1Likes

post #451 of 615 Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot View Post

some of the "surrounds on a couple of bass drivers must have dried out and are buzzy." He's asking for recommendations on replacements for the rubber surrounds or drivers since the original drivers aren't made anymore.

I can't imagine that a speaker that lived its life in (Super-humid) Charleston, SC could have anything "dried out." (I've heard that those rubber surrounds are supposed to last 25-40 years without problems)

The first thing I'd recommend is to have the guy "CAREFULLY" check the woofers mounting screws to make sure they didn't loosen. (Possible, but I've never known a Dunlavy speaker to loosen)

Next I'd have him check the dust caps to make sure they didn't loosen (very unlikely, but check anyway).

Finally, I'd have him pull the "buzzy" woofer out and check the spider. That's the hard-ish cloth (usually orange/yellow/gold colored) that covers the magnet structure right behind the cone. Check the inner and outer contact points (mostly the outer) and make sure they're snuggly attached. On rare occasions the glue that holds the spider (cloth) will separate and the air movement during playback will cause a buzz. It's a really simple 60 second re-gluing job plus a full day to dry before using the speaker again.

My guess is the spider is probably the culprit. Let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 615 Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:

some of the "surrounds on a couple of bass drivers must have dried out and are buzzy." He's asking for recommendations on replacements for the rubber surrounds or drivers since the original drivers aren't made anymore.

Please note that I've never personally tried this, but according to Madisound (who's advice I trust), http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us, they recommend using ArmorAll (although they did misspell it).

"Note: Some of the rubber surrounds are chalky from age. You can bring them back to normal with some AmorAll."

ArmorAll's webpage (http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...gory_index=new) does say "Renews and revitalizes vinyl, rubber and plastic" so this might help too!

Good luck!
post #453 of 615 Old 09-10-2010, 05:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for the suggestions guys - I asked for some more info from the buyer because, as I said, the surrounds didn't look "dried out" in the least bit when I had them. He said that it wasn't the surrounds themselves, but the glue that holds the paper cone to the surrounds - apparently when they started listening to the speakers, the glue failed and just came loose from the surround. He said it looked like the glue had just dried out - which is a seemingly much easier fix than an issue with the rubber surrounds.

I got this link from Jive Turkey:

http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au/...er_drivers.htm

About 3/4 of the way down the page are the Dunlavy drivers. I'm assuming the 12" driver at the top - Vifa M30WO-49 - was the one for the SC-V? The buyer said that the driver was a Morel, but you guys are the experts so I want to double-check

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #454 of 615 Old 09-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So the guy who bought these from me received them today, and is telling me that some of the "surrounds on a couple of bass drivers must have dried out and are buzzy." .

Hogpilot, this is turning out to be a freaking nightmare...
post #455 of 615 Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post

Hogpilot, this is turning out to be a freaking nightmare...

Ha, well, not as bad as it initially sounded. After talking with the buyer - who has been incredibly reasonable and understanding - we both agree that it's better and cheaper to re-glue the cones to the rubber surrounds. He was looking for information regarding replacement drivers in the event that the first fix didn't work.

It looks like everything is turning out OK...but I did feel a little bad when he said "be thankful you didn't keep these!"

post #456 of 615 Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post

...Benny, I'll take pictures of the SC-IV/a crossovers while I'm at it - long overdue, my friend...

How are those pictures coming along?

post #457 of 615 Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
lol...I'm sitting in front of my speakers now...ok, I'll pull them out!!
post #458 of 615 Old 10-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

ok...did Dunlavy start super-gluing these crossover plates in the later years? These things are *not* coming off. Screws are off...I cannot pry these things off with my hands. I then carefully stuck a knife behind just to give me some leverage. The plate essentially laughed at me.

I've attached a few images...

Dunlavy TSW-VI with screws on:

Dunlavy TSW-VI with screws off...and I can't get 'er off... there are still four screws there just below the binding posts. I started unscrewing the far left one and it just spun and spun with the drill without coming out...so I freaked out and stopped because thought "what if there was a wire attached to the other side and I just spun it in loops before breaking off? well..I hand spun it back the amount of times I thought I spun it...didn't feel like anything was attached to it...

And the SC-VI/a:

There is this rubber material between the metal and the speaker...could it have kinda gone to mush over the years and now bonded with the speaker? Neither feel like they are budging a single bit. Not even a corner!
post #459 of 615 Old 10-11-2010, 04:36 PM

The rubber does soften over the years and makes a sort of bond. Using a large flat putty knife/scrapper and gently forcing it in will break the seal and prevent damage to the wood. It takes some force to break the seal but there isn't any damage to be done to anything inside.
Also, the rubber part is bonded permanently to the aluminum back plate. So you will want to be sure and slide the putty knife between the rubber and wood only.
post #460 of 615 Old 10-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Champ I will try again on the other one...but I will need to move a bunch of items out of the way to get to the back of it...

On another note, those signed Dunlavys are back on the Audiogon from that guy "representing" those who sunk Dunlavy to the bottom and drove it out of business faster than I blinked. Inflated prices as always...
post #461 of 615 Old 10-17-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

On another note, those signed Dunlavys are back on the Audiogon from that guy "representing" those who sunk Dunlavy to the bottom and drove it out of business faster than I blinked. Inflated prices as always...

Yeah I saw that too, he's been trying to sell those Alethas forever. Even his original MSRP is way inflated, unless the "John Dunlavy Signature Option" was an extra $2.5K I don't care if they're signed by Elvis Presley, $3.5K is way overpriced for some used Alethas.

Some other guy is selling a pair of Athena's in great condition for $1.5K - I wish I lived closer! Crating and shipping would probably cost me another $800 for the damn things...

post #462 of 615 Old 10-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah I could pick up those other Athenas but I have no use for them right now. That's too bad. BTW, did you communicate to the original seller of your SC-V about the buzzing on the drivers? What did he have to say about it? What part of the country did they go to when you sold them?

I pryed at the back plate of the TSW-VI again. I didn't put the screws on since I took them off. It's coming loose on it's own and I'm able to get one side a little free. Unfortunately the padding is sticking to the cabinet and not to the metal plate. I'm not sure if I should allow that to happen as I take it off or should I try to remove it from the cabinet and put it on the metal? Or will it matter if I'm just taking pictures for a short bit??
post #463 of 615 Old 10-17-2010, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yeah I could pick up those other Athenas but I have no use for them right now. That's too bad. BTW, did you communicate to the original seller of your SC-V about the buzzing on the drivers? What did he have to say about it? What part of the country did they go to when you sold them?

Well I'm hoping to eventually move to the east coast, so at that point picking things up myself will be more of an option because it seems like a lot of people are either on the east or west coasts that are selling Dunlavys. Those Athenas are hard for me to ignore, but I know my wife will never go for it unless I sell some other gear to generate the cash.

I did talk to the gentleman who bought my SC-V's, and last we talked he said he was just going to try to re-glue the cones to the rubber surrounds rather than replace the drivers all together. I haven't heard back from him since then so I'm assuming (and hoping) that everything worked well.

post #464 of 615 Old 10-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

no no I meant did you talk to the guy you bought them from and ask why he never mentioned it to you before you purchased them?
post #465 of 615 Old 10-17-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

no no I meant did you talk to the guy you bought them from and ask why he never mentioned it to you before you purchased them?

Oh, no I didn't. I didn't figure it was worth the effort. That's not something you just casually forget when selling a pair of speakers for that much, so either 1) they fell apart during the couple years he wasn't using them and he didn't know, 2) it happened during shipping, in which case he wouldn't know, or 3) he was aware of it but knew they'd go for even less if he advertised it. The guy seemed to be honest the many times I talked to him on the phone, but who knows - at this point it's a "he said/she said" thing which is going to get nobody anywhere.

On a better note, someone in AZ is selling what appears to be a nice pair of SC-III's on eBay for a starting bid of $950 or a Buy It Now of $1500. He said no shipping so I'm guessing only local area people are going to bid - some one might be able to pick them up for the opening bid.

post #466 of 615 Old 03-09-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Couldn't find a Dunlavy owners thread so I thought I would try here.

I have an opportunity to reacquire my old Dunlavy SC-VI's, if I can figure out how to come up with the money, I will also need amps and may have to go on the "cheap" side for a while.

I'm interested in what amps you are using. I used Bryston 7B-ST's when I had them before but sold those as well.
post #467 of 615 Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Couldn't find a Dunlavy owners thread so I thought I would try here.

I have an opportunity to reacquire my old Dunlavy SC-VI's, if I can figure out how to come up with the money, I will also need amps and may have to go on the "cheap" side for a while.

I'm interested in what amps you are using. I used Bryston 7B-ST's when I had them before but sold those as well.

Levinson 332 with my IV-A's makes a very nice match.

Just sold my HRCC center channel speaker. The IV-A's are once again in a music only system and no longer part of the Home Theater setup. Now I'm listening in a nearfield configuration, setup with Dunlavy's recommendations of the distance from speaker to listener being less than the speaker spread. They're nine feet into the room and the imaging and soundstaging have never been better.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #468 of 615 Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
You might want to consider a well designed pro amp (e.g. QSC) to tie you up until you can buy the amp you wish. The well designed ones are excellent. If you can afford a little ove $1k, see if you can find a used Crown Macro Reference. They usually sell around $1.3K (originally closer to $5k), they are beasts and were even well reviewed in the high-end audio press.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #469 of 615 Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Levinson 332 with my IV-A's makes a very nice match.

I had used the ML 333 prior to going to the Bryston, which I much preferred. There normally are all kinds of 7BST and SST's for sale on Audiogon but none now.
post #470 of 615 Old 03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

I'm using two Theta Dreadnaughts as monoblocks.

Cool to get your old SC-VI back! Score!
post #471 of 615 Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM

My IVs are still on the Pass Aleph 3 I bought in '98. Lovely sound, just won't go stupidly loud.

I'd look for a used Adcom as a temporary amp. Nice bonus is that you should be able to sell it for what you paid.
post #472 of 615 Old 03-14-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerSandwich View Post

I'd look for a used Adcom as a temporary amp. Nice bonus is that you should be able to sell it for what you paid.

I agree 100% on recommending an Adcom, and also about getting back what you paid for it. The first time I went to Dunlavy Audio Labs, John Dunlavy was using an Adcom GFA-5800 on the speakers he was playing. His comment was that the Adcom was a great amp, and that he used it a lot.

At some time or another I've powered SC-V's, SC-IV/A's, Sigma's, SC-IV's, Corinthian's/Aletha's, SC-III.A's, SC-III's and a pair of Duntech Sovereign's with a GFA-5800 and a GFA-5802, and can definitely recommend them both!

I also used a Parasound HCA-5250 and a Theta Digital Dreadnaught, and never had a complaint with either of those.
post #473 of 615 Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Hi guys

Just to take a look at, here are the insides of my TSW-VI subs.

I answered my question - the top connectors on the posts are not connected internally at all. Sorry the pics aren't the greatest. I'm not a photographer and my friend did the last sets for me. I couldn't pull the board out that far because the wire was all zip-tied at the point when just as the board was clear, I couldn't pull it out any further. So I can't get undershots unless I cut the wire.

I've got a Theta Enterprise coming for one of these subs. I want to hear if it's an improvement over using a channel on the Dreadnaught. It should be here in about a week.
post #474 of 615 Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

For those of you wishing to read John Dunlavy's posts that were on an audiophile forum years ago, I did a little hunt tonight thinking I better find them and copy and paste them before they disappear completely. While you can still access the original threads if you look hard enough, I found someone who already sorted through all of them and turned them into word documents.

Enjoy reading!

John Dunlavy audio posts 1997.doc 254.5k . file

John Dunlavy audio posts 1998.doc 132.5k . file

John Dunlavy audio posts 1999.doc 92k . file

John Dunlavy audio posts 2000.doc 81k . file

John Dunlavy audio posts 2001.doc 27k . file
post #475 of 615 Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

post #476 of 615 Old 03-16-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:

For those of you wishing to read John Dunlavy's posts that were on an audiophile forum years ago, I did a little hunt tonight thinking I better find them and copy and paste them before they disappear completely. While you can still access the original threads if you look hard enough, I found someone who already sorted through all of them and turned them into word documents.
Enjoy reading!

Great find; I love the word docs that you can save forever!

I've always loved how he'd intelligently dissect people's trash talk whenever they attacked him or his theories! (see Albert Von Schweikert on 9/27/97)

By the way, those are also available at the following links for anyone who doesn't want to download the word docs:
http://gonecatfishin.net/John%20Dunl...sts%201997.htm
http://gonecatfishin.net/John%20Dunl...sts%201998.htm
http://gonecatfishin.net/John%20Dunl...sts%201999.htm
http://gonecatfishin.net/John%20Dunl...sts%202000.htm
http://gonecatfishin.net/John%20Dunl...sts%202001.htm
post #477 of 615 Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

What an amazing guy - with so much integrity!

I since we've derailed this thread from the original topic on Page 2, I think we should ask the moderators to rename this thread as "The Official Ultimate Dunlavy Archives Thread!"

We'll just keep posting in here everything we can find, archive, etc...since that's what it's become!!
post #478 of 615 Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM

Thanks for posting those documents!! I'm having a blast reading through them all.

I think it's great how he so carefully and thoroughly stated his positions. It makes his words timeless.

For anyone interested, go by Wilson Audio's website and watch the videos that Dave Wilson has done. Specifically, parts 3,4, and 5. ( http://www.wilsonaudio.com/company_h...ions_home.html)
Watch those and then read through Dunlavy's words on the very same subjects! It's almost like he's answering from the grave!

As an aside, I've met Dave Wilson several times and really am impressed with his professionalism and dedication to his art. But even he gets caught up in non sequiter and straw man arguments.
post #479 of 615 Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked One View Post

I've always loved how he'd intelligently dissect people's trash talk whenever they attacked him or his theories! (see Albert Von Schweikert on 9/27/97)

I always found the respect people gave AVS curious. From my perspective he only designed one good speaker for the money, the VR4, yet many "audiophiles" seemed to speak well of his designs. Besides the BS he used to explain his "theory", he seemed unable to clearly create a house sound (leading me to conclude the VR4 was more happenstance than philosophy). If one heard the VR3s the VR4s and the top of the line speakers, the voicing was different (with the top of the line not being that impressive). In contrast, designers such as Dunlavy could consistently recreate their house sound regardless of the price range they were operating under. That is, their theory could predictably work regardless of speaker size and cost (granted, some were better than others, but the signature sound remained the same). Now I have not followed any of the AVS designs since those days, so maybe they have improved their design theory since that time.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence, than it does knowledge. Charles Darwin
post #480 of 615 Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS View Post

Now I have not followed any of the AVS designs since those days, so maybe they have improved their design theory since that time.

They have not. I've heard the VR-9 and VR-11 several times in several systems. One consistency remains...
Boring and lifeless.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page