AVS Forum banner

Who has auditioned the Kharma Grand Exquisite 7.1 Cinema Package?

52K views 312 replies 37 participants last post by  JapanDave 
#1 ·
As we try to address the Torus based cinema rooms I have been looking for a more well rounded super high end cinema and surround offering than Dynaudio for several reasons, mainly the lack of a dedicated Confidence or Evidence Surround Speaker, the confidence 1 is ridiculously deep for side channel applications, and for years I have been asking them to build an Esotar based.

This system seems to have EVERYTHING I am looking for...

http://www.kharma.com/_images/review...io_02_back.jpg

D'appolito monoliths to flank the Torus without obnoxious side firing woofers that would excite the screen (read Arakis),this proven Torus friendly configuration can be driven with normal amplifiers, instead of the array systems that require a dedicated 7.4 channel processor probably inferior to the new TACT; D'appolito side channels that are also outfitted by my favorite type of tweeter the Diamond Tweeter (as evidenced in the top B&W's) (THE DIAMOND TWEETER REHABILITATED B&W from many years of being a Crack Whore on the street).

The sides are gorgeous and priced suitable for it's inclusion in a Moon Of Saturn. They are self powered like the center channel but only 9 inches deep, this is the form factor that is needed for on wall side surrounds.

So has anyone ever heard this system? Cause I'd like it for a 12 channel system.

See less See more
#252 ·
I could not help but think that they will next come with a Grand Grand Grand Exquisite that has now Diamond woofers, 3dB more output and cost 1.5 times more... I sincerely can understand Coldmachine comment on "Audiophiles" being seen as "Gullible Douchebags"

#255 ·
In the price stratosphere it's not the product anymore, but to sell an idea or a certain feeling. And it's to have and own things others don't. This we should not question at all. It's human nature and only food for endless discussions. But when somebody comes around and tells he has one of these babies in a modern living room with the poorest accoustics and beleaves he's got the best system in the world, because the price tag implies this to him, then it's just fair to say, it's not....not by far.

Personally I take 30K for speakers and the other 230K for an optimized room, with 0,3 sec in decay also as much as possible down below 80Hz

#256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrantzM /forum/post/15794011

I could not help but think that they will next come with a Grand Grand Grand Exquisite that has now Diamond woofers, 3dB more output and cost 1.5 times more... I sincerely can understand Coldmachine comment on "Audiophiles" being seen as "Gullible Douchebags"

At least in this case, the extra money spent presumably has some tangible result in for form of higher power-handling, at least for the upgraded drivers. Too often, the "Gullible Douchebags" spend money on things that may not have any true performance benefit whatsoever.

OT, here is a little video about people's presumption that paying more means getting something in return:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfPAj...eature=related

...drag the slider to about the 5 minute mark to see an interesting test

#258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 /forum/post/15794624

I don't see the fascination with diamond elements. Sound more like "diamond are exclusive" and "hard as hell", well why not market speakers with that instead of the soundquality.

Well, diamond doesn't ring very much. I'm all for vapor deposited carbon, which is really what it is, but not as a marketing thing. There's no reason that the cones should cost as much as claimed.

One of the things that really drives me nuts is cones with 'high tensile strength'. Well, low tensile strength is kinda what gives cones some self damping. High tensile strength, such as a rope has, isn't terribly useful. If anything, it forces to the cone to undulate more. Rigidity and/or self-damping are much more important.

Now, if someone could make a diamond aerogel, that would be the shiite............

#261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by syswei /forum/post/15794738

At least in this case, the extra money spent presumably has some tangible result in for form of higher power-handling, at least for the upgraded drivers. Too often, the "Gullible Douchebags" spend money on things that may not have any true performance benefit whatsoever.

"The internal wiring will be on a level never used before."

Now I know it'll be worth all the additional costs

Made out of something unique, perhaps gold melted and drawn into wire from the jewelry of former, now bankrupt clients?

#263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 /forum/post/15798133

"The internal wiring will be on a level never used before."

Now I know it'll be worth all the additional costs

Made out of something unique, perhaps gold melted and drawn into wire from the jewelry of former, now bankrupt clients?

Bigbrother, they already were using gold/silver internal wiring: http://www.kharma.com/cables/kharma_...troduction.php

#264 ·
#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 /forum/post/15835380

I had the chance to listen to Kharma Exquisite Mini during the weekend, and that was not a fun experience. Thin sounding, bad focus and just...not good, IMO.

But, but..... they say this....... "The Kharma Mini Exquisite is a very energetic speaker."

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 /forum/post/15835380

I had the chance to listen to Kharma Exquisite Mini during the weekend, and that was not a fun experience. Thin sounding, bad focus and just...not good, IMO.

C'mon, didn't you happen to notice the cryogenically treated ceramic cable lifters?

#275 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman /forum/post/15837083

Any speaker company that advertises that it uses Monster cable for its internal wiring is suspect.

Why would that be? A little marketing, perhaps, but a lot of speaker engineers would tell you there's absolutely no use in putting anything but regular speaker wire in there. What's really suspect is using very expensive wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.