JL Fathom for my new Exige - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 66 Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've decided to keep the Alpine speakers that came in the car. They are a tremendous improvement over the speakers I had in the Lotus Elise (the new ones are custom made for the Exige by Alpine). They really don't need to be replaced.

I'm still replacing the head unit with the JVC KD-NX5000, so I will have a back up camera screen (I'll be using a Boyo license plate camera), navigation, iPod, Bluetooth, and possibly Sirius Satellite (though likely not, since I would have to place an antenna on the dash), among other built in features such as preamplifier outputs, which will be needed to send the audio signals to the Alpine PDX-5 amplifier, PEQ, EQ, etc...

I also plan on adding that JL Audio Stealthbox (sub) in the footwell of the passenger side.

I was on Griot's Garage for the last hour and a half putting together a $1000+ cart of car detailing supplies (including an orbital to machine clay, polish and wax the vehicle). I never detailed the Elise, and some of my friends were always hassling me about it. The car was always dirty...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 05-07-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Whats powering the Alpine speakers right now?
post #63 of 66 Old 05-07-2008, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post

Whats powering the Alpine speakers right now?

An Alpine head unit.
post #64 of 66 Old 05-08-2008, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueueCumber View Post

An Alpine head unit.

A standard Alpine head unit puts out around 10 to 20 watts RMS and I bet Alpine designed the speakers with that in mind so adding an amp putting out 75 watts a channel may cause problems.
post #65 of 66 Old 05-08-2008, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! View Post

A standard Alpine head unit puts out around 10 to 20 watts RMS and I bet Alpine designed the speakers with that in mind so adding an amp putting out 75 watts a channel may cause problems.

~18 RMS. What kind of problems do you think it would cause? The only situation I could see a problem in, is if I turned it up too loud for the speakers peak power handling capabilities. That just isn't going to happen at the volume levels I use...
post #66 of 66 Old 04-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bringing this thread back from the dead just to add that if you own an Exige (or Elise) and have never taken it to the track you deserve nothing less than life in prison. wink.gif

So by miracle is the OP still here? I can't imagine any sound system sounding good in this car... however on the flip side... ANYTHING would sound better than what came with the car. How did it work out?

I prefer to leave the radio off, and listen to the exhaust and supercharger. biggrin.gif

My Track Spin compilation video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page