Mcintosh Systems out there??? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 06-17-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I run 5 x 501 monoblocks with a Revel Ultima Salon 2 system, extremely happy with them.

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 06-17-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

I run 5 x 501 monoblocks with a Revel Ultima Salon 2 system, extremely happy with them.

501's for the surrounds !
Feel you are getting fuller surround effect with those 501's driving the rears ?

Terry

anxiously awaiting my overbudget setup
post #33 of 47 Old 06-17-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

How would you describe the sound with the Revel Salon2 and the MC501s. Nice that you have the identical amps on all channels. How about speakers? What are you using for surrounds? Salon2s?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #34 of 47 Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerc View Post

I love my McIntosh products: MC501x3, MC252, MX119, MA6900.

The MC501 is very special and sounds great. I think it is the sweet spot in the McIntosh line.

Agreed. It's a blessing and a curse. Once I got the MC501s that's all I wanted. Wish I too had room for them on every channel. The best part is my wife just loves the amps. It's the only electronics that she has ever liked. She likes the sound but I am sure it's mostly the aesthetics. She in fact insisted that I get them over some other amps that I was considering. During our hurricane Katrina evacuation, I spend my time bumming in audio shops. She was along for one trip and saw and heard the amps with B&W N802D speakers vs Classe monoblocks/N802D in a shoot out a dealer set-up for me. She's been a Mcintosh fan ever since.

post #35 of 47 Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Wow, some really nice Mac systems being discussed. Good work guys! I particularly like that Esoteric, K2, Big Mac setup.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #36 of 47 Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMPADDY View Post

JBL 9800 + MC2KW + Esoteric CD = Wucking Fonderful!

WOW WOW WOW Mac & Big Bad Ass JBL's... that is fantastic! What is your general impression of the 9800's? Are the compression drivers satisfying over a long period of time? I have been saving some cash for a pair of the Array 1400's after hearing them at a local dealer.

If you can share any other impressions on your set up that would be great ... there are not alot of people with this type of gear.
post #37 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked: 9685
Seems this thread hasn't seen any action in awhile. Time to kick it up a notch.

I'm thinking of replacing my 2 Krell amps (KAV-1500 & FPB-300) with 2 Mac amps (MC402 & MC205).

I have a 7.1 Martin Logan speaker setup. The 402 will power the mains and the 205 will power the center, sides & rears. From what I've heard, the Logans & Macs match up quite well. There's not too many AVS threads on McIntosh.

post #38 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Seems this thread hasn't seen any action in awhile. Time to kick it up a notch.

I'm thinking of replacing my 2 Krell amps (KAV-1500 & FPB-300) with 2 Mac amps (MC402 & MC205).

I have a 7.1 Martin Logan speaker setup. The 402 will power the mains and the 205 will power the center, sides & rears. From what I've heard, the Logans & Macs match up quite well. There's not too many AVS threads on McIntosh.

If you can step up, to the MC501s. I had the MC402. It's an excellent amp but the MC501 is a significant step-up. It's not often that there is a real difference with just a one level move but here it is. Funny though, I have heard the Martin Logan Summits with the MC402 several times and though I have the MC501s, they made me question how the 501s could do any better. If I had not actually owned both amps, I not sure I would feel the need to recommend the MC501s over the MC402 with the Logans.

post #39 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would love to get a pair of the 501s!! Unfortunately, they're not in the budget. In this soft market, my Krells aren't worth as much as I had hoped. Plus I still have to get the 205 for my other channels. So the 402 will get the call from the bullpen.

But oh, those 501s...

post #40 of 47 Old 10-25-2008, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Bulldogger have you ever owned or heard a Aerial & Mcintosh combo. I just bought some used Aerial LR5 along with a new CC5 and was thinking about going with three MC 501's. I'm running a pair of Citadel 1.5's on the LR5's right now and a Dreadnaught II on the center and four surrounds. I'm sure there is alot of guys who would say that is a step backwards and maybe there right I don't know.
post #41 of 47 Old 10-25-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Check out this video review of the MDA1000 dac. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__MAuavKBj4

post #42 of 47 Old 10-25-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post

Bulldogger have you ever owned or heard a Aerial & Mcintosh combo. I just bought some used Aerial LR5 along with a new CC5 and was thinking about going with three MC 501's. I'm running a pair of Citadel 1.5's on the LR5's right now and a Dreadnaught II on the center and four surrounds. I'm sure there is alot of guys who would say that is a step backwards and maybe there right I don't know.

No, I have never heard an Aerial & Mcintosh set-up. Having a bit of hands on experience with Theta amps, I would not expect the Mcintosh to sound better. Mcintosh is different. My bet is that the Theta stuff resolves more and is more detailed. I treat my audio system as I do my investments meaning I diversify. I have had a lot of money invested in one brand and then have that brand go out of business. Since that experience, I chose different brands. Mcintosh is like my "blue chip" it may not be as exciting as a tech stock but it is a stability item that offers great performance. Alberto does a great job in his video of describing the Mcintosh appeal. As analytical as I am, with Mcintosh I forget many times that I am auditioning hifi gear and get lost in the music.

post #43 of 47 Old 10-25-2008, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I would love to get a pair of the 501s!! Unfortunately, they're not in the budget. In this soft market, my Krells aren't worth as much as I had hoped. Plus I still have to get the 205 for my other channels. So the 402 will get the call from the bullpen.

But oh, those 501s...

Well Mcintosh has been having these "trade up" programs where you get 75% of the value of what your Mcintosh gear sold for when it was new. It seems to be working well and they have continued it. What is likely is that with the Martin Logan/MC402 combo is that you will be content and not want to upgrade. If you do, then the trade-up program may be something in which you can participate. http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/inside/news-events.asp This is the second trade-up program that Mcintosh has offered.

post #44 of 47 Old 10-25-2008, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Well Mcintosh has been having these "trade up" programs where you get 75% of the value of what your Mcintosh gear sold for when it was new. It seems to be working well and they have continued it. What is likely is that with the Martin Logan/MC402 combo is that you will be content and not want to upgrade. If you do, then the trade-up program may be something in which you can participate. http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/inside/news-events.asp This is the second trade-up program that Mcintosh has offered.

That's an incredible deal McIntosh offers. As of now, I don't own any Macs. Just 2 Krell amps, Which I tore down and boxed up last night. A PITA process to say the least. So for now, I'm stuck using the tv speakers.

I have the Prodigies and I can't wait to get the MC402 paired up with them.

And like you said, I may be so content with that combo I forget about any other amps out there. However, I do have a slight case of the upgraditis. Just knowing the 501s are lurking around the corner...

post #45 of 47 Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 AM

Love to get some input from guys running Ultima 2 systems with McIntosh. Looking to run the MC601 across the front LRC and MC452 X2 for a 7.2 system.
post #46 of 47 Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Got MX150 Processor, 2 x MC601 for front B&W 802D2, and MC205 for center and surrounds. Love this configuration and have demoed Classe and Bryston before deciding on Mac.

I intend to add another MC601 for center duty once I can find one used (hardly go used!).

See Profile
post #47 of 47 Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
WOW, amazing looking system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page