Outdoor speakers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 160 Old 05-15-2008, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can any regulars on this forum point me in the direction of the best environmental speaker manufacturers.

Im only interested in SQ rather than units disguised as rocks or dog turds.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 Old 05-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I have had good luck with Speakercraft OE8 Three

http://www.speakercraft.com/#Products:116:OE8%20Three

I tried the rock speakers and returned em

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #3 of 160 Old 05-15-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks a lot. Those look like the sort of thing Im after.

post #4 of 160 Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Depending on how loud or how far you want to go, EV and Community and many other pro companies make very large and loud outdoor capable speakers.

Servodrive I believe made the outdoor subs for the Mirage hotel.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #5 of 160 Old 05-16-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
I don't know if the NEARs are still as good as they were now that Bogen has purchased them but those were really pretty amazing speakers. Some of them are quite exotic. http://www.bogen.com/support/neartechnology/

John
post #6 of 160 Old 05-17-2008, 12:52 AM

Coldmachine,

we usually use Tannoy Di5DC in our projects. They come with Tannoy's excellent dual concentric drive.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...F+Di5+DCt&s=51

Their big brother the Di8DC should be one of the be one of the best waterproof speakers available with its 8" dual concentric drive. I have a pair here but I never got the chance to listen to them. Please note these are quite big (15.92 x 10.24 x 10.25) but there are always ways to hide them in outdoors areas.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...F+Di8+DCt&s=51
post #7 of 160 Old 05-17-2008, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks very much guys, appreciate the help. I will look into every one of those.

A friend, whos seriously into 2 channel, told me yesterday that he had tried just about every one available and unbelievably, despite their other products, the Bose 251 was the one her preferred.

I'll need to be convinced, but Im not so stupid as to rule out anything.

post #8 of 160 Old 05-17-2008, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charris View Post

Coldmachine,

we usually use Tannoy Di5DC in our projects. They come with Tannoy's excellent dual concentric drive.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...F+Di5+DCt&s=51

Their big brother the Di8DC should be one of the be one of the best waterproof speakers available with its 8" dual concentric drive. I have a pair here but I never got the chance to listen to them. Please note these are quite big (15.92 x 10.24 x 10.25) but there are always ways to hide them in outdoors areas.

http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/s.php...F+Di8+DCt&s=51

Those Di5DC look good. I can get a local dealer to get me a pair to try. The size isn't an issue. 8" is good and thier power rating is high too. Thanks

post #9 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The near armadillos continue to be my preferred choice for around the pool 5 channel sound.
post #10 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

The near armadillos continue to be my preferred choice for around the pool 5 channel sound.

Thanks Peter. Thas a cpuple of people mention them. The A8s look good.

post #11 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, the A8s do look good and I'm in the market for a pair. They're a bit cheaper than the Paradigms, Speakercraft and Tannoys. Likely won't be able to hear them, you're comfortable that they stack up well against these? My use is for just two speakers against the back wall of a large deck.

thanks
post #12 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post

Yes, the A8s do look good and I'm in the market for a pair. They're a bit cheaper than the Paradigms, Speakercraft and Tannoys. Likely won't be able to hear them, you're comfortable that they stack up well against these? My use is for just two speakers against the back wall of a large deck.

thanks

Check this out. 40 outdoor units.

http://www.electronichouse.com/slide...ducts/1451/328

Hope this helps.

post #13 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
take a look at Meyer or also Atlas Sound. great outdoor stuff.

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #14 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I'll look into those.

I think those Speakercraft OE8s will be hard to beat. They can handle 150w and go down to 40hz. I know I can have a listenig test of those, Polk, Klipsch, NEAR,Tannoy and Bose easily enough.

post #15 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Can any regulars on this forum point me in the direction of the best environmental speaker manufacturers.

Im only interested in SQ rather than units disguised as rocks or dog turds.

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking for high-SPLs, as with your indoor HT, or more background music sorts of levels? Roughly what listening distances?
post #16 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, I'll look into those.

I think those Speakercraft OE8s will be hard to beat. They can handle 150w and go down to 40hz. I know I can have a listenig test of those, Polk, Klipsch, NEAR,Tannoy and Bose easily enough.

Those are voiced for near fieldie type sweet and rounded bu muffled at a distance, I have heard/sold enough of them, the Armadillo 8's are voiced better for far field. I urge you to move the dillos to the top of the list.
post #17 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Those are voiced for near fieldie type sweet and rounded bu muffled at a distance, I have heard/sold enough of them, the Armadillo 8's are voiced better for far field. I urge you to move the dillos to the top of the list.

I can test those listed by the weekend. A number of people,including my dealer, have made the same suggestion you have. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks

post #18 of 160 Old 05-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can test those listed by the weekend. A number of people,including my dealer, have made the same suggestion you have. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks

I'm definitely interested to hear your impressions, thanks.
post #19 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a little off-topic, but are there places in your new house where you might be needing in-ceiling speakers? If so, give a listen to Noble Fidelity L-85's. I have a dedicated listening room and will have a dedicated theater soon, but I still like to try to get best possible sound in all locations, even for background and incidental music -- Dining room, Billiard room, kitchen, etc. I listened to a whole bunch of in-ceiling speakers and picked the Noble Fidelity L-85's. I am really happy with them. The Noble Fidelity L-85's sound way better than all of the other in-ceiling speakers I have heard. They have responsive, yet tight and musical bass for an in-ceiling, detailed, yet natural and open, never edgy. This helps them integrate into all different types of rooms, some with horrible acoustics, yet the L-85's still manage to sound amazingly good. If you are looking for in-ceiling speakers that sound really good, as unbelievable as that sounds, put them on your list of speakers to check out.
post #20 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Niles OS7.5s in this thread so far. When we built a new rooftop deck off our 2nd story loft last year I did beaucoup research on this subject. The end result was a trio of the OS 7.5s driven in Trifield as a second zone by a Meridian 541 pre-pro, a 557 (200w/ch) and a 505 (160w/mono) off of our living room Meridian surround system. It sounds killer, goes way loud when required, and doesn't require a sub to offer decent outdoor bass. Highly recommended!

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Live fast. Ride hard... and have a good looking bike.
post #21 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Correct me if I'm wrong Vince, but the Niles are just Chinese made no name speakers with the Niles name on them.

Click on the below link, then 'products', then 'professional', then the 'BSI' series of speakers:

http://www.audiotrak.com/main.htm

Sold here at about $75 a speaker, less obviously for dealer cost. Take away the Audiotrak logo, put on the Niles... I think you have the same speaker..

post #22 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbeck View Post

This is a little off-topic, but are there places in your new house where you might be needing in-ceiling speakers? If so, give a listen to Noble Fidelity L-85's. I have a dedicated listening room and will have a dedicated theater soon, but I still like to try to get best possible sound in all locations, even for background and incidental music -- Dining room, Billiard room, kitchen, etc. I listened to a whole bunch of in-ceiling speakers and picked the Noble Fidelity L-85's. I am really happy with them. The Noble Fidelity L-85's sound way better than all of the other in-ceiling speakers I have heard. They have responsive, yet tight and musical bass for an in-ceiling, detailed, yet natural and open, never edgy. This helps them integrate into all different types of rooms, some with horrible acoustics, yet the L-85's still manage to sound amazingly good. If you are looking for in-ceiling speakers that sound really good, as unbelievable as that sounds, put them on your list of speakers to check out.

There are quite a large number of in-ceilings going in and they are currently spec'd as Dynaudio IC 17s.

post #23 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Unless I had 20' ceilings, I would NEVER put a speaker in-ceiling, regardless of whether it was wide dispersion. you will always get a hotspot directly under the speaker.

Inwall is what I use throughout the house. Much better coverage, maybe the Mrs. wouldn't like the look as much (which could explain why I'm single!), but NEVER an in-ceiling speaker at my place.

post #24 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

Unless I had 20' ceilings, I would NEVER put a speaker in-ceiling, regardless of whether it was wide dispersion. you will always get a hotspot directly under the speaker.

The ceilings are mostly 14ft with some at 16ft and a great room at 38ft, so hot spotting isn't a critical issue. I've tried them in the relevant rooms with good results.

In ceilings work fine for me as they're only for fairly low/mid volume ambient music.

post #25 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

There are times when an in-wall speaker would look like absolute crap. To me, after designing in a dedicated listening room and theater, mucking up the architecture of rest of the house with in-walls would have been a terrible idea. So, the question is not necessarily would you use an in-ceiling speaker. The question is -- if you need to use one, which ones sound good. The good news is that there are some that do sound good. That was something I needed to know -- I'm betting there are others who could also use that info.

If you don't have a dedicated listening room and/or theater and you need great sound, need to combine, say, a living room and listening room, that's a different issue. But, if it were me, I still would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into a pair of in-walls for my best listening space. I'd still want full range floor standers. However -- yes -- stuck in THAT situation -- absolutely cannot have speakers on the floor -- you'd want in-walls rather than in-ceiling, but that would be a really crappy situation. I'm assuming there are few guys in the 20k and over section suffering that circumstance. Certainly, I can't see why a single guy would be in that situation.
post #26 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

CM -- here's another tip -- stop me if I go too far. If you have an acoustic consultant helping you with the listening room and theater, get them into the design very early! And, don't just limit his help to the listening room and theater -- let him help you with acoustical problems in other areas as well. Here's one; ever notice when you go to someone's house for a formal dinner, everyone sits around the dining room table, conversation starts up and pretty soon you feel like your head is going to explode? That's because most dining room have horrible acoustics. My guy suggested doing a false ceiling, which is made from stretched fabric. He spec'd acoustic foam above the fabric. Now, when our dining room is full of talking people, the sound has someplace to go, to be absorbed. You can still easily hear the person next to you and the room never gets that compressed feeling where you want to get up and run screaming from the room. There are lots of other problems they can solve, too. Walk him/her around your house and talk about noise you don't want to hear, potential problems, etc.
post #27 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

One more thing -- we put in-ceiling speakers in the ceiling behind the stretched fabric and you cannot see them -- much better look.
post #28 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbeck View Post

CM -- here's another tip -- stop me if I go too far. If you have an acoustic consultant helping you with the listening room and theater, get them into the design very early! And, don't just limit his help to the listening room and theater -- let him help you with acoustical problems in other areas as well. Here's one; ever notice when you go to someone's house for a formal dinner, everyone sits around the dining room table, conversation starts up and pretty soon you feel like your head is going to explode? That's because most dining room have horrible acoustics. My guy suggested doing a false ceiling, which is made from stretched fabric. He spec'd acoustic foam above the fabric. Now, when our dining room is full of talking people, the sound has someplace to go, to be absorbed. You can still easily hear the person next to you and the room never gets that compressed feeling where you want to get up and run screaming from the room. There are lots of other problems they can solve, too. Walk him/her around your house and talk about noise you don't want to hear, potential problems, etc.

Not too far at all.

I've had an architect and an acoustic engineer working on the house for the last week. Theyve been involved for the last 2 months and will be involved till completion.

The main HT will have much of the treatment done at the architectural and construction level. All the spaces have been modeled already. Spot treatments with absorbers, diffusers and bass traps will be used as needed.

There will be some treatments in other rooms too. With the more minor, non construction, treatments, I've found Auralex to be the best way to go in terms of effectiveness but also flexibility and finish.

post #29 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong Vince, but the Niles are just Chinese made no name speakers with the Niles name on them.

Click on the below link, then 'products', then 'professional', then the 'BSI' series of speakers:

http://www.audiotrak.com/main.htm

Sold here at about $75 a speaker, less obviously for dealer cost. Take away the Audiotrak logo, put on the Niles... I think you have the same speaker..

Ok Curt,

I'm correcting you 'cuz your wrong! The drivers used in the Niles speakers, both mid-bass and tweeters are different, made of different materials with differing nominal sizes, and the Niles speakers use a proprietary integrated baffle and basket that they've patented. The enclosures are of significantly differing dimensions and exact shape as are the grill treatments. About the only real similarity is the mounting bracket's basic shape and that both are offered in black and white! I've no idea who Niles actually has manufacturing their proprietary outdoor speaker design, but the BSI speaker's you've directed people reading this thread to, are no more similar to the Niles speakers I specifically recommended after buying and enjoying them, than any number of other surface mount outdoor speakers. Plastic enclosures and the same colour palette does not make the BSI speakers you linked to Niles OEMs or even knock-offs. Finally- As to your shot about "Chinese made...", Are any outdoor speakers from any manufacturer, higher-end or not, made anywhere but China today?

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Live fast. Ride hard... and have a good looking bike.
post #30 of 160 Old 05-23-2008, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dynaudio IC 17s.

Insert approval emoticon here.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List