gcc segmentation faults on Ryzen / Linux - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-23-2017, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 649
gcc segmentation faults on Ryzen / Linux

Can't remember how I ran across the issue however it may become rather important for some. Ryzen chips have a hardware issue where they will crash based on their usage. You can read the gory details here among other places.

Bottom line (it appears) chips produced before week 25 (reference the batch number) have the issue and AMD will replace the chip via their RMA process. Which leaves a lot to be desired. I'm in the process of swapping two 1700s. They have been returned (prepaid shipping) and I'm waiting for the replacements...

So far the bug has only reared its head in Linux although some perceive it may be visible in Windows as well given the proper conditions. It is a rather minor bug and I don't think most would run across it. However I decided it was worth the effort just to be safe and perhaps the newer chips have been "improved" in other areas.

| 120" Screen | 1080p Projector | 7.2.4 Boston Acoustics & Power Sound Audio | Yamaha RX-A3060 & AudioSource AMP110 | Sony UBP-X800 | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 Server via Kodi/Plex Media Server : LG 65EG9600 OLED TV | TiVo | Roku Premiere+ | Blu-ray Movies for Sale | Digital HD Codes for Sale |

Last edited by Charles R; 09-23-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-27-2017, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 649
FedEx delivered my 2 1700 replacements today in retail packaging with their CPU coolers. They are batch (1733...) which is reported to be fine. Outside of not keeping you up to date rather painless. It took me several days to find out they shipped... actually until today right before they were dropped off.

Side item I decided to use Arctic Silver 5 with my Thermaltake water cooler and it appears to drop the temperature a good 4 C or more (at idle) than the stock CPU paste.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page