Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi folks,

Here is the current status of Linux drivers for some of the OnAir devices:

Sasem OnAir HDTV
- the analog encoding works perfectly, but the code has not been published yet ....otherwise, the only outstanding issue (I believe) deals with addressing the analog audio ADC
- digital ota works, but no success with digital cable so far.
problems
- the analog and digital driver code is currently mutually exclusive. The goal, obviously, is to combine the two sets of code into one functional set of drivers for the device -- this really isn't an issue, however, what follows is
- power cycle bug that seems to render the digital side useless and has not been overcome
- this issue is further compounded by the fact that, while the developer has excellent digital cable reception (which, unfortunately, so far has proven useless with this device), he has poor ota sources ... consequently, this fact renders testing with this device to be difficult/PITA.

OnAir Creator HDTV
- the analog encoding works perfectly, but the code has not been published yet ....otherwise, the only outstanding issue (I believe) deals with addressing the analog audio ADC
- both digital ota and digital cable work well
problems
- the analog and digital driver code is currently mutually exclusive. The goal, obviously, is to combine the two sets of code into one functional set of drivers for the device -- this really isn't an issue, however, what follows is
- power cycle bug again -- digital side works perfectly, but only after performing a series of power cycles. Obviously this far from ideal.
This issue has proven to be extremely frustrating -- most of the development was done many months ago, and not much progress has been made since. In fact, after being stymied the first time, development on this device was set aside. OnAir was then contacted, but the info provided did not lead to the problem being overcome. Consequently, a second cessation in the development of Linux drivers for the device ensued. Investigation in the matter was, again, recently rekindled, but, unfortunately, these latest efforts to overcome this nagging problem were also unsuccessful. As it stands, the developer is tapped out of ideas (although he suspects it to be related to gpio). And again, development/Investigation has again been set aside (probably for another month or so).

OnAir GT
Problems:
- Though OnAir provided info on the original Sasem and Creator USB boxes, none was obtained on the GT. What really is needed, specifically, is firmware documentation -- as help is required for Transport Stream transfers.
- the developer attempted to make the Linux driver use bulk transfers, but was unsuccessful -- i2c communications work, but this mode just doesn't result in a TS being streamed
- Observing the way the windows driver operates, it was discovered that the windows driver is using isochronous transfers for the Mpeg2 TS...why it is using this transfer type is puzzling, given that the hardware is perfectly capable of making bulk transfers (i.e. bulk transfers are better than isochronous for these purposes of streaming a TS)
- nonetheless, another attempt was then made, whereby the Linux driver mimicked the windows driver, however, other problems developed (the windows driver uses bulk control IN, and interrupt for control replies, but the "linux driver _really_ dislikes that")
- So, the current status with the GT driver is that it isn't working -- This, its believed, is all due to firmware.
More information and investigation is required.

The Bottom line
Currently, driver support for the OnAir Creator is the most mature of the three.
What would be really nice is if someone could help overcome the power cycle problem ... it is believed that it is the same issue affecting both the Creator and the original Sasem model ... in the case of the Sasem model, this implies that the tester should have access to good digital ota sources, in order to gauge whether any success is being made.

So, if you're a programmer (or even an end user) and would like to assist with the development of Linux drivers for these devices, please see and try the current code contained in the mercurial repository: http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/onair (Please note that this repository contains code only for the digital aspect of the devices -- the focus at this point is to resolve the issues on the digital side)
Clear instructions on how to access and then build the sources are found here: http://linuxtv.org/repo

If you have further questions or comments, please contact the linux-dvb project mailing list (see http://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailm...info/linux-dvb)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-17-2007, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It appears that (by the process of accidental discovery) the root cause of the power cycling problems has been identified and the problem has, more then likely, now been resolved for the Creator, and I'm assuming the original Sasem model too.( i.e. major hurdle overcome).
post #3 of 12 Old 10-02-2007, 06:14 PM

Liked: 10
bump for updates..
post #4 of 12 Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Hi guys,
When I have more info, I'll post here. Thanks for organizing all the info, CityK!

- Ryan Pertusio

AutumnWave Technical Support
OnAir Solution North America
http://www.AutumnWave.com
post #5 of 12 Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 PM

As I write this, more than 3 months have passed since post #2 in this thread that indicates that the power cycling problem is solved. I have looked over the change log referenced in post #1. The changes to add support for the OnAir devices is a year old as of now. Obviously those changes don't incorporate the latest fixes. I also downloaded the onair-bbaecc4c5764.tar.bz2 file (link at the top of M. Krufky's page referenced above). It appears the only code related to OnAir is in cxusb.c but I suspect that is also old code and is not the latest fixes. If someone knows to the contrary, please let me know.

I have not bought the OnAir Creator yet. I've been wanting to since the days of the Sasem unit, but lack of linux support has stopped me. So I'm in a catch 22 position. I don't want to buy a unit that will be useless to me as I don't run windows, and no code seems to be available for the fixes that are rumored to exist. Or is the latest code accessible somewhere I haven't looked?

I am running a locally compiled kernel (2.6.18/Debian Etch) with all the options for DVB turned on, but there is no mention of OnAir anywhere. Even the whole DVB sub-system referenced above only has old code, so of course no OnAir-specific code has migrated into the latest kernels, correct?

Where is the latest OnAir-related code? If I had some assurance that someone somewhere had the Creator working under linux, and could get my hands on the latest code, I might go ahead and buy it. I don't mind testing and debugging, but I don't want an expensive paperweight.

Any current news?
post #6 of 12 Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

* the repo mentioned above does contain the latest code...nothing has changed since...the cxusb driver is meant to be a testing grounds for digital functionality.

* the power cycle bug, unfortunately, was not corrected (as erroneously stated above). ..however, this problem is being worked on

* the biggest stumbling block right now is time -- many concurrent projects, with higher priority, are being tackled....so no promises or exact time frame as to when this will be readdressed.

* when some time is found to revisit this, the repo will be updated against the current Hg master branch and inherit the latest ... however, as the current master branch is broken in terms of compatibility against kernels 2.6.18 and older, it may be wiser to wait until the master branch is corrected first before respining the OnAir testing repo

* when some time is found to revisit this, there are several things lined up for testing, and hopefully the power cycle problem can finally be fixed once and for all.... it is actually suspected that once the cxusb staging area stuff is merged with the pvr2usb code, the power cycle problem will resolve itself automagically.

Again, the big issue now is time to devote towards this. There is a major refactoring of other code going on that impacts "the big picture" and, hence, that takes priority.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-10-2007, 12:50 PM

The current v4l-dvb master branch on linuxtv.org contains support for both the OnAir Creator and the OnAir HDTV (Sasem) unit, supported by the pvrusb2 driver.

Analog support only for now, digital support will come later.

A new cxusb tree will be re-spun before the end of this week, containing both the analog driver and the digital (testing) driver. Only one will work at a time for now, and the digital driver still has the power-cycling bug.

We're working to merge the digital support into the pvrusb2 driver. At that point, it should all work together properly, and the power-cycle bug should automagically disappear.

...stay tuned...
post #8 of 12 Old 03-18-2008, 05:29 PM

We are finally making traction with the full hybrid support.

We never actually solved the "power cycle" bug -- it turns out, the power cycles were putting the device into a random state, sometimes this random state was the correct state, and we got transport.

As it turns out, I sniffed the usb traffic from the windows driver and discovered that it _always_ starts an analog stream before changing into digital mode.

Well, that was the kicker! My digital-only cxusb driver never worked reliably because it wasn't kickstarting the analog side of the device!

Now, the device is fully functional in the pvrusb2 driver for analog encode, and we've been working on the digital side of the driver for the past few months. We have a debug driver that works in both analog and digital, but only if you use analog first.

Right now we're hoping to have a few questions answered before we proceed, but there finally is a light at the end of this long tunnel.

Check back here soon, and I'll post information about where to get the new driver and how to test it.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I know that my OnAir GT also always starts in "analog" before switching to digital in Windows.

Could this also be the key to making some progress with the Linux driver for the GT?
post #10 of 12 Old 03-20-2008, 06:04 AM

Mac The Knife,

No, the Sasem / Onair HDTV USB / Creator is completely different from the GT.

There is no driver for the GT, yet.

-Mike
post #11 of 12 Old 04-21-2008, 05:51 AM

The Linux driver for the OnAir Creator and the OnAir / Sasem USB HDTV is available in the following development repository:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb

For info on how to build the driver:

http://linuxtv.org/repo

Mailing list for support, etc:

http://www.isely.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pvrusb2

Driver informational home page:

http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/pvrusb2.html

We expect this to be merged into Linux Kernel 2.6.26

note: You need to install the "v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw" firmware to your firmware directory (usually /lib/firmware ) - more info on the pvrusb2 home page.

Enjoy!
post #12 of 12 Old 05-08-2008, 06:28 PM

Great to hear the Creator and Sasem will be in 2.6.26. Any word on the GT? Have the developers received the needed firmware documentation yet?
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page