23 Useful System Applications for Linux
Posted by admin
February 9, 2009http://techcityinc.com/2009/02/23-us...ons-for-linux/
APTonCD is a free application for Linux that comes with a graphical interface which allows you to create one or more CDs or DVDs with all of the packages you have downloaded via via APT-GET or APTITUDE, creating a removable repository that you can use on other computers.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...te-opt-big.png
Key features include
* Backup all downloaded packages (via apt-get, aptitude and synaptic) to restore later.
* Take with you all your favorite packages, in a removable repository where you can install then all on anytime, anytime.
* Get an entire repository, or a specifc section. Simply point-and-click, and in few time you’ll have an CD(s) or DVD(s) with entire main, restricted, universe, multiverse, contrib, etc.
* Share your packages with your friends without Internet conection. Also, send a meta-package for him to install the same set of packages that you have.
Conky is a free, light-weight system monitor for X, that displays any information on your desktop. Conky has more than 250 built in objects, including support for:
* a plethora of OS stats (uname, uptime, CPU usage, mem usage, disk usage, “top” like process stats, and network monitoring, just to name a few)
* built in IMAP and POP3 support
* built in support for many popular music players (MPD, XMMS2, BMPx, Audacious)… and much much more.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rary/conky.png
Conky can display this info either as text, or using simple progress bars and graph widgets, with different fonts and colours.
Clam AntiVirus is an open source (GPL) anti-virus toolkit for UNIX, designed especially for e-mail scanning on mail gateways. It provides a number of utilities including a flexible and scalable multi-threaded daemon, a command line scanner and advanced tool for automatic database updates. The core of the package is an anti-virus engine available in a form of shared library.
FileZilla is the free FTP solution for your OS. FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interfacehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...3_win_main.png
Key features include
* Easy to use
* Supports FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS (FTPS) and SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
* Cross-platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X and more
* IPv6 support
* Available in many languages
* Supports resume and transfer of large files >4GB
* Powerful Site Manager and transfer queue
* Drag & drop support
* Configurable transfer speed limits
* Filename filters
* Network configuration wizard
* Remote file editing
* HTTP/1.1, SOCKS5 and FTP-Proxy support
* Logging to file
Ekiga is an open source VoIP and video conferencing application for GNOME. Ekiga uses both the H.323 and SIP protocols. It supports many audio and video codecs, and is interoperable with other SIP compliant software and also with Microsoft NetMeeting.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ry/ekiga_3.png
Some of the main features of Ekiga includes
* Instant Messaging
* RFC2833 DTMFs support
* Message Waiting Indications Support
* ENUM support
* Transparent NAT Support using STUN
* SIP re-INVITE support
* SIP/SIMPLE Presence support
* Line Monitoring
* Extended presence publishing
* Full SIP capabilities exchange for codecs
* SIP INFO DTMF support
* Ability to simultaneously handle several network interfaces
Beagle is a search tool that ransacks your personal information space to find whatever you’re looking for. sing Beagle, you can easily find:
* Emails & attachments
* Web history
* IM/IRC conversations
* Addressbook contacts
* Calendar appointments
* Source code
* Music/video files
* Srchives and their contents
GParted is the Gnome Partition Editor application. GParted is an industrial-strength package for creating, destroying, resizing, moving, checking and copying partitions, and the file systems. This is useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganizing disk usage, copying data residing on hard disks and mirroring one partition with another .
gzip (GNU zip) is a compression utility designed to be a replacement for compress. Its main advantages over compress are much better compression and freedom from patented algorithms. It has been adopted by the GNU project and is now relatively popular on the Internet.
OpenOffice.org the product is a multi-platform office productivity suite. It includes the key desktop applications, such as a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, and drawing program, with a user interface and feature set similar to other office suites.
Pidgin is an easy to use and free chat client used by millions. Connect to AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and more chat networks all at once.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...gotext-big.gif
Supported chat networks:
* Google Talk
ROX is a desktop environment, like GNOME, KDE and XFCE. It is an attempt to bring some of the good features from RISC OS to Unix and Linux.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ry/desktop.png
Traditionally,spacer_gif Top 100 of the Best (Useful) OpenSource Applications Unix users have always based their activities around the file system. Just about everything that’s anything appears as a file: regular files, hardware devices, and even processes on many systems (for example, inside the /proc filesystem on Linux).spacer_gif Top 100 of the Best (Useful) OpenSource Applications
Key features include
* Fast scanning of directories (in the background),
* Uncluttered display (popup menus are used throughout),
* Background file operations (copy, move, link, delete, permissions, find),
* Powerful expression-based find feature with on-line quick reference (eg ‘mtime after 2 days ago and size > 10Mb’ finds files based on their modification time and size)
* Mounts and unmounts filesystems (floppies, CDs, etc),
* Supports the XDND protocol, which provides for drag-and-drop file loading, and the XDS extension which allows drag-and-drop saving,
* Fully configurable from the Options dialog box,
* User-defined key bindings for all menu entries,
* A pop-up minibuffer allows navigating the filesystem using shell-style tab completion,
* The minibuffer can also be used for quickly entering shell commands,
* Full manual provided (HTML format).
* Support for running freedesktop.org ‘.desktop’ files.
Reconstructor is an Ubuntu GNU/Linux CD Creator. It uses the Desktop(Live), Alternate(Install), or Server disc as a base, and then allows for user customization.
For the Ubuntu Desktop base, you can customize the entire environment. For instance, you can add/remove software, change the default look (splash, themes, fonts, wallpaper, etc.), add desktop links, etc. For the Alternate and Server bases, you can add any additional software to the disc that you would like installed.
OpenSSH is a FREE version of the SSH connectivity tools that technical users of the Internet rely on. Users of telnet, rlogin, and ftp may not realize that their password is transmitted across the Internet unencrypted, but it is. OpenSSH encrypts all traffic (including passwords) to effectively eliminate eavesdropping, connection hijacking, and other attacks.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ry/openssh.gif
Additionally, OpenSSH provides secure tunneling capabilities and several authentication methods, and supports all SSH protocol versions.
PDFedit is a free and open source editor for manipulating PDF documents. Scripting is used to a great extent in editor and almost anything can be scripted, it is also possible to create own scripts or plugins.
MondoRescue is a free,comprehensive and reliable application for Linux that backs up your GNU/Linux server or workstation to tape, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R[W], DVD+R[W], NFS or hard disk partition.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...creenshots.png
In the event of catastrophic data loss, you will be able to restore all of your data [or as much as you want], from bare metal if necessary. Mondo is in use by Lockheed-Martin, Nortel Networks, Siemens, HP, IBM, NASA’s JPL, the US Dept of Agriculture, dozens of smaller companies, and tens of thousands of users.
K3b was created to be a feature-rich and easy to handle CD burning application. It consists of basicly three parts which includes “The projects” which are created from the file menu and then filled with data to burn. “The tools menu” that offers different tools like CD copy or DVD formatting and “Context sensitive media actions” when clicking on the Icon representing a CD/DVD drive K3b will present it’s contents and allow some further action. This is for example the way to rip audio CDs.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ary/splash.jpg
Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux that allows you to
* Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
* Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
* Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
* Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
* Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:
1) Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.
2) No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be distinguished from random data).
* Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS.
X File Explorer (Xfe) is an MS-Explorer or Commander like file manager for X. It is based on the popular, but discontinued, X Win Commander, originally developed by Maxim Baranov.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...eenshot-s1.png
Key features include
* Very fast graphic user interface
* UTF-8 support (through the FOX 1.6 library)
* Commander/Explorer interface with four file manager modes : a) one panel, b) a directory tree and one panel, c) two panels, and d) a directory tree and two panels
* Integrated text editor (X File Write, xfw)
* Integrated text viewer (X File View, xfv)
* Integrated image viewer (X File Image, xfi)
* Integrated RPM or DEB packages viewer / installer / uninstaller (X File Package, xfp)
* Copy/cut/paste files from and to your favorite desktop (GNOME/KDE/XFCE)
* Drag and Drop in Xfe and from and to your favorite desktop
* Root mode
* Status line
* File associations
* Optional trash can for file delete operations (trash can directory is ~/.xfe/trash’)
* Auto save registry
* Double click or single click files and directories navigation
* Right mouse click pop-up menu in tree list and file list
* Change file(s) attributes
* Mount/Unmount devices (for Linux only)
PuTTY is a free implementation of Telnet and SSH for Win32 and Unix platforms, along with an xterm terminal emulator.
FireStarter is a Real time firewall that monitors all of the open ports and active network connections on your computer. Allows you to specify a very strict rule set.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ry/events1.png
Key features include
* Open Source software, available free of charge
* Easy to use graphical interface
* Suitable for use on desktops, servers and gateways
* Enables Internet connection sharing
* Allows you to define both inbound and outbound access policy
* Option to whitelist or blacklist traffic
* Sets up DHCP for a local network
* Real time firewall events view
* View active network connections, including any traffic routed through the firewall
* Advanced Linux kernel tuning features
chkRootkit is the definitive solution for finding and removing rootkits from Linux machines. chkrootkit is a tool to locally check for signs of a rootkit.
* chkrootkit: shell script that checks system binaries for rootkit modification.
* ifpromisc.c: checks if the interface is in promiscuous mode.
* chklastlog.c: checks for lastlog deletions.
* chkwtmp.c: checks for wtmp deletions.
* check_wtmpx.c: checks for wtmpx deletions. (Solaris only)
* chkproc.c: checks for signs of LKM trojans.
* chkdirs.c: checks for signs of LKM trojans.
* strings.c: quick and dirty strings replacement.
* chkutmp.c: checks for utmp deletions
Nagios is a comprehensive web based tool equipped with virtually every imaginable feature for knowing exactly what’s going on in your network. It allows you to gain insight into your network and fix problems before customers know they even exist. It’s stable, scalable, supported, and extensible. Most importantly, it works.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...urary/home.png
* Routers, Switches, Firewalls
Kismet is a very popular wireless network detector, sniffer, and IDS. Kismet will work with any wireless card which supports raw monitoring (rfmon) mode, and can sniff 802.11b, 802.11a, and 802.11g traffic.
VirtualBox is a general-purpose full virtualizer for x86 hardware. Targeted at server, desktop and embedded use, it is now the only professional-quality virtualization solution that is also Open Source Software.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...burary/dsl.png
Some of the features of VirtualBox are:
* Modularity. VirtualBox has an extremely modular design with well-defined internal programming interfaces and a client/server design. This makes it easy to control it from several interfaces at once: for example, you can start a virtual machine in a typical virtual machine GUI and then control that machine from the command line, or possibly remotely. VirtualBox also comes with a full Software Development Kit: even though it is Open Source Software, you don’t have to hack the source to write a new interface for VirtualBox.
* Virtual machine descriptions in XML. The configuration settings of virtual machines are stored entirely in XML and are independent of the local machines. Virtual machine definitions can therefore easily be ported to other computers.
* Guest Additions for Windows and Linux. VirtualBox has special software that can be installed inside Windows and Linux virtual machines to improve performance and make integration much more seamless. Among the features provided by these Guest Additions are mouse pointer integration and arbitrary screen solutions (e.g. by resizing the guest window).
* Shared folders. Like many other virtualization solutions, for easy data exchange between hosts and guests, VirtualBox allows for declaring certain host directories as “shared folders”, which can then be accessed from within virtual machines.
A number of extra features are available with the full VirtualBox release only
* Virtual USB Controllers. VirtualBox implements a virtual USB controller and allows you to connect arbitrary USB devices to your virtual machines without having to install device specific drivers on the host.
* Remote Desktop Protocol. Unlike any other virtualization software, VirtualBox fully supports the standard Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). A virtual machine can act as an RDP server, allowing you to “run” the virtual machine remotely on some thin client that merely displays the RDP data.
* USB over RDP. With this unique feature, a virtual machine that acts as an RDP server can still access arbitrary USB devices that are connected on the RDP client. This way, a powerful server machine can virtualize a lot of thin clients that merely need to display RDP data and have USB devices plugged in.
Blender 3D is an open source 3D content creation suite. It offers high-quality, robust animation program with a steep learning curve and the ability to create commercial-quality 3D animations. The software is completely free, with extensive documentation available online for free.