LinuxMCE? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 03-20-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone seen this? There was a digg story and their server fell over in the onslaught. It's still not back. If you haven't heard of this, check out the video http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...77313460&hl=en
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-20-2007, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post

Has anyone seen this? There was a digg story and their server fell over in the onslaught. It's still not back. If you haven't heard of this, check out the video http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...77313460&hl=en

I'd never even heard of this. hope their site comes back up soon...
post #3 of 29 Old 03-20-2007, 01:03 PM
T2k

Liked: 11
post #4 of 29 Old 03-20-2007, 01:55 PM

Wow, the demo looks great. Hope their site comes up soon.
post #5 of 29 Old 03-20-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah I hope the site comes up to. I'd definitely have to know a lot more before taking the plunge, but I'm interested. Makes me want to buy some hardware just to try it on... (I do not like to mess with my mythboxes for anything this big...)
post #6 of 29 Old 03-20-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Anything with a .com addy makes me think there's some money involved there somewhere - sounds to good to be true. The gyro remote is pretty cool - I assume very similar to Wii controller.
post #7 of 29 Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I've been messing with pluto off and on since it came out. It's pretty complicated to set up but it definately has some nice features. I'd still call it in Beta though because there are a lot of bugs in it.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-22-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've learned a bit more about it. It appears that it is a MythTV+Pluto distro that purports to make it bone-head easy to install. knoppmyth aint there yet - I get mysql errors during setup. If linuxmce gets mythtv install without those errors then it has my vote.

By the way, was anyone else totally annoyed by the smug fanboy attitude of the guy in the video?
post #9 of 29 Old 03-23-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:

By the way, was anyone else totally annoyed by the smug fanboy attitude of the guy in the video?

yes, his monotone US voice is very annoying, and the way he slags off Windows MCE is "stupid" (as he says), he clearly shows he knows nothing about Windows MCE saying it can't do stuff when it can
and there's no way that software can turn on my TV and set it to the correct channel (even the manufacturer can't do it with their own remote!)

where's the hi-def videos?
where's blu-ray and HD-DVD?

he doesn't even have a decent TV!
post #10 of 29 Old 03-24-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

No, seriously I gotta find out about this....That damn video got me all excited but the dude was such a plant that I can't take it seriously....Makes me laugh about how it knew to turn his tv on and change the inputs with no configuration. PLEASE anyone who tried it fill us in! I really want this to be a good frontend to Myth but I just can't take it seriously right now.

-Trouble
post #11 of 29 Old 03-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I've used it. It's cool. I am eventually going to use it for a whole house solution. The features are as described but they do take some setup time. You better be willing to invest a few weekends of setup in this. Also I'd go with z-wave tech if you use it for automation.

You can use an external myth server which is what I'd be apt to do so I wouldn't be dependent on the pluto/linuxmce distribution
post #12 of 29 Old 03-25-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Over on the ubuntu forums I think the developer chimed in towards the end of this thread...

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=389230

He talks about a little more about how it works and what his goals are. Assuming this is the developer... A lot of people over on those forums were incredulous as well.
post #13 of 29 Old 03-25-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok the torrent is DLing at a nice clip We'll see this evening. For the record, I have no question that what they're doing is certainly possible, just that having it work with NO configuration for something like shooting IR commands to your components is BS that's all hehe. I really dislike the Mythfrontend. I REALLY dislike that a mythfrontend can crash the backend. THAT is my #1 gripe about Myth. There is no way that any sort of frontend should be able to crash its server. Though I'm guessing that is likely is as much of a backend issue as a frontend issue.

-Torrent is DONE- Wow, over a meg a second DLing towards the end. Leaving it up to seed for the night as long as I can- Go for it!
post #14 of 29 Old 03-25-2007, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Update- Yikes, this thing is a ton of packages. Gonna take some time to figure out what I need!

edit: uhhh yeah gonna need some instructions here...788 packages. No installers or anything other than debs and a package list.

Ok Found the installer....And it doesn't seem to do anything. Oh well.
post #15 of 29 Old 03-25-2007, 10:44 PM
T2k

Quote:

I've learned a bit more about it. It appears that it is a MythTV+Pluto distro that purports to make it bone-head easy to install. knoppmyth aint there yet - I get mysql errors during setup. If linuxmce gets mythtv install without those errors then it has my vote.

He is a classic pathetic fat@ss loser, obviously doesn't know **** about what he's talking about - half of his speech was complete BS, let alone his horrible, almost untolerable voice & lame style.
post #16 of 29 Old 03-25-2007, 10:51 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post

I've used it. It's cool. I am eventually going to use it for a whole house solution. The features are as described but they do take some setup time. You better be willing to invest a few weekends of setup in this. Also I'd go with z-wave tech if you use it for automation.

You can use an external myth server which is what I'd be apt to do so I wouldn't be dependent on the pluto/linuxmce distribution

DUnno it looks much better than Myth for me... is there a chance it will work fine on a PS3? that'd make the story interesting - cheapest yet coolest MCE ever...
post #17 of 29 Old 03-26-2007, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post

Update- Yikes, this thing is a ton of packages. Gonna take some time to figure out what I need!

edit: uhhh yeah gonna need some instructions here...788 packages. No installers or anything other than debs and a package list.

Try downloading the pluto distro instead. Same thing, just integrated into debian.
post #18 of 29 Old 03-26-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post

The installer should ask if you want to install from the internet or "offline" with the LinuxMCE cd in your drive. You must not have the right installer.

Well I tried to install on a clean Ubuntu 6.10 desktop installation and it really seems to mess things up. I'm pretty green in linux but it seems that the installer has got some strange bugs. When asked if I want to run a DHCP server, I say "NO", then it installs and starts a DHCP server. I set the network configuration to retrieve the IP dynamically, and it sets the network card to a static IP, then continues setup. Despite the fact that I select the offline installation method, it still appears to go online several times, but of course since the installer has changed my network configuration to something that does not work with my network, this fails.

The installer also appears to automatically install another driver for my nvidia card and changes my xorg.conf to use the VESA driver instead of the nvidia one.

My installation finally fails on the orbiter package & dependencies. A full CD and its still missing packages?
post #19 of 29 Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

He is a classic pathetic fat@ss loser, obviously doesn't know **** about what he's talking about - half of his speech was complete BS, let alone his horrible, almost untolerable voice & lame style.

don't hold back. what do you REALLY think??

clearly the guy is utterly biased but even with the annoying voice, it's a pretty good demo. I too was surprised that the install disk was just a bunch of deb files. One of these days I'm actually going to get mythTV actually working.
post #20 of 29 Old 03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The DL went pretty fast but like others the install got stuck at the orbiter package. The MythTV and LiunxMCE App was added to the app list - I'll play with it some more tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how Ubuntu and this app reacts to my proposed new hardware - an AMD 690G based MB (HDMI output) with a Kworld tuner.
post #21 of 29 Old 03-27-2007, 03:43 AM

i saw this on Digg as well... there was a followup yesterday... cant wait to run it myself!
post #22 of 29 Old 03-27-2007, 03:43 AM

post #23 of 29 Old 03-27-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

This messed up my Edgy Ubuntu install - it won't let me upgrade to 7.04 Ubuntu because of some pluto/linuxmce issue. The Myth front end got installed but LinuxMCE itself go stuck while trying to start - it has a lot of dependencies.
post #24 of 29 Old 03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Before I wiped my system clean and installed Feisty, I tried LinuxMCE one more time and this time it got all the way thru the setup (very long) - unfortunately the display was all messed up - I couldn't even see the menus. Oh well, I need to get the tuner and a few other hardware issues ironed before trying it again.
post #25 of 29 Old 03-29-2007, 06:08 PM
T2k

The really stupid thing is that you have to have a Core system separated, you can't use it to be the headend as well... stupid, stupid, stupid LMCE.
post #26 of 29 Old 03-31-2007, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yeah, it's really sad that the fanboy screwed up. The thing is a decent distro that gets you pretty close to what was demoed isn't at all impossible. it just takes some packaging and install competence.
post #27 of 29 Old 03-31-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

The really stupid thing is that you have to have a Core system separated, you can't use it to be the headend as well... stupid, stupid, stupid LMCE.

According to the documentation you can put the core and the media director on the same machine, they call it a hybrid (I can't post urls but at their wiki, under getting started it talks about a dedicated hybrid):
index.php/Getting_Started#A_Dedicated_Hybrid

Now I haven't tried to install it, but the documentation says you can use just one machine.
post #28 of 29 Old 03-31-2007, 09:40 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd7 View Post

According to the documentation you can put the core and the media director on the same machine, they call it a hybrid (I can't post urls but at their wiki, under getting started it talks about a dedicated hybrid):
index.php/Getting_Started#A_Dedicated_Hybrid

Now I haven't tried to install it, but the documentation says you can use just one machine.

Hmmm, thanks for the tip, I missed that - I thought it's pretty much the same as in Pluto.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-17-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Has anyone tried to install this on an Intel Mac Mini? If so, how did it go?
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page