stupid question - how do you change the channel? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok, so my myth box is running nicely and I'd like to do a little channel surfing, but myth seems to operate differently than every other piece of tv equipment I've ever seen.

By default, you need to use the up/down keys to change the channel. When you press up/down, it brings up the mini guide, go up or down to the channel you want to watch and press enter. Ok, this is just like most dvrs/stbs etc. However, it seems like this is the only way to change the channels.

Is there a regular channel up/channel down key? I couldn't find them in the mythtv wiki. I figured out how to eliminate the need to press enter to actually change the channel, but it still doesn't work the way I think it should.

What I want is up/down and enter to work as they do by default, but I want another set of keys just to change the channel immediately. These should be the page up/page down keys so that you can jump around in the guide faster, but these keys seem to do something else while watching tv but correctly in the guide.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
never done that you may want to ask this question after searching the mythtv-users archive over on gossamer threads. I usually just direct tune it using the channel number input directly.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In mythfrontend go to Setup>TV Settings>Playback and hit enter a few times till you get to the On-Screen display menu. Uncheck "Always use browse mode when changing channels in LiveTV". Now you should just be able to change the channel with up/down.

I'm not sure how to get the setup you're asking for though. I'll look into tonight.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidon View Post

In mythfrontend go to Setup>TV Settings>Playback and hit enter a few times till you get to the On-Screen display menu. Uncheck "Always use browse mode when changing channels in LiveTV". Now you should just be able to change the channel with up/down.

I already did that.

I don't think myth can do what I want. It seems only up/down can be used to change channels.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You can change which keys are assigned to moving the channels in the keybindings editor (not sure how you get to it from the frontend, I change it via mythweb). I modified these quite a bit to get it just right with my remote, and to assign some global keys and jump points.

I'm not sure you can do exactly what you want to do because I don't think there are two separate sets of keys for "browse mode" and "change channel" mode. If you don't use favorite channels maybe you could set up all of your stations as favorite channels and then use the browse favorite channel buttons as a channel changer.

Or perhaps you could just use the 'o' key which I think toggles the browse mode (by default).

But you can play with keymappings and see.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Utilities/Setup->Edit Keys

I think in the frontend...
post #7 of 7 Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought about the favorite channel thing. that may be the only way.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page