post #1 of 176 Old 09-15-2016, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 565
$75 Server or Media Client

Getting Started

I have always loved the concept (single board computer) behind the Pi however in reality each release has let me down. Its lack of a Gigabit NIC (in addition to extremely slow transfer speeds) and inability to bitstream HD audio keeps me waiting for the next generation. That is until I ran across the ODROID-C2. It checks off both features and runs much faster to boot. Software support isn't nearly as strong as the Pi however with Ubuntu and LibreELEC (Kodi project) you have everything you need for either a "low-end" server or media client.

Now we are taking well under $100 so don't expect to be able to transcode multiple streams or flood your Gigabit network. Client wise with 4K and bitsteaming it can compete with the big boys. Let's take a look at the various pieces:

$42 - ODROID-C2
$5 - Case - most Pi cases will work although you won't have access to the SD slot
$7 - Power supply - Pi power supplies work
$14 - mcroSDHC - your choice - faster is better and I prefer the Samsung Pro series (find one on close-out for cheap $13/32GB)
$7 - Shipping charges via ameriDroid.com
------
$75 Total investment

$77 - ODROID-XU4
$7 - Case
$0 - Power supply included with ODROID-XU4 (5V 4A).
$14 - microSDHC your choice - eMMC upgrade recommended
$7 - Shipping charges via ameriDroid.com
------
$105 Total investment

Assembly will take a good two minutes most of that looking for a screwdriver small enough for the enclosed screws to hold the motherboard and case together. Now that you have this beast together you'll have to decide what you want to do with it. In my case I decided to use it as a media server and once that was online I couldn't think of a reason not to use it as a client as well. I could have to a large degree combined both into one device but I decided I'd much rather keep them separate for numerous reasons and at their cost the advantages well outweighed the disadvantages.

ODROID-C2

• Amlogic ARM® Cortex®-A53(ARMv8) 1.5Ghz quad core CPUs
  • Mali™-450 GPU (3 Pixel-processors + 2 Vertex shader processors)
  • 2Gbyte DDR3 SDRAM
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • HDMI 2.0 4K/60Hz display
  • H.265 4K/60FPS and H.264 4K/30FPS capable VPU
  • 40pin GPIOs + 7pin I2S
  • eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage slot / UHS-1 SDR50 MicroSD Card slot
  • USB 2.0 Host x 4, USB OTG x 1 (power + data capable)
  • Infrared(IR) Receiver

You will need a few utilities to get started:

7-zip - Uncompress installation files
Win32 Disk Imager - Create installation flash drive | Also used for backup/restore
PuTTY - Remote access via Windows
vi - Text editor overview

Media Server

As a media server I choose Ubuntu. Sure it's not as simple to install as the the one-click customized server "packages" Which makes installation and configuration perhaps a little more difficult but you gain the complete power of Ubuntu. Not a subset of this or that feature rather the ability to use all of its resources. This also comes in rather handy when you are trying to resolve an issue. There is strength in numbers and when you are trying to figure this or that out a Google search will almost always reveal the solution.

I used the following links/steps for reference during installation and configuration:

Gotchas:

• /media/boot/boot.ini - (C2 only) set mesontimer to "0" - enables MySQL Server to install and run (needs to be redone after kernel update when boot.ini is overwritten)

Points of Interest:

• Android OS is available
  • The ODROID-C2 uses less than 2 watts at idle and tops out at 5 watts - my external drives auto sleep after x minutes
  • (C2 only) /media/boot/boot.ini - set nographics to "1" to disable HDMI graphics - remote access only (reduces power usage)
  • To backup insert the SD card into a Windows PC, run Win32 Disk Imager, select a filename to save as and click on Read
  • To restore insert the SD card into a Windows PC, run Win32 Disk Imager, select your backup (file) and click on Write
  • (C2 only) - You can manually configure the CPU speed and number of cores... to a large degree
  • Access floats around 35-40MB/s (90MB+/s for XU4/USB 3.0) for reads and writes to USB drives (USB 2.0 bottleneck)
  • Backup/sync - rsync -avr /drives/drive0/ /drives/drive1 & - & places the process in the background, a = keeps date and permissions, v = verbose and r = recursive - add the n option if you want a "dry-run" to see what changes will occur (use --delete) to delete files no longer in the source directories
  • Disk image - dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > /drive0/backup/image.gzip - you can use dd to create a img of your boot drive by replacing /dev/sda (fdisk -l) with your boot drive and changing /drive0/backup to point to your externally mounted drive. Copy the file to your PC (via samba) and use Win 32 Disk Imager (after uncompressing) to restore

Kodi has native support for NFS which is typically (much) faster than Samba. I installed NFS on my server (XU4) and used the following to export (share) the files:
  • /etc/exports - /drives/drive0 192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,insecure) - These surely aren't the best options but they are working at the moment

Once shared Kodi will find it when you Add a source. If you are using Ubuntu (client) and wish to access the directory/files via your desktop you can auto mount the NFS share during boot. I used the following:
  • /etc/fstab - 192.168.1.10:/drives/drive0 /nfs/drive0 nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.device-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min 0 0 - Again these probably aren't the best options but they are working

The directory won't be displayed by default in Nautilus (file manager) although you can Bookmark it for easy access.

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Configured one auto mount external drive and one manually mounted external drive (for backup). Installed Samba and MySQL Server for Kodi clients and just for fun the print server. The above certainly isn't a walk-thru but does cover a couple of gotchas I ran into. Without them I'd guess roughly 4 hours for a geek and 2 hours if you have heard of Linux.

Performance wise it is slower than most NAS or HTPC boxes but more than fast enough to serve several clients concurrently. For me the print server works wonderfully. Windows jobs are instantly queued whether the printer is on or off. The moment it comes online they are spooled.

When you get a configuration you are happy with insert the flash drive into your PC and use Win32 Disk Imager to back it up. You can always "go home again" if you mess things up... simply restore the image to the flash drive.

Media Client

Not sure I need to post anything here as the process couldn't be much easier. Again the ODROID-C2 supports HD audio bitstreaming and has plenty of power to handle the various video codecs.

Client Installation:

Points of Interest:

• Android OS is available
  • HD audio bitstreaming support
  • The C2 has a built-in IR sensor that I haven't used and know nothing about (perhaps I'll update this later)
  • If you are looking for a IR sensor try this - very powerful and I have used it for years with all types of hardware

Now is the ODROID-C2 perfect? Certainly not and I'm sure there maybe a better solution based on one's needs. At the same time for my usage I can't think of a better solution for either. I do wish it supported WoL and network speed was faster (USB 3.0 like the XU4 model would be great). Although at its price point and even based on my needs they aren't deal breakers.

How About a Faster Server

Want more power and USB 3.0? Take a look at the ODROID-XU4. You'll also be adding a fan and losing a lot of Kodi support such as bitstreaming HD audio. You can swap the fan for a heatsink but the CPU will step down once it heats up.

If you are all in serving this is a valid option. Ubuntu is supported and you should be able to flood a Gigabit network. What's another $30?

After using the C2 as a server for several weeks I took delivery of a XU4. Best way to describe the difference is like going from a Celeron to a i7. Real world usage is roughly two to three times faster and even on the client side it is instantly noticeable. Streaming files jump to the screen and moving around is effortless. Not quite flooding my Gigabit network (80MB/s) however I haven't done any tweaking yet...

ODROID-XU4

• Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex™-A15 2Ghz and Cortex™-A7 Octa core CPUs
  • Mali-T628 MP6(OpenGL ES 3.0/2.0/1.1 and OpenCL 1.1 Full profile)
  • 2Gbyte LPDDR3 RAM PoP stacked
  • eMMC5.0 HS400 Flash Storage
  • 2 x USB 3.0 Host, 1 x USB 2.0 Host
  • Gigabit Ethernet port
  • HDMI 1.4a for display
  • Size : 82 x 58 x 22 mm approx.(including cooling fan)

Points of Interest:

Close But No Cigar

Why wouldn't you use the C2/XUA as a server:

• Not as "idiot proof" as a dedicated NAS - arguably as stable and maintenance free once configured however you will have to invest some time in getting online
  • USB (only) storage - I believe you can rig SATA drives although in most cases you are limited to USB and as such I wouldn't get too deep into ZFS/RAID/etc
  • You intend to transcode video endlessly for multiple clients

Why wouldn't you use the C2 as a client:

• If you don't care about 4K and audio bitstreaming you might make a case for the Pi - it offers far better software support

Unsolicited Review

The C2 is working so well now I've pulled my Dune Smart HD and Popcornhour A500 from my equipment rack and am using the C2 as my primary media player now.

Important note:
For anyone looking to buy and can't decide between the C2 and Raspberry Pi... the much more powerful C2 has no problem flawlessly playing HEVC/h.265 content- the Pi's (even the latest Pi III) can's play HEVC/h.265.

Known Issues

LibreELEC:

• October's update increases the CPU speed to 1.656GHz which may crash your C2. You can edit boot.ini to use the previous 1.535GHz with a little permission work via SSH.

Can you guess which of the attachments have nothing to do with this "project"?.. just happened to be the next image on the roll.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PuTTY.png
Views:	119
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1662577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boo.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	1662609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Client.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	1662617   Click image for larger version

Name:	LibreELEC.png
Views:	1478
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	1665921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Server.png
Views:	1460
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	1668577  

Name:	InAction.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	1668585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glamour.png
Views:	1340
Size:	658.3 KB
ID:	1687065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03787a.png
Views:	1294
Size:	792.0 KB
ID:	1692329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Writes.png
Views:	1110
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	1712433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reads.png
Views:	1109
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1712441  

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-11-06 10-05-23.png
Views:	838
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1756521  
VideoGrabber, shimonmor and ajhieb like this.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 04-04-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 176 Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Pretty cool Charles. I looked into the dismantled Roku 2 and it looks very close to the Pi3 and C2. Agreed Roku added their own proprietary stuff. In a few months I am going to venture towards the C2 and this is going to be useful.
post #3 of 176 Old 09-16-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 650
^ Thanks Charles,
I'm eagerly awaiting my C-2, will be configured as a simple client.

I ordered the 8GB eMMC Module for it, anything different during setup/config/use vs. the micro-SD card?

“You cannot play God and then wash your hands of the things you created.”
Commander Bill Adama

post #4 of 176 Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
I ordered the 8GB eMMC Module for it, anything different during setup/config/use vs. the micro-SD card?
Not that I'm aware of. Generally the eMMC should be faster. I happen to have a couple of Samsung Pro SD cards (faster than the SanDisk tested) which perform on the high-end of SD cards so I'm not sure how much I would gain. Also they are more easily reusable if/when I punt the ODROID-C2s. However if I order a ODROID-XU4 I think I'll order one of the red eMMC cards for the heck of it. Here's a speed test via ameriDroid.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 09-16-2016 at 10:03 AM.
post #5 of 176 Old 09-16-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks again Charles.

I have at least 1/2 dozen spare class 10 micro-SD cards sitting around, but I figured for $16 (which includes the eMMC card and USB adapter) I'll give the eMMC module a try.

Commander Bill Adama
post #6 of 176 Old 09-16-2016, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

I originally did a rsync to copy the files on the "permanent" drive to the backup drive. I don't auto mount the second drive since it's just for backing up. It's a pretty easy task:

• drive0 - is auto mounted at boot and shared via samba for serving Kodi clients and file maintenance

When I want to backup the drive I simply...

• Power up the second/backup drive
  • mount /dev/sdb1 /drive1 - the mount device will vary based on which port it is connected to
  • rsync -vr /drive0/video/ /drive1/video/ & - & places the process in the background - add the n option if you want a "dry-run" to see what changes will occur
  • umount /dev/sdb1 - once completed!
  • Power off the backup drive

rsync has a multitude of options and most of them are rather powerful. As such it's probably best to create a backup script and execute it when needed. Especially if you are using "scary" options such as delete. That way any typos (or brain fades) won't wreck havoc on your data.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsync.png
Views:	82
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1664713  

Last edited by Charles R; 09-16-2016 at 01:24 PM.
post #7 of 176 Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind... typically the smaller memory cards are dramatically slower than the larger ones.

I also ran across this note...

The Black eMMC modules work with only ODROID-C0/C1/C1+/C2.
Other Blue/Red eMMC modules work with all ODROID boards.

Last edited by Charles R; 09-17-2016 at 08:24 AM.
post #8 of 176 Old 09-17-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ thanks!
I'll do a few write speed test comparisons with my SD cards before formatting it for the C-2.

Commander Bill Adama
post #9 of 176 Old 09-17-2016, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll do a few write speed test comparisons with my SD cards before formatting it for the C-2.
I don't think you can do a apples to apples comparison since (I believe) one of the big advantages of using eMMC is its faster interface. To do a "true" test you would have to have each type installed via their native interface. Even then it might vary by how they are implemented in each device.

post #10 of 176 Old 09-19-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ makes sense.

Different topic- does the current version of Kodi have a 30fps output option for 720/1080p?
Reason I'm asking, my LG TV displays judder at most fps settings regardless of the source with smoothing option disabled... unless the input feed is at 30fps (regardless of source encoding). So I set my Dune player to output 30fps all the time and it's all good without the TV's smoothing/soap opera setting enabled.

Thanks....

Commander Bill Adama
post #11 of 176 Old 09-19-2016, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Different topic- does the current version of Kodi have a 30fps output option for 720/1080p?
You can configure Kodi to auto adjust the refresh rate (based on content) or easily force a refresh rate under System settings. That being Kodi "finds" the refresh rate supported by the display during the HDMI handshake. Other wise you would have to try and force it via manual means... Kodi being Kodi I'm sure you could set it in one of the config files.

One thing to keep in mind is that Kodi is available on numerous platforms and is continuously being updated. As such features may or may not be supported on x platform or y release. Video is probably the most fluid aspect and you can see from the above link there are multitudes of options to configure if one digs. Luckily in most cases one can install and be good to go...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot001a.png
Views:	96
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	1669441  

post #12 of 176 Old 09-19-2016, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Charles,

I don't know how I stumbled on the fact that my display likes 30fps... but there's literally no judder with 30fps input no matter the content's native frame rate.
As long as the TV gets 30fps in- it's extremely happy.... which makes me extremely happy too

Commander Bill Adama
post #13 of 176 Old 09-20-2016, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I couldn't resist and ordered a ODROID-XU4. This time I also ordered a eMMC (32GB) card along with the power supply and case. It will be installed in my server room so the fan doesn't scare me although I believe it doesn't spin until it heats up quite a bit. Looking the eMMC cards over the 32GB appears to be a sweet spot. The smallest you can go and still get close to the best performance.

I'm more than happy with the ODROID-C2 as a server. If you are doing the initial data copy (to the server) I think the XU4 would be well worth it for the faster transfer speed. But once the data is there I don't expect to see a lot of difference. Hopefully I'll be mistaken.

Note the XU4 has two USB 3.0 ports and one USB 2.0 port (versus four 2.0 for the C2). Since I now don't need two C2s it looks like eBay will get one.

Last edited by Charles R; 09-20-2016 at 12:46 PM.
post #14 of 176 Old 09-20-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Charles,
My C-2 is being delivered tomorrow, but I could always use a spare.
PM me ....

BTW- I went into the video config on one of my Pi's (512MB model1 B+) and set it to 30fps... perfect h264 no-judder playback on my LG TV.
It's can't play HEVC however... maybe my Pi3 can, but I'll be using the C-2 for that- don't want to fry the Pi3.

Commander Bill Adama
post #15 of 176 Old 09-21-2016, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My C-2 got delivered this morning- I'll play with it tonight.

Have to configure my Harmony One for it- I saw others recommended "Microsoft Media Center Extender".

Any recommendations for a good TV series scraper?
I do have Plex server running on my NAS- can I use that for a scraper or to supply Kodi w/metadata-cover art?

Thanks!

Commander Bill Adama

Last edited by replayrob; 09-21-2016 at 07:39 AM.
post #16 of 176 Old 09-21-2016, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Have to configure my Harmony One for it- I saw others recommended "Microsoft Media Center Extender".
Harmony has native support for hardkernel - odroid-c1. I'm guessing MCE would work as well.

Quote:
Any recommendations for a good TV series scraper?
I do have Plex server running on my NAS- can I use that for a scraper or to supply Kodi w/metadata-cover art?
You can use the various Plex Add-ons. With Kodi 16 I use the Titan skin and haven't found any reason to supplement Kodi's or Titan's ability to scrape or whatnot. With 17 I find Kodi's default skin usable and might skip Titan altogether. Plex options should mirror the typical Kodi/LibreELEC installation.

post #17 of 176 Old 09-21-2016, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Charles,

Nice to see Harmony has Hardkernel in their DB.

This plex scraper looked interesting:
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/21...k-to-your-plex

I've never used XBMC/Kodi's built in scraper, or nay scraper fro that matter because the old Pi's were seriously under-powered- but I'll give it a shot before installing any 3rd party apps.

Commander Bill Adama
post #18 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got a chance to play with the C-2 last night, my early impressions:

- Nice build quality, not thrown together or poorly soldered on par with the current Pi's build quality.
- eMMC storage "chip" is not meant to be removed & reinserted like SD cards. It's connector is tiny and delicate, pop it in and out a few times and it will break. For testing- use an SD card, then switch to eMMC once you've finalized your setup.
- Way faster than any of the Raspberry Pi's I have (Model I, II & III). Kodi is very snappy on the C-2
- Played DD+ (AKA Enhanced AC-3) flawlessly.
- Played HEVC (h.265) video effortlessly at under 10% CPU utilization- all my Pi's were unusable for HEVC content.
- Scraping (using Kodi's built in scraper) is very fast and doesn't impact playback or navigation.

Commander Bill Adama

Last edited by replayrob; 09-22-2016 at 07:15 AM.
post #19 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only issue I have to resolve (and I know it's caused by my LG TV that needs 30fps refresh to stop judder) is to get Kodi on the C-2 to be able to output 30fps @ 1080p.
Currently at 1080P the only refresh options Kodi offers (even in Expert mode) are 24fps & 60fps.
All of my Pi's running Kodi when attached to the same TV give me many more refresh options including 30fps?

Ideas anyone?

Commander Bill Adama
post #20 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
eMMC storage "chip" is not meant to be removed & reinserted like SD cards. It's connector is tiny and delicate, pop it in and out a few times and it will break.
Looks like eMMc chips are typically soldered onto the board and they more or less "modified" it accordingly. Not sure there is any standardization of parts to accomplish such.

Quote:
Currently at 1080P the only refresh options Kodi offers (even in Expert mode) are 24fps & 60fps.
You can try forcing it via Kodi's advancedsettings.xml. I had to do such before with good results.

post #21 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ thanks Charles!

I took a look at the advancedsettings.xml- It looks like I can set a fps override so if content fps=23.976 the output will go to 30fps.

Is this what my advancedsettings.xml file would look like?:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<adjustrefreshrate>
<override>
<fps>23.976</fps>
<refresh>30.0</refresh>
</override>
</adjustrefreshrate>
</video>
</advancedsettings>

Is there a more direct way to force 30fps or even add the 30fps option to the menu?

Thanks!

Commander Bill Adama
post #22 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is there a more direct way to force 30fps or even add the 30fps option to the menu?
Not that I'm aware of. Be sure to power up the C2 last... after the display and receiver. I guess you have two paths to follow...

- Update the OS to reflect support for 30fps so Kodi finds it
- advancedsettings.xml

Looking around I found...

cat /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap - should display what's available

I'm not sure advancedsettings.xml will work without it being "supported" in the first place via EDID as detailed here. I'd probably take it to the ODRDOID-C2/LibreELEC forum.

The attachment reflects the monitor I have connected not my projector...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Resolutions.png
Views:	70
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	1676433  

post #23 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting, thanks!

Don't even see any 30fps available in the boot.ini except for 4k resolution.

Just formatted a USB drive with C-2 LE/Kodi, here's the video portion of the boot.ini:
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Video
# Setup the video output
# 480 Lines (720x480)
# setenv video_output "480i60hz" # Interlaced 60Hz
# setenv video_output "480i_rpt" # Interlaced for Rear Projection Televisions 60Hz
# setenv video_output "480p60hz" # 480 Progressive 60Hz
# setenv video_output "480p_rpt" # 480 Progressive for Rear Projection Televisions 60Hz
# 576 Lines (720x576)
# setenv video_output "576i50hz" # Interlaced 50Hz
# setenv video_output "576i_rpt" # Interlaced for Rear Projection Televisions 50Hz
# setenv video_output "576p50hz" # Progressive 50Hz
# setenv video_output "576p_rpt" # Progressive for Rear Projection Televisions 50Hz
# 720 Lines (1280x720)
# setenv video_output "720p50hz" # Progressive 50Hz
# setenv video_output "720p60hz" # Progressive 60Hz
# 1080 Lines (1920x1080)
# setenv video_output "1080i60hz" # Interlaced 60Hz
# setenv video_output "1080p60hz" # Progressive 60Hz
# setenv video_output "1080i50hz" # Interlaced 50Hz
# setenv video_output "1080p50hz" # Progressive 50Hz
# setenv video_output "1080p24hz" # Progressive 24Hz
# 4K (3840x2160)
# setenv video_output "2160p30hz" # Progressive 30Hz
# setenv video_output "2160p25hz" # Progressive 25Hz
# setenv video_output "2160p24hz" # Progressive 24Hz
# setenv video_output "smpte24hz" # Progressive 24Hz SMPTE
# setenv video_output "2160p50hz" # Progressive 50Hz
# setenv video_output "2160p60hz" # Progressive 60Hz
# setenv video_output "2160p50hz420" # Progressive 50Hz with YCbCr 4:2:0 (Requires TV/Monitor that supports it)
# setenv video_output "2160p60hz420" # Progressive 60Hz with YCbCr 4:2:0 (Requires TV/Monitor that supports it)
# VESA modes
# setenv video_output "640x480p60hz"
# setenv video_output "800x480p60hz"
# setenv video_output "800x600p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1024x600p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1024x768p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1280x800p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1280x1024p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1360x768p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1366x768p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1440x900p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1600x900p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1680x1050p60hz"
# setenv video_output "1920x1200p60hz"
#
# Setup the HDMI video mode (Must be one or the other)
# setenv video_mode "dvi" # DVI
# setenv video_mode "vga" # VGA
#
# Setup the HDMI BPP Mode
# setenv video_bpp "32" # 32-bit
# setenv video_bpp "24" # 24-bit
# setenv video_bpp "16" # 16-bit
#
# Enable|Disable HDMI Hotplug Detection
# setenv hdmihotplug "0" # Disabled
# setenv hdmihotplug "1" # Enabled
#
# Enable|Disable HDMI (Saves RAM)
# setenv hdmioutput "0" # Disabled
# setenv hdmioutput "1" # Enabled
#
# Enable|Disable VPU (Saves RAM)
# setenv vpu "0" # Disabled
# setenv vpu "1" # Enabled
#
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
setenv video_output "1080p60hz"
setenv video_mode "hdmi"
setenv video_bpp "32"
setenv hdmihotplug "1"
setenv hdmioutput "1"
setenv vpu "1"

************************************************** *************************************

For the Pi's I see this in the start.elf file:
1080p60 1080p50 1080p24 1080p25 1080p30
And all are functional on the same LG TV.

Commander Bill Adama
post #24 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Deleted-

Commander Bill Adama

Last edited by replayrob; 09-22-2016 at 11:42 AM.
post #25 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For the Pi's I see this in the start.elf file:
1080p60 1080p50 1080p24 1080p25 1080p30
And all are functional on the same LG TV.
Obviously different EDID handshaking. I'm not aware of what part (if any) the OS plays in this along with the LibreELEC/Kodi version. Or whether it's simply the hardward/HDMI chips themselves. My only experience was forcing smooth 24Hz playback via 23.976 via - /storage/.config/xorg.conf

Last edited by Charles R; 09-22-2016 at 11:53 AM.
post #26 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ well, if nothing else I have some experimenting to do....

Commander Bill Adama
post #27 of 176 Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, advancedsettings.xml didn't seem to do anything, and here's the EDID report from the C-2 connected to my LG TV:

Commander Bill Adama

Last edited by replayrob; 09-22-2016 at 05:44 PM.
post #28 of 176 Old 09-23-2016, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
I'd probably take it to the ODRDOID-C2/LibreELEC forum.
Thanks Charles,

I made a post there- let's hope it can be done- the C-2 is a huge step-up from the Pi's.

Commander Bill Adama
post #29 of 176 Old 09-23-2016, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

C2 related I found this thread rather interesting... apparently the clock speed is up to 2GHz however it doesn't support and or has a hard time with anything above 1.5GHz. With Ubuntu you can manually change the clock speed and cores. Not sure if it's configurable via LibreELEC. I have increased the speed a bit and so far so good... here is the wiki page explaining the various settings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CPU.png
Views:	67
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1678617  

Last edited by Charles R; 09-23-2016 at 01:27 PM.
post #30 of 176 Old 09-23-2016, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I made a post there- let's hope it can be done- the C-2 is a huge step-up from the Pi's.
I think you might be out of luck on two counts. Doesn't look like the kernel supports such and LibreELEC is using EDID. See the /flash/boot.ini file. Now perhaps LibreELEC "throws away" any resolution the kernel doesn't support during the handshake - so it might magically appear if kernel support was added... assuming the hardware supports it. Certainly above my pay grade... and might worth a post in the C2 hardware/kernel forum as well.

# boot.ini identification, Essential. Do not change first line shown above.

# **Important Note**
# Selecting various resolutions has no effect with LibreELEC / Kodi as it uses EDID
# handshaking negotiation with a connected display to show available resolutions after Kodi startup.

# Possible bootscreen screen resolutions - supported by the Kernel drivers, listed for reference purposes.
# 1080 Lines (1920x1080)
# setenv m "1080i60hz" # Interlaced 60Hz
setenv m "1080p60hz" # Progressive 60Hz
# setenv m "1080i50hz" # Interlaced 50Hz
# setenv m "1080p50hz" # Progressive 50Hz
# setenv m "1080p24hz" # Progressive 24Hz

UPDATE: It appears # "1080p30hz" | 1920x1080 Progressive 30Hz is supported. See this URL.

Last edited by Charles R; 09-23-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat