If your serious about video processing you owe it to ck out Teranex. Pics added. - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 95 Old 06-07-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dokworm View Post

I know this is an ancient thread, but I have been wondering how the VC300 compares to the new BMD Teranex 2D. Is the processing on the new unit up to the standard of the old?
As the new units are $1995, it would be interesting to know if they perform as well as the older $50,000 models.

I have one and posted a review over on the video processors forum.

Bottom line: Yes the image quality is very good and follows the Teranex tradition.

BUT:

No HDCP support which leaves out BluRay, premium satellite and cable.

No remote capabilities (SDK promised but that will not be an average DIY thing)

No input switching, you would have to use an external box.

This is not intended for HT use. It's a professional format converter and does that job very well. There are too many negatives for average HT use and while the image quality is very good, I don't think that alone outweighs the advantages of a good HT processor such as a Lumagen or DVDO.

For my Ht it's great and I run HDSDI modified gear to get around the HDCP issues, but it's not what most people want feature wise in a consumer video processor.

P.S. It was the porting of that $50-80K box into a single chip that makes this $2000 version possible. It's also what put the former Teranex out of business. You need a huge market to recover the costs of a chip development like that. The consumer market for this high end scaler chip was too soft. Black Magic swooped in and bought the company at fire sale prices and since all the R&D into the chip was paid (rather defaulted) by the former company, it's actually very cheap to make the chip now.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 95 Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review Glimmie. Any chance of running a Star Wars laserdisc through it and capturing the upscaled image? I really want to know if it will make my LDs watchable on the big screen.
I'm also interested though if it does as good a job as the Teranex VC100 etc., I see some features missing there. I'd love to see a review by someone who owned an older Teranex box to see what is better/worse.

The HDCP is no issue really, there are plenty of simple boxes that strip the HDCP.

The 3D unit is finally in stock at B&H and other dealers now, it will be interesting to see how well the 2D->3D works.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #93 of 95 Old 06-28-2013, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are you feeding component or composite from you're laserdisc? There is no comb filtering in the BM Teranex design that I'm aware of (or gamma adjustment either if that's important).
post #94 of 95 Old 06-28-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastl View Post

Are you feeding component or composite from you're laserdisc? There is no comb filtering in the BM Teranex design that I'm aware of (or gamma adjustment either if that's important).

Well it has composite NTSC and PAL input so it has to have a decoder. And I would guess it's at least a 3 line comb as those are pretty standard in most decoder chips these days.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #95 of 95 Old 06-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Really! It looked like component only on the back panel. Can you dim the front panel?
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page