A few questions about TV Tuner cards... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've decided to switch to using Linux as my primary operating system, and that means that my old ATI TV Wonder 650 is kinda worthless now. I've been looking into a new card, and from reading some posts on here I'm currently debating between the PcHDTV HD-5500 and the KWorld ATSC 110. I do have a few questions, though

-Has anyone here tried playing a Playstation 2 (or any other console using the S-video inputs) under linux with either of these? Does it work well? If not, can anyone recomend a cheap card that will work for this?
-The linuxtv DVB wiki says the HD-5500 has analog closed caption support. (I guess that's what Analog CC means, anyway). How well does this work in MythTV?

Any suggestions for other cards (though there don't seem to be too many ATSC/QAM cards supported right now) are welcome as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The ATSC 110 is a cheaper card and comes with a remote (though patches to the drivers are currently required to make it work). The pcHDTV-5500 has the much-praised LG fifth generation tuner. Both support s-video. Both support close-caption data. You can't play console games through MythTV (because there's a delay); I haven't tried through other programs, but the KWorld and the pcHDTV should be identical in that respect.

I have one of each card in my current system. For my purposes, they work the same.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

The ATSC 110 is a cheaper card and comes with a remote (though patches to the drivers are currently required to make it work). The pcHDTV-5500 has the much-praised LG fifth generation tuner. Both support s-video. Both support close-caption data. You can't play console games through MythTV (because there's a delay); I haven't tried through other programs, but the KWorld and the pcHDTV should be identical in that respect.

I have one of each card in my current system. For my purposes, they work the same.

I echo this sentiment. I used to have both and they pretty much were functionally equivalent for me - so I sold my 5500 and bought two more kworlds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page