Stripped Down CentOS Install guide - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-21-2008, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We have posted up a very informative guide to installing CentOS. This is a great guide that should get you started in your next MythTV/Linux project.
http://www.missingremote.com/index.p...=2551&Itemid=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-21-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I set up MythTV on CentOS 5 last year. I was surprised to find that the CentOS kernel is not compiled with dvb support. I didn't check any further, but who knows what else is missing!

I ended up downloading the kernel source from kernel.org, and compiled a new kernel myself. I used a kernel config file from a Suse install, as they have everything compiled into it.

I also installed MythTV from (SVN) source, as I don't see it available from CentOS.

Your guide really isn't about MythTV at all. I hope you do a little more research on this subject!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-21-2008, 04:48 PM

It is true that the stock CentOS kernel may be missing some of the kernel modules typically found in the Fedora kernels. However, CentOS offers a "CentOS-Plus" repository where feature complete kernels can be found. The ( dl.atrpms.net/el5-i386/atrpms/stable/ )ATRPMs repository is where you will find additional kernel modules and a complete set of MythTV packages. All of this permits anyone with a 5.x version of CentOS to build a complete MythTV system without the need to compile source code. ATRPMs also has a "bleeding" repository where they hold weekly MythTV SVN builds if you want to try out the latest features (or bugs).

BTW, the guide never claims to be about installing MythTV. It merely puts the building blocks in place such that a user CAN install MythTV (or any number of applications) if they so choose.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
BTW, the guide never claims to be about installing MythTV. It merely puts the building blocks in place such that a user CAN install MythTV (or any number of applications) if they so choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky View Post

We have posted up a very informative guide to installing CentOS. This is a great guide that should get you started in your next MythTV/Linux project.

I read it differently.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-25-2008, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.missingremote.com/index.p...=2563&Itemid=1

Our next guide is installing CentOS on a flash drive
Reply HTPC - Linux Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page