Escient Vision Line - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 238 Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I took a seminar on this line and it looks very promising.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post12908099
User Interface is HD, and very nice. Upscales to 1080p. Each model holds the same number of SD DVD's as the digit in it's model number. ie. VS-200 holds 200 DVD's, VX-600 holds 600 and can be stacked for higher capacity. It will support Blu Ray via the new Sony Blu Ray Changer when it's released. Their thinking is that it would take 6.5 TB to store 100 BR Discs in Raid 5 so the changer is the most practical solution for BD for now.
Dead aim at Kaleidescape for a whole lot of savings.
Of course it does music, photos, and Rhapsody too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 238 Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
And its now delayed til May.
post #3 of 238 Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What about vudu with its multi room option (not yet online, should be soon i hear)?
I know this isn't as appealing to people with a huge dvd catalog already but the hardware is much cheaper.

That being said, is escient yet officially saying they are fully compliant with all the copy protection laws? It seems like everyone but k* is very vague and leaves it up to the user to decide if they are breaking the law or not.
post #4 of 238 Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The sony BR changer is shipping, are you referring to another model?
post #5 of 238 Old 03-15-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick View Post

What about vudu with its multi room option (not yet online, should be soon i hear)?
I know this isn't as appealing to people with a huge dvd catalog already but the hardware is much cheaper.

That being said, is escient yet officially saying they are fully compliant with all the copy protection laws? It seems like everyone but k* is very vague and leaves it up to the user to decide if they are breaking the law or not.

According to Escient their disclosure question upon starting to Rip, that you own the rights to the DVD, has fully satisfied the content providers.
post #6 of 238 Old 03-16-2008, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

The sony BR changer is shipping, are you referring to another model?

If you're referring to the Sony HESV1000, I don't think that's the changer they're waiting for since it's a server unto itself. I believe they meant a straight BD changer like unto the SD DVD DVP-CX777 used with the Fireball series.
post #7 of 238 Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can you put a dvd in and will it copy the disk in to the system? i mean a movie- as in, Star Wars- the not home movie edition.
post #8 of 238 Old 03-16-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Can you put a dvd in and will it copy the disk in to the system? i mean a movie- as in, Star Wars- the not home movie edition.

It copies any SD DVD bit for bit.
post #9 of 238 Old 03-16-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

how does it get around the whole ripping a copywritten disk thing? does it use a microsoft mce front end?
post #10 of 238 Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Just so you know, the reason I am asking is that K supports and actively encrouages dvd copying, but these MCE systems don't- they talk about playing your video all over the house, but they leave it up to the consumer to break the copy protection, unless this thing has evolved.
post #11 of 238 Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Just so you know, the reason I am asking is that K supports and actively encourages DVD copying, but these MCE systems don't- they talk about playing your video all over the house, but they leave it up to the consumer to break the copy protection, unless this thing has evolved.

When you insert a disc for ripping the Vision system asks you to answer in the affirmative that you own the rights to said disc. This must be answered yes to proceed, much like PC software licenses. That, according ro Escient has satisfied the content providers.
post #12 of 238 Old 03-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I contacted Sony tech support and asked them if they where developing a multi blueray changer similiar to the 777es he said it is now being experimented with. I would love to see a 200-400 blueray dvd changer that could be hooked up and controled by my Escient dvdm-100 unit. I have a RF-Link video sender that sends analogue video and audio to other tv's in my home via the Escient. The picture is excellent.
post #13 of 238 Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post

I contacted Sony tech support and asked them if they where developing a multi blueray changer similiar to the 777es he said it is now being experimented with. I would love to see a 200-400 blueray dvd changer that could be hooked up and controled by my Escient dvdm-100 unit. I have a RF-Link video sender that sends analogue video and audio to other tv's in my home via the Escient. The picture is excellent.

I would love to see this also. The onscreen menu from the 777 was used very well by escient and control4 for the last few years IMO as a cheap solution for clients that want a decent interface.
post #14 of 238 Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM

Escient also offers a 4 hdd storage, which takes 1u of space. I have a similar device from Linksys, with four hard drives. Would it be a way to use Escient's video server to organise all my stored films too?
I doubt it, but I had to ask!
post #15 of 238 Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm very interested in a server that can store my concert DVD's and my CD's.
It's also a big plus that you can add a Sony Bluray changer for future DVD's concert or otherwise. This unit sounds like the perfect solution for my setup.It seems like servers are the next audiophile DVD and CD solution. Kaleidescape must be on their heels.

Rick
post #16 of 238 Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i have always liked the escient line of products for their storage and ease of use. i've been looking to store all my dvd's in some kind of media storage device, but in some way all fall short. after doing much research on setting up an htpc with about 4 tb or space, the question still came up as to its reliability as well as its pq. the escient uses the sony 400 disk player, but i would say that that player is far from a great machine. i guess one could ultimately buy a scaler or a pre/pro with a built in scaler, but its too cumbersone i think. anyone else share my thoughts? if the sony would output 480i through hdmi, then i guess i would spend the money on a scaler. anyone have any other ideas on this matter?

post #17 of 238 Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

i have always liked the escient line of products for their storage and ease of use. i've been looking to store all my dvd's in some kind of media storage device, but in some way all fall short. after doing much research on setting up an htpc with about 4 tb or space, the question still came up as to its reliability as well as its pq. the escient uses the sony 400 disk player, but i would say that that player is far from a great machine. i guess one could ultimately buy a scaler or a pre/pro with a built in scaler, but its too cumbersone i think. anyone else share my thoughts? if the sony would output 480i through hdmi, then i guess i would spend the money on a scaler. anyone have any other ideas on this matter?

Escient has a converter that transcodes Component Video & Coax Digital Audio to HDMI. This should output the native rate of the 777 @ 480i + DD or DTS. The Vision then can scale up to 1080p or you can use an external HDMI Scaler to to do the job. The new Sony BD changer will output HDMI obviously. Escient seems pretty confident that Sony has this unit in the works.
The VS models can accept as many as 4 external changers, either the new BD or 777's in any combination. The VC can only accept 1.
post #18 of 238 Old 03-19-2008, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

okay, and if one wanted to use the 4tb storage option and omit the sony changer completely, this would work? what i mean is that once you insert your sd dvd (and blu-ray??) disk into the carousel, it will copy it to the hdd and so you don't even need the changer, correct?

oh, and if that is the case, i guess one would lose HD audio decoding as well. perhaps the sony will decode these formats in their player?

post #19 of 238 Old 03-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 574
does anyone know MSRP of the new Escient models?

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #20 of 238 Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

does anyone know MSRP of the new Escient models?

From their site
"Escient’s Vision Series products are scheduled for shipment in February 2008 at the following suggested retail prices: VS-100 (SRP: $3,999), VS-200 (SRP: $5,999), VC-1 (SRP: $1,999), VX-600 (SRP: $7,999)."

http://www.escient.com/vision/index.html
The links on the left give some nice overview of the products.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #21 of 238 Old 03-19-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

okay, and if one wanted to use the 4tb storage option and omit the sony changer completely, this would work? what i mean is that once you insert your sd dvd (and blu-ray??) disk into the carousel, it will copy it to the hdd and so you don't even need the changer, correct?

oh, and if that is the case, i guess one would lose HD audio decoding as well. perhaps the sony will decode these formats in their player?

This is all true except for BD. You will need the new Sony BD changer when it comes out. It is planned to interface with the Vision. Escient doesn't think it is effective to store 40GB BD's on the HD. See my prior post on that issue.
post #22 of 238 Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

I would like to see a sony dvd multi blueray changer that can be used with the vision series and my escient dvdm-100 via the r-232 control cable. Of course the dvdm-100
would have to be able to to get the HD cover art and movie information that I now get for my standard dvds.
post #23 of 238 Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post

I would like to see a sony dvd multi blueray changer that can be used with the vision series and my escient dvdm-100 via the r-232 control cable. Of course the dvdm-100
would have to be able to to get the HD cover art and movie information that I now get for my standard dvds.

As I understand it, BD will only work with the Vision products. They are the only ones which have HDMI inputs. Escient plans on this capability for the Vision line as soon as the Sony BD Changer is available using RS-232 or USB whichever Sony uses for Data communication.
post #24 of 238 Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

If the Sony Blueray changer has a 232 connector cable and a component input and output (along with HDMI) would I be able to run it through the component cables through the dvdm-100 and get HD at 1080i. If I was able to get the cover art and information that would be great. I currently have a 720p projector and my HD is off my Sony Playstation 3 and Toshiba HD dvd player using component. I realize HDMI is better but component cables providing a full 720p or 1080i HD source still wows the crowd. Thanks Greg
post #25 of 238 Old 03-20-2008, 10:32 AM

With the Sony CX777ES SD changer a SDI output mod would be a great option given the unit is component only no HDMI. There are a couple companies including MSB that offer the mod. The new Sony BD player may be 200 or 400 disc, we don't know, but either way if you end up with a SD changer with SDI and a BD changer with HDMI you would be able to store up to 800 discs with an all digital output. This setup would work with the VS because it can take up to 4 changers.
post #26 of 238 Old 03-20-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

hey thats a great idea. but does the vision or older escient products have an sdi input to allow for this? if not, one would have to buy an external scaler i assume?

post #27 of 238 Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

My 720p projector has an HDMI input which would work with a blueray multichanger. But I would like to get the cover art and infor downloaded from component off the dvdm-100 through the Blueray 232 port. Would that work?
post #28 of 238 Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:

hey thats a great idea. but does the vision or older escient products have an sdi input to allow for this? if not, one would have to buy an external scaler i assume?

Yes, you would have to get a scaler. But there are DVDO's available new and used at a reasonable price that would work. If the unit didn't have SDI you could order the card. It's really easy to install yourself.
post #29 of 238 Old 03-26-2008, 01:15 PM

Now don't get me wrong. I love Escient products.

I waited on the fence for many moons hoping for another reliable alternative to K., and I really want to offer it as my server of choice to my clients.

Hell I had even been playing around with MCE's for my own personal use just to learn what the "masses" are up to, but I would never sell one of these to a paying customer since something will invariably go wrong. They are really nothing more than glorified PC's running Windows afterall.

If there is one thing I can say about Escient's products its that they at least have a very long and reliable track record.

However, there is one thing I am a little sour about. (Well maybe VERY sour about)

I knew I had seen the VX600 4 TB server somewhere before but couldn't quite place it, so I showed the pdf spec sheet and pics to a friend in IT.

Almost immediately he said oh, thats just a XXXXX from XXXXXXX, and then the light bulb went off again and I said "Yeah....thats it!" When I told him Escients MSRP on this unit is $ 8,000 plus, he literally looked at me like I was a thief and said, "Are you ******* kidding me, Phil?"

This exact same unit configured with 4 TB would sell AT RETAIL for about $ 1,850.

This is what pissses many savvy customers off. There is a wealth of information out there simply found by Googling. They are not idiots. And when you get called out so to speak, they will subconsciously form the opinion that they are being gouged. Then they will feel that if the pricing on your product X is out to lunch, then maybe your entire quote is out of whack.

Honestly, regardless of whether you are wealthy or not, does anyone here think its reasonable to charge $ 8,000 for an essentially off the shelf NAS that at the normal full retail is 1/4 of Escient's price??

PS: Please dont ask me the company and model number of the unit I am referring to is. I really didnt want to open up a can of worms on this, but this has been kind of annoying me. You can probably easily come up with the answer just by carefully studying Escients specs and simple searches.

HINT: Other than an Escient logo being swapped for the real one, use the cosmetics of the case as your starting point.

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
post #30 of 238 Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaPhil View Post

I really didnt want to open up a can of worms on this, but ithis has been kind of annoying me.

Of course you wanted to "open up a can of worms" or you wouldn't have posted.

Now do the right thing and tell us who makes the unit?
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page