post #91 of 161 Old 09-06-2008, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post

Buy some property, as long as you have a US address, you should be all set. You can enjoy watching movies in Switzerland then. After all, no one can force you to keep the equipment in the US, if you have other places to live as well.

I'm not that interested to buy property just for that. If they are smart they offer this worldwide, if necessary with different release date restrictions, but no other restrictions. Also, there is content from other countries one would like to see this way, not just Hollywood product, so it needs to be an international approach anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 161 Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
it is not a case of being smart, it is a case of complying with complex international licensing agreements.

Comply with those agreements, SMART, allow event he smallest loophole for people to cause those agreements to be defaulted... NOT SMART.

Proud Daddy to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 161 Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carled View Post

If they have increased the gamut without increasing the bit depth then there will be a larger range of colours covered by each of the 12 million or so shades that can be displayed, increasing the potential for banding. DCI gets around this by using a 12 bit log greyscale, but there hasn't been any word so far of them using anything beyond 8 bit integer for this. Given that HDMI and most new displays can accept 10 bit YCbCr, it strikes me as odd they wouldn't improve the bit depth as well as the gamut, they sort of go hand in hand.

I guess we will have to get some real specs here soon.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #94 of 161 Old 09-08-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I know there has been reference to it in other threads, but I wanted to start one specifically to keep this issue clear and to get some direct opinion.......

1. Did anyone see the improved content shown at the Sim2 stand? Bear in mind not all that was shown was this new stuff. Please don't post some inane drivel like "I saw something but Im not sure if it was the new thing"

2. Did anyone see a comparison with standard HD

3. Has anyone seen it elsewhere?

Alan, I'm hoping you can give us a decent appraisal soon as this has caught many peoples imagination.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #95 of 161 Old 09-08-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Technical specs of typical content would be useful, including bit depth and chroma sampling. Interface requirements from the server to projector would also help, including version of HDMI needed. Some indication of which features of the content would be available with a projector like the JVC RS20 would be of interest to many.
post #96 of 161 Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 PM

On Saturday, Sim2 showed a couple downloaded clips from Video Giants that were said to be running at a higher bitrate than blue ray.

As far as I know,

The only higher than HD clips were actual 4k clips from a prototype 4k camera presented on the new 4k JVC. These were phenomenal in every respect.
post #97 of 161 Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes I seen it at SIM2 and at the HD Experience sound room.

The projector has to modified with a thier (HDE) software for color management. At present 3 points of control and the future will bring 10.

In the HDE room (no audio so there are serious about thier video!) they displayed thier projector. The new player was an HP PC but the street product will be dressed up and consumer proofed for the high end home cinema market though still a PC at heart.

They (HD Giants, I think. Sorry COLD for thinking) are trying to cut a deal with "Hollywood" to distribute the media at $50 a disk (2x the bit rate of BR) in less than 30 days of the release in theaters.

I'm on thier email list so I'll update those as I'm updated.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #98 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I spent a good amount of time there. They were playing off a laptop, in fact they had to go retrieve the laptop from the Sim2 booth to do the demo. A couple of clips from Video Giants, one of them was a Mandy Moore video. Looked nice, but they did not have normal BD/HD content to compare it directly to. They did do a switch on a freeze frame in Windows Media Player to sort of try to show the difference in color. What they were describing was a 45 meg bitrate and 12 bit color depth. Talked about distributing via a BD50. Seems to me that bitrate may be lower than what you would really want. Also, it seems that a BD50 would not be enough. The idea is to transfer the content to your server, and it is yours. The disc or hard drive would then be returned.

They are planning on having a 3-chip 1080P DLP projector as part of the package, based on the Delta platform. They also have a 720P option, but I am not sure anyone in the target population would want this.

It seems that this company is very much in its infancy, and not all of the details are sorted out just yet.
post #99 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Infancy? Its a virtual company with various folks saying different things. Not a criticism but a result of the group not being centralized and being in an infancy stage. The rumor is that Alan G. has been appointed VP of marketing. More than a runor because one of the EE folks said thay had a partnership with Alan on this. Seems very strange that Sim2 has partnered with them if they are really going to market their own projector. Basically Delta machines modified to meet DCI standards (yellow filter and special gamma curves).

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #100 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The way this Video Giants is coming out in the next 6 months for sure is VIA Download thru servers whose software was written by Aspen Media Systems.

There I met with:

Paul McIntire pmcintire@aspenmediaproducts.com
Katherine Ryan kryan@musicgiants.com

There will be 4,500 downloadable tiltles, these 1080p tiltes will be 45mb DEEP COLOR HDMI 1.3. You also get a dvd copy and a digital copy to play on ipod evrytime you download. You can rent and purchase if you like or one or the other.

Regarding DCI content, aspen media has a server, Video Giants is actively looking to implement a separate DCI like content tier via secure key hard drive -1st Q 2009. The movies will be 500-1,000 and you can ionly watch them for a limited playing time. This monetary incentivizing of the studios I BUY. Bring it on.

I suggest you get in these peoples distribution list to get the facts straight in a consistent basis moving forward.

They say they have the capacity to deliver FULL DCI or watered down versions based on variable codecs. Not different masters.

Of the 4,500 titles she only confirmed the image entertainment library. These have all the Imax tiltles.

I told them that a little bird told me warner, universal, and paramount , they just smiled. So it is safe to assume those seem to be the studios for the downloaded content.

post #101 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

The way this Video Giants is coming out in the next 6 months for sure is VIA Download thru servers whose software was written by Aspen Media Systems.

There I met with:

There will be 4,500 downloadable tiltles, these 1080p tiltes will be 45mb. You also get a dvd copy and a digital copy to play on ipod evrytime you download. You can rent and purchase if you like or one or the other.

Regarding DCI content, aspen media has a server, Video Giants is actively looking to implement a separate DCI like content tier via secure key hard drive -1st Q 2009. The movies will be 500-1,000 and you can ionly watch them for a limited playing time. This monetary incentivizing of the studios I BUY. Bring it on.

I suggest you get in these peoples distribution list to get the facts straight in a consistent basis moving forward.

Peter:

This is with Better than HD, not in competition correct?
post #102 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

MUSICGIANTS® AND VIDEOGIANTS™ BECOME ONE BIG GIANT
Denver, CO – CEDIA EXPO – September 4-7, 2008 – MusicGiants, Inc. today announced its new corporate identity, HDGiants™, to convey to customers, dealers and manufacturers that it is the only source for the highest quality music AND movies for high-end home theaters.
MusicGiants launched in 2005 as the only digital download service licensed to sell high-definition music from all of the major music labels. The company recently introduced its HD film distribution platform, “VideoGiants”, and felt it was necessary to make the move to HDGiants so that customers, dealers and manufactures would know the company’s products were not limited to the highest quality music. HDGiants will continue to offer its high definition music under the MusicGiants® brand. Likewise, high definition movies, music concerts, music videos and television will continue to be distributed under its VideoGiants® brand.
“Our music and film content is a higher quality than the content you can get from any other digital distributor licensed by the major music and film companies. It makes the experience in any home theater environment sound better and look better”, says Scott Bahneman, CEO of HDGiants. “It is a must-have for anybody who has invested in high performance audio or video gear for their home”, Bahneman continued.
“Our move to HDGiants is very exciting and it truly represents the amount of growth that we have made in key areas of entertainment distribution,” continues Bahneman. “Under this corporate identity we will continue to move into more diverse areas of content delivery including music videos, television, concerts, 3D movies and video games, and imagery.”
MusicGiants’ HD downloads use the WMA lossless format to deliver up to seven time’s better sound quality than other digital download services. MusicGiants also offers Super HD™ downloads created from our proprietary hardware and software system using sample rates of 88.2/24 and 96/24. These files re-create the fantastic listening experience of SACD and DVD-Audio.
VideoGiants delivers high bit rate content ranging from 420p standard definition to 1080p up to 45 mbps, depending on hardware partner capability. This is a video experience previously unavailable to home theater customers.
Currently, the MusicGiants® and VideoGiants™ HD Media Store is being integrated with top hardware manufacturers such as Crestron, Aspen Media Products, QSonix, Niveus, Russound, Olive and ReQuest which provide access to our premium content through their high performance entertainment systems. HDGiants has more than 600 CEDIA dealers in its program who increase their profit margin and earn recurring revenue on every entertainment purchase their customers make.

HDGIANTS™ RELEASES FIRST-OF-ITS-KIND HD MUSIC AND MOVIE STORE AND MANAGEMENT APPLICATION FOR MICROSOFT’S VISTA OPERATING CENTER
Denver, CO – CEDIA EXPO 2008 – September 4-7, 2008 – HDGiants, the leading distributor of high definition entertainment into home theater environments, today announced the release of its HD MediaStore™ application for integration with consumer electronics running Microsoft’s Vista operating system Media Center Edition. This unique application allows media server customers the ease and convenience of purchasing and downloading high quality movies and music directly into their living room through their remote control.
“The media server market has exploded in the last year and the demand for easy access to high quality entertainment is on the rise. With our HD MediaStore™ application for Vista-based MCE devices, we are uniquely positioned to meet this demand,” says Scott Bahneman, CEO of HDGiants. “Whether you are a media server manufacturer or a do-it-yourselfer, our HD Media Store application gives you the ability to buy new movies and music in the highest quality available with a click of your remote control.”
The HD MediaStore™ application for Vista MCE devices is being developed in partnership with Aspen Media Products who recognizes its added-value as a primary way of differentiating their media server products from the rest of the competition. In addition to media servers providing customers with exciting ways to manage their digital media, they now have the ability to offer the convenience of a built-in HD entertainment store where customers can purchase and download all of their favorite movies and music in the highest quality available.
“HDGiants has come through big, offering the highest quality movies and music in digital format. At Aspen Media we are dedicated to bringing exceptional quality to the home entertainment market, while maintaining integrity,” says John Oliver, CTO of Aspen Media Products. “This offering is not only the ultimate in quality and simplicity; it is the legal way to load high definition movies on a hard drive. We partnered with HDGiants to bring this experience into Media Center with the same quality that both our companies are known for, written directly into Media Center the store also becomes the easiest way for your customers to get their digital media. Together Aspen Media Products and HDGiants is AMPlifiying your digital life!”
The HD MediaStore™ is available for demonstration during the CEDIA EXPO 2008 at the Aspen Media Products booth - #478. Key features include browsing the MusicGiants® and VideoGiants™ store, unique search capabilities and overall ease of installation and use of this application. To learn more contact Jack Wrigley, VP Sales of HDGiants at jwrigley@hdgiants.com.
About HDGiants
HDGiants delivers high definition entertainment directly into home theater environments through its proprietary content delivery platform. Our HD MediaStore™ is integrated into top media servers for convenient delivery of the highest quality movies, music and other digital content. HDGiants is the perfect companion for home audio and video systems and anywhere else that high quality entertainment matters. For information on HDGiants, visit www.HDGiants.com.
Press Contact: Katherine Ryan 415.713.2682
kryan@HDGiants.com

post #103 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I will start a new thread on this formidable musicGiants and Video Giants server system with Gangable 200 Blue ray changers.

post #104 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Katherine Ryan , a ravishing button is adamant of the better than HD quality, that is what they are all about, Higher Bit rate, deeper color.

The Bel Air Circuit for the millionaire masses thing is something she feels security can be ensured and that the studios will open the vaults at the prospect of 5,000 people paying 1,000 a movie.

post #105 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe I saw the Beyond HD demo in the SIM2 booth, and frankly I was left wanting. They said it was like 40-50Mbps of video, and I perceived it to look slightly better, but there was no wow, this is really better. I thought maybe it had to do with the encoding techniques, the codec itself, could be anything. I hope that it is not truly as good as it gets for this product, because while the idea appeals to me very much, the current execution of it did not really.

rotary subwoofer install blog
:
... c
post #106 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 489
I think the improvement was small but very apparent. Better contrast and blacks and a wider color gamut. really hard to judge anything under show conditions.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #107 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I think the improvement was small but very apparent. Better contrast and blacks and a wider color gamut. really hard to judge anything under show conditions.

True, and those things you mention have nothing to do with more bit rate... I wonder if the bit rate was higher at all for this demo.

rotary subwoofer install blog
:
... c
post #108 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There I met with:

There will be 4,500 downloadable tiltles, these 1080p tiltes will be 45mb DEEP COLOR HDMI 1.3. You also get a dvd copy and a digital copy to play on ipod evrytime you download. You can rent and purchase if you like or one or the other.

They say they have the capacity to deliver FULL DCI or watered down versions based on variable codecs. Not different masters.

Of the 4,500 titles she only confirmed the image entertainment library. These have all the Imax tiltles.

I told them that a little bird told me warner, universal, and paramount , they just smiled. So it is safe to assume those seem to be the studios for the downloaded content.

When you say the movies will be 500-1000, what exactly do you mean?

post #109 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Anybody know the media format specs fot this beyond HD? Is the new standard even defined?

Mattias Ohlson
post #110 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM

So this content can be downloaded and played back via a compatible PC, independent of EE?

How will Deep Color compare to the DCI gamut?

In any case, Deep Color is a standard that new HDMI 1.3 display devices should handle. DCI is not.

And what about audio? If there is no lossless audio ala Blu-Ray, then a major part of the experience will be inferior to a mass-market, consumer format.

Quote:

There I met with:

post #111 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

When you say the movies will be 500-1000, what exactly do you mean?

Dollars. To watch for 3-days day and date with the cinemas.

post #112 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 148
They're delivered on HDDs as far as I've read, no new format.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #113 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh OK I get it. Day and Date make a big difference. I do wish it was less.

So if they are charging that much, does that mean you get a license to charge for admission or show it in a public setting such as a church or school?

post #114 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Also, when it comes to downloads, what about bandwidth restrictions that are imposed by almost every ISP in existence?

I mean, I could download a 50GB file in 7 to 8 hours, so a movie a day would be no problem, except my ISP would shut me down in no time.
post #115 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

Oh OK I get it. Day and Date make a big difference. I do wish it was less.

So if they are charging that much, does that mean you get a license to charge for admission or show it in a public setting such as a church or school?

You are joking right?
post #116 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

DENVER, CO — The Crestron ADMS (Adagio® Digital Media System) draws massive crowds at CEDIA 2008 booth #301. The ADMS is the only digital media system that can transfer and store multiple media libraries, search titles stored locally and on the Internet simultaneously, and playback a wide-range of media formats including DVD, Blu-ray, streaming media and digital content from Amazon.com, MusicGiants and VideoGiants. ADMS is recognized by CEDIA as the most significant new technology introduced this year and the 2008 Manufacturer's Excellence Award winner for Best New Technology.

The new Adagio Digital Media System (ADMS) consolidates various and disparate digital media into one brilliant solution, incorporating a high-definition multimedia server, online streaming media player, DVD or Blu-ray Disc player, and Web browser. Exclusive WorldSearch™ technology produces an aggregate listing for any media title in just click of a button. Crestron WorldSearch quickly searches the entire media library along with a multitude of online content providers. Results are displayed onscreen or on a touchpanel in an elegant graphical interface enabling intuitive selection for instant playback as streaming media, download, and even direct rental or purchase through the ADMS.

The ADMS brings the largest online video library into the home theater for immediate rental or purchase with Amazon Unbox and HD Media Store from VideoGiants. From the latest high-definition releases to the classics, the ADMS makes it easy to enjoy the best movies and concerts instantly.

ADMS provides the ability to select and play a DVD or high-definition Blu-ray Disc right from the front panel. The optional ADC-200BR 200-disc Blu-ray Changer provides seamless access to an entire DVD and Blu-ray Disc collection, and up to 5 changers can be added for an astounding 1000 disc storage capacity. All discs are added to the ADMS media library complete with metadata and cover art, so locating your movies is fast and easy.

The ADMS is also a feature-rich multi-zone music server, providing 2 independent stereo zone outputs in addition to the home theater surround sound outputs. New music can be seamlessly downloaded directly from MusicGiants. Web browsing completes the total solution, providing access to all your favorite Web sites right on your big screen display within the same intuitive graphical interface.

Two ADMS models are available. The base ADMS includes a standard DVD drive and 500GB internal RAID storage. The ADMS-BR features a Blu-ray Disc drive and 1TB RAID storage. All media is totally safe using RAID 1 technology, utilizing dual redundant hard drives to maintain two copies of your data for extreme reliability. Expanding system storage is easy with the addition of the CEN-NAS-4TB 4 Terabyte Network Attached Storage Appliance with RAID 5 support. The ADMS seamlessly extends storage across any number of Network Attached Storage units that are added to your system.

The ADMS provides a user experience like no other on the market today, integrating high definition video and audio, online movie rental and purchase, and a web experience direct to your home theater.

post #117 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradjohnsonfan View Post

Also, when it comes to downloads, what about bandwidth restrictions that are imposed by almost every ISP in existence?

I mean, I could download a 50GB file in 7 to 8 hours, so a movie a day would be no problem, except my ISP would shut me down in no time.

Comcast just announced that they will be charging for 'overuseage'.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #118 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This system rocks...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #119 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This system rocks...

Cuantos Dinero?
post #120 of 161 Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lots of it the server with the blue ray drive is11, the bd changer is 9 the 4 tera expansion Nas it's not nas I think it is DAS or something like that is 5.

But it's sexy.

Closed Thread Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page