If your serious about video processing you owe it to ck out Teranex. Pics added. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Teranex, a name we do not see to much on this board. It is a commercial piece who's price clearly fits this forum. I was skeptical to purchase ( yes I bought one ) a Teranex as my requirements are in the HD domain only.Im talking the VC300 which performs and unheard of 15 TeraOps per second in real time.
A little history , Teranex was originally an up converter limited to SD but had the reputation of cleaning up source artifacts while bringing out detail bringing DVD closer to HD in visual quality. I had my concerns how the latest generation Teranex would perform with its new HD processing. Some may ask why purchase a high priced commercial VP when there is a selection of user friendly consumer VP loaded with features for a fraction of the cost? Well heres why!
Some of the tools on board allow you to clean up Edge Enhancement greatly reducing it to fully dialing it out. You can change the pixel aperture, sharpen it or softening it taking the edge off that hard digital look. There is a broadband filter that allows you to dial out high frequency video noise. The enhancement filter works independent in the horizontal and or vertical plain and does not add ringing like most consumer sharpness filters, it really brings out detail. You can add film grain to your image to emulate film, chose the size grain and its density.
There a large assortment of NR features that are the very best and can be used without noticeable loss in detail. Mosquito, remove film grain, remove scratches or lines, spacial, temporal NR. Full CMS ( chose DCI color ) with spot color correction. the list goes on and on.
In a sense some people pay big coin for an all silver or gold speaker cable when the average person cannot hear the difference I feel the additional processing power of the Teranex is something no one will miss the visual improvement this box delivers. It works in the HD/SD SDI domain only so you will need to purchase a blue ray player modified with an HD SDI output or purchase one of the many HDMI to HD/SD SDI converters. Once this thing it is setup I leave it alone. It is a pro piece so it is noisy so it does belong in an isolated booth. I forgot about Teranex over the years but Im glad I revisited its processing power and wanted to raise its awareness to those who want the very best in VP. I feel the difference is not marginal. Our source is the weak link in our video chain and the Teranex takes it up a notch. Its not perfect, like anything else it has its quirks but for me this is one purchases I could not easily give up. For those who want the best should consider looking into one & taking it for a test drive. Im betting you would consider its visual improvement to your system large enough to warrant its purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 08-21-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You are referring to the Video Computer series - 300/400/500 - right? And I absolutely agree with your argument, and I'm envious that you have one.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #3 of 95 Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Silicon Optix managed to bring Teranex back to the lead of the pack?
post #4 of 95 Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post

You are referring to the Video Computer series - 300/400/500 - right? And I absolutely agree with your argument, and I'm envious that you have one.

Hi Mike

You nailed it. They've done away with the other platforms, 6RU. Technology has advanced enough for them to fit everything into the VC300 or 3RU.
Each of the the 3 processing boards are 15 layers deep with each layer loaded with micro chip technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Silicon Optix managed to bring Teranex back to the lead of the pack?

A breath of fresh air. There are some good people with Teranex. Anyone remember Mike Poirier from Algolith, he is with Teranex now.
post #5 of 95 Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Alan, did you use the Teranex with the Sim2 C3X 1080? Or with what projector???
With how wide a screen, 16:9 or 2:35, and what gain????

Oh well. My monies spent already. I enjoy my C3X 1080 And Lumagen Radiance!!!@@@

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #6 of 95 Old 08-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
.... Silicon Optix managed to bring Teranex back to the lead of the pack?

They always were at the lead in the home market, contrary to what tends to be posted over in the video processor forum. I spent a great deal of time (over a year) researching the various brands and technologies and finally went for a Calibre PVPRO-HD. That's the Pro big-brother of the Vantage. Inside is a Realta with Calibre's latest firmware and newest hardware designs. Not as powerful as a VC300 or Xantus, but still comes reasonably close in many areas, since the Realta definitely -is- Teranex processing. The only scaler technology that will beat out the Teranex equipment is Snell & Wilcox PhC (Phase Correlation FFT controlled scaling).
post #7 of 95 Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Alan, did you use the Teranex with the Sim2 C3X 1080? Or with what projector???
With how wide a screen, 16:9 or 2:35, and what gain????

Oh well. My monies spent already. I enjoy my C3X 1080 And Lumagen Radiance!!!@@@

Hi Steve

I did not own the Teranex when I had the C3X but man I wish I had. What a combo that would make. Screen is 8 feet wide scope, high power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastl View Post

They always were at the lead in the home market, contrary to what tends to be posted over in the video processor forum. I spent a great deal of time (over a year) researching the various brands and technologies and finally went for a Calibre PVPRO-HD. That's the Pro big-brother of the Vantage. Inside is a Realta with Calibre's latest firmware and newest hardware designs. Not as powerful as a VC300 or Xantus, but still comes reasonably close in many areas, since the Realta definitely -is- Teranex processing. The only scaler technology that will beat out the Teranex equipment is Snell & Wilcox PhC (Phase Correlation FFT controlled scaling).

fasti

The pro vantage looks interesting.
From what I can find on the S&W PhC it is an HD standards converter limited to interlaced formats at 50/60hz. No info on features.
http://www.broadcastequipmentguide.c...x_07_30_08.php
post #8 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Alan

The PVPRO is not a Vantage, although it is based on that product. It uses a unique motherboard. Comes equipped standard with HD-SDI input and a genlock daughtercard. Pretty much bug-free .. pulled it out of the box and have been using it ever since. None of this flashing nonsense every other week to keep it running properly.

Snell and Wilcox make a variety or processors. Some are standards converters and some not. They probably cost -significantly- more than the VC300, so that is a consideration. This link goes to their processing page. Look under HDTV section at the Quasar and Ukon.

http://www.snellwilcox.com/products/...n/products.php

This jpeg shows difference between Phc based processing (on the left) and conventional processing (on the right):
post #9 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

For some reason, the attachments option won't work. It uploads the image, but it doesn't show in the post?
post #10 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

fasti PVPRO looks interesting. Does it have chroma delay adjustment?

I was able to open the attachment for the S&W products. Interesting. Im really interested to know if it has the features to eliminate EE etc. That is the stuff I find priceless in the Teranex. I know each manufacture does things different and has different priorities. I still cannot find any mention what the S&W does outside of up,down,cross conversion but youve peaked my interest.
post #11 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Alan:

I recall when you had the Teranex a few years back and that you became very frustrated with the user friendliness of the unit you had, has this been improved upon by their latest piece
post #12 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hi Lon

Yes I owned a 6RU years ago. For SD it was god but was never really intended for HD hence my reservation to revisit the product but the new platform years later has satisfied my needs beyond the best consumer product. Its really a shame...if people in the authoring business were doing their job and delivered source that was up to pare matching the marketing hype there would be no need VP. For the consumer VPs are used to correct for short comings in the source or projectors.
post #13 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup, SNL are top dogs in standardsconversion and processing. Teranex did put some pressure on them, but had (have) started lagging a few years ago as Snell & Wilcox started to dabble in Alchemy. How do you rate the stuff by LetItWave?
post #14 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The Tera has touch screen control. I have it networked to my touch screen at my seating area.
Here are a few caps from a few control screens showing some of the features.
This is the color space preset selection menu.

You can also customize the color space

or color correct. You can move a courser on the screen and target a color of choice

Plenty of NR with split screen. You can also target a portion of the screen

More NR. Here is the brickwall filter. You can dial out high frequency noise if needed.

Heres the advanced aperture adjustment. I love this one.

Cadence adjust

Format conversion.

You want to add a little film grain, we have that to

Seperate sharness on both plains allow you to sharpen or soften in ether direction
post #15 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Drool!

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #16 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

ddk - I'll have to study the Let It Wave literature. Would be interesting to know if any vendors are using their stuff. The examples they show on their website didn't impress me. They clean up the video up but also significantly blur the content. S&W claim to fame is that their processing removes/prevents artifacts without dynamically reducing the effective resolution.

Alan - Interesting you mention Teranex EE, because over on the Boston HDTV forum a couple of the guys were complaining about WCVB-TV (Ch-5 Boston) excessive EE. WCVB is using both a VC300 and Xantus for their HD processing. I own a S&W noise reduction processor and it includes a very comprehensive collection of user adjustable LPF, for reducing whatever artifacts. The Quasar and Ukon upscalers also include this type of NR processing, so the NR LPF would allow you to reduce excessive peaking. Also consider that a new Ukon will probably cost about the same as a new Mercedes E350!

Here's a link to what I was trying to post.

http://broadcastengineering.com/infr...lity_encoding/

Is there some trick to uploading images? I clicked on the paperclip, browsed to the jpeg image located in My Documents, uploaded, and nothing shows. What am I doing wrong?
post #17 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Well then perhaps Teranex should stay in the high end consumer market. Because they sure don't care about the professional market to spite the support many gave them in their humble beginnings.

There's a lot more to broadcast level conversions than picture quality. There are nit picky details that don't have the high prestige of writing scaling and NR algorithms but nevertheless are essential in making a broadcast conversion.

The origional Xantus was introduced at the same time as the Panasonic UFC. As the Xantus promissed better performane a few companies invested in the Xantus based on promisses that the needed features which the Panasonic already had would be implemented. Well they never were. Instead Teranex invested that money into reducing the Xantus scaling technology to a single chip for wide spread consumer market uses. Then they were bought by Silicon Optics.

This pissed a lot of people off in the Hollywood market. We ended up buying two Panasonic UFC's and the Teranex gets little use these days. It's OK for clips being inserted into a project but it's can't do an end to end conversion of a master.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #18 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 72

What is phase correlation technology?

Imagine applying that to MGM HD channel.

From that Broadcast Engineering link...
post #19 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Glimmie

I cannot speak on behalf of the commercial market, sorry to hear this. I wanted to bring attention to this piece as most have no idea something like exists and its performance is beyond any consumer VP.
post #20 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That there is a renaissance in high end video processing.
post #21 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Hi Steve

I did not own the Teranex when I had the C3X but man I wish I had. What a combo that would make. Screen is 8 feet wide scope, high power.

Didn't you know he is back to the 9 inch CRT.
post #22 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh brother, someone needs a superkontrast MKIII really bad.
post #23 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

What is Phase Correlation Technology?

Basically, they take a DFT of each frame and subtract the results from adjacent frames, which identifies the spectral content of pixel movement in the image. This result is inverse transformed to put it back into the time domain where it is used to steer or direct the motion adaptive algorithms. As you might guess, it takes a lot of processing power. Take a look inside a Snell and Wilcox processor and you will see arrays of Altera and Xilinx FPGAs (lots of heat too). Keep in mind that this equipment is strictly HD-SDI in/out, so you would need an SDI modded player and your display equipment would also need SDI input. Too rich for me. I'll stick with my lowly Realta based processor.
post #24 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is what I have been looking for...

What show is this piece shown at NAB or Shoeast/West?
post #25 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Peter

Probably will show at the SMPTE Tech Expo out in Hollywood, late October. Snell and Wilcox are listed as exhibitors:

http://www.smpte.org/events/smpte_an...s/exhibit_hall

The product you are interested in, is the Quasar:

http://www.snellwilcox.com/products/featured/quasarphc/

Not sure what they mean by "surprising affordable price"..... as your jaw drops to the floor. Is that the surprise?
post #26 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The quasar is sd to hd. I am looking to improve directv 1080i 720p and blueray 1080p24. Ukon?

But it has to be motion compensated and it must have Phase Correlation Technology.
post #27 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Glimmie

I cannot speak on behalf of the commercial market, sorry to hear this. I wanted to bring attention to this piece as most have no idea something like exists and its performance is beyond any consumer VP.

When they first exhibited at IBC two years ago, I also sensed they clearly were more into this widestrech stuff and reference LCD monitors that weren't really reference monitors, than the broadcast and productiongrade scaling.

Fastl, also two years ago Brickhouse Video from the UK launched an LetItWave single FPGA based SD to HD upconverter. List price, at the time, was around 6K UKP, according to the Brickhouse representative I asked. Last year the French did show some 2 RU boxes, an upconvertor, scaler, and an HD standards convertor, not sure if they build their own or they source them.
post #28 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Peter

Probably will show at the SMPTE Tech Expo out in Hollywood, late October. Snell and Wilcox are listed as exhibitors:

Not sure what they mean by "surprising affordable price"..... as your jaw drops to the floor. Is that the surprise?

IBC, NAB, smaller events(tech retreat?).

Gadgets that are only 25K Euro or UKP, are what gets Peter up in the morning.
post #29 of 95 Old 08-22-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #30 of 95 Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

It's just a silly marketing illustration. An original and the low pass filtered version. Relevance to subject entirely unclear. There are no such differences between HD compressed with state of the art encoder A or B or C.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page