Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-29-2003, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
This is the press release:

Lindows.com, Inc. (www.lindows.com) today announced the immediate availability of Lindows DVD player, a DVD playback solution (www.lindows.com/dvd) with a fully-licensed decoder that allows commercial DVDs to be played easily and flawlessly on LindowsOS computers. Under LindowsOS 4.0, (www.lindows.com/40), DVDs are automatically detected and launched by the Lindows DVD player, enhancing the overall movie playback experience. Lindows.com DVD player plays CDs, DVDs, and VCDs as well as multimedia files like AVI, MOV, WMV, and MP3 from local disk drives, and video streamed over the Internet. Many of the common and uncommon multimedia formats (www.lindows.com/filetypes) are supported.

"We work hard to advance the state of Linux by making industry-firsts happen -- such as Lindows DVD player," said Michael Robertson, chief executive officer of Lindows.com, Inc. "Lindows DVD player auto-detects DVDs, while enhancing web video with inline video playback. These advances make LindowsOS 4.0 and products like Lindows DVD player an easy choice for consumers with any budget."

The Lindows DVD player can be purchased and instantly installed using Click-N-Run technology from the Click-N-Run Warehouse (www.lindows.com/dvdplayer). Warehouse members can buy the DVD player digitally for just $ 4.95, while the cost for non-members is $ 39.95. Annual Click-N-Run Warehouse memberships are $ 49.95, offering access to more than 1,500 software programs and steep discounts on commercial Click-N-Buy software, as evidenced by the affordable pricing of the DVD player.

Lindows DVD player costs a fraction of other popular Windows DVD players, which normally retail for more than $ 50. The Lindows DVD player can also be purchased from Builders such as IdotPC (www.lindows.com/idotdvd) and TigerDirect (www.lindows.com/tigerdirect).

With the launch of Lindows DVD, authorized Lindows.com Builders will also be given the option to bundle Lindows DVD with their computer systems that come configured with a DVD drive. Lindows DVD is the latest Premium Bundle option made available to Builders who pre-install computer systems with LindowsOS 4.0. For more information on the Builder program, please visit www.lindows.com/builder.

To stay apprised of all of Lindows.com activities, including low-cost computer announcements, visit www.lindows.com/mailing.

About Lindows.com, Inc.

Lindows.com is a consumer company that brings choice to computer users. Lindows.com, Inc. was started by Michael Robertson, founder and former CEO of MP3.com. LindowsOS is a modern, affordable, easy-to-use operating system that allows users access to hundreds of applications via the Click-N-Run Warehouse. Visit www.lindows.com/order to purchase the most recent version of LindowsOS. All applications in the Click-N-Run Warehouse (www.lindows.com/warehouse) are licensed on a per-person or family basis and can be downloaded, installed and run with just one-mouse click. LindowsOS is also available on LindowsOS Certified Computers being offered from Lindows.com Builder partners (www.lindows.com/builders). A list of retailers selling computers bundled with LindowsOS can be found at www.lindows.com/featured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2003, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

sensationell!

These are really good news. Ok, I don't really need it but in Germany it's forbidden by law to use tools against copy protection. So all players which use DVD decryption hach are iillegal.

I really think to buy this player. Not because I need it but to support Linux

Thank you for listening
Frank
post #3 of 8 Old 07-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Hello,

hmmmmm, when I understand this right is the software only availible for Lindows. This would be a deal killer. From Gentoo to Lindows - NO ;)

Thank you for listening
Frank
post #4 of 8 Old 07-30-2003, 12:52 PM

Of course, it is only for Lindows! Lindows paid a good chunk of money for the CSS key. Gentoo users and the rest of Linux geeks just use libdvdcss to achieve the same thing. It is a matter of perspective. A U.S. entity is not permitted by law to distribute libdvdcss, but they still want to provide a legal solution for DVD playback for customers that want a simple, integrated solution.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-30-2003, 07:32 PM

I have two points to make

1. This is just xine with a CSS key. Nothing special here, move along

2. xine uses the GPL license, which means that any derived work must also have its source released under the GPL. I just did a quick check of the lindows website, and I couldn't find any links to download it.

I suspect that the FSF would like to hear about this.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-31-2003, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Hello,

my point ist not the usage side of the piece of software. Ireally like Linux but ant the moment there is NO legal way to watch DVD's with Linux in Germany. So every attempt to chenge this is welcome ;)

Of cource I won't change to Lindows.

Thank you for listening
Frank
post #7 of 8 Old 08-08-2003, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by frbie
Ireally like Linux but ant the moment there is NO legal way to watch DVD's with Linux in Germany.
Does this include VideoLAN too? If so, is it because of libdvdcss use?

Peace...
post #8 of 8 Old 08-08-2003, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Hello,

yes it's because of the licdvdcss.

Thank you for listening
Frank
Closed Thread HTPC - Linux Chat