Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IO Gear makes HDMI 1.3 splitters. ...
Not sure to go with or without the Radiance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boy it sure would be nice if Sim2 could offer an optional lower wattage bulb for this PJ.

That would increase it's market share to those who are screen width/room width challenged and avoid any potential negatives associated with special screen materials and add on filters.

I may just give up and go with an in theater RS20 rather than a PJ booth PJ. Not that there's anything wrong with that
post #153 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I wonder how many hours were on the bulb of the one I saw at CES? It wasn't a very big screen, and it sure didn't seem too bright to me. It was just right! My screens would start out around 38 foot lamberts !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #154 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Some customers in my local dealer reported issues with the "old" C3X 1080 set to the lowest lamp brightness, specifically a flickering picture.

I recall Sim saying it was a common issue with the lamp at the lowest power setting. Sim told me recently that this would not be a factor with the new lamp technology in the Lumis.

Any one ever experience this?

Sean
post #155 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 AM

Potential non issue if they offer a lower wattage bulb option.

300 watts for the well endowed.

200 watts for the less fortunate.
post #156 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraalphahotel View Post

Some customers in my local dealer reported issues with the "old" C3X 1080 set to the lowest lamp brightness, specifically a flickering picture.

I recall Sim saying it was a common issue with the lamp at the lowest power setting. Sim told me recently that this would not be a factor with the new lamp technology in the Lumis.

Sean

Its a lamp issue called arc jump or arc wander. Its nothing to do with the actual PJ per se.

Its caused by the arc striking in a different position and then jumping or wandering between the strike points. It can be minimized by running on high lamp for a while initially to establish a solid strike point.

Its not an issue with modulated lamps.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #157 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the current MSRP for the HOST version?
post #158 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 139
This HOST.

1. What could it possibly doing where it is 'NEEDED" for the PJ. Could somebody explain? It simply looks like a switcher.. (are one of the control ports on the Host connected to the projector - is this why it is 'needed')?

2. Does the Host act as a switcher or does it do video processing?

3. Does the projecter even have an internal HDMI port? A second DVI port?

Thanks!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #159 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Producing a non HOST version MAY not be that straight forward. Im not saying that is definitely the case, but its a possibility.Here's, potentially, why....

Part of the problem with the C3X1080 was performance limitations due to lack of space inside the box, partly due to the larger chips. This was as a result of the insistence of sticking with the C3X footprint. If the Lumis is physically making use of the increased space available, that may prevent a non host unit from being practical.

Does the Lumis not have the folded light path of the 1080? If it is taking advantage of the extra space, perhaps the optics are improved due to this, not to mention cooling, and noise improvements.

Phil
post #160 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Does the Host act as a switcher or does it do video processing?

I believe it does both.

Quote:
Does the Lumis not have the folded light path of the 1080? If it is taking advantage of the extra space, perhaps the optics are improved due to this, not to mention cooling, and noise improvements.

If I recall correctly, the SIM guys at CES said it was taking advantage of the extra space. It is a very quiet projector.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #161 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

This HOST.

1. What could it possibly doing where it is 'NEEDED" for the PJ. Could somebody explain? It simply looks like a switcher.. (are one of the control ports on the Host connected to the projector - is this why it is 'needed')?

2. Does the Host act as a switcher or does it do video processing?

3. Does the projecter even have an internal HDMI port? A second DVI port?

Thanks!

Maybe you missed earlier post #146

The HOST isnt an add on unit, it actually part of the PJ. The PJ has been split into 2 parts. Most of the electronics have been removed and remoted from the optical unit.

The part that you are referring to as the "projector" is actually only half of the projector. It has most of its internals missing, as they are in the HOST unit.

The HOST unit connects to the PJ by a fiber cable, that can be upto 750 feet. I will be very glad of that facility as i will be running audio and video distribution throughout the house from an equipment room that is a fair distance from the Lumis' location.

post #162 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post

IIRC, this was discussed as one of the benefits of moving the internals to the HOST.

Jim
post #163 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The HOST isnt an add on unit, it actually part of the PJ. The PJ has been split into 2 parts. Most of the electronics have been removed and remoted from the optical unit.

The part that you are referring to as the "projector" is actually only half of the projector. It has most of its internals missing, as they are in the HOST unit.

The HOST unit connects to the PJ by a fiber cable, that can be upto 750 feet. I will be very glad of that facility as i will be running audio and video distribution throughout the house from an equipment room that is a fair distance from the Lumis' location.

Interesting, no wonder it's so compact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

A comment on contrast. We measured "over" 20k yesterday but my projector lies behind a wall firing through a port hole. Jason could not optimize his light meter properly to maximize the measurement. It is much higher.
I have the MicroSpec Spectroradiometer which I have to load the latest software I just have not had the time but this will give superior reading to Jason's method.

Wow! Finally something that delivers high on/off and ANSI. The complete package. No doubt the quality control will be very good so unit to unit variation isn't an issue. This sounds like a reference piece to design a HT around.

post #164 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Got it and understand it. Thanks, CM.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #165 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Got it and understand it. Thanks, CM.

No problem. The first time I saw a HOST unit I had a few WTF moments

One good thing is that it isn't new, so the whole HOST idea is fairly mature.

post #166 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I luv my C3X 1080 and won't be upgrading to the new Lumis - only due to cost considerations of course.

Folks who criticized the C3X 1080, that Sim2 should design the internals into a new case
with improved performance - apparently Sim2 listened and did this. WOW!#@@

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #167 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraalphahotel View Post

Sean

I keep mine on lowest lamp, have over 300 hours on it and have never seen any flickering -- or any other issue.
post #168 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I had a few small episodes of bulb flicker on my 720, but not my 1080

Phil
post #169 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbeck View Post

I keep mine on lowest lamp, have over 300 hours on it and have never seen any flickering -- or any other issue.

Me, too, usually 200 for 16:9 and 210 or 220 for 2:35. 8" wide for 16:9.
128" wide for 2:35. 1.3 gain Stewart Studiotek.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:

post #170 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mine will flicker at 200 after a while - and if I recall correctly, running it higher for a while cures the problem. I currently run at 220 with no flickering whatsoever.
post #171 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I leave mine on torch all the time I like being able to read the paper when I'm watching movies.Also it saves battery power on my lighted remote.

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #172 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by art sonneborn View Post

i leave mine on torch all the time i like being able to read the paper when i'm watching movies.also it saves battery power on my lighted remote.

Art

lol
post #173 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Very nice picture and quiet. Why one would buy the next level up is beyond me. This rig is the real deal.

The video server outfit had the same demo as CEDIA no additional content. It was a semi flat chested hottie in a white pant suit singing, Mandy Moore??

I stumbled accros the PD room. When I inquired about Wolf being at the show one guy almost came (sorry a AVN moment) before he could tell me that division (of whomever they were part of) has been shut down for a month. They had a single chip on display for $30K as I recall. Colors looked flat and the blacks were off to my eye but they thought it was film like...

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #174 of 522 Old 01-13-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I also thought the Lumis was a great PJ at CES, Sim2 has a winner here. I spent about an hour there and they let me play with it, so I took the liberty of pausing it to take some screenshots for those that want to see them they are in the link provided amongst other PJ's. Also note the new Optoma which also delivers an outstanding picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34271874@N05/

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it

post #175 of 522 Old 01-14-2009, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It's great to be excited about DLP again.

I have a call in to a dealer to see one of these but he is not sure when he will get one in.

I reiterate Ohlson's request about on/off with Dynamic Black disabled. It is still recommended that this feature should not be engaged, correct?

Affable Nitwit
post #176 of 522 Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

I reiterate Ohlson's request about on/off with Dynamic Black disabled. It is still recommended that this feature should not be engaged, correct?

I look forward to this as well.

I'm hoping we're not back down under 10k when disabled.
post #177 of 522 Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

I look forward to this as well.

I'm hoping we're not back down under 10k when disabled.

Ian, It may be, if the iris has had to be opened for the light output. The point may be moot anyway.

It appears with this combination of technologies, that the dynamic system is totally transparent.

I've never been a DI fan, but this is certainly not a normal DI implementation at all.

I should have more to post soon.

post #178 of 522 Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 AM

Can someone confirm Chris Dallas's CES observation on his flickr pic link, that the new Lumis was projecting on a 109" wide 2.35:1 screen?

I am assuming it was the same material Sim2 used at Cedia-Stewart Studiotec g3 1.3 gain non AT?
post #179 of 522 Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Question: why would one want to disable dynamic black anyway?
post #180 of 522 Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

question to C3X 1080 owners: have you noticed digital/dlp noise in some scenes of Transformers hd dvd ?
in the dark blues especially.
what settings do you have ?
i'm in full lamp 250, iris open, birgthness 51 contrast 65 (which influences punch brigthness screen is 400cm scope wide), color 54, gamma trying user 2.2, color spectrum EBU, temp D75.
sce: onkyo hd dvd player 805.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page