grey app I might get a couple of them. I've been tempted to get a few cheap Win10 boxes but I have trust issues. I'm not comfortable with Win10 to begin with, and I certainly don't trust Win10 that comes pre-installed on a brand-x Chinese computer.
Yeah, I'm pretty wary of 10 right now as well. It looks like SD is finally making some headway with regards to DRM on their DVR so hopefully the Android app will be available soon.

If I get some time I'm going to see if I can get a version of Android TV compiled for the C2. If I can get that and DRM on the SD DVR my home theater ecosystem should be all set for the next several years.
(but considering I've never compiled Android before, I might be biting off more than I can chew.)

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #164 of 205 Old 02-10-2017, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Getting close to LibreELEC 8.0...

LibreELEC (Krypton) 8.0 preview releases continue with v7.95.3. This is a minor release to correct lirc issues and bring aarch64 devices (WeTek Hub/Play 2 and Odroid C2) up to Beta now that the memory fragmentation issue has been resolved. LibreELEC v7.95.3 is based upon Kodi Krypton 17.0 final. If no major issues are identified we expect 8.0.0 to be the next release.

post #165 of 205 Old 02-22-2017, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.0.0 RELEASE

https://libreelec.tv/2017/02/libreel...8-0-0-release/

AMLOGIC MIXED-ARCH BUILDS

If you have been using community created mixed-arch builds for Odroid C2, WeTek Hub and Play 2 (aarch64 kernel with 32-bit userspace) and want to revert to official builds you must remove 32-bit binary add-ons before updating as they will not run. You will also need to run “touch /storage/.update/.nocompat” to override the CPU arch check in the update process else it detects a mismatch and aborts. If you are currently using official builds there is nothing to do – update as normal.

post #166 of 205 Old 03-13-2017, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I ended up adding a large heatsink to the order which keeps the XU4 cooler than the stock fan. I'm hoping to mount a small fan above the heatsink as in ameriDroid's testing the combination will keep the XU4 from throttling at all. I'm sure I won't be stressing it but just knowing it isn't being throttled will be "peace of mind"
Thanks for pointing me to this thread ! Can you please state which components you ended up using for heatsink and fans ?
post #167 of 205 Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
Can you please state which components you ended up using for heatsink and fans ?
The C2 comes with a heat sink and I don't think there are any heat issues causing throttling. The XU4 has a built-in fan that can be heard although reasonable quiet. Based on what heat sink you use it may or may not perform better than the fan. I found the linked heat sink for a LOT less on eBay. When I purchased it from ameriDroid it was on sale. I just noticed the XU4 has dropped a few dollars and now doesn't include the power supply. It's still cheaper combined.

By default the XU4 spins the fan on/off every few seconds. I found out if wasn't heat related rather it was set via software and changing the CPU setting from Performance (to any of the others) stopped the fan cycling and even running tasks for over 24 hours I have yet to hear/see the fan spin. The other CPU settings slows the CPU until needed and allows the CPU to ramp up to full speed when needed or ramp up to a throttled setting.

I'd recommend trying the standard fan and see if you have any issues with throttling. It's easy enough to check via software and if so you could then attack it. Bottom line I'm running XU4 as is and the fan never spins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04440a.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	2023153  

Last edited by Charles R; 03-13-2017 at 07:54 AM.
post #168 of 205 Old 03-13-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a C2 shortage? No units in stock at Amazon and ameridroid.com.
post #169 of 205 Old 03-13-2017, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there a C2 shortage? No units in stock at Amazon and ameridroid.com.
We expect to restart selling from the middle of March. We are so sorry for the inconvenience.

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25811

post #170 of 205 Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks.
post #171 of 205 Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2017)

Our C2 is rather highly thought of... just a few of its "wins" listed here...

Q. Fastest - Appliance like - pure - Kodi boxes booting straight into LibreELEC Kodi (Highly recommended for Kodi use only):

Intel Hardware including the Chromebox
ODROID C2 (using eMMC Flash storage)

Q. Best 1080p/4K Bang for the Buck - Kodi only, HD Audio device ?
(All running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, easiest to hardest to setup, Wireless remote purchase recommended)

ODROID C2
/ WeTek Hub
MINIX U1
Various cheap AMLogic S905(X) devices.

Q. What about devices for 4K HEVC (H265) video playback over HDMI 2.0 to my non HDR capable 4K TV ?
NOTE: The Android OS cannot Automatically Resolution Switch from 1080p to 4K like you will get with Linux/LibreELEC Kodi devices.
Sharper video is produced when upscaling SD/HD video to 4K using a 4K TV's upscaling Hardware, instead of the media players.

All AMLogic S905 devices including WeTek's, MINIX U1, ODROID C2 + others

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916

post #172 of 205 Old 03-24-2017, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR

LibreELEC has been upgraded to Kodi 17.1 along with numerous native updates. As always you can upgrade right inside of Kodi... takes a good 3 minutes top.

post #173 of 205 Old 03-25-2017, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
LibreELEC has been upgraded to Kodi 17.1 along with numerous native updates. As always you can upgrade right inside of Kodi... takes a good 3 minutes top.
Just got my C2. I have no way to write to microSD (emmc via microSD adapter) other than through the C2. So, how can I get the emmc prepared for Libreelec installation? I am very surprised that I can't boot the C2 from USB to do the installation on emmc (unless I am missing something).
post #174 of 205 Old 03-25-2017, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joikd View Post
Just got my C2. I have no way to write to microSD (emmc via microSD adapter) other than through the C2.
For the C2 my understanding is if eMMC storage is present it becomes the (only possible) boot device. Also I believe Amlogic doesn't support booting from USB...

Not sure who else sells the adapters but the eMMC storage appears to be rather delicate... not sure how many times I would remove/install the eMMC storage.

post #175 of 205 Old 04-04-2017, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Since installing Plex Media Server on the XU4 it has been updated roughly a half dozen times. Using the URL in the first post it has updated without issue and continues to run like a champ. Again it's not suited for a lot of transcoding however for direct streaming it more than keeps up and it's difficult to tell which server I'm using Plex on the XU4 or i7-6700K (overclocked) desktop.

post #176 of 205 Old 04-11-2017, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Booted my $50 Windows PC (stick) today and noticed the LibreELEC logo on the taskbar. I forgot how easy it is to prepared your media. The app works with Windows, OS X and even my personal favorite Linux! Insert a flash drive, run the app, select the latest release... and you are done. Plug it into your C2 and off to the races.

A couple of weeks ago I added a UHD player to the mix (Sony UBP-X800) and after placing its video settings to default/neutral it matched the C2's video levels perfectly. The test patterns look identical which confirmed what I thought... the C2 was right on.

I haven't compared the C2's image to the 4K player's 2K downscale (sadly my projector is still 2K) but I'm going to get there. Rather interested in seeing what I see. Probably my wishfully thinking but viewing them on my little monitor I'd swear the UHD player looks sharper. I have read some players "over sharpen" the downscale and if so it might look overcooked on the large screen. I'm hoping I prefer or like the C2 as well... kind of fond of the little fella.

I wanted to move to UHD anyway for the better audio tracks and when I do upgrade to a 4K projector I'll have the discs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	29
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	2079545  

post #177 of 205 Old 05-26-2017, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

LibreELEC (Krypton) v8.0.2 has just been released. Lots of bug fixes, updates and addresses a security issue. As always you can upgrade via the LibreELEC settings.

post #178 of 205 Old 05-30-2017, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Want to throw in my experience, for any of those out there considering this. I have an 8 bay NAS. My needs were pretty simple, something that could play any media direct play (no need to stream to tablets or phones).

For those needs, the Odroid C2 has been awesome. The process was very simple, Charles and many in this community hand held me through the process. The price is right. If I were starting over again, I would definetly go this route.

For those looking for a cheap option for media. I would get the cheapest option to serve as a file folder and the Odroid C-2 as the Media client.

Any of those interested in seeing how my search went can look up a separate thread I have on here (don't have too many.)
post #179 of 205 Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Applied the new LibreELEC v8.0.2 update from the GUI on one of my C2's last night... went smoothly- running well after the update.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth!”
M. Tyson
post #180 of 205 Old 06-01-2017, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSero View Post
For those looking for a cheap option for media. I would get the cheapest option to serve as a file folder and the Odroid C-2 as the Media client.
For that use case I think the XU4 and C2(s) make a perfect solution. With an external hub storage is virtually limitless with the XU4 and for $100 you have a more than powerful enough media server that can also be used for other apps such as MySQL Server. The C2 at roughly $75 (per client) makes it rather silly to try and use anything else whether it's an all-in-one or more expensive dedicated player. LibreELEC just gets better and better and unless it doesn't support a feature (you need) you can't go wrong.

Quote:
Applied the new LibreELEC v8.0.2 update from the GUI on one of my C2's last night... went smoothly- running well after the update.
I especially like the built-in upgrading. And since I keep things simple if anything was to ever go wrong it takes a whopping 30 minutes or so to configure/customize the C2 from scratch.

Even if you need a more powerful server for concurrent transcoding or whatnot I still thing you can make a case for the XU4. Simply point Plex Media Server (or whatever you are using) to the data on the XU4 and you are good to go. I tend to look at the XU4 as cloud storage... it's simply there regardless of what systems I have online, reconfiguring, etc. Sure a NAS can serve the same purpose as well as a self-contained media server but somehow the XU4/Ubuntu feels like the perfect tool. Not too little... not too big... not under powered, not over powered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page