85K for a single 400 disc changer & 160 GB HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you believe that Sony is packaging up some old electronics junk like a single 400 disc changer and a miniscule 160GB hard drive and putting it in a rack and charging 40K to 85K? http://www.cepro.com/article/sony_co...trol_solution/

From the looks of the article, they don't even have the decency to include their own 200 disc blu-ray changer.

I would think that for a comparable price you could get a combined Kaleidescape and Niveus system with servers and extenders and a control system that would blow away the Sony system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-27-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They could have at least put a Goldmund label on it

John
post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

You need to re-read the article... the system is a complete home automation solution (lights, sound, video, heat, security, etc.).
Quote:

the Home Controller HC-500 controls multiroom music, smart lighting, advanced temperature control, security and many other home automation sub-systems,

The Sony system is a complete home automation solution with modular components (including racks, sources, distribution amps and switches) & programming. This encompasses more than a Kaleidescape system does and is targeted toward the <$100k whole-house install. Kaleidescape is for the no-holds barred solution and would likely be teamed with >$100k systems and a full-custom integration solution (which would cost another large chunk of money).
post #4 of 5 Old 02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
While i am sure that it is overpriced, and in many ways is a neat idea... it scares me. the only thing that separates a true integration comapny is the ability to build that rack and all the stuff that goes with it. if that is just a SKU from Sony, i have to think that the rest of the work will go downhill.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #5 of 5 Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

You need to re-read the article... the system is a complete home automation solution (lights, sound, video, heat, security, etc.).The Sony system is a complete home automation solution with modular components (including racks, sources, distribution amps and switches) & programming. This encompasses more than a Kaleidescape system does and is targeted toward the <$100k whole-house install. Kaleidescape is for the no-holds barred solution and would likely be teamed with >$100k systems and a full-custom integration solution (which would cost another large chunk of money).

I realize that the system does more than just distribute DVD's and music, but how much more is the question. The main component, the HC-500, retails for only $1,500 as noted here: http://www.cepro.com/article/control...me_controller/

Also, the article says, "Keypads and touch panels can be added on as can lighting, temperature controls and a local zone controller for on-screen navigation zones." So it appears that those aren't included with the system.

That said, I feel sorry (actually I don't) for the naive person that spends 85K on a decked out system, only to find out that the only 1 zone can play a DVD on the changer, thereby rendering the other 11 HD video zones useless for wanting to watch any of the other 399 disks on that changer.

The idea is good, but without better source components, having a 12X12 HD video system seems like needless overkill. I think Control 4 would have been much better off trying to partner with Kaleidescape or Niveus that have far superior capabilities for multi-room access to media.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page