Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Based on a recent interview with Mark Shuttleworth, Ubuntu's point man,
http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=2845484

it is revealed that Google's developer's all use Ubuntu.

Could there be a GooBuntu in the near future? It could be the long conjectured Google distro...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-20-2007, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

I'm not the only one thinking this, and old news to some of you-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu
http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/31/g...ktop-near-you/

I thought I made up the term "GooBuntu", too .

I really hadn't searched for the term before posting...

Bottom line, GooBuntu exists, it's just a matter of time before a version is released to the public.

...then watch the chairs fly from Redmond .

But seriously, watch the lawsuits against Linux start from Microsoft if Google releases GooBuntu to the public.

But the Great Battle (Microsoft vs Linux patents/IP) *will* happen, it's just a matter of sooner or later...
post #3 of 10 Old 04-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this happens. And if it happens it will make things REALLY interesting. Seeing a very successful company like Google behind a desktop Linux distro will make it very hard to ignore.

Tom
post #4 of 10 Old 04-20-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

But seriously, watch the lawsuits against Linux start from Microsoft if Google releases GooBuntu to the public.

What lawsuits would those be and how would anyone sue Linux?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
they'll say the linux kernel has stolen code from them and take it to court. I'm sure microsoft has stolen things from the kernel and then had it copywrited.. that's their MO
post #6 of 10 Old 04-20-2007, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by openbox9 View Post

What lawsuits would those be and how would anyone sue Linux?

Not Linux, but the distributors of the most popular/easiest distros, like Ubuntu, Linspire/Freespire, Xandros, and any other distro that starts to gain the mindshare and traction that Ubuntu has demonstrated.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-20-2007, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoper View Post

they'll say the linux kernel has stolen code from them and take it to court. I'm sure microsoft has stolen things from the kernel and then had it copywrited.. that's their MO

SCO tried this, and have not succeded. I don't know if Microsoft was involved with the SCO action.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Not Linux, but the distributors of the most popular/easiest distros, like Ubuntu, Linspire/Freespire, Xandros, and any other distro that starts to gain the mindshare and traction that Ubuntu has demonstrated.

I assume you're speaking of MS when you talk about suing. Considering that they've borrowed a lot of OS code, especially in the early years, I don't think that will be the case. Besides, as you already mentioned, SCO's failure somewhat sets a precedence so long as the kernel maintainers don't shoot themselves in the foot...which I don't believe they will. Beyond that, the worst that I foresee happening is that one of the distro maintainers foolishly incorporates non-opensource friendly code and ends up having to remove it, or worse yet, having to correctly license the code.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-25-2007, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Microsoft was behind SCO's move the 'guaranteed' a big loan that a VC firm gave to SCO.
Their current attack against linus was to sucker Novell/Suse into a patent cross-licensing agreement - Novell needed the money and their lawyers weren't sharp enough to understand what MS had planned until it was too late. MS has used that agreement to bully two other linux embedding/distributing companies into paying up, I don't remember off hand who, I think one was Fujitsu.

It is expected that the next version of the GNU Public License (GPLv3) will specifically forbid the kind of end-run that MS pulled with software patent cross-licensing. One reason the GPLv2 did not prevent it was that software patents did not exist at the time the GPLv2 was drafted (and they still don't exist in the EU and most other countries, although the lobbyists are trying very hard to change that).

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

Their current attack against linus was to sucker Novell/Suse into a patent cross-licensing agreement - Novell needed the money and their lawyers weren't sharp enough to understand what MS had planned until it was too late. MS has used that agreement to bully two other linux embedding/distributing companies into paying up, I don't remember off hand who, I think one was Fujitsu.

Does this mean that it will not be possible for an HP.com, Dell.com or brick & mortars like Best Buy/Circuit City/Staples/Office Max/Office Depot/Microcenter to commercially ship Ubuntu or Ubuntu-like distro pre-installed on a mass scale without paying license fees (extortion money) to MS?
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page