Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 09-27-2008, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

Pin 1 is Power for optical SPDIF, Pin 2 is SPDIF Signal out, and Pin 3 is ground (Earth).

Just connect pins 2 and 3 to the RCA (cinch) connector with an old chopped down MPC audio connector or 2 pin digital out CDROM connector per the first post. The RCA center conductor gets soldered to the wire connected to Pin 2 and the RCA ground lug gets soldered to the wire conected to Pin 3 on your mobo.

@ RGB
I did built this coax connector to my mobo's spdif header out and it works fine with my digital audio receiver, however when i connect my HDTV to my PC thru DVI port video card for dual video out, my A/V receiver stops getting signal form this coax spdif and there is no sound anymore. It only comes back when i disconnect my HDTV. Do you have any idea how this works?, is it the ground or something? i just want my HDTV connected..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 09-27-2008, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic0912 View Post

@ RGB
I did built this coax connector to my mobo's spdif header out and it works fine with my digital audio receiver, however when i connect my HDTV to my PC thru DVI port video card for dual video out, my A/V receiver stops getting signal form this coax spdif and there is no sound anymore. It only comes back when i disconnect my HDTV. Do you have any idea how this works?, is it the ground or something? i just want my HDTV connected..

Sounds like a ground loop problem. Connect the analog out of your PC to the same receiver on one of its analog inputs and listen for hum from the speakers/headphones connected to the receiver to verify.

If you get ground loop hum, the quick solution is to use a 3 to 2 prong power cord adapter on all your components, or at least the component that is the source of the ground problem and/or the PC, though this link discourages the power cord adapter:
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/co...m-hum-and-buzz

Other links
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...m_solving.html

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messa...79/180767.html

http://www.channld.com/hum.html
http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-el...dio-shack.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 53 Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 PM

thanks, i'll check this out...
post #34 of 53 Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the pins are SPDIF, ground and possibly 5V (for brackets with optical SPDIF connectors), then yes, you should be able to use it on any motherboard with the same corresponding signal pins, cutting off the incompatible motherboard connector and soldering a connector compatible with your motherboard SPDIF pins. Modify an MPC 4 pin connector per the original post and solder the correct wires to the corresponding wires you cut from the commercial bracket.

It's possible to rearrange the connector sockets by lifting up the plastic tangs with a pin.

I've converted an Asus connector to MSI, and a FrontX one to Foxconn this way.

Blu-ray: 50+
HD-DVD: 23
DVD: 600+ and lost count
post #35 of 53 Old 01-21-2009, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Updated for a low cost 2 pin SPDIF cable source-

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

post #36 of 53 Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 PM

NIce how to guide. however I just dont get it. i have an rca coax cable. and a 4 pin header with two wires. one of the wires is a ground. so i solder the spdif to the inside of the coax. But where the hell do i solder the ground, please be specific.
post #37 of 53 Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie.J View Post

NIce how to guide. however I just dont get it. i have an rca coax cable. and a 4 pin header with two wires. one of the wires is a ground. so i solder the spdif to the inside of the coax. But where the hell do i solder the ground, please be specific.

Updated RCA jack picture with labels-

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...2&d=1233318465

If you're referring to an RCA panel jack, you're probably missing the ground lug, which is usually a loose part that pilots over the threaded portion of the RCA jack and is retained with a nut that screws onto the RCA jack from the back. You may need to buy another RCA jack. Some RCA jacks have integrated ground connection lugs that can't easily be separated from the jack assembly.

If you are referring to an RCA cable assembly and not a bare jack, then you solder the ground to the braided shielding per this cutaway, labeled "Double Metal Shielding":

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...5&d=1233323542

The idea is to pull back some of the braided shielding and twist it together on one side to form a "wire" to solder the ground to:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...6&d=1233323542

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...0&d=1233339399

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...1&d=1233339399

The above picture shows an F connector on an RG6 style cable vs an RCA connector, but the idea is the same re: braided shielding. RG59/6 cables usually have solid center conductors, while RCA-ended cables usually have stranded center conductors.
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #38 of 53 Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 AM

I want to make sure that if I am just using a coax connection I do not need to connect the 5v i just need to spdif out, and ground?

And if I am connecting the spdif out direct to an amp/receiver is their any risk to damaging the receiver if done correctly.

once more thanks to everyone in this thread, if it wasn't for this thread I would be lost...
post #39 of 53 Old 01-30-2009, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to make sure that if I am just using a coax connection I do not need to connect the 5v i just need to spdif out, and ground?

Correct. DO NOT CONNECT THE 5V for a coax (RCA) SPDIF connection.

The 5V is to provide power for an optical SPDIF module.

http://www.sys-concept.com/toslink_receiver.htm

Quote:

And if I am connecting the spdif out direct to an amp/receiver is their any risk to damaging the receiver if done correctly....

No risk if done correctly

Quote:

once more thanks to everyone in this thread, if it wasn't for this thread I would be lost...

You're welcome.

post #40 of 53 Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM

For anyone needing optical spdif here is a link to DIY.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/How_to_bu..._SPDIF_bracket

Great info overall. Thanks
post #41 of 53 Old 02-11-2009, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreman32 View Post

For anyone needing optical spdif here is a link to DIY.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/How_to_bu..._SPDIF_bracket

Great info overall. Thanks

Good catch.

Prolly easier/simpler/faster to just build the "free", simple coax SPDIF per this HOWTO, then convert to optical externally with

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

or take that external coax->optical converter apart (or leave it intact) and mount inside your case with mounting tape or velcro, adapting it to run off your internal PC power supply.

post #42 of 53 Old 02-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Liked: 11
i am planning running a mini rgb cable plus a coax for spdif from my computer in a different room to my tv/receiver. is rg-59 large enough for spdif? the cable run will be around 75-100 feet
post #43 of 53 Old 02-14-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mustang View Post

i am planning running a mini rgb cable plus a coax for spdif from my computer in a different room to my tv/receiver. is rg-59 large enough for spdif? the cable run will be around 75-100 feet

Generally, RG-59 works for coax SPDIF use, but for the long length you need, you might want to use RG-6, possibly quad shielded RG-6.

If you already have the RG59, try it and see it you get audio dropouts.

If you haven't bought the cable yet, buy quad shielded RG-6 from monoprice.com.

post #44 of 53 Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 PM

i made a cable using a cdrom audio one , with the help of this page http://shophobby.blogspot.com/2009/0...spdif-out.html
it is made to connect the internal spdif from an intel motherboard to the auzentech x-fi 2 pins spdif . the spdif signal is using the black cable , the yellow is the ground and the white is the 5v .
so i post a picture of it for someone to check if there is an error

this nice thread helped to solve the problem i talked about in this new one http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18127560
post #45 of 53 Old 03-20-2010, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Can't believe I hadn't added this earlier...

Enable SPDIF Output on your Soundcard in Ubuntu 8.04-9.04

(right click on Speaker icon in task bar systray, upper right)-> Open Volume Control
-> Preferences (near bottom right of dialog)
-> (check all options labeled "IEC 958", the electrical engineering term for SPDIF)
-> Close
-> Switches tab (appears after you enable the IEC958 options in Preferences)
-> Check all IEC958 (SPDIF) checkboxes
-> Close

post #46 of 53 Old 10-16-2010, 05:25 AM

Hello!
Thanx for this great guide... helped me a lot.

There are few things i m not sure about so i thought id ask, thanx in advance for the reply.

First, optical vs. coax, is there any real difference... i ll be using 5m of cable. Which one suffers less signal loss?? Is it worth putting an extra effort and funds to make optical output???

Second, to what extent will the quality of used components (cable, chinch connector) reflect in the final sound quality??? Am i o.k. just buying the cheapest components???

Third, i ve been trying to find the voltage of my motherboards spdifout connector but i cant find it anywhere. IT has a 5V pin next to the spdifout, so should I assume that the spdifout is 0.5V???
Is there any chance that it is 5V and that my reciever or motherboard "burns out" if i connect just the grounding and the spdif???

And last, and dumbest, but i want to be sure.
I have spdif in and out pins on my motherboard.
One is labeled SPDIFI and the other just SPDIF.
So SPDIFI is spdif in, and the SPDIF is spdif out??
post #47 of 53 Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello!
Thanx for this great guide... helped me a lot.

Thanks- welcome to the forum

Quote:

First, optical vs. coax, is there any real difference... i ll be using 5m of cable. Which one suffers less signal loss?? Is it worth putting an extra effort and funds to make optical output???

The only practical benefit I'm aware of for optical SPDIF is the prevention of ground loops due to lack of electrical connection between the PC and receiver/processor (assuming no other connection between the two devices other than SPDIF). If you don't have a ground loop issue, then there is no performance benefit.

Yes, coax SPDIF cables can be much longer than optical SPDIF, assuming no active cable extenders are used. No issues with coax for 5m assuming a decent quality RG59/6 cable.

Coax SPDIF is lower cost because you can use any old RG-59 or RG-6 cable or old composite RCA video cable.

So, no, it's not worth doing optical over coax in your case, assuming no ground loop issue with your PC.

Quote:

Second, to what extent will the quality of used components (cable, chinch connector) reflect in the final sound quality??? Am i o.k. just buying the cheapest components???

Assuming the build quality is sufficient (connectors won't come off easily or bad solder joints), just get low cost cables. Buy from monoprice.com and you're golden and cheap

Quote:

Third, i ve been trying to find the voltage of my motherboards spdifout connector but i cant find it anywhere. IT has a 5V pin next to the spdifout, so should I assume that the spdifout is 0.5V???

The 5V is to power an optical SPDIF output port- power for the LED.

Generally, for recent vintage boards, you can assume the spdifout pin is a safe voltage for external equipment, but there are always exceptions. Just look in your motherboard manual (Google or board maker website for pdf) to verify, or use a voltmeter .

Quote:

Is there any chance that it is 5V and that my reciever or motherboard "burns out" if i connect just the grounding and the spdif???

Again, in general, no worry for the spdifout pin, but you should verify with thte manual or some googling for your PC /mobo make/model.

Quote:

I have spdif in and out pins on my motherboard.
One is labeled SPDIFI and the other just SPDIF.
So SPDIFI is spdif in, and the SPDIF is spdif out??

That would be a safe assumption, given the hundreds of boards I've used/seen over the past two decades Again- consult the motherboard manual (google or OEM website search for mobo model number for pdf)

post #48 of 53 Old 10-24-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks- welcome to the forum

The only practical benefit I'm aware of for optical SPDIF is the prevention of ground loops due to lack of electrical connection between the PC and receiver/processor (assuming no other connection between the two devices other than SPDIF). If you don't have a ground loop issue, then there is no performance benefit.

Yes, coax SPDIF cables can be much longer than optical SPDIF, assuming no active cable extenders are used. No issues with coax for 5m assuming a decent quality RG59/6 cable.

Coax SPDIF is lower cost because you can use any old RG-59 or RG-6 cable or old composite RCA video cable.

So, no, it's not worth doing optical over coax in your case, assuming no ground loop issue with your PC.

Assuming the build quality is sufficient (connectors won't come off easily or bad solder joints), just get low cost cables. Buy from monoprice.com and you're golden and cheap

The 5V is to power an optical SPDIF output port- power for the LED.

Generally, for recent vintage boards, you can assume the spdifout pin is a safe voltage for external equipment, but there are always exceptions. Just look in your motherboard manual (Google or board maker website for pdf) to verify, or use a voltmeter .

Again, in general, no worry for the spdifout pin, but you should verify with thte manual or some googling for your PC /mobo make/model.

That would be a safe assumption, given the hundreds of boards I've used/seen over the past two decades Again- consult the motherboard manual (google or OEM website search for mobo model number for pdf)

Thank you.
post #49 of 53 Old 12-02-2010, 06:06 PM

I'd like to use a spdif over hdmi from my PC.
The graphics card (nVidia GTX 260) supports audio passthrough, but I sadly don't have an spdif header on the mobo (GB P-35-DS3R v1.0), but I have a rear coax sdpif-out.

Am I correct in thinking I could just use the guide in reverse and connect the coax to a 2 pin connector on the graphics card?

I still have to see if my DVI->HDMI adapter will pass the audio through it, but it should as the card has an audio PT feature and only dvi connectors. If not I'll try another DV->HDMI adapter.
post #50 of 53 Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 View Post

I'd like to use a spdif over hdmi from my PC.
The graphics card (nVidia GTX 260) supports audio passthrough, but I sadly don't have an spdif header on the mobo (GB P-35-DS3R v1.0), but I have a rear coax sdpif-out.

Am I correct in thinking I could just use the guide in reverse and connect the coax to a 2 pin connector on the graphics card?

I still have to see if my DVI->HDMI adapter will pass the audio through it, but it should as the card has an audio PT feature and only dvi connectors. If not I'll try another DV->HDMI adapter.

You should have no issue connecting the coax SPDIF out on the back of the motherboard to an SPDIF-in header on the video card. Just be certain to connect the SPDIF signal ad ground pins correctly.

I assume you will route the cable from the outside back inside the case. Just chip off any RCA audio or preferably composite video cable and attach the appropriate header connector per methods in this thread.

For a quick and dirty job, just twist the wires together then use black electrical tape around the twisted wires. Or solder the twisted wires then cover in electrical tape or shrink tube.

post #51 of 53 Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:

You should have no issue connecting the coax SPDIF out on the back of the motherboard to an SPDIF-in header on the video card. Just be certain to connect the SPDIF signal ad ground pins correctly.

Oh well, I did solder the cable. but no sound whatsoever reached the TV.
At this point I'm unsure if it's my DVI->HDMI dongles, or software setup.
I did whatever I could think of with software and the drivers.
Any idea how to check if the dongles are passing through the audio?

I would try to connect SPDIF coax directly to the TV, but the TV only has analog audio inputs (besides HDMI).
post #52 of 53 Old 01-25-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 View Post

Oh well, I did solder the cable. but no sound whatsoever reached the TV.
At this point I'm unsure if it's my DVI->HDMI dongles, or software setup.
I did whatever I could think of with software and the drivers.
Any idea how to check if the dongles are passing through the audio?

I would try to connect SPDIF coax directly to the TV, but the TV only has analog audio inputs (besides HDMI).

better late than never ...

DVI cannot carry SPDIF signals, so if you are using a DVI-HDMI dongle anywhere in the chain, SPDIF is lost.

post #53 of 53 Old 01-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for this guide!
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page