Can UPS be used with Voltage Stabilizer and Isolation Transformer - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 06-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello fellow forum users. This should be fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM

Many misunderstandings throughout this thread though.
post #33 of 39 Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastl View Post

How do you know that the person you spoke to at Furman knows what he is talking about? My observations are that many of the people involved with sales and marketing of consumer power conditioning products are disingenuous to say the least (that's the nicest thing I can say). When I see slang terminology like "burn" your UPS, my BS alarm goes off. What exactly are you trying to do?

Hmm don't know anything?
You can always contact me and find out. Since I have lived most of my life in the world of pro audio, I do have a different take on fidelity.
AC Line Impedance is a big problem. And I would suggest a little research in this, will lead to the understanding of why certain devices in power management should NOT be used back to back. Also, AC Line Impedance can effect an amplifiers performance, but with regard to this UPS question remember this simple fact: Manufacturers of power management, design equipment to specifications of electrical codes and safety certifications, and the proper implementation of the designs are critical. Otherwise electronic components can "burn out".

As far as power conditioning and surge protection, many people don't even understand or misinterpret the basic concepts of why it employed in the first place. As a result, they choose the wrong device for the wrong reasons or applications. Most people against the technology have never really beta tested it in multiple location world-wide, for extended period of time, to see its benefits.

Always keep in mind, its always good to be well grounded.

Have a great day!
post #34 of 39 Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastl View Post

Frantz

I already recommended that he look for an "online" UPS. That's the industry term for your double conversion UPS. Best Power is no more. They were apparently bought out by Eaton and now sell the product line under the Powerware brand name (which I also recommend).

Incidentally, my APC Smart UPS is currently running from an outlet on my Furman AR-15 Series II line voltage regulator. Neither the Furman or APC have gotten "burned", whatever that is supposed to mean. Same APC UPS had been run directly off a wall socket for over three years without getting "burned" there either. Certainly has seen it's share of line voltage dips, sags, outages and lightning hits, too.

To anyone reading this, DO NOT DO THIS SET UP. The fidelity will be terrible and from a power management stand point, it is an accident waiting to happen.[/quote]
post #35 of 39 Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You come across like the guy in the Monty Python skit that keeps trying to start an argument. I guess that's "fun".
post #36 of 39 Old 06-29-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikemrmike View Post

To anyone reading this, DO NOT DO THIS SET UP. The fidelity will be terrible and from a power management stand point, it is an accident waiting to happen.
[/quote]

Mike,
I'm not personally set up this way so no dog in the hunt but a statement like this should include the why explanation. It would satisfy curiosity if nothing else and take it out out of the magic, because realm.

Les
post #37 of 39 Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

...but a statement like this should include the why explanation....

Yeah! Especially, considering that it has been working like this flawlessly for the last 3 years (or so). Been through many voltage dips and sags, several sudden unexpected power outages, and has also been up and running on the backup emergency generator. That's really funny!
post #38 of 39 Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I can't help with the original question, but I thought this might be of interest to some:

The only power-related component I ever heard and saw improve (while many degraded) audio and video was, believe it or not, a power cord, and it was a relatively cheap one. Desiring a 12 gauge pc to replace the stock 14 gauge pc with my PS Audio Power Director, I stumbled upon a clearance item at HH Gregg, a pc made by Acoustic Research marked down to $20 (originally $50). Happy just to save a few bucks and get a 12 gauge cord I installed it without any expectations. But, to my surprise I found a huge improvement when my music was noticeably better (lower noise floor ) and my plasma TV noticeably cleaner in PQ. The improvements were so startling that I switched the old cord with the new one several times to confirm what I was hearing (and seeing) and verified it was valid to my satisfaction. While the cord had extra shielding, the only thing I can imagine making such a marked difference was the fact that it had a large ferrite core on the input end. Ferrite cores are proven technology (if properly implemented) but they are usually associated with computer monitors and digital TVs (my Panasonic plasma came with a whole set of them) and not with general-use power cords like the Acoustic Research. Now the bad news, for some reason Acoustic Research no longer sells these exceptional power cords, so if you find one leftover (like me) it will be sheer luck. Worth looking for, however, IMO.

"The truth is out there!"
post #39 of 39 Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Derek, I certainly can help with the original question. There was a misconception regarding the daisy-chaining of power conditioning equipment, and I was describing how I had my UPS connected to the output of my Furman AR1215 line voltage stabilizer to the keep the AVR (automatic voltage regulator) in the UPS from responding to line voltage dips. I wasn't "recommending" this arrangement, but just merely noting that the configuration did what I wanted and worked just fine. Had nothing to do with making the audio sound "better".
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page