Legacy Whisper Dunlavy SC V opinions - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 01-06-2016, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post
Hey guys,
I am considering selling my Dunlavys after many years of enjoyment.
2 SCIVAs used for fronts
1 HRCC center
4 SCIIIs for rears/sides
2 SCIs for front wides
All speakers are functional. Tweeters have been replaced once on several speakers. Estetically I would rate them 7/10 in general.
What should I ask for them? Should I sell them as a package or individually?
Thanks
I'd sell them seperately for your best value. I sold an HRCC and bought a pair of Aletha's on Audiogon (to back up my IV-A's if they ever crap out, and currently used for rear surrounds). That's been a while, so I can't vouch for Audiogon today. Otherwise, I'd probably do the classifieds at Audio Asylum or Ebay (though high % take) before Craigslist.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjff168 View Post
It may work with near-field setup, but the 6ft height could be an issue for me who is not as tall ;-( Did you sit high in your setup? BTW, I just audited a pair of V two days ago and like them. Have you compared the IV/a to V or VI? What is your opinion? Thanks.

I had a pair of SC-V from 1995 to 1998, and have a pair of SC-VI since 1998, now heavily upgraded (crossover and tweeter). I have heard the SC-IVa.

If you like full-range music, in my opinion, the SC-V is much better than the SC-IVa. The SC-VI is even better than the SC-V, but you need a large room and accoustic treatment.

Cheers,

VPN
Old 03-19-2016, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post
Be careful swapping out the tweeter and I don't recommend using a different model as the key to the Dunlavy performance was the tuning / matching of all the components that was done for each individual speaker at the factory. I had tweeters blow a couple of years back but I had a couple of spare D27TG-35's (was going to use for surround sound speakers to match the Dunlavy mains) and I simply replaced the cone leaving the original basket and magnet (ie. the best chance of the fix still matching the original tuning). I couldn't tell the before / after difference. Dismantling the driver was easy, just a couple of screws on the front of the driver.
Deandob,

Before replacing the tweeters, I heard from several sources this argument of tuning-matching, but since I could change, compare, and if worse go back to the original tweeters, I decided to try. The original tweeters are so inferior to the new Seas Crescendo tweeters, that the improvement was very clear to me to my audiophile friends who heard both types of tweeters. It was a very important improvement regardless of any tuning-matching that may have happened with the original tweeters. Besides the listening tests, I did the measurements and they look great.
Cheers,

VPN
Old 03-24-2016, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I saw someone on Ebay in NJ selling the Dunlavy TSW-V Tower Subwoofer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Speaker-Du...gAAOSwCypWo6yf
Old 03-25-2016, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Asking too much for all. It's a nice speaker system as a whole. I had the chance to hear this at Widescreen Review back in 2004. Same system: 5 SC-V and 2 TSW-V.
Price is per piece. Who is he kidding?
Old 03-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Michael Osadciw's how did the 2 TSW-V blend in with the Dunlavy V speakers?
I know the Dunlavy V were known for its tight extended bass?
I'm thinking the TSW-V would have been better for the Dunlavy 1V or 1VA for added bass extention.

Last edited by Matthew Ridgway; 03-26-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Wonderfully, if I recall correctly. Then again, I was younger and wasn't as fine tuned as I am today. But I believe it was a state of the art system. The Dunlavy SCV is great for bass, but it won't create the output needed or expected for LFE. I use a pair of TSW-VI with a pair of SC-IV/a and the bass is extremely tight, powerful, and scary!
Old 03-26-2016, 08:05 PM

WOW, you got Dunlavy 1VA with pair of SC-IV/a.
That system must sound amazing.
What amp or mono amps are you using?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:36 AM

You know what speakers i remembered kind of looked like a more compact Dunlavy speakers was the Snell Type C speakers. But ofcourse the Snell C didn't have the imaging and soundstage of the Dunlavy speakers.
Here's pic of the Snell Type C speakers. Look how they did the MTM part of the speakers. That looks exactly how Dunlavy did it.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...images/811953/

Last edited by Matthew Ridgway; 03-29-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, everyone

A pair of SC-Vs has come onto the market near me, but there seem to be some cosmetic issues with them. Specifically, the oak veneer seems to be lifting on the sides of the speakers. I have heard of this happening to other Dunlavys but, fortunately, it hasn't happened to any of mine. What causes this and can they be repaired without a lot of work? This particular pair is serial number 290A/B. Any idea when they were manufactured? They do have the cone upper-mids.

Are there any other things I should ask the seller or weaknesses I should look out for? He says that they sound just fine.

BTW, he is asking $4000, but in light of the veneer problem, does this seem reasonable keeping in mind I will have to move them about 400 miles? Any other thoughts will be much appreciated.

Lastly, my dedicated room is about 17 x 22 x 8. Is this room big enough for them or should I stick with my SC-IVs?

Best wishes to all,

Eurasian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement