post #181 of 238 Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SORAPP View Post

Is the VC-1 the only Escient Vision device you have? I ask because Escient support says you must also have either a VS-100, VS-200 or VX-600 to use the VC-1.

Yes, this is where it is confusing - I can't seem to get a definitive answer if the VC-1 can be used on it's own (it apparently does support one changer connection). or does it need to slave to a VS-100/200?

And as you pointed out, without a hard drive, how would the VC-1 actually store the DVD/CD information...?

I'll try Escient support again as well

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 238 Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I got off the phone with Escient tech support a short while ago - excellent pre-sales support...

1) Yes, the VC-1 can be used stand-along, as it has internal flash memory of sufficient capacity to store all the changer's cover art and disc information.

2) Changes to library data can be made through a Flash-enabled web browser as well as the GUI

3) Functionality/interface of the VC-1 w/ the BDP will look and operate just like the GUI for the DVD library, albeit a bit slower due to the changer loading.

4) Looking at Q4 (October/November) for the BDP support, as they also are rolling in some additional firmware fixes (performance/stability enhancement, with some additional navigation functionality it seems)

post #183 of 238 Old 08-19-2009, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 360
VS-100 fan noise?

was wondering if the VS-100 has fan noise like the DVDM series? The DVDM fan was really noticeable when it turned on

any comments welcome
post #184 of 238 Old 08-19-2009, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone currently using an Escient with a Sony changer know if the changer is still directly addressable by IR/front panel controls even when it is connected to the Vision?

I ask because I'm thinking of splitting the HDMI signal from the BDP, with one feed going to the Vision and the other going to an HDMI distribution matrix. The Excient HDMI out would then connect as a second source on the HDMI distribution matrix.

This would allow, when necessary, someone to watch the the Escient ripped content as one source, and another zone to access the BDP directly to watch blu ray, albeit without the Escient interface.

post #185 of 238 Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

VS-100 fan noise?

was wondering if the VS-100 has fan noise like the DVDM series? The DVDM fan was really noticeable when it turned on

any comments welcome

I have one and do not notice any fan noise
post #186 of 238 Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:

VS-100 fan noise?

any comments welcome

I have the VS-100 and I feel the fan is a little too noisy. It seems to be on most of the time. I can't hear it when I am watching a movie or listening to music, but when the unit is in stand-by and the house is quiet I can easily hear it. Escient support says it is supposed be on only when necessary, but that doesn't seem to be the case for mine. Honestly it is not a big issue, it just bothers me that it seems to be on too often.
post #187 of 238 Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Does anyone currently using an Escient with a Sony changer know if the changer is still directly addressable by IR/front panel controls even when it is connected to the Vision?

I ask because I'm thinking of splitting the HDMI signal from the BDP, with one feed going to the Vision and the other going to an HDMI distribution matrix. The Excient HDMI out would then connect as a second source on the HDMI distribution matrix.

This would allow, when necessary, someone to watch the the Escient ripped content as one source, and another zone to access the BDP directly to watch blu ray, albeit without the Escient interface.

The short answer is "NO". I have used the Escient VS-100 with a 777ES changer. You cannot directly operate the changer when it is connected to the Escient. The only exception is if you "STOP" a movie in progress using the Escient "STOP" command, you can access some of the changers setup features using the changers native remote. You cannot resume the movie using the changer's native remote, you must resume using the Escient remote control. Another oddity is that when you try to resume from the above scenario the Escient forces you to the beginning of the movie, so make sure you make your adjustmenst early in movie. All in all this is not such a big deal since you don't need to change settings after you get them where you want them, but I don't think you will be able to do what you are suggesting.

I can't speak to the 7000ES changer because it is not yet supported, but I would be surprised if it is different.
post #188 of 238 Old 08-19-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The short answer is "NO". I have used the Escient VS-100 with a 777ES changer. You cannot directly operate the changer when it is connected to the Escient. The only exception is if you "STOP" a movie in progress using the Escient "STOP" command, you can access some of the changers setup features using the changers native remote. You cannot resume the movie using the changer's native remote, you must resume using the Escient remote control. Another oddity is that when you try to resume from the above scenario the Escient forces you to the beginning of the movie, so make sure you make your adjustmenst early in movie. All in all this is not such a big deal since you don't need to change settings after you get them where you want them, but I don't think you will be able to do what you are suggesting.

I can't speak to the 7000ES changer because it is not yet supported, but I would be surprised if it is different.

Boo! Hiss!, but I guess I understand...

Got the Vision VS-100 today, and started ripping within a few minutes. Not sure who had the interface inspiration first but it would seem either Apple could sue Escient or Escient could sue Apple given the similarities I see with Front Row on the Mac and the Escient GUI...!

Awaiting an Intelix 4x4 Twisted Pair Matrix switcher to arrive tomorrow, and we'll see how multi-zone viewing works (The VC-1 approach was too limiting and too expensive). The Intelix seems to be very well thought out...

post #189 of 238 Old 08-20-2009, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, confirmed this with Escient - the BDP will actually respond to all IR commands, but if connected to the Escient via RS-232, the Escient will enforce a stop command if the BDP starts playback on it's own.

There MAYBE a future implementation in the firmware where this is not the case, but I was told this is unlikely and not to bank on it...

post #190 of 238 Old 08-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Has escient confirmed that they are using RS-232 and not HDMI to control the new sony bluray changers?
post #191 of 238 Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

Has escient confirmed that they are using RS-232 and not HDMI to control the new sony bluray changers?

i was told RS-232 but I didn't ask about HDMI control alternatively - did you call them? They are typically very responsive....

post #192 of 238 Old 08-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:

See the response I got from Escient in this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16914187
post #193 of 238 Old 08-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I have the VS-100 and I feel the fan is a little too noisy. It seems to be on most of the time. I can't hear it when I am watching a movie or listening to music, but when the unit is in stand-by and the house is quiet I can easily hear it. Escient support says it is supposed be on only when necessary, but that doesn't seem to be the case for mine. Honestly it is not a big issue, it just bothers me that it seems to be on too often.

Thanks

I am very sensitive to fan noise

On the DVDM unit, I found the major source of fan noise was the fan guard and sheet metal at the fan exhaust: by cutting out the sheet metal and removing the fan guard, the fan noise was reduced: adding a fan speed control and isolating the mounting points did the rest: the unit still ran cool [it was not pretty, but there was no way I could deal with the loud fan that kept turning on/off even with the unit on standby]

for the MSRP, I hoped they would have addressed this in the VS
post #194 of 238 Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
when i worked at extron, we came up[ with a product once and a prototype had very noisy fan. almost whistling. a few changes to the hole pattern and it was much reduced.

I am always amazed at how many details can go into a succesful product.

Proud Daddy to
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...

post #195 of 238 Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

from my experience, most product testing is done in an air conditioned lab with the equipment covers removed: so fan noise is not a factor

make the designers do a burn in test of new gear, all covers in place, at the max ambient operating temperature for at least 48 hours: and make an acoustic noise measurement part of the test

too often fans are an after thought and are inefficient and noisy
post #196 of 238 Old 08-21-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:

VS-100 fan noise?

any comments welcome

I have a VS, and I think the fan noise is quite loud. It seems to be permanently on, even when the unit's in standby (the hard drive seems to be powered up in standby too).

For that reason, I often do a complete power down (by pressing the power button until the red light goes off) but that means you have to switch it on manually and wait a few minutes for it to boot up when you want to use it. I wonder if some units are worse than others for fan noise.

Also, the blue indicator light on the front is very bright, so I think the unit is better suited to mounting in a hidden-away rack rather than in your living room.
post #197 of 238 Old 08-21-2009, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
we had a room that stayed at 40 Celcius. and we would wire everything up and run scopes through them for 24 hours to start, then any critical products, we left ALWAYS connected. so when we found an issue with a power supply that had caps that would dry out after an excessive period of time in a warm environment... we knew about it before the dealers did.

Proud Daddy to
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...

post #198 of 238 Old 08-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Funny you should mention the blue indicator is so bright. I have the opposite problem, I can barely see the blue light, but the red light seems like an aiport landing beacon. I put some black tape over it to cut the brightness, but now I can't see the blue light at all.
post #199 of 238 Old 08-29-2009, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

All vision models are no longer available... Presuming new hw for cedia...

post #200 of 238 Old 08-30-2009, 03:25 PM

This is really bizzarre - I can't see why they would need to introduce new hardware when the Vision has only been available for a year. Extra features can be added by firmware upgrades, and presumably they would have designed the hardware with all future functionality in mind.

It's possible that they have had a change of heart about ripped DVDs following the Kaleidescape case, but given that the Vision can work with changers (and will have to for Blu-rays) and can use the hard drives for ripped music, that wouldn't be a reason to discontinue the VS models.

Maybe they've redesigned it to make it more cheaply...
post #201 of 238 Old 08-30-2009, 03:38 PM

post #202 of 238 Old 08-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder if they are still planning on supporting the Sony BluRay players
post #203 of 238 Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

my thoughts are that there will be no new hardware or firmware: I hope I am wrong ....
post #204 of 238 Old 08-31-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I received a small note from someone inside Escient yesterday, but I'm awaiting his/her ok to post the gist of it, even anonymously...

post #205 of 238 Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Here is what I received from Escient

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 11:55 AM
To: Rick Tywoniak (rtywonia); Esc Tech Support
Subject: RE: Support of Vision Line

Rick,

That’s correct, the Escient Vision product line including VS-100, VS-200, VC-1, and VX-600 is no longer shipping and has been discontinued. However, our goal remains to provide excellent service to our dealers and end users and as such, we will still honor warranty for existing Vision product including service, support, and future software updates. Existing Vision product owners can also still expect a significant software update planned for Q4 2009. Further software updates also still include adding support for Sony’s BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray changer.

The decision to discontinue Vision is mainly the result of factors such as technical challenges, declining sales, and shifting market trends since Vision product launch. Therefore, we have decided that a shift in strategy is warranted. This includes, but is not limited to, integration of new product capabilities and support for high definition content. In the mean time we will continue to re-evaluate our product strategy and customer trends but we will not be making any new product announcements at CEDIA 2009. We will definitely share our product plans as soon as we are able to.

Nothing official but I believe high definition support for upcoming product to be mainly focused around the Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changer – so don’t rule it out.

Regards,

Cory Poore
Escient Technical Support
cory.poore@escient.com
(800) 372-4368 Ext. 3

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 3:09 AM
To: Esc Tech Support
Subject: Support of Vision Line
Importance: Low

I noticed you just discontinued your vision line. Do you still have plans to support Sony BluRay players. I own a vision and was hoping to hook it up to Sony’s BluRay changer.

Regards,

Richard Tywoniak
post #206 of 238 Old 08-31-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Rick,

That's correct, the Escient Vision product line including VS-100, VS-200, VC-1, and VX-600 is no longer shipping and has been discontinued. However, our goal remains to provide excellent service to our dealers and end users and as such, we will still honor warranty for existing Vision product including service, support, and future software updates. Existing Vision product owners can also still expect a significant software update planned for Q4 2009. Further software updates also still include adding support for Sony's BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray changer.

The decision to discontinue Vision is mainly the result of factors such as technical challenges, declining sales, and shifting market trends since Vision product launch. Therefore, we have decided that a shift in strategy is warranted. This includes, but is not limited to, integration of new product capabilities and support for high definition content. In the mean time we will continue to re-evaluate our product strategy and customer trends but we will not be making any new product announcements at CEDIA 2009. We will definitely share our product plans as soon as we are able to.

Nothing official but I believe high definition support for upcoming product to be mainly focused around the Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changer - so don't rule it out.

Regards,

Cory Poore
cory.poore@escient.com
(800) 372-4368 Ext. 3

I noticed you just discontinued your vision line. Do you still have plans to support Sony BluRay players. I own a vision and was hoping to hook it up to Sony's BluRay changer.

Regards,

Richard Tywoniak

Aside from the initial greeting, I received the same, word for word, response from Escient today.
post #207 of 238 Old 08-31-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rick,

That's correct, the Escient Vision product line including VS-100, VS-200, VC-1, and VX-600 is no longer shipping and has been discontinued. However, our goal remains to provide excellent service to our dealers and end users and as such, we will still honor warranty for existing Vision product including service, support, and future software updates. Existing Vision product owners can also still expect a significant software update planned for Q4 2009. Further software updates also still include adding support for Sony's BDP-CX7000ES 400-disc Blu-ray changer.

Nothing official but I believe high definition support for upcoming product to be mainly focused around the Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu-ray changer - so don't rule it out.

Regards,

Cory Poore
cory.poore@escient.com
(800) 372-4368 Ext. 3

I noticed you just discontinued your vision line. Do you still have plans to support Sony BluRay players. I own a vision and was hoping to hook it up to Sony's BluRay changer.

Regards,

Richard Tywoniak

Yes, this jibes with my conversations with Escient - Sony BDP changer support will happen. Ironically, I had suggested a "future" product that was a changer controller/gui only, no ripping, and the person you spoke with mentions a similar concept for a possible upcoming product...

I think as others have posted on the Sony changer thread, Escient, as part of D&M, is too large to walk away from its promises - and legally, unless Escient "goes under", they have to provide support/parts for I think five years in the US after EOL...(seven years in California IIRC)

post #208 of 238 Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a new article from CEPro, with more clarity from Escient's president...

http://www.cepro.com/article/executi...o_focus_on_hd/

post #209 of 238 Old 09-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Liked: 11
I purchased a VS-200 last week and should recieve it this week. I purchased it mainly for the Sony Mega Changer. There are some forums that mention that this device is very buggy. Has anyone on the forum who purchased a VS-100 or 200 noticed any problems?

Thank you for any info.
post #210 of 238 Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

I have the vision series and it is very buggy. I have to reboot it all the time from the sleep mode. Someone suggested that plugging it into a UPS solves that -- I have not tried. Also - the resolution resets from 1080 to 480 all the time on me. In 480 mode it looks like crap. Other than that it works fine with my changers.

I suspect they got out of this cause it had few sales and lots of bugs.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page