Lowest cost 5th gen LG chipset for Myth - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-21-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, the subject kind of says it all.

It's all down to the tuner cards left to buy. The MythTV box will be used for OTA (ATSC) for the foreseeable future. With that in mind I'd like the latest (and arguably highest performing) OTA chipset.

QAM is an added bonus in case Comca$t is added in the future.

I've been eying either the Dvico Fusion 5 (lite? Is that discontinued?) or the PcHDTV HD-5500. Are there other options? Both clock in around $129 each so I'd like to find something to save a bit of money if possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edit here:

SnapStream has the Fusion 5 Lite for $99. Anyone have luck with this product? I'll snag two tomorrow if it is a solid MythTV card!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I originally bought a Fusion HDTV5 gold card for $150. I now use old Rev. 02 Air2pc cards you can get on ebay for under $20 each if you shop right. I've got 6 of them in my ATSC only system. Get as many of these as your MB will hold for less than the cost of a single one of the ones you are considering. I'd say 3 or 4 as a minimum and you'll never want for something to watch. The most I've had recording at the same time is 5. For what it's worth, I couldn't tell the difference between the quality of these old cards compared to the new ones. They do require you to install a firmare file on your drive, but some others do too. The HDTV5 didn't need one iirc. BTW, that 5th gen LG chip is over 2 years old. It was beaten long ago, but I wouldn't even consider such things unless you are really out a long distance from the towers or might have a multipath problem I get excellent recordings with the old cards at about 42 miles. But they are ATSC only. No qam or ntsc.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Really? 2 years old? Geeze.... Here I thought they were the latest!

Which chipset/cards have surpassed them? Maybe I will go with the HDHR!
post #4 of 7 Old 06-22-2007, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
If you listen to all the marketing you'd think that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread!

As wnewell alluded too, you can be just as happy with other chipsets. I would only purposely pursue a card with such a chipset if you felt that you (receiving locality) are adversely affected by environmental conditions and/or obstacles in the signal path. Otherwise, just find the best card suited to you on features and price....and if that happens to be a device with the LG chipset, then so be it. Otherwise, don't sweat it
post #5 of 7 Old 06-22-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I just got fed up with indecision and bought a HDHR!!!
post #6 of 7 Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The cheapest card with a 5th generation chipset is the ATSC KWorld-110. That has an nxt2004, a 5th generation ATI tuner.

The Fusion 5 Lite at $99 is probably the cheapest with the LG 5th generation tuner.

The old Air2PC cards with 2nd generation Broadcom chipsets are fine if they work, but don't expect them to work if you have any significant multipath.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

The cheapest card with a 5th generation chipset is the ATSC KWorld-110. That has an nxt2004, a 5th generation ATI tuner.

This is incorrect nybbler.

First, there is no industry accepted/embraced/recognized "xth" generation. Generation x, y, or z refers only to a specific company's line of demodulators. For example, the LG DT3303 is LG's fifth generation of demodulator products for ATSC ...(actually, IIRC, it really is their fourth -- I believe that "4" can be considered bad luck in some Asian cultures, so perhaps that might account for the jump....then again, maybe I am incorrect and maybe the 3303 really is the fifth in succession).

In any regard, second point is that the nxt2004 is a 3rd generation demodulator from Nxtwave/ATI (circa 2002).

And lastly -- the moral of the story / take home message for all -- don't get caught up in the marketing "generation" naming game, as it means little. What people should look at is how equivalent performance is between different manufacturers products, regardless of what technology generation name the companies have slapped on them.
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page