Escient Vision Line - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 238 Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada EH?
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Escient has a converter that transcodes Component Video & Coax Digital Audio to HDMI. This should output the native rate of the 777 @ 480i + DD or DTS. The Vision then can scale up to 1080p or you can use an external HDMI Scaler to to do the job. The new Sony BD changer will output HDMI obviously. Escient seems pretty confident that Sony has this unit in the works.
The VS models can accept as many as 4 external changers, either the new BD or 777's in any combination. The VC can only accept 1.

upon further investigation, i would like to ask you another thing. im currently looking at the sony 777es changer to use for sd dvd's. i am thinking of getting it sdi modded and outputting it into a dvdo vp50pro (or equivalent) scaler via sdi. so how exactly is this achieved when using either the older dvdm 100 or the new vs100? and if i understand correctly, one must use the exact same brand/model changer for all of the inputs for the dvdm 100, whereas the vc100 it can be any different unit?

Anthony A. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 238 Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

upon further investigation, i would like to ask you another thing. im currently looking at the sony 777es changer to use for sd dvd's. i am thinking of getting it sdi modded and outputting it into a dvdo vp50pro (or equivalent) scaler via sdi. so how exactly is this achieved when using either the older dvdm 100 or the new vs100? and if i understand correctly, one must use the exact same brand/model changer for all of the inputs for the dvdm 100, whereas the vc100 it can be any different unit?

Anthony, If you use an SDI output you must still use the Component outputs into The Escient to view your DVD library and cue up a movie. You could then switch the DVDO over to the SDI input for viewing. You would still need to keep your pre/pro or AV Receiver input on the Escient coax or optical output to hear anything. This would only work if the SDI mod doesn't disable the Component outputs when SDI is active. You would have to check with your modifier on that. I find this to be a very protracted process, and think it detracts heavily from the convenience that the Escient is able to achieve.
The DVDM can only handle Component and is set up to mate only with the 777. The Vision is HDMI and can handle the 777 w/ the Component/Coax converter or the up coming BD changer with HDMI. Hope this clarifies the issues. Regards, Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #93 of 238 Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Delayed till August.
Brian B is offline  
post #94 of 238 Old 05-31-2008, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

Delayed till August.

It's always something in this Biz, particularly when the MPAA is concerned.
tyree91 is offline  
post #95 of 238 Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
CanadaPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10


The longer this goes on, the more I have to look to other solutions.

Oh well.

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
CanadaPhil is offline  
post #96 of 238 Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
sipester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaPhil View Post



The longer this goes on, the more I have to look to other solutions.

Oh well.

Unfortunately, what other solutions are out there? Also, is the delay that big of a deal since the Sony Blu-Ray changer (which is a critical component of the ecosystem), is still nowhere to be found?
sipester is offline  
post #97 of 238 Old 06-03-2008, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaPhil View Post



The longer this goes on, the more I have to look to other solutions.

Oh well.

I think CEDIA will be very interesting this year. It's almost a good thing that we now have till then to make a commitment, and it is a big commitment. There should be a lot of announcements by US high end Cos. regarding 1.3a and the new codecs in pre/pros as well as various server solutions. I for one am looking forward to it plus a few extra days at my house in the CO Rockies. Regards, Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #98 of 238 Old 06-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Member
 
tec1271's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for a very noob question but I'm a bit confused with the video output chart on page 29 of the VS/VC User guide:

http://www.escient.com/manuals/VSVC_UG.pdf

Does this mean the only way to get a 720P signal is through HDMI?

gamertag: cosmo
tec1271 is offline  
post #99 of 238 Old 06-04-2008, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tec1271 View Post

Sorry for a very noob question but I'm a bit confused with the video output chart on page 29 of the VS/VC User guide:

http://www.escient.com/manuals/VSVC_UG.pdf

Does this mean the only way to get a 720P signal is through HDMI?

Cosmo, you've noticed something which is indeed a big deal. The Manual must have just been put up so I had not seen it yet, but I can tell you there is a big change in resolution since the seminar I took in January. At that time we were told that the unit would up convert to 1080p, and as I remember the Component Outputs were going to support up to 1080i. I have the product cut-sheet from that seminar, and although it looks exactly like the one on line, it says "Video Up conversion to 1080p." It looks like what we have here is a down resing, and I would guess it is a compromise with the MPAA. I must say it tempers my enthusiasm somewhat if it's true, and based on the current documentation on the web site it seems to be.
It also makes you wonder if the BD changer will be down resed to 720p. My bet is it will. Definitely not satisfactory if so. This may change everything. Regards, Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #100 of 238 Old 06-04-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Another unfortunate thing I noticed in the resolution chart was the fact that 480i is not supported by the HDMI output. 480i generally results in a better picture than 480p when the signal is processed by a high end video processor like a DVDO VP-50pro or a Lumigen etc.
tyree91 is offline  
post #101 of 238 Old 06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
CanadaPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

I think CEDIA will be very interesting this year. It's almost a good thing that we now have till then to make a commitment, and it is a big commitment. There should be a lot of announcements by US high end Cos. regarding 1.3a and the new codecs in pre/pros as well as various server solutions. I for one am looking forward to it plus a few extra days at my house in the CO Rockies. Regards, Norm

I have tempered my whole attitude towards this thing now. All my rep would tell me earlier was that these delays where being caused by HDMI issues.

Well, now that they have posted the pdf version of the manual, I think this makes some sense now.

I had been quoting this line in several proposals. One project is coming due RIGHT NOW. To have to backtrack with clients is the worst possible scenario, as it appears that the "final" version of this product will NOT do what was originally claimed last year.

We have also gone from shipping in Jan/Feb. 2008, to delayed till March.... then May/June...now August which means that we are closing in on a FULL YEAR from the time this line "debuted".

I am certain that "August" really now means the Fall at the earliest.



But the real kicker...

I had previously saved the original versions of the pdf spec and sell sheets.

If you now click on those tabs in the website, they have actually been REVISED, although at first glance they appear identical.

There NO LONGER is any reference to 1080p in the material.

Below is a cut and paste from the original pdf sell sheet. If you compare it to the "current" one in all categories, you will noticed that what I have shown in bold, no longer appears.

VS-100 & VS-200 KEY FEATURES:
• Play DVDs and CDs
• Automatic Disc Recognition
• Import movies through the front panel drive
• Import videos through the front panel drive
• Import music through the front panel drive
• High Definition user interface
• Dual internal 500GB or 1TB hard drives
• Reliable RAID 1 data mirroring
• Stores digital video, audio, and photos on the
internal hard drive
• External changer support for DVDs and CDs
• Rhapsody unlimited music service
• Video up conversion to 1080p
• Streams audio and video to Vision VC-1
networked clients or other VS(s)
• HDMI 1.3 In/Out
• Gigabit Ethernet
• External Control via Ethernet or RS-232 adapter

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
CanadaPhil is offline  
post #102 of 238 Old 06-05-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dizzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 5,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
one of hte things that people HATE about K, is there stubborn bullheaded refusal to talk about the future. they only talk about what is now. when a new prod is released, they tell you that in a week, that is what you will get.

etc, etc, etc.

I bring this up as i also worked for a company that over the years started to have more and more stuff take longer and longer to arrive on the loading dock.

From these two experiences, i have learned to irrefutable laws!
1. I trust NOTHING until i see it on my dock, (even then it can be a little dodgy)
2. NEVER trust a manufacturer. all they bring to shows are boxes with lots of "one off" magic smoke.

WHen i go to shows now, i have no interest at all (ok, maybe a little) in "new products" that are not yet shipping. too much interest means you will tell clients, they will want, you will check with mfgr and get a ship date, you will spec, you will get burned, your client will second guess all you do.

THis is the reality. anything else is folly.

Delays happen due to so many reasons... part supply issues (at extron we had a sub component for a potentially really popular product get discontinued right after the introductory show... hell, i am sure that happens regularly) that can cause a total re-design, final version issues that occur that make you go back and massively rework code, spec changes on standards, licensing issues you were not aware of, etc, etc, etc.


So you have to ask yourself... punk... do you feel lucky? It takes two to do the vapourware dance.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
Dizzman is offline  
post #103 of 238 Old 06-05-2008, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaPhil View Post

I have tempered my whole attitude towards this thing now. All my rep would tell me earlier was that these delays where being caused by HDMI issues.

Well, now that they have posted the pdf version of the manual, I think this makes some sense now.

I had been quoting this line in several proposals. One project is coming due RIGHT NOW. To have to backtrack with clients is the worst possible scenario, as it appears that the "final" version of this product will NOT do what was originally claimed last year.

We have also gone from shipping in Jan/Feb. 2008, to delayed till March.... then May/June...now August which means that we are closing in on a FULL YEAR from the time this line "debuted".

I am certain that "August" really now means the Fall at the earliest.



But the real kicker...

I had previously saved the original versions of the pdf spec and sell sheets.

If you now click on those tabs in the website, they have actually been REVISED, although at first glance they appear identical.

There NO LONGER is any reference to 1080p in the material.

Below is a cut and paste from the original pdf sell sheet. If you compare it to the "current" one in all categories, you will noticed that what I have shown in bold, no longer appears.

VS-100 & VS-200 KEY FEATURES:
Play DVDs and CDs
Automatic Disc Recognition
Import movies through the front panel drive
Import videos through the front panel drive
Import music through the front panel drive
High Definition user interface
Dual internal 500GB or 1TB hard drives
Reliable RAID 1 data mirroring
Stores digital video, audio, and photos on the
internal hard drive
External changer support for DVDs and CDs
Rhapsody unlimited music service
Video up conversion to 1080p
Streams audio and video to Vision VC-1
networked clients or other VS(s)
HDMI 1.3 In/Out
Gigabit Ethernet
External Control via Ethernet or RS-232 adapter

Phil, that's exactly what I was refering to in my quote above. I have the physical full color glossy cut sheet that was handed out by Escient and it says "Upconversion to 1080p" also.
Since most systems of this value are likely to have a Video Processor that's not such a big deal, but what about the BD changer. Will it pass through at 1080p or also be down resed to 720. I intend to find out. Regards, Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #104 of 238 Old 06-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Member
 
tec1271's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone looked/compared this to the Axonix Media Max?

gamertag: cosmo
tec1271 is offline  
post #105 of 238 Old 06-06-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
CINERAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Pining for the Taiga
Posts: 12,796
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The axonix does not have hdmi 1.3, it will once a pc card is introduced.

For many months the axonix had it's share of peculiarities, at this point in time the axonix is like Mary Poppins practically perfect in every way. Still with the extraordinary amount of bd's coming down the pike, is hardrive storage really sensible, specially in a one zone system? Megacgangers with zippy loading times are needed.

The sony HESV1000 unfortunately can't find the disc cover on new releases, and it does take longer than the axonix to load a movie.
CINERAMAX is offline  
post #106 of 238 Old 06-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Member
 
tec1271's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't mean to threadjack, but can the MediaMax stream non 1080P outside of single zone?

gamertag: cosmo
tec1271 is offline  
post #107 of 238 Old 06-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Member
 
marcus wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, England
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Will it pass through at 1080p or also be down resed to 720. I intend to find out. Regards, Norm

I called Escient to ask about this and other issues - this is what I was told:

The resolutions in the online manual are what the system is capable of at the moment - they are not the maximum that will ever be possible. At the moment, the Vision doesn't play Blu-ray as it doesn't have a BD drive and Sony haven't come out with a BD changer, so these resolutions are for DVDs.

The Vision doesn't accept interlaced input signals. So if you use a 777ES changer, you have to switch it to progressive scan output.

The Vision will use a new database for metadata, I think a 3rd party one, which includes R2 titles. Existing Escient units will not be able to access this new database, but the current database will also be revised (with some discs from other regions, I think).

The 5 times region change limit only applies to discs loaded/ripped in the Vision's front tray - it will not apply to discs in external changers.

The Vision will never be capable of ripping DVDs to the hard drive via external changers due to the nature of the operating system.

They have not been told anything about a Sony BD changer.

It sounds like the delays have been caused mainly by work to ensure that the HDMI output will work correctly.
marcus wood is offline  
post #108 of 238 Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus wood View Post

I called Escient to ask about this and other issues - this is what I was told:

The resolutions in the online manual are what the system is capable of at the moment - they are not the maximum that will ever be possible. At the moment, the Vision doesn't play Blu-ray as it doesn't have a BD drive and Sony haven't come out with a BD changer, so these resolutions are for DVDs.

The Vision doesn't accept interlaced input signals. So if you use a 777ES changer, you have to switch it to progressive scan output.

The Vision will use a new database for metadata, I think a 3rd party one, which includes R2 titles. Existing Escient units will not be able to access this new database, but the current database will also be revised (with some discs from other regions, I think).


The 5 times region change limit only applies to discs loaded/ripped in the Vision's front tray - it will not apply to discs in external changers.

The Vision will never be capable of ripping DVDs to the hard drive via external changers due to the nature of the operating system.

They have not been told anything about a Sony BD changer.

It sounds like the delays have been caused mainly by work to ensure that the HDMI output will work correctly.

Marcus, thanks for the info. I'm not sure why they downgraded the res to 720p, but from your info that may be temporary. It's too bad that it won't output 480i as that would probably be the best resolution for a high end video processor.
The only thing I have that differs from your info is that they have it on good authority that Sony is going to build a BD version of the 777. In fact the 777 factory has already been converted to produce it. I expect to see something on this at CEDIA. Regards, Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #109 of 238 Old 06-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Senior Member
 
marcus wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, England
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Norm, that's good news about the BD changer. I hope Sony see fit to sell it outside N.America this time, and that JVB come up with a multi region mod...

Escient are still aiming to start shipping the Vision in August, by the way.
marcus wood is offline  
post #110 of 238 Old 06-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Senior Member
 
marcus wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, England
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

upon further investigation, i would like to ask you another thing. im currently looking at the sony 777es changer to use for sd dvd's. i am thinking of getting it sdi modded and outputting it into a dvdo vp50pro (or equivalent) scaler via sdi. so how exactly is this achieved when using either the older dvdm 100 or the new vs100? and if i understand correctly, one must use the exact same brand/model changer for all of the inputs for the dvdm 100, whereas the vc100 it can be any different unit?

I would think the best way to do this with the VS100 would be:
Connect the VS100 control interface to the 777's RS232 port via the Escient adapter, as normal.
Connect the SDI output of the 777(s) to the scaler's SDI input(s).
The scaler upscales to 1080p/24 (for NTSC DVDs) or 1080p/50 (for PAL DVDs).
If the scaler only has one HDMI output, connect the scaler's HDMI output to an HDMI splitter (e.g. the Geffen 1:4).
Connect each of the splitter's HDMI outputs to one of the VS100's HDMI inputs (one for each changer).
When the VS100 switches to the HDMI inout for the relevant changer, it will 'see' a 1080p signal.

This method assumes:
That the SDI output on any unused 777s will not be 'live' and that the scaler will automatically switch to the SDI input that is 'live' .
That the VS100 will be able to cope with 1080p input/output, which it probably will not be able to do until there's a BD changer.
That the Escient is not programmed to only accept 480p input signals when it's controlling a 777 (which would always output 480i/p or 576i/p).
That (for PAL discs) the VS100 will accept 1080p/50, which it might not, given that no Blu-ray and HD-DVD players output 1080p/50.
That the VS100 will not get confused by having live HDMI input signals from changers which it thinks should be switched off.
That there would not be any handshaking issues - the VS100 would expect to be hand-shaking with the Escient component to HDMI adapter, not with some third party splitter.

With the DVDM-100, you could possibly use a similar method but of course the scaler would have to output component and you'd have to use a component & digital audio splitter. That's assuming the DVDM-100 is able to pass a 1080i/p component signal. I'm not sure if any scalers can output 1080p over component. It might be more likely to work though, as there's no processing applied to a component signal by the DVDM-100.
marcus wood is offline  
post #111 of 238 Old 06-19-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus wood View Post

I would think the best way to do this with the VS100 would be:
Connect the VS100 control interface to the 777's RS232 port via the Escient adapter, as normal.
Connect the SDI output of the 777(s) to the scaler's SDI input(s).
The scaler upscales to 1080p/24 (for NTSC DVDs) or 1080p/50 (for PAL DVDs).
If the scaler only has one HDMI output, connect the scaler's HDMI output to an HDMI splitter (e.g. the Geffen 1:4).
Connect each of the splitter's HDMI outputs to one of the VS100's HDMI inputs (one for each changer).
When the VS100 switches to the HDMI inout for the relevant changer, it will 'see' a 1080p signal.

This method assumes:
That the SDI output on any unused 777s will not be 'live' and that the scaler will automatically switch to the SDI input that is 'live' .
That the VS100 will be able to cope with 1080p input/output, which it probably will not be able to do until there's a BD changer.
That the Escient is not programmed to only accept 480p input signals when it's controlling a 777 (which would always output 480i/p or 576i/p).
That (for PAL discs) the VS100 will accept 1080p/50, which it might not, given that no Blu-ray and HD-DVD players output 1080p/50.
That the VS100 will not get confused by having live HDMI input signals from changers which it thinks should be switched off.
That there would not be any handshaking issues - the VS100 would expect to be hand-shaking with the Escient component to HDMI adapter, not with some third party splitter.

With the DVDM-100, you could possibly use a similar method but of course the scaler would have to output component and you'd have to use a component & digital audio splitter. That's assuming the DVDM-100 is able to pass a 1080i/p component signal. I'm not sure if any scalers can output 1080p over component. It might be more likely to work though, as there's no processing applied to a component signal by the DVDM-100.

Marcus that might just work, but wouldn't it be nice to have an SDI output on the Vision for the VP50pro. I wonder if JvB or MSB could do that? Would it pass copy protection muster? Regards, Norm
tyree91 is offline  
post #112 of 238 Old 06-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
marcus wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, England
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe, although that would only be worth doing for movies stored on the hard drive - there wouldn't be much point if you use changers connected by HDMI. In the UK, the internal hard drive is going to be useless for movies for many people, because of the enforcement of region coding.
marcus wood is offline  
post #113 of 238 Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
CanadaPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thread pretty much died.

Well, here is a quick update. I had an opportunity to finally see a working demo unit and here are some points for those who still may care.

- Units are expected to now begin shipping the third week of August. (I assume they meant this year )

- Escient is still claiming they have enough supply of the discontinued Sony 777ES DVD changers to last through September.

- The rep continued to hint that Escient "EXPECTS" to see Sony announce a new 400 Disc Bluray Changer at CEDIA in Denver. I guess we will see.

- An accessory unit (CH-1) will be offered to allow those with discontinued 777 SD Changers to inteface them with the new Vision line. The rep "thinks" the accessory will sell for $ 150 (I found that extremely hard to believe). The small box takes the Component video and Digital Audio outputs from the changer and converts it to pass over HDMI to the Vision.

-1080p is enabled for future Bluray changer use. 1080p upconversion for SD discs will require a "future" firmware update.

- The front USB port on the Vision server is activated for external USB keyboards only (for meta data editing)

- The rep advised that the external control protocols are the same as in the previous Fireballs, so the Vision should be compatible with ANY third party control systems as before.

- Even though it not really clearly stated anywhere on Escients site, the Vision line IS compatable with the Fireball FP1 and ZP1 music zone players and iPod dock player.

- You can control the Vision server with any Wifi enabled tablet or device such as iTouch and/or iPhone.

- This came from the rep.... The MAXIMUM number of VX600 storage devices which can be connected is 4 (Four). Don't know why.... Thats just what he said. The NAS uses Seagate branded SATA II drives.

- According to the rep, there is NO provision for buying storage "licenses" or using other third party NAS's. This will remain an ENTIRELY CLOSED system from the additional storage aspect.

- MAXIMUM number of VC-1 Media players which can be connected to a Vision VS100 or VS200 server is 5 (Five), or 10 (Ten) in the case of a VX600. The theoretical maximum number of Media Players in one system is 40 (Forty). Ten connected to each of the VX600's. Again, dont know the exact rationale behind these maximum numbers. They came from the Escient rep.

- Interesting feature.... If you already have ripped movies on a PC, you can apparently transfer these DIRECTLY to a Vision. However, this will only be possible with movies stored in a single file ISO format. Once a movie is on Vision, it CANNOT be shared over the interent or moved to any other form of storage or re-ripped.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also of note.... The 2 Zone MX752 Fireball and the MX531 models are discontinued and the only Fireball models going forward will be the MX111 and MX311. I assume they will be discontinued entirely at some point as the Vision line fully takes over.

----------------------------------------------------
Thoughts on the overall demo.....

I have to say that when I have seen the static shots or simple flash demos of the Vision interface on the Escient site, I wasn't really impressed.

However, when viewed in realtime on a "real" display, I found the interface was clean and attractive. Kind of across between K. and Apple TV in way.

It appeared to navigate fairly quickly. It seemed a little sluggish at some points, but it is clearly much faster than the previous Fireball GUI.

The stored movie does in fact bypass ALL of the warnings and "commercials" at the beginning of stored SD discs and goes straight to the movie. (I dont believe this is the case for physical discs in the single tray or attached changers)

Was I blown away by this product.... NO.

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
CanadaPhil is offline  
post #114 of 238 Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
analogueaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Blackpool, Lancashire, UK
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaPhil View Post

Agreed, but my guess is that XXXXXXXX took care of any software requirement for accessing "their" NAS.

Here are just the basic specs for the NAS as it is in its "normal" form:

Form Factor: 1U
Hot-Swap Bays: 4
Compatible RAID Levels: 0,1,5
Number Of Hard Drives Bays: 4
Hard Drives Included: 0
Hard Drive Interface: SATA II
USB Ports: 2
RJ-45 Ports: 1
Communications Description: Network Adapter
Interface Type: RJ-45

Data Transfer Rate: 1000 Mbps /100 Mbps/10 Mbps
Protocols: TCP/IP

Built-In Network Services: FTP Server, HTTP Server,SMB,AFP, CIFS
Windows ADS, MySQL Server, iTunes Server

Networking Standards: IEEE 802.3i 10Base-T Ethernet
IEEE 802.3u 100Base-TX Fast Ethernet
IEEE 802.3ab Gigabit Ethernet

I just came across this thread. I'll save you the research time, the VX-600 is actually a Synology RS407, there are some of these on a site where I do some work, and in the UK these are available with 4 X 1TB drives for around £1K each including VAT. Makes the Escient price seems a shade high.

Based on what I've read all escient has done is change the graphics on the internal software, silk screened some new logos and serial numbers, and probably changed the manuals / packaging, other than that, it's pure Synology. these are very good units, I've found them to be much better than the rackmount Thecus and there hasn't been a single failure of one of these units so far, and they're being used 24/7.

I don't know why Escient would put that limit of only having 4 X VX-600's in their system, I wonder if the problem is related to their management software not being able to handle more than 2400 titles rather than there being an actual limit as to how much storage the system can address?

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Dave
analogueaddict is offline  
post #115 of 238 Old 07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
CanadaPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogueaddict View Post

Hello,



I just came across this thread. I'll save you the research time, the VX-600 is actually a Synology RS407, there are some of these on a site where I do some work, and in the UK these are available with 4 X 1TB drives for around £1K each including VAT. Makes the Escient price seems a shade high.

Based on what I've read all escient has done is change the graphics on the internal software, silk screened some new logos and serial numbers, and probably changed the manuals / packaging, other than that, it's pure Synology. these are very good units, I've found them to be much better than the rackmount Thecus and there hasn't been a single failure of one of these units so far, and they're being used 24/7.

Ding...ding...ding..ding...ding!! Thats the one!

I didn't want to be the one to blurt it out, but honestly, anyone with any involvment with IT would have instantly recognized that piece as being nothing more than a Synology product.

It couldn't be any easier to find.... Simply go to tigerdirect.com and enter 1U NAS as a search string. Scroll down...See it?... Now outfit it with 4 Seagate 1TB SATA II drives and what does it cost? Certainly not $ 8,000!

But in fairness, it is an excellent choice. A very reliable NAS.

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
CanadaPhil is offline  
post #116 of 238 Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
marcus wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, England
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So could someone just plug in a Synology RS407 to a VS-100 instead of the Escient VX600, and get the same functionality?
marcus wood is offline  
post #117 of 238 Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
CanadaPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus wood View Post

So could someone just plug in a Synology RS407 to a VS-100 instead of the Escient VX600, and get the same functionality?

NO..... The software is proprietary.

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
CanadaPhil is offline  
post #118 of 238 Old 07-31-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Anthony A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada EH?
Posts: 2,542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
like stated many times with many companies, rebranding is a thing of the norm. one usually pays a higher price because of "tweaks", or software, etc. and, as always, companies will charge much higher for their product than the actual oem that is available. projectors are notorious for this, and the highest end companies do this.

Anthony A. is offline  
post #119 of 238 Old 08-13-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
proudx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Marietta, GA USA
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the Fireball pass title information via rs-232 to the kenwood DV-5900M internal library so it shows up on the kenwood changers library as well as LCD display on the front of the 5900? i

n other words if will the fireball populate the dvd title text for each slot on the kenwood dv-5900m itself so I don't have to manuall enter title info in the kenwood dv-5900m library. I am hoping This title info should be passed via RS-232 into the dvd changers from fireball
proudx is offline  
post #120 of 238 Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
marcus wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: London, England
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post

Does the Fireball pass title information via rs-232 to the kenwood DV-5900M internal library so it shows up on the kenwood changers library as well as LCD display on the front of the 5900?

In other words will the fireball populate the dvd title text for each slot on the kenwood dv-5900m itself so I don't have to manuall enter title info in the kenwood dv-5900m library. I am hoping This title info should be passed via RS-232 into the dvd changers from fireball

No, the Escient units do not send this data to the changers, but the Escients download it all automatically (in theory) and store it internally, so you don't need to key it in.

Anyway, I hear the Vision has started shipping - has anyone got one yet?

And at Cedia Sony did indeed show a 400 disc BD/DVD/CD changer to succeed the 777. The Sony people there were vague as to when it will start shipping - it could be next summer. The one on display is just a mock-up, but it's taller (!) than the 777 - they said the BD circuitry wouldn't fit in the 777 casing. They seem to be undecided as to whether it will be sold outside the US/Canada. It's likely to retail for about $1,000, according to Escient, although the Sony people wouldn't comment on the price.

Apparently you can only officially get DVDs bulk loaded onto the Vision by sending the unit to Riptopia. This is something to do with Escient's DVD licensing agreement. You can import FLAC files from a PC though. You can also import unencrypted video files from a PC (so maybe you could bulk load DVDs that way, in practice).
marcus wood is offline  
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off