DVD playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a hard time finding good documentation for xine. Xine is used for DVD playback in MythTV, at least in Ubuntu it is. I'm looking config file syntax on how to set audio offset info. My DVD's always play with the audio out of sync.

Second question is this. Does anyone else have issues with tearing/jittery playback iwth VLC and DVDs? I watched a ripped DVD last night using VLC and on large panning shots there was tearing.

The system is more than capable of playing DVD's well, P4 3Ghz lots of ram and all that. Video card is a NVidia FX5200 and I have no trouble watching OTA HDTV content using this system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can't help you much with xine, but I use myth's internal player to play DVDs (in Ubuntu). The myth internal player has audio sync settings in it's menu (at least on TV, I've never needed it on DVDs, but I would suspect it does for DVDs too).

No VLC playback issues for me, even on my celeron M laptop. When I had tearing/jitter on my plasma it was a matter of playing with nvidia-settings, xorg settings, and playback settings until I got things right...

Your PC and card are definitely plenty powerful enough. Since you don't have any problems with OTA HD (I assume using myth?) try playing some OTA recordings with vlc and see if you get tearing/jitter. If so, it may be just a matter of VLC settings.

post #3 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

i should clarify a bit... You can use whatever player you'd like to play DVDs in myth. You can set up the file association in the setup menu, or you can setup unique players for individual movies.

post #4 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I have my MythTV setup to use xine. What is your system using? Is it totem? MythTV doesn't have a "internal" DVD player, it always relies on something else.

What kind if things would you adjust for your NVidia drivers?

post #5 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

That was true of older versions of myth, but not current ones. I have it set to internal for DVDs (.iso, VIDEO_TS, and optical disks inserted into the drive). I've been using it that way for months. I'm using .20. What version are you using?

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythDVD

post #6 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I would try turning on the OpenGL vsync. This worked perfectly for my 6200. For my 6150, I tried a lot of different things -> This thread chronicled them:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815492

post #7 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

I'll double check my settings then and make sure to set it to internal. Thanks.

post #8 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Well I got up and running with the Internal player. Took a bit to realize I just needed to replace the player command with Internal. Now I'm finding that when I skip to the next chapter, once in a while it'll crash. I'm upgrading now to 7.04 (from 6.10) and hopefully that will fix things up.

post #9 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Was the audio sync any better?

post #10 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Two of my backends are on Edgy, and one is Feisty (two of my frontends are Edgy, and three are Feisty). I haven't had the problem you have with dvd (crashing), but I rarely watch dvds, I usually archive them and watch them as .isos or .img.

Sorry, I should have mentioned more specifically how to do it (specifying internal).

post #11 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

No worries. I got it figured out only because in one place it mentioned putting in 'Internal.' I like the internal because all of the keymappings are then the same as the rest of mythtv.

Audio sync was better. I played both a DVD directly and then tried ripping that same DVD to iso (Lord of the Rings - Return of the King extended) and it would crash the internal dvd player at the same spot. Could just be the disc. But really, it's not that often that I'm hopping chapters like that anyway.

post #12 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
what kind of specs is that computer... I have never had anything crash using the internal player (recently... mkv files used to crash back a few versions ago)
post #13 of 28 Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Abit IC7-G, p4 3Ghz, 1Gb kingston ram, memorex dvdrw drive, LG cdrom, nvidia fx5200 AGP card. This system has been a bit of a lemon since day one though. The onboard intel gigabit nic will cause the system to lock up at times regardless of OS used. Ubuntu will usually boot to the progress screen, then reboot and then load Ubuntu just fine. It has never run Linux very reliably though it runs Windows just great. I've tested memory, replaced it, different drives, doesn't seem to matter with Linux. I'm lucky Ubuntu Dapper loaded at all as other distros would usually fail. I've been using Linux for a long time and never have had the issues loading Linux on a machine as I have with this one.

In short, I don't doubt that it is just this machine in particular.

post #14 of 28 Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well it no longer crashes on me. No idea why. But I have playback problems with certain panning shots, particularly if the shot is moving up or down. It's annoying because MythTV makes for a better DVD player than our actual DVD player. The black levels out of our DVD player is well, not black at all. If I could get rid of the jumpy video during panning shots I'd be 100% happy.

post #15 of 28 Old 06-25-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

That sounds similar to the problem I had. Did you take a look at my 6150 thread above and what ended up fixing it for me?

post #16 of 28 Old 06-25-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Are you referring to using RTC for timing? I have not tried that but my problem sounds like it is exactly what you're describing. The audio is fine, but on large panning shots, lots of motion, it gets jumpy.

post #17 of 28 Old 06-25-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

yep, using RTC for timing and giving elevated privileges so that a higher interrupt frequency can be used.

post #18 of 28 Old 06-25-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'll try that tonight.

post #19 of 28 Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Well I tried. I can't successfully downgrade my NVidia driver on 7.04 because the driver won't compile. I can compile and load the newest driver, but RTC still doesn't work.

I tried setting the nice level of mythfrontend to -17 which seemed to help some but I'd have to watch more before really deciding.

post #20 of 28 Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Try running mythfrontend with elevated priveleges (you could just use sudo). Changing the nice probably doesn't do much unless your processor use was up...

post #21 of 28 Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

In order to use nice I had to run it elevated anyway. Although my proc use isn't up there, it probably wouldn't take much to cause a small stutter in the video since I'm using usleep.

post #22 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 10:01 AM

I have been noticing that DVDs on my system do something a little weird: During playback, when changing scenes (i.e. going to the next chapter/section in the movie), the player experiences what could best be described as a "hiccup". The audio cuts for just a second, and the video slows down, but doesn't really skip frames. I am using Myth's internal player, and it seems to do it for older DVDs and iso's of DVDs. I have not tried other players yet because, well, I have the internal player set up the way I want it (audio/digital passthrough was a bit of a pain to setup), and I don't want to go tinkering . I have not tried mplayer because (correct me if I'm wrong) it does not support DVD menus. I should have enough power for playback to be fine (AMD 64x2 3800+, 6150 integrated GFX, 1G RAM) and I am not running Beryl.
post #23 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I get the same thing and I just live with it. It happens when changing chapters and once in a while after unpausing.

I otherwise mostly fixed my playback issues by running mythfrontend at a much higher priority level.

post #24 of 28 Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

I get the same thing and I just live with it. It happens when changing chapters and once in a while after unpausing.

I otherwise mostly fixed my playback issues by running mythfrontend at a much higher priority level.

You have this problem even when running at a higher priority? I probably could live with it, but if it is fixable, I don't want to. How much RAM do you have? I have 1GB, I wonder if we would have the same problems if we upped our RAM . . . ?
post #25 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

P4 3Ghz with 1GB ram. The issue happens with discs or rips. I haven't truly tracked the issue yet but I imagine there is some kind of process that runs that causes this to happen, be it a cron job or some other processing doing some housekeeping.

- OR -

After looking over the release notes for mythtv 0.21 shows that some kind of choppy playback was fixed. Maybe that will fix the issues for us.

post #26 of 28 Old 07-10-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

P4 3Ghz with 1GB ram. The issue happens with discs or rips. I haven't truly tracked the issue yet but I imagine there is some kind of process that runs that causes this to happen, be it a cron job or some other processing doing some housekeeping.

- OR -

After looking over the release notes for mythtv 0.21 shows that some kind of choppy playback was fixed. Maybe that will fix the issues for us.

I saw that too when I was poking around last night, perhaps I will give that a go.
post #27 of 28 Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 AM

If myth is giving you problems with DVD playback, I would strongly recommend trying xine. You should be able to play back DVDs on a 700MHz machine with no problems. In xine's options, under the audio tab, change the speaker configuration to "Passthrough." You may need to increase the GUI experience level first.

Honestly, while mythtv is a great system for recording programs, and commercial skipping is great, I am appalled by the video playback quality compared to xine and mplayer. This is open source, why doesn't myth just borrow the better deinterlacing algorithms from xine and mplayer?
post #28 of 28 Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

I prefer the internal player because of the key bindings. I actually had a lot more trouble with xine and audio sync.

Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page