Your "World's Best Audio System" - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OB, I know for a fact that Wilson Audio uses Monster Cable car audio wire in their bass cabinets, does that sound like "Authentic Excellence" to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTFRED View Post

OB, I know for a fact that Wilson Audio uses Monster Cable car audio wire in their bass cabinets, does that sound like "Authentic Excellence" to you?

well first of all you are wrong...they are from Transparent audio and secondly you woulld be the first to tell me that it doesn't matter what cable one uses because there is no difference. So once again you are blowing major methane from your rear end and looking to create argument from someone who doesn't have a clue
post #183 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneobgyn View Post

well first of all you are wrong...they are from Transparent audio and secondly you woulld be the first to tell me that it doesn't matter what cable one uses because there is no difference. So once again you are blowing major methane from your rear end and looking to create argument from someone who doesn't have a clue

OK, thats fine, do us all a favor, call your friends in Utah tomorrow and ask them what brand of speaker cables they use in their bass cabinets. Post what they say here. Then we will see who is blowing smoke........
post #184 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Guys, for this thread to be useful and welcoming it must stay on topic and remain good natured. Please, let's stay civil and keep to the topic: suggestions and discussion of the gear that might be suitable for my column. Thanks.

Jeffrey W. Fritz
Editor-in-Chief
SoundStage! Network
www.soundstagenetwork.com
post #185 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Fritz View Post

Guys, for this thread to be useful and welcoming it must stay on topic and remain good natured. Please, let's stay civil and keep to the topic: suggestions and discussion of the gear that might be suitable for my column. Thanks.

Well you got my vote
post #186 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry, it would just be nice to hear about something besides Wilson for a change. Unless of course, you're going to do a winner takes all, king of the hill, round robin A/B test (especially a blind or semi-blind one), which I think would be interesting. It would also be interesting for you to do a high-end test of commercial studio speakers.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard of any new digital active speakers coming out for home use?

John
post #187 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How about this new speaker - http://www.deqx.com/news2.php

John
post #188 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

TWBAS Update:
I am planning to make the system available to readers and AVS members for a period of time after the set-up event. Please give me your thoughts on this. A couple of guys have expressed some interest, both on the forum and in private. If there is REAL interest in coming here perhaps we can plan a weekend for the guys in this thread. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jeff, first of all, good job! it's nice to get reinvigorated about the "high end". If you get a pair of Arrakis or the JBL DD66000 or a few others then I'd certainly make the trip from the great white north!

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #189 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

having done first hand comparison on the X2 Series l and series ll in my system I can tell you that the experience is the same. This is not a subtle difference but extraordinary to the point that 8 men yesterday got waylayed due to listening to this speaker.

For me the choice is simple...X-2 series ll without hesitation.

I thought you had to return the speakers to have them upgraded to Series 2, and you didn't want to do that? What changed your mind?

I must say I'm a bit puzzled when a speaker comes out that is "the best we know how to make" or whatever, and then it is superceded a short time later with a completely different sound. Oh well, it keeps life interesting, and the wallet empty.

Design by Rives...dollars by The Bogg

Click for my build thread
post #190 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM

The Absoulute Sound already has the X2 II on the front page and long writeup. How about these SOTA speakers and Amps.

Golmund Epilogue 3

Nola Grand Reference IV.1
Heard the older version at CES a few years ago. Sweet.

Lansche No.8

Acapella Triolon Excaliburs

What the hell, lets see it again

Forgot the name. Nicefront horns from Japan.

Western electric 27A monoblocks

Gryphon Colosseum

ML No,53
Love the No.33's size and sound. This should be a winner.

The Sovereign Monaurals

Wavestream Kinetics V8.
I have his older MFA mono's these are good-er

Rank Cocept Premier II
My Yamamoto A 08S should equal this hah!
Do the Germans make better amps than the Russians?

post #191 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bogg View Post

I thought you had to return the speakers to have them upgraded to Series 2, and you didn't want to do that? What changed your mind?

I must say I'm a bit puzzled when a speaker comes out that is "the best we know how to make" or whatever, and then it is superceded a short time later with a completely different sound. Oh well, it keeps life interesting, and the wallet empty.

no puzzle...I got new ones

both were here for several days together. I had 16 huge crates in my garage with a total weight of 4400 lbs
post #192 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:

both were here for several days together. I had 16 huge crates in my garage with a total weight of 4400 lbs

Congrats on your upgraded new toy. You need to write up and let us know what heavenly sounds come out of SET on X2II. Do FIM K2, HRx, xrcd24...

Now you need to upgrade from that old SL55 to the AMG SL63.

cheers
post #193 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I agree. Really strange.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
post #194 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 10:34 PM

when I say that I got new ones, they are upgraded to Series ll but much newer (less than one year young) than mine and with a matching WATCH Center. No down time and a nicer color. It worked out just fine.
post #195 of 1215 Old 10-26-2008, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

when I say that I got new ones, they are upgraded to Series ll but much newer (less than one year young) than mine and with a matching WATCH Center. No down time and a nicer color. It worked out just fine.

OB, congrats and many years enjoyment (until the next upgrade, which may be a few years knowing you. HA!)

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #196 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi

For speakers I would certainly include the Acapella Excalibur in a search for Best of Audio system in the world. The Wilson Audio X-2 should be included the X-2 without a doubt and also the Magico M6 simply because the Mini is so great in what it can do... a full range sibling of the Magico Mini should be taken VERY seriously... I was also blown away by the sound from the Von Schweikert (VR7?) a friend of mine recently acquired, so one of the higher echelon VRs, the 9, 10 or 11 should be IMO included as well.
I have settled for many years now on a range of electronics I find superlative, listening sessions after listening sessions: The Burmester Electronics, they are VERY pricey even by High End standards but superlative to a fault , reliable , well made and with this company a steadiness rare in High End: Their top of the line is an iteration of a preamp designed first in 1980!!!! I believe the original can be upgraded version of this preamp can be upgraded to the latest series V !!! that is unheard of in the High End.
If tubes is your cup of tea than Jadis should be in the lineup and Lamm AND Atmashpere and Joule Electra but also sensibly priced gems like the Hurricanes amps

I do see this endeavor as been exceedingly difficult if only for logistics reasons. Testing all these superlative components will take several weeks of preparation and maybe several months of testing and listening sessions. Kudos to you Jeff for undertaking this moumental task.

Frantz
post #197 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:

Mazel Tov, OB I hope they bring you much happiness. What color did you get?? I hope you will post some pics when time permits.
post #198 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Mazel Tov, OB I hope they bring you much happiness. What color did you get?? I hope you will post some pics when time permits.

Black Almondine for both the X-2 series ll and WATCH center....each has Parchment colored grill cloths
post #199 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The Bogg,

What is surprising about that? It happens ALL the time.

I attended a conference last week on computational physics. A couple years ago, the
"best we know how to make" supercomputer was LLNL's Blue Gene/L at 0.5 Petaflops.

Currently LANL has the "best we know how to make" supercomputer; the Roadrunner;
at about 1.0 Petaflops.

In a couple years, LLNL will have a new supercomputer currently in the acquisition
process called Sequoia; which will be 20 Petaflops. The state of the art marches on...

The impetus for the X-2 Series II was Dave Wilson's visit to the Musikverein in Vienna,
one of the best concert halls in the world. In Dave's opinion, the sound of this hall could
not be equalled even with the X-2 Series i; which sent Dave back to the drawing board
to modify the X-2. It appears like Dave Wilson succeeded in improving an already
great product.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist
post #200 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

These are among the best speakers I've heard:

http://www.ascendo.de/english/frameSW.htm
post #201 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's surprising because there hasn't been any major changes, just small refinements at best, basically fixing what was wrong in the first place, rather than charting new ground.

BTW, Morbius, for someone who accuses me of getting my knowledge from cut sheets instead of 15+ years of experience, your comments were basically a recitation of Wilson's press release.

John
post #202 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 AM

Yeah, Dave decided to use a midrange driver that can be found in many 5000 dollar speakers and also fixed a tweeter that had a slight problem they had to create a special term for, and finally they switched from the Transparent cables they were using to Monster Cable car audio wire in their bass cabinets. Why change out that wire? Is it because it is cheaper or is it because it "sounds better"? After making these major changes, they then tell their fan base, you have to have this new speaker, its the best ever. Oh yeah, it cost 20K more.
post #203 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 AM

No one in the industry revamps their speaker line faster than Wilson Audio. Their wealthy fan base has more money than they do sense, thats how Wilson gets away with it.
post #204 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:

No one in the industry revamps their speaker line faster than Wilson Audio. Their wealthy fan base has more money than they do sense, thats how Wilson gets away with it.

Fred has someone been pi$$ing in your cereal?

First off that is why he is so successful. If memory serves me your NHT speakers are no longer in production. Talk about fixing something
post #205 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

OK, let's please get back on track again. I have more than a handful of worthy speaker suggestions but very little in the way of state-of-the-art digital. I'd like to hear some opinions as to what CD, SACD, music server and DAC combos you guys think fit the bill.

Jeffrey W. Fritz
Editor-in-Chief
SoundStage! Network
www.soundstagenetwork.com
post #206 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, let's please get back on track again. I have more than a handful of worthy speaker suggestions but very little in the way of state-of-the-art digital. I'd like to hear some opinions as to what CD, SACD, music server and DAC combos you guys think fit the bill.

Jeff, I am sure you will find more SOTA players to use but as far as streaming devices I really think the Modwright Transporter deserves a look. I happily replaced an Esoteric player for it.

http://www.modwright.com/pdf/TransporterMusicServer.pdf

6moons did a review of it and favored it over some expensive competition:
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/modwr...ansporter.html
post #207 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

they switched from the Transparent cables they were using to Monster Cable car audio wire in their bass cabinets. Why change out that wire? Is it because it is cheaper or is it because it "sounds better"?

in the other thread, you inferred that you thought you saw monster wiring internally in only a bass cabinet on a watt puppy. (i add "thought you" as many people have "seen" things that they did not actually see)

this has now transferred to all models from wilson?

usually to make such a blanket proclamation, one would need just a wee bit more "proof/information"

Proud Daddy to Anastasia and Christopher.
Born October 26 2005.

Ob was the delivery doc.

Since i cannot rant on a soapbox in the town square...
http://commonsensehasdied.blogspot.com/
post #208 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I've been happy with my Marantz DV9600 for SACD and stereo DVD-A playback. I currently plan on using the Meridian 808.2i for CD playback.
post #209 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post

The Bogg,

What is surprising about that? It happens ALL the time.

I attended a conference last week on computational physics. A couple years ago, the
"best we know how to make" supercomputer was LLNL's Blue Gene/L at 0.5 Petaflops.

Currently LANL has the "best we know how to make" supercomputer; the Roadrunner;
at about 1.0 Petaflops.

In a couple years, LLNL will have a new supercomputer currently in the acquisition
process called Sequoia; which will be 20 Petaflops. The state of the art marches on...

The impetus for the X-2 Series II was Dave Wilson's visit to the Musikverein in Vienna,
one of the best concert halls in the world. In Dave's opinion, the sound of this hall could
not be equalled even with the X-2 Series i; which sent Dave back to the drawing board
to modify the X-2. It appears like Dave Wilson succeeded in improving an already
great product.

1. There is quite a difference between the speed at which computer processors continue to increase versus the technology in speakers.

2. It is pretty funny to say that what was previously supposed to be the best speaker in the world sounds broken after an upgrade. Especially since I suspect that will be what they say when the series 3 comes out.

3. I always get a kick out of Wilson marketing, it is very good, but I would think as a physicist you would give it a skeptical look. So he visited a concert hall, and the "sound of the hall" could not be equaled by the X2 version one, and that sent him back to the drawing board? lol. do they now sound better than the hall ;-)? Which hall we he visit to receive an epiphany to create the series 3? Or perhaps a small jazz club will do it? Na, it'll be a hall .
post #210 of 1215 Old 10-27-2008, 02:23 PM

I have purposely tried to avoid much of the hyperbole and adjectives to describe this speaker for fear of posts such as that of QQQ.

Suffice it to say, this is not a lateral change but rather one that goes higher up on the ladder
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page