Simaudio Titan, Balanced Audio Technology VK-6200, or Theta Dreadnaught II - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which amp is best for HT
Theta Dreadnaught II 0 0%
Balanced Audio Technology VK-6200 0 0%
Simaudio Titan 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Looking to do an Aerial HT system. LR5's and CC5 up front with 2 SW12's and 2 SR3's on the sides. Wondering if anyone has experience with these speakers and any of the 3 amps above. Any and all advice appreciated. System will be used 99% for HT.

Mankite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a VK-6200 and I absolutely love it. The dynamics and speed is awesome. It really makes movies come alive. It also throws a very deep and detailed soundstage that is incredible. I auditioned it against the original Dreadnaught and for me the BAT was it hands down.

Good luck!
post #3 of 10 Old 06-01-2008, 11:11 AM

I have only spent time with the titan and dreadnaught II. I have always wanted to spend some time with the BAT but it is a difficult amp to come across (as is the plinius odeon)

The Dreadnaught is a great amp. It's only weakness in my opinion was with fueling a full range speaker. With the revel salons and aerial 9's it seems to loose some depthwhen compared to the titan. I would consider the titan a solid state home theater super amp. This amp definitely brings out everything a good sound track has to offer (same goes for a bad sound track). the Titan will definitely bring out every bit of low end that speakers can offer (in the right setup of course). It is very dynamic and detailed. mids and highs just sound full and sweet

If you don't plan on making a purchase anytime soon, you might want to consider waiting for the titan replacement. It is based off the sim w-8 technology (in my opinion the finest solid state amp I have heard to this day, especially with salon2's, my current speakers) and last I heard it will be available 3rd quartergive or take, though this might have changed. If they can bring out the sound of a w-8 in a 5 channel amp, WOW! that would be something to own.

Although I can't speak for all three I am sure you can't go wrong with either of them. I know it's can be hard to demo these amps but if you get the chance, take advantage of it.

If you haven't purchased the aerials yet, I would have to recommend listening to the new revel ultima2's. I have owned, and am a fan of aerials and can easily recommend them to anyone, but for the same money, the new revels are superior in every aspect. If you want a significant improvement, this is where you will find it.

Good luck!
post #4 of 10 Old 06-01-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoubs View Post

I have only spent time with the titan and dreadnaught II. I have always wanted to spend some time with the BAT but it is a difficult amp to come across (as is the plinius odeon)

The Dreadnaught is a great amp. It's only weakness in my opinion was with fueling a full range speaker. With the revel salons and aerial 9's it seems to loose some depthwhen compared to the titan. I would consider the titan a solid state home theater super amp. This amp definitely brings out everything a good sound track has to offer (same goes for a bad sound track). the Titan will definitely bring out every bit of low end that speakers can offer (in the right setup of course). It is very dynamic and detailed. mids and highs just sound full and sweet

If you don't plan on making a purchase anytime soon, you might want to consider waiting for the titan replacement. It is based off the sim w-8 technology (in my opinion the finest solid state amp I have heard to this day, especially with salon2's, my current speakers) and last I heard it will be available 3rd quartergive or take, though this might have changed. If they can bring out the sound of a w-8 in a 5 channel amp, WOW! that would be something to own.

Although I can't speak for all three I am sure you can't go wrong with either of them. I know it's can be hard to demo these amps but if you get the chance, take advantage of it.

If you haven't purchased the aerials yet, I would have to recommend listening to the new revel ultima2's. I have owned, and am a fan of aerials and can easily recommend them to anyone, but for the same money, the new revels are superior in every aspect. If you want a significant improvement, this is where you will find it.

Good luck!

I agree with this post as I am a current owner of the Titan, in a 7 channel version. The way Zoub's describes the Titan is pretty much as I see it too. Sim is no longer making the 7 channel from what I understand which does not surprise me as this amp has a large depth factor associated with ownership. Another nice item about the Titan is it's not a cooker in a room where it adds tremendous heat. It definitely gets warm, but not hot when left on. Sim recommends leaving the amp on all the time. My one pet peeve with the Titan is there is not a power on/off switch in the front of the amp. My situation is everything is very tight with my equipment, so it would be an asset to have the power button on the front. A small price to pay though for what it does.

The new Sim amp that Zoubs mentions has a rumored street MSRP of 20K, so keep that in mind if you are interested in that new amp. However, it's supposed to combine the best of both worlds for HT and music. Time will tell on that of course. I've used the Titan with Dali and Dynaudio speakers. Also, I've never auditioned the Theta or the Bat pieces so my comments are strictly focused on the Sim product.

http://www.onhometheater.com/product/20021101.htm

You also may want to consider the Plinius Oden. I have read and heard nothing but great things about this piece. The only negative chatter I've experienced through the grapevine is servicing can be slow and their dealer network is somewhat limited. If you need a dealer on the East Coast, I can provide one if interested.

http://www.pliniusaudio.com/reviews/...deonreview.pdf

Much Luck,
Charles

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #5 of 10 Old 06-01-2008, 06:26 PM

Heres a review of the BAT from UltimateAVmag.

http://www.guidetohometheater.com/amplifiers/21/

I'd have to agree with just about everything the writer say's 100%.
IMO the dynamics of the BAT is what makes it such an awesome amp for home theater. It's also got other extremely strong points as well, like resolution and detail,as well as depth of soundstage, but it's the dynamics of the VK-6200 that puts it over the top when for me it comes to home theater.

BTW musically the BAT tends to be a little on the more analytical cool side vs being warm like say the original Dreadnaught.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 AM

I have a 7.1 Aerial and Theta setup with the equipment you are asking about. 3 aerial LR5's front and 4 SR3 rear and sides. I'am using a Theta Dreadnaught II to power the SR3 surround's and three Theta Enterprise mono blocks up front for the LR5's. The sound is simply the best I have heard. I'am amazed everytime I watch a movie or listen to music. You also may want to consider JL Audio subs instead of the aerials. I'am running JL Audio F113's in my set up they defenitely have and edge over the SW12's. I would suggest you contact Craig @ Theatermax he is Mr Aerial and Theta Digital's top dealer and one of the nicest people to deal with. I you are any where near New Jersey you are welcome to come and listen to my system for yourself.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-02-2008, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

A few years ago a noted reviewer claimed the following as compared to the THETA, BAT and PLINIUS...

Buy the Cary Cinema 5 and save the money.

BTW, PM me since I know were one is for sale.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #8 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 PM

C'mon, you can't be serious - the Cary Cinema 5 isn't anywhere in the league of these heavy hitters. Sure, it is a great amp for the money. Your speakers and room, and personal preferences dictate a lot too...for example, with small efficient speakers in a small room you may not need the brute force of a Dreadnought or Titan, which means having one in such a system will not give you all the benefits you've paid for. It's all relative - depends on how much of an improvement you're looking for.

I've heard some other news about Sim's new big theater amp - the MC-8. It's rumoured to weigh about two hundred pounds, and run only on 220v. Their own sales VP told me that 220v operation was the only way to overcome certain limitations including current requirements. Apparently, it can double its power down into 2 ohms, and be stable and put out much more still into 1 ohm (ouch!). Yeah, it's kinda supposed to be sort of like multiple W-8's in one chassis with a power supply far, far bigger than even the Titan's. It's not supposed to replace the Titan, only supplement it and take the Titan's place as their new top of the line, but they said they'll continue to build the Titan so long as there are persons to buy it.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-04-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just a note or two on the Titan. Happy to hear SimAudio has recognzed the power limitations of the Titan -- didn't take me but about twenty minutes to blow the fuse on it. I will say that it was sounding very fine before that happened, but was just getting into the realm of the truly exciting before gassing out. I upgraded to the Odeon from there and never looked back.

Unfortunately what SimAudio has in mind for their new theater piece is probably exactly what is required -- I say unfortunately because it will be ungodly expensive and monstrously heavy and not all that adaptable to American electrical standards and, if the Titan is any model, will no doubt be amazingly HUGE! It does however have a good shot at becoming the best HT amp out there -- something I will probably not be able to confirm in my lifetime though.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm just telling you what the magazine guys wrote, nothing more nothing less.

Now that was 4 years ago and we all know from being in this hobby what was the best 4 years ago is not longer the best today.

The amps "air", "transparency", "speed", "accuracy", "dynamics", "lack of bloom" (my bad that is a speaker thing) etc expectaions must change a great deal over time. What was the bomb then is not now. Our hearing must have improved in 4 years I suppose...

I still like to hear a 7.1/2 theater with say 7 QSC amps running mono. You could pull it off for less than $7K...

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page