Headline: Theta - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 619 Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's off to Vegas for me and my Pole Dancer for tommorrow night. Dinner at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill with a fine red of my choosing, follwed by a pole dance which will happen there and goes home with me. I'll be back on Sunday PM. Wish us a safe journey. Norm
tyree91 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 619 Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

It's off to Vegas for me and my Pole Dancer for tommorrow night. Dinner at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill with a fine red of my choosing, follwed by a pole dance which will happen there and goes home with me. I'll be back on Sunday PM. Wish us a safe journey. Norm

Have a safe journey and spend your dream on your pole dancer, not on the Theta HDMI 1.3 upgrade. Those dreams can wait a few days!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #183 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyree91 View Post

Brother, I'm an Audyssey Dealer, but also a purist. I use it all the time with Denon as well as Onkyo, & Integra. However when we use components at the level of Theta, Audio Research, and the like, I think they do more harm than good to the Harmonic Content, Air, FR, Imaging, Three Dimensionality, Dynamic Range,and overall Musicality. These are the things I value in High End Components, and I am loathe to put a filter in the transmission of these qualities. Regards, Norm

And all these horrible side effects of using whatever kind of room correction in the analog domain, they are I assume from circumventing the pure output of the Xtreme DACS and having to go through some kind of A/D and D/A conversions with much poorer quality DACS in a room correction device?

Which is why I figured it needed to be done before the DACS utilizing a digi-out card, meaning the all Gen VIII's configuration after a room correction device but now you're also saying that this isn't even a good solution as according to Theta, this method also has the tendency of destroying SQ., for whatever reason, aside from some other issues concerning level matching.

I was just hoping to avoid the inevitable awhile longer. You know, the properly designed room thing, so electronic room correction would not be very important or even necessary.
There is just no simple way around it I'm afraid, if I insist on using higher quality gear! Bummer, well discussion closed.

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #184 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Clinton,MS
Posts: 6,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

I was just hoping to avoid the inevitable awhile longer. You know, the properly designed room thing, so electronic room correction would not be very important or even necessary.
There is just no simple way around it I'm afraid, if I insist on using higher quality gear! Bummer, well discussion closed.

Bass correction is what most are doing. If it were full room correction then you could use it to correct for a center speaker placed behind a perforated screen but you can not. Since what we are really talking about is just bass correction why don't you start with a Velodyne SMS-1. No it's not as advanced as room correction but it will take you most of the way "there." Cross your subs at 80hz and you may also, which I advise, add room treatments. The biggest problem in most rooms are the bass frequencies so it would not surprise me that just adding either the Velodyne or a parametric eq.will satisfy most. I prefer an analog parametric eq like a Rane PE17. You can get one of those for no more than 150.00 on ebay used. The Velodyne is very easy to use as it autocalibrates. You just have to set the mike up. The parametric eq is more precise as you can dail in exactly where the problem frequencies are and hit some that the Velodyne is not precise enough to "hit". Either DIY or pre-made fiberglass aborption panels can get the job done from about 100hz up. Easiest solution is Real Traps and the Velodyne or parametric eq if you have the patience and want to save some money. IMO the room sounds better with the Rane. Factor in the price of the Real traps and parametric Eq vs room correction that will not likely go above 300hz. Room treatments help with all frequencies. Some electronic correction will always be necessary for most rooms. You can just have the best of both worlds.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #185 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Member
 
jgv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Check this out.... More info would had been nice, but at least it is in the spotlight! Marketing Department, ATI/Theta Digital, please get webs sights up to date! This will help generate more $$$

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2...good_news_and/
jgv1 is offline  
post #186 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post

Bass correction is what most are doing. If it were full room correction then you could use it to correct for a center speaker placed behind a perforated screen but you can not. Since what we are really talking about is just bass correction why don't you start with a Velodyne SMS-1. No it's not as advanced as room correction but it will take you most of the way "there." Cross your subs at 80hz and you may also, which I advise, add room treatments. The biggest problem in most rooms are the bass frequencies so it would not surprise me that just adding either the Velodyne or a parametric eq.will satisfy most. I prefer an analog parametric eq like a Rane PE17. You can get one of those for no more than 150.00 on ebay used. The Velodyne is very easy to use as it autocalibrates. You just have to set the mike up. The parametric eq is more precise as you can dail in exactly where the problem frequencies are and hit some that the Velodyne is not precise enough to "hit". Either DIY or pre-made fiberglass aborption panels can get the job done from about 100hz up. Easiest solution is Real Traps and the Velodyne or parametric eq if you have the patience and want to save some money. IMO the room sounds better with the Rane. Factor in the price of the Real traps and parametric Eq vs room correction that will not likely go above 300hz. Room treatments help with all frequencies. Some electronic correction will always be necessary for most rooms. You can just have the best of both worlds.

I am doing most of those things now. Subs are crossed at 80 for some but not all sources and I use 2 of Velodynes DD series subs in the front, so some EQ is there.

I just added my old Revel Sub-15 back into the system, in the rear, for better or worse, I don't really know yet but thought I'd give it a try.
Also, recently moved from Maggies front and rear to Aerial Mdl.9's F&R and let me tell you, that changes everything about the room all by itself.
Where the maggies needed those bare walls to work right, now, NOT!

So it's looking like correcting the room with traps and the like is my only real option. I was just looking for that quick and easy electronic fix.
Woulda been alot less work for me to just push a button.

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #187 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgv1 View Post

Check this out.... More info would had been nice, but at least it is in the spotlight! Marketing Department, ATI/Theta Digital, please get webs sights up to date! This will help generate more $$$

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2...good_news_and/

I liked Ash's price better. $3,500 as opposed to the reported $4,000

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #188 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
tjk3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The south.
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Theta? HDMI? Enough said. Found this in Stereophile

http://www.stereophile.com/news/090508cedia1/

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
tjk3030 is offline  
post #189 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgv1 View Post

Check this out.... More info would had been nice, but at least it is in the spotlight! Marketing Department, ATI/Theta Digital, please get webs sights up to date! This will help generate more $$$

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2...good_news_and/

The Ultimate AV Mag blurb only discusses HDMI switching. But I posted a comment there giving them our info here from AVS.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #190 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post

Theta? HDMI? Enough said. Found this in Stereophile

http://www.stereophile.com/news/090508cedia1/

Not only did Stereophile get a better picture of the rear panel then Ultimateavmag.com did (and the side where the card actually is) but it sounds like their published price is more in line with what we've been told.

Speaking of the Stereophile picture, did anyone notice a gold looking thing on the right side of the HDMI input?
What do you suppose that is?
Some sort of locking tab perhaps!

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #191 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

Not only did Stereophile get a better picture of the rear panel then Ultimateavmag.com did (and the side where the card actually is) but it sounds like their published price is more in line with what we've been told.

Speaking of the Stereophile picture, did anyone notice a gold looking thing on the right side of the HDMI input?
What do you suppose that is?
Some sort of locking tab perhaps!

I can't tell the color from the photos, but each HDMI input is sideways with a little circular jobbie to the right. Sounds like they are the newer locking HDMI
connections, where you can tighten the little circular jobbie to the right of the HDMI and it locks in the cable. To use the little circular jobbie you have to buy a HDMI cable that specially comes with the circular jobbie.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #192 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

I can't tell the color from the photos, but each HDMI input is sideways with a little circular jobbie to the right. Sounds like they are the newer locking HDMI
connections, where you can tighten the little circular jobbie to the right of the HDMI and it locks in the cable. To use the little circular jobbie you have to buy a HDMI cable that specially comes with the circular jobbie.

OK, blew it up as much as I can and the round gold do-hickie is the same round gold do-hickie as on the RS-232 for screwing that thing-a-mabob in.

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #193 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Ash Sharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: TX
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought my CB 1 in 1999 it is now a CB3 with 3 Extreme cards, along with 3 Citadel 1.5 (upgraded from citadel 1. 0) to power my 3 front speakers and my dreadnaught with 6 channels to power surrounds.... In Theta's prologix 2 mode .... the audio is divine.
Theta is offering a upgrade to the Dreadnaught too, but the other day I was at CEDIA I was so excited hear about the HDMI upgrade I forgot to ask them about the Dreadnaught upgrade....
Which High End Audio company can support upgrades of its products through such a long product life cycle.... it is great to be a Theta user and loyalist...
Frankly, my system sounds so good today and Theta can process to 7.1 in prologic... I am not sure what improvements we can hear when the HDMI upgrade comes. .
Thanks Theta....
Ash Sharma is offline  
post #194 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

I bought my CB 1 in 1999 it is now a CB3 with 3 Extreme cards, along with 3 Citadel 1.5 (upgraded from citadel 1. 0) to power my 3 front speakers and my dreadnaught with 6 channels to power surrounds.... In Theta's prologix 2 mode .... the audio is divine.
Theta is offering a upgrade to the Dreadnaught too, but the other day I was at CEDIA I was so excited hear about the HDMI upgrade I forgot to ask them about the Dreadnaught upgrade....
Which High End Audio company can support upgrades of its products through such a long product life cycle.... it is great to be a Theta user and loyalist...
Frankly, my system sounds so good today and Theta can process to 7.1 in prologic... I am not sure what improvements we can hear when the HDMI upgrade comes. .
Thanks Theta....

Long Post But Heartfelt Ending...

I bought my CBI, I think it was around the end of 96 and never got around to being able to upgrade it, it also being near the beginning of having to put 4 kids through collage.
It's wonderful that Theta was able to make something that worked and still sounded good after so many years, though they did do some minor upgrades for free during that time.

Finally, everybody got outta school 2yrs ago and I went ahead and just bought a new CBIII at a time when everyone was holding off buying anything new because of the question about HDMI.
I told myself not to worry about it because, afterall, this thing is a Casablanca!
Theta had never really left anyone in the lurch before, they even had a program for the discontinued Casa Nova, I was sure they'd do the right thing for us with HDMI.
Of course it turned out more nerve racking then I counted on but here we all are.
Our investment fully protected and waiting for the biggest change in A/V equipt since 2 channels turned into 5.1

Although my old CBI is just collecting dust, I'm not even going to consider what to do with it until my new CBIII comes home with an HDMI card.
I don't know what I'd do with myself while it was out for upgrade otherwise.

I could not have made a better choice in audio gear then to stay with Theta after I traded in my Levinson preamp for that 1st Casablanca.

I'm very grateful to Theta for remaining true to their original promise through this very difficult time.
And I know I speak for alot of people that will never post here when I say that, since this thread has had almost 6,000 hits, with less then 200 posts in just 2 weeks, with no real news until 24hrs. ago. That says something!

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #195 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hlkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Few questions...

1) Beside the HDMI card we are paying for $3.5K, I think and hope it is included the front face plate that can do the TrueHD, DTS MA and LPCM indication lights that our CBIII does not have today.

2) I currently have Xtreme & Supreme II DAC in my CBIII. What do you guys think about getting rid of the Supreme II DAC for all the rear channels and get the premium DAC? The only reason why I want to do that is from 5.1 to 7.1. If I do that will Theta send me back the premium II DAC? Will I able to resell to anyone?

3) It seems to me that there are a lot of CBIII users here want to do this upgrade as soon as become available. I wonder is there anyway we can do/start a discount group buy from Norm and/or Craig?

Thank you for all the good news that this thread provided lately.
hlkc is offline  
post #196 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Few questions...

1) Beside the HDMI card we are paying for $3.5K, I think and hope it is included the front face plate that can do the TrueHD, DTS MA and LPCM indication lights that our CBIII does not have today.

2) I currently have Xtreme & Supreme II DAC in my CBIII. What do you guys think about getting rid of the Supreme II DAC for all the rear channels and get the premium DAC? The only reason why I want to do that is from 5.1 to 7.1. If I do that will Theta send me back the premium II DAC? Will I able to resell to anyone?

3) It seems to me that there are a lot of CBIII users here want to do this upgrade as soon as become available. I wonder is there anyway we can do/start a discount group buy from Norm and/or Craig?

Thank you for all the good news that this thread provided lately.

Seems pretty quiet here tonight so I'll give this a shot. Someone will correct
me if I'm wrong.

Question 1.
If those formats are in your machine, I'm pretty sure it's going to be on the panel for reasons of licencing, rather then to just give you more lights.

Question 2
"will Theta send me back the premium II DAC?" I think you meant to say Superior II.

You'll get back all your old cards and of course any new cards you buy.
I'd be very surprised if you couldn't resell a card that works for the HDMI upgrade as so many people will need new cards and plenty will be on the lookout for ones on the cheap.

Question 3
You'll need to hear that from one of those guys but my best guess for a group discount on an upgrade would be a big NO! I'd be very happy if one of those guys might get us some kind of discount though.

You Should recieve, as in the past, a discount on all the stuff you buy during an upgrade. Like that DAC card you want. The usual discount, at least dealing direct with the factory was 15%. I don't know what a dealer was able to give since I did not have one untill I met Craig. I was 10yrs without a dealer.

Good Luck

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #197 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Steve Bruzonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Gilbert, Arizona
Posts: 17,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Few questions...

1) Beside the HDMI card we are paying for $3.5K, I think and hope it is included the front face plate that can do the TrueHD, DTS MA and LPCM indication lights that our CBIII does not have today.

2) I currently have Xtreme & Supreme II DAC in my CBIII. What do you guys think about getting rid of the Supreme II DAC for all the rear channels and get the premium DAC? The only reason why I want to do that is from 5.1 to 7.1. If I do that will Theta send me back the premium II DAC? Will I able to resell to anyone?

3) It seems to me that there are a lot of CBIII users here want to do this upgrade as soon as become available. I wonder is there anyway we can do/start a discount group buy from Norm and/or Craig?

Thank you for all the good news that this thread provided lately.


If you replace a DAC card of course you get to keep the old DAC card that you had previously paid for. And you can then sell it.

Re a discount on the upgrade, I suggest you PM or e-mail Norm or Craig but keep it off the forum as discussing that on the forum (other than MSRP pricing) is against forum rules. Keep in mind that historically Theta has had upgrade prices at lower margins than new pricing so you generally can't bargain as much on upgrades.

Re the display and whether it requires replacing, that's a good question.
Norm or Craig, please find out when you have a chance. Thanks.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
Steve Bruzonsky is offline  
post #198 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim HTPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes the front display will need to be changed for the new logos. They do light up. All units need to be sent back to the factory for the upgrade meaning you can't just insert the HDMI board in slot 2 and it will work.
Jim HTPC is offline  
post #199 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hlkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

Question 1.
If those formats are in your machine, I'm pretty sure it's going to be on the panel for reasons of licencing, rather then to just give you more lights.

Thanks for the reply. My question on number 1 was more to point out that we WILL need to have different front plate since our current CBIII plate has no new format indication lights there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Re a discount on the upgrade, I suggest you PM or e-mail Norm or Craig but keep it off the forum as discussing that on the forum (other than MSRP pricing) is against forum rules. Keep in mind that historically Theta has had upgrade prices at lower margins than new pricing so you generally can't bargain as much on upgrades.

Okay. Craig and Norm, Will PM you guys soon. Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Re the display and whether it requires replacing, that's a good question.
Norm or Craig, please find out when you have a chance. Thanks.

Norm or Craig, thanks in advance.
hlkc is offline  
post #200 of 619 Old 09-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Thanks for the reply. My question on number 1 was more to point out that we WILL need to have different front plate since our current CBIII plate has no new format indication lights there.

Yes I understand that we'll need a new plate in the display but again, I'm pretty sure the reasoning behind putting them on the machine in the first place is for licencing purposes.

Have you seen some of the machines around that have everything in the world in them? You can bearly see what the front panel looks like! Licencing is the only reason I can think of to deface a peice of equipt. like that.

On the Pioneer Kuro Elite TV's they did a very cool thing, they put those logo's on the thin top edge of the set so the only time you ever have to see them is when it comes out of the box.

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #201 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nick Satullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: highland hts., ohio, USA
Posts: 3,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe this question has alreadt been addressed(it's very late)--but I thought that 1.3 permitted a digital transmission of either SACD or DVD-A. Certainly, if that's true, then the Six-Shooter becomes a paperweight.

Nick
Nick Satullo is offline  
post #202 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nick Satullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: highland hts., ohio, USA
Posts: 3,586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maybe this question has alreadt been addressed(it's very late)--but I thought that 1.3 permitted a digital transmission of either SACD or DVD-A. Certainly, if that's true, then the Six-Shooter becomes a paperweight.

Nick
Nick Satullo is offline  
post #203 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
bigbrother52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hudson River Valley, N.Y.
Posts: 943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Satullo View Post

Maybe this question has alreadt been addressed(it's very late)--but I thought that 1.3 permitted a digital transmission of either SACD or DVD-A. Certainly, if that's true, then the Six-Shooter becomes a paperweight.

Nick

According to Tyree91 in post 143, Theta said " No DSD signal transfer or D/A is planned in either the CBIII or the Gen VIII due to the waning interest in SACD".

But a modified machine such as the Oppo by Shawn Fogg will convert DSD to PCM to pass over HDMI.

Why don't you do that and sell me your paperweight real cheap!

TURN IT UP!
bigbrother52 is offline  
post #204 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Clinton,MS
Posts: 6,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post

Frankly, my system sounds so good today and Theta can process to 7.1 in prologic... I am not sure what improvements we can hear when the HDMI upgrade comes. .
Thanks Theta....

OH, Ash, you will hear it. Dolby TrueHD is an easy to hear improvement. I think you are going to finally get a signal for movies worthy of the equipment you have. These new formats have the potential to provide DVD-A/SACD level of sound quality along with an HD picture.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #205 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sfogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Ma, USA
Posts: 5,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"--but I thought that 1.3 permitted a digital transmission of either SACD or DVD-A. Certainly, if that's true, then the Six-Shooter becomes a paperweight."

Just because 1.3 supports DSD transfer doesn't mean any 1.3 device automatically supports that. It is a possible feature not a requirement.

Shawn
sfogg is offline  
post #206 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sfogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Ma, USA
Posts: 5,614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"But a modified machine such as the Oppo by Shawn Fogg will convert DSD to PCM to pass over HDMI."

A stock Oppo will do this.

My modification adds 3 S/PDIF outputs that pass converted DSD to PCM as well as DVD-A at up to 192kHz. It is for those that don't have HDMI. For example someone with a Gen 8 that wants to use it with high resolution sources or Meridian owners...etc..etc.

Shawn
sfogg is offline  
post #207 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gladiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shawn- could you PM with details about your Oppo modification when you have a moment. Thank you. I have a Gen VIII and am interested.
Gladiator is offline  
post #208 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
tjk3030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The south.
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
And I know I speak for alot of people that will never post here when I say that, since this thread has had almost 6,000 hits, with less then 200 posts in just 2 weeks, with no real news until 24hrs. ago. That says something!

HMMMMM. 6,000 * $3500 = $21,000,000. That's says something too.

Better get in line, boys.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
tjk3030 is offline  
post #209 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
sierraalphahotel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fortunately, I have the correct DACs to enable HDMI to work in my CBIII (1 Extreme & 1 Premium) I doubt I would keep the Six Shooter after the HDMI upgrade but selling a Six Shooter here in the UK would be difficult and the bigger American market would not want my 240V powered unit.

I am so pleased that this is all actually happening and all of my whining about Theta & HDMI a few months ago now seems a little rash!
sierraalphahotel is offline  
post #210 of 619 Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hlkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Yes the front display will need to be changed for the new logos. They do light up. All units need to be sent back to the factory for the upgrade meaning you can't just insert the HDMI board in slot 2 and it will work.

Understood and my question/my point was I hope that is part of the $3.5K.
hlkc is offline  
Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off