modelines for 1080p panels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-10-2007, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to help a friend setup a Linux HTPC for his new LCD. It's a 52" Sharp AQUOS. I'm trying to settle on a modeline for this display device, and I've run in to some confusing info in the manual:

http://www.sharpusa.com/files/tel_man_LC46_52D62U.pdf

I assumed that since it's a 1920x1080 panel, I'd be able to run that resolution with a 60Hz refresh rate. I was really only looking for the appropriate vertical refresh rate....

However, the manual has a section on PC inputs with modelines, but it only goes as high as 1360x768! (HSync=47.7HHz & VSync=60Hz for anyone interested). My question is, should I use this modeline? Is there any reason I can't run it at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz vertical refresh rate? What would be my horizontal sync value?

I'll mention we're using an nvidia card with DVI out, and a DVI to HDMI conversion cable.....

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does the LCD have a vga port in? The PC section of the manual probably refers to inputs through the VGA port (that's how it is for my plasma). I would think if the monitor supports 1920x1080 a proper modeline should work if you are using DVI/HDMI. Now how to setup that modeline I can't help you with. I am still struggling to do get it right for mine and for now I am using the vga port, which looks almost as good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-10-2007, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

nope, that with DVI per the manual (it's page 15 of the PDF). No VGA input on the monitor that I can tell from the manual (it's not here yet, I'm trying to figure this all out before UPS leaves it on his doorstep)

I might have to ask this question of sharp directly.......
post #4 of 10 Old 01-10-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm no expert in this, but that seems odd to me. Why would the HDMI port limit PC digital inputs and not other devices? All it should care about is that it is receiving a proper signal from the PC like it might from any other device. I'd be interested to hear what Sharp says.

I just looked at CNET's review of the 46" version. And it says it can do full 1920x1080 despite what the manual says...

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sharp_LC_46D...0.html?tag=txt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-10-2007, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

yea, sharp advertizes it as a true 1080p panel, so I don't see what the problem would be either. I've submitted the question to their tech support department, we'll see what they say....
post #6 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

well, sharp did respond to my question and confirmed it can run at 1920x1080@60Hz, but I have yet to get a horizontal sync. rate out of them. I'll keep you all posted.....
post #7 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robselina View Post

well, sharp did respond to my question and confirmed it can run at 1920x1080@60Hz, but I have yet to get a horizontal sync. rate out of them. I'll keep you all posted.....

The horizontal sync rate shouldn't matter much, as long as the pixel rate is within the limits of your video card, your monitor, and the DVI and HDMI standards. You may need to try "reduced blanking" timings to get 1080p to work well. You should also experiment with 59.94 vs 60 to see which gives smoother video playback.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 09:56 PM

I've done a bit more digging, and after a long personal search (which has lasted months) I have finally found official word on proper timing for analog HD signals: SMPTE 247m.

Page 2 of the s247m.pdf file I found using Google (mentioned as a reference in an ATSC standard paper governing the coding of 25 and 50 frame/sec video) lists all conceivable 1920x1080 rates used by ATSC. For your application, systems 1 and 2 (60p and 59.94p) are particularly applicable, though analog 24p and 23.976p would also be interesting (and potentially hazardous to one's eyesight).

Further into the document, on page 13, all important sample points during horizontal and vertical retrace are labeled. The information on page 2 together with the information on page 13 would allow the creation of an ideal mode line, if the video card's pixel clock can be set to the needed frequency.

Creation of such a mode is left as an exercise for the reader.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by robselina
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to help a friend setup a Linux HTPC for his new LCD. It's a 52" Sharp AQUOS. I'm trying to settle on a modeline for this display device, and I've run in to some confusing info in the manual:

http://www.sharpusa.com/files/tel_man_LC46_52D62U.pdf

I assumed that since it's a 1920x1080 panel, I'd be able to run that resolution with a 60Hz refresh rate. I was really only looking for the appropriate vertical refresh rate....

However, the manual has a section on PC inputs with modelines, but it only goes as high as 1360x768! (HSync=47.7HHz & VSync=60Hz for anyone interested). My question is, should I use this modeline? Is there any reason I can't run it at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz vertical refresh rate? What would be my horizontal sync value?

I'll mention we're using an nvidia card with DVI out, and a DVI to HDMI conversion cable.....

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Here's a xorg.conf I use for my 1080P display.

xorg.zip 1.5849609375k . file

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.

post #10 of 10 Old 01-12-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mntmst, I'll try yours out.

nitro- I've been curious about the 59.94 vs 60Hz sync rate too, but after finding out that 60 Hz was supported, figured I'd just settle on it but I agree it's worth playing with. I'll pull up the pdf this evening for a little 'light reading'
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page