CLI-based ripping software suggestions? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2017, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 247
CLI-based ripping software suggestions?

I've been using MakeMKV on Linux in a headless system where I'm able to rip content from BluRay, DVD, and audio CD's without having to touch anything - just insert the disc and it does what it needs to do.

There are a number of different video discs (mostly TV Series on DVD) that are giving me fits, though. Discs won't read, episodes aren't "seen" as being on the disc at all, episodes won't rip, etc. I'm wondering if there are any other software products out there, free or commercial, that offer a linux CLI version that are more reliable than MakeMKV.

BTW... I think the issue is MakeMKV and not MakeMKV on Linux because the same product on my Mac using the GUI will yield pretty much identical results. Occasionally I will be able to rip an episode / disc on one that I can't on the other, but I chalk that up more to the drive being able to properly read the disc in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I've been using MakeMKV on Linux in a headless system where I'm able to rip content from BluRay, DVD, and audio CD's without having to touch anything - just insert the disc and it does what it needs to do.

There are a number of different video discs (mostly TV Series on DVD) that are giving me fits, though. Discs won't read, episodes aren't "seen" as being on the disc at all, episodes won't rip, etc. I'm wondering if there are any other software products out there, free or commercial, that offer a linux CLI version that are more reliable than MakeMKV.

BTW... I think the issue is MakeMKV and not MakeMKV on Linux because the same product on my Mac using the GUI will yield pretty much identical results. Occasionally I will be able to rip an episode / disc on one that I can't on the other, but I chalk that up more to the drive being able to properly read the disc in the first place.
It's pretty trivial to rip to .iso form the cli but if you are looking for something that will pull out individual episodes it gets a bit more tricky (as far as I can tell). Do a google search for "cli rip dvd episodes" and you'll find several options but most of them use handbrake-cli which also encodes which you probably don't want.

One suggestion... take a look at the makemkv setting to see what your minimum title length is set for. If it's too low it may ignore episodes...
post #3 of 4 Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
It's pretty trivial to rip to .iso form the cli but if you are looking for something that will pull out individual episodes it gets a bit more tricky (as far as I can tell). Do a google search for "cli rip dvd episodes" and you'll find several options but most of them use handbrake-cli which also encodes which you probably don't want.

One suggestion... take a look at the makemkv setting to see what your minimum title length is set for. If it's too low it may ignore episodes...
It's actually not trivial at all since you need to be able to decrypt the content while ripping lest you intend to do that "later". And, even then, just doing a straight rip to ISO format doesn't guarantee that it will work with software that decrypts later. I had HUNDREDS of discs that I had previously ripped to ISO and didn't have an issue with a single one of them. I used different software for that, and don't want to go back because it's all GUI. When moving to my new platform, the ISO files were useless and I needed just the individual movies / episode files. Enter MakeMKV (and its little son makemkvcli). I successfully ripped well over 2000 discs (DVD and BluRay) without issue - all movies. The TV Series are nothing but trouble.

The issue you're alluding to isn't the problem. When ripping DVD's that are part of TV Show Seasons, it just plain struggles to be able to recognize the presence of the content and sometimes to read the disc. There's a difference between "I saw some content but it wasn't long enough" (not the case) and "I don't see any content".

post #4 of 4 Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post

It's actually not trivial at all since you need to be able to decrypt the content while ripping lest you intend to do that "later". And, even then, just doing a straight rip to ISO format doesn't guarantee that it will work with software that decrypts later. I had HUNDREDS of discs that I had previously ripped to ISO and didn't have an issue with a single one of them. I used different software for that, and don't want to go back because it's all GUI. When moving to my new platform, the ISO files were useless and I needed just the individual movies / episode files. Enter MakeMKV (and its little son makemkvcli). I successfully ripped well over 2000 discs (DVD and BluRay) without issue - all movies. The TV Series are nothing but trouble.

The issue you're alluding to isn't the problem. When ripping DVD's that are part of TV Show Seasons, it just plain struggles to be able to recognize the presence of the content and sometimes to read the disc. There's a difference between "I saw some content but it wasn't long enough" (not the case) and "I don't see any content".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page