1080p AVC - What to buy? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
yep I'm ready to jump the nvidia ship as soon as Intel gets their drivers ready to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 04-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibael View Post

Have you considered an Intel G965 motherboard? Keith Packard (of Intel) is heavily involved in both open-source driver development on Intel graphics and general Xorg development.

While I'm not under the same constraints as the original poster (I only need to play DVDs and get 1080i decoding for HDTV to be smooth under MythTV), I would be curious if anyone on this thread has recommendations for a particular G965 motherboard, or better yet an entire system that uses this chipset. Intel has a whole bunch of models on their site - are they all supported equally well?

I searched this forum for G965 but only came up with this thread.

Dara
post #33 of 42 Old 04-22-2007, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd go with a newer model like the DG965OT (uATX) or DG965WH (regular ATX), but the older -RY and -SS are all right, too. Support is about equal for all of them. Biggest gap for Linux used to be the onboard Jmicron IDE controller, but it's my understanding that support for it is built into the latest kernels.

The video drivers are a work in progress, but they improve weekly and have run Beryl very nicely for months. The developers plan on adding SDVO card and HDMI audio support "soon", but I'm not sure what that means timeframewise.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #34 of 42 Old 04-23-2007, 12:49 AM
T2k

Liked: 11
Wow, some people still recommend that batshit Pentium D-series... well, if it's a kitchen HTPC I can see the point: it would provide you oven heating at the same time...
post #35 of 42 Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Um... I have never recommended the Pentium-D. I don't have one and will not. This is Core2 Duo all the way.

I do not speak officially in any sense for
Intel Corp., Technology Manufacturing Group
but I do work there.
post #36 of 42 Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 PM

Anyone try using the coreavc h264 decoder which plugs into the mplayer directshow filters. Latest mplayer SVN has the patches for it.

The seems to be a fully supported linux version in the works from the corecodec team. Here's what they've said previously (3/8/07):
"but CoreAVC for Linux is a part of our Linux 'suite' of decoders that we will soon be offering. This will eventually include MP3, AAC, AC-3, ASP, AVC, MPEG-2, VC-1, WMA, WMV and more"

The coreavc decoder would allow you to decode h264 with a less horsepower.
post #37 of 42 Old 04-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

hehe I've got a batshit pentium D and I"m getting ready to retire it as just the main backend and get a core2duo for the frontends so I can decompress 1080p x264 easier
post #38 of 42 Old 05-04-2007, 02:13 PM

tried a couple 1080p .mov trailers from apple (Fantastic4:Silver Surfer and Shrek3) along with the file linked in this thread and I can verify that they do not play without skipping frames on my 3800+/Nvidia 6150 system in Movie Player OR mplayer with -vo set to gl2 and xv. I have not tried xvmc yet, as I have not set it up.

On the other hand, 720p plays beautifully. Which is fine, since my DLP is only 1280x720 anyway.

In order to sort of future-proof my system (in case I got a new TV or a 1080p disc player), would a better Nvidia card help? Would utilizing xvmc help?
post #39 of 42 Old 05-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

any card in linux better than a 5xxx version of nvidia is pointless until nvidia decides to start using the features of the newer cards (unless you dual boot into windows)
post #40 of 42 Old 05-04-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post

any card in linux better than a 5xxx version of nvidia is pointless until nvidia decides to start using the features of the newer cards (unless you dual boot into windows)

From the discussion on the Windows board, it sounds like even with the purevideo drivers, you pretty much need a state of the art processor (a good C2D) and video card (Nvidia 8XXX) to make it happen.

Considering those two things, it is rather impressive that my computer only dropped a couple frames on the 1080p material without any sort of offloading! The "Greatest Game" .mpg trailer played almost perfectly! The FF4 .mov trailer, well, not so much . . .
post #41 of 42 Old 05-05-2007, 10:37 AM

I've got an OLD pc (2002) that I only use for web browsing and things of that nature on my KDL46xbr3. It's a p4 2.0, with 768 ram and a 128 video card. I went ahead and upgraded the video card to a 256 ATI (newegg for around 70 bucks) mainly because I just wanted something with DVI out. I tried running 720p h264 on it and it worked like a dream! I then downloaded some 1080p trailers which are dropping quite a few frames. My motherboard has limits to what I can upgrade to it, so I went ahead an ordered a new p4 which is a 2.8 and I also orderd more ram (Will now be a total of 1gig ram). According to some sources, I should just BARELY make it for 1080p playback. I'll let you guys know after I get everything going.
post #42 of 42 Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

I'm updating my server/backend/main frontend this week from a Asus p5wd2-e premium, 2 GB of ram, and a batshit pentium d 840 to an Asus P5W DH Deluxe with 2 GB of ram and an E4300 core 2 duo. I'll try playing 1080p hddvd/bluray content and h.264 content before and after overclocking to see how it does. Baseline on the E4300 is 1.8ghz, but is easily overclockable to 3ghz. If I can overclock with minimal vcore additions to voltage, I may try running it stable at 3.5ghz or so (I water cool). I plan on replacing this processor with a quad core in October when the price drops to under $300 and I'll move the E4300 to my personal computer. My biggest caveat with overclocking the e4300 is power usage. I will be ecstatic if I can overclock it and undervolt it at the same time like some have been able to do.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page