Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
[quote=thebland;16241638]New models. Not the line.[/QUOTE

Any word on the new model other than rebadged Lumis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1962 Old 04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Peer
I'm thinking that I'm not going to find the Lumis too bright on my 118" wide screen - should have around 33 foot lamberts with the numbers I've seen and with the manual iris closed down.

Assuming you mean 118" 2.37. My concern is mainly for 1.78:1 material. Be a bright SOB for a 50" tall screen.

True but since my 106" wide 1.78:1 screen is more or less a unity gain screen and my 2.35:1 screen is a 1.25 gain Firehawk G3, and sinceI zoom rather than use a lens, both screens spec. at the exact same brightness ( I planned it that way )!!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #363 of 1962 Old 04-10-2009, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We took down an old C3X and received the new Lumis today.

Having trouble with the 12 volt trigger connection!! It appears to be a different connector setup then the old C3X.

We do not know the model # of the connector or cable if there is one and SIM DID NOT PROVIDE!!

HELP!!
post #364 of 1962 Old 04-10-2009, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercitylad View Post

We took down an old C3X and received the new Lumis today.

Having trouble with the 12 volt trigger connection!! It appears to be a different connector setup then the old C3X.

We do not know the model # of the connector or cable if there is one and SIM DID NOT PROVIDE!!

HELP!!

There are supposed to be some adapters in the box, but mine did not have any either. I am waiting for some from Sim2. Meanwhile, I was able to rig something with some bare wires.
post #365 of 1962 Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Cal87 is correct. Have the dealer contact Sim2 and ask for the adaptors (12v). We were told they were "in the box," but they were not. I made a call and support is sending them to me.

Jim
post #366 of 1962 Old 04-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks, I will call my dealer on Monday.
post #367 of 1962 Old 04-10-2009, 07:58 PM

The Lumis is definitely louder than my old C3X. I am wondering if I could run a soundproof 5 Ft. channel or conduit away from the exhaust side of the Lumis to reduce the fan noise.
post #368 of 1962 Old 04-11-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have a link for the Lumis RS-232 document or have it in digital form? Please PM me if you can e-mail it.
post #369 of 1962 Old 04-11-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 45
We gave up making the triggers work from the projector ... we off loaded the task to the Crestron.

I have the TCP/IP and RS232 data.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #370 of 1962 Old 04-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
For some of you who had the C3X 1080 and now have the Lumis what are some of the improvements that make you happy about your decision to upgrade? Thanks Greg
post #371 of 1962 Old 04-12-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post

I just got a pm from someone which, he brought up an interesting idea about " deep cleaning of the light engine" . why would Sim2 deep clean the light engine if it's housed in a enclosed case. No deep cleaning in needed in this case and why was it done.
I just want to make one point clear is , I have no bad feeling against Sim2 and the people that work there. Even if I had opened the box and listen for a working fan I wouldn't discovered the light engine issue until the PJ was back up in the ceiling.
When you spent that much cash to buy a top of the line PJ and things go wrong, you expect to get taken care of by a well known company. To me, I was left out to dry by Sim2.
I agree with all you lawyers, I should have installed the PJ fully after it was fixed and checked for problem. I guess I trusted Sim2 to much and left my guards down.

That's too bad, sorry to hear that.

Keep on them & insist there was no damage to that box therefore the shipper wouldn't have ever covered it under insurance...they must do something to help if they care about you as a customer..after all, you sent it in for other reasons.

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #372 of 1962 Old 04-12-2009, 07:41 PM

Congrats, looks bangin.
post #373 of 1962 Old 04-12-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Questions regarding Lumis:

1) I assume the C3X 1080 mounting plate will not work with the Lumis. Assuming that is correct, what mounting plates are best for the Lumis? Has Chief come out with he backplate specific for the Lumis?

2) For the 11.5' wide, 2.35 screen: would you stick with the Studiotek 1.3 gain, or, would you move to a matte 1.0? (this is a non-perf application).
post #374 of 1962 Old 04-12-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

2) For the 11.5' wide, 2.35 screen: would you stick with the Studiotek 1.3 gain, or, would you move to a matte 1.0? (this is a non-perf application).

Gain is there for a reason and with all gain comes side effects. That size screen needs no gain for this device IMO.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #375 of 1962 Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I was thinking about going to a 1.0 matte... I know that someday, Art, would also like to move to a Matte screen... assuming there will be a supercharged, dual bulb, HT6000 with dynamic iris and host

I hear nice things about the firehawk, but I think if I were to move from the 1.3 Studiotek, it would be for a matte 1.0 gain... Only problem is that I have a Cine-w curved frame: I think there is going to be an issue of light reflecting from the curved sides back to the other side. I have noticed this effect on the studiotek, but need to take the time to look into this effect. Any other thoughts on going from the studiotek to matte?

139" x 59" is my screen size (11.5' wide), I need to have this discussion about matte 1.0 on the curved cine-w, and reflection from the curved ends on to each other... Does anyone not use the dynamic iris setting and just use the iris on closed-fixed? I'm just wondering with so many lumens to spare, how I can best take advantage (closed iris, 1.0 matte screen, etc....)

Need to order the correct mounting plate also... have the lateral shift braket and stuff, just need the correct backplate for the projector I guess... assuming Chief finally came out with it...
post #376 of 1962 Old 04-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Art, What would be the advantages of going from a Studiotec 1.3 to a Matt 1.0?
post #377 of 1962 Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercitylad View Post

Art, What would be the advantages of going from a Studiotec 1.3 to a Matt 1.0?

As fine as it is, the surface the Studiotek has some sparklies. A matte finish does not.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #378 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post

For some of you who had the C3X 1080 and now have the Lumis what are some of the improvements that make you happy about your decision to upgrade? Thanks Greg

Well, for me the obvious improvementis the extra slam that having a giant plasma level of brightness provides (I measured 1900 lumens non D65) and a close second is the improved contrast and blacks over the 1080 that Dynamic black brings to the parduu. Not just in richer inkier blacks but what perceptually accomplish better color saturation than what I recall on the 1080.

For some reason the ANSI which is purportedly measuring (I think) at a record level for a consumer projector did not jump out at me on most material as much as I expected subjectively but on some professional source material can transform to some staggeringly mind boggling effects. There is a pro demo piece called a night in the milky way that I think Panasonic put out to demo their plasmas that has a moving starfield coming at you and it's almost as though that ANSI can turn it into a 3D effect with that starfield extending into the room. I had seen this through the JVC RS20 in my room and while that was jaw dropping, as I think high contrast and depth of field (MTF) are critical to reproducing this properly, the Lumis was in a different league. True eye candy and a torture test for correct setup if you can find this demo piece and download it onto your PS3.
post #379 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I hear nice things about the firehawk, but I think if I were to move from the 1.3 Studiotek, it would be for a matte 1.0 gain... Only problem is that I have a Cine-w curved frame: I think there is going to be an issue of light reflecting from the curved sides back to the other side. I have noticed this effect on the studiotek, but need to take the time to look into this effect. Any other thoughts on going from the studiotek to matte?

I wouldn't use the Firehawk with the Lumis. Not only do you compromise color accuracy but the brightness of the Lumis will intensify the sparklies.

Quote:

139" x 59" is my screen size (11.5' wide), I need to have this discussion about matte 1.0 on the curved cine-w, and reflection from the curved ends on to each other... Does anyone not use the dynamic iris setting and just use the iris on closed-fixed? I'm just wondering with so many lumens to spare, how I can best take advantage (closed iris, 1.0 matte screen, etc....)

I'd also be interested to know if anyone else is not using Dynamic Black. It could be that the Lumis I saw was defective, but it drove me nuts when engaged (visible brightness pumping etc). I found the projector did a fairly good job with it disengaged though.
post #380 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

I wouldn't use the Firehawk with the Lumis. Not only do you compromise color accuracy but the brightness of the Lumis will intensify the sparklies.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone else is not using Dynamic Black. It could be that the Lumis I saw was defective, but it drove me nuts when engaged (visible brightness pumping etc). I found the projector did a fairly good job with it disengaged though.

I couldn't agree more with Ian. I'll take it a step further and I'd also not go with Studiotek either. I'm using the G3 and screen surface texture as well as flaws are magnified hugely. I'm not sure what the other options are but the matte or other screen manufacturer with this pro seems like the right direction to explore.
post #381 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Screens.

Nothing is perfect because a screen is merely a reflector of light.

Ideally, with room surfaces far away from the screen and say a 14 ft wide 2.35, a unity gain screen such as the Stewart Snowmatt would be ideal assuming what ft lamberts you get is enough for you. With 1900 Lumens, that would give you 23 ft lamberts. Enough Too much? What if you want 40 ft lamberts or 60 ft lamberts or is the current room standard what you want to emulate. Hell no! Turn them F speakers up. Whatever you want but with a 1.0 you might need a different projector than the Lumis.

What about the reference black level? Maybe a gain of less than one might be right for you. Say a 0.9 like the Da-lite Affinity might be right. Colors can be made perfect, people who say no negative gain screen will handle colors correctly are just plain wrong. The color man himself, Joe Kane uses a negative gain screen for his traveling show 54 x 96 and his Samsung. Remeber all this DLP machine have a relatively low natve on\\off and a relatively high ref blk level. But with a big screen llike our example, you should be fine at 1.0

A reflector. Reflects. Ideally uniformally. Buy duh. Your walls will usually be rather close (within a few feet, say less than 10) of the screen edge. With a unity gain screen reflecting perfectly the walls will light up. Hell everything lights up. We issue black flannel pajamas for guests in my HT. If pretty women are coming we descretely ask them to wear black under garments in case things get carried away. Don`t want reflections from anything to hit that screen.

OK. ou`ve got your lighht cannon reflecting everywhere and bouncing light back to the screen. Black Pit, far surfaces great. Don`t have it Maybe you want a more directional screen (read gain) or maybe you want a negative gain to cut down on the light. Of course there are other ways of cutting down on the light.

Rambling. You better have the right room before you go to a high quality unity gain screen. BTW I am going to switch from Studeotec 130 myself. Now that I have left the dark side (FP CRT) I have lumens to spare with almost any bulb projector and my 54 x 96. I am happy with 12 to 14 ft lamberts. I don`t want to ruin my ears (Huh?) and my room is a black pit. Now I willl probably go with a 0.9 because my scren is small there are projectors I test and watch for some time that need some black ref level help. For the Lumis alone, I would go with a 0.8.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #382 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

The Friehawhk is a disaster will the Lumis, I know because I have one Stewart Microperf 12 foot 2:35 with Lumis. Crushed blacks, sparkies, moiré, you name it.
Stewart Ultramatte Microperf 1.3 is ideal 'for me'.
I am finding out nothing is bright enough. Going from 230 watt setting to 280 watt on my Lumis I do not 'see' a huge jump in perceived brightness.... the brighter the better....
Ash
post #383 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Can anyone commend on how the DI of the Lumis behave, when a blu ray disc's subtitles are activated? On lesser projectors I have found that there are often minimal to significant brightness fluctuations, as if the iris gets momentarily confused, when subtitles are on (also on movie credits with large fonts). I was just curious to know, how the Lumis fares in such cases.
post #384 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

It sounds like something was wrong with that projector. I saw no pumping at all on the one I saw.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #385 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:

It could be that the Lumis I saw was defective, but it drove me nuts when engaged (visible brightness pumping etc). I found the projector did a fairly good job with it disengaged though.

Hi Ian

I can only speak from my personal experience which has been limited to a total of 3 units but there have been no visible side effects with DB engaged on any of these regardless the content. I would guess the unit you viewed was defective or other unknown factors came into play.

post #386 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Ditto, the last unit I had in here had no visible pumping.

Jim
post #387 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The first ever DI that I found to be totally transparent. Ive seen 2 now, and both DI's are invisible and inaudible.

A number of people saw both units, no-one detected the DI in operation.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #388 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

It's reassuring to hear this (certainly what I'd like to believe, but admittedly I've become a bit of a skeptic lately). Still waiting to see what happens with that particular Lumis (it was sent back to Sim2 a while ago).
post #389 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's reassuring to hear this (certainly what I'd like to believe, but admittedly I've become a bit of a skeptic lately). Still waiting to see what happens with that particular Lumis (it was sent back to Sim2 a while ago).

I was told that particular Lumis was returned to Italy at the factory's request. A replacement is on the way.

Jim
post #390 of 1962 Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure if going from a 1.3 studiotek to a stewart 1.0 matte screen is worth the trouble.... I do not like sparklies but at the same time, I wonder if it would make a noticeable difference in improvement. Maybe the slight extra 'kick' in FT/L offsets the sparklies... not sure if it is worth going to the trouble to order the extra screen material to find out... I am thinking about it.

With the C3X1080, the best contrast was achieved by putting the iris on closed and using the lowest bulb wattage setting. I suppose that you kill the advantge of the Lumis if you were to do a similar thing... In fact, what would the difference be between the Lumis and C3X1080 in such a case? Putting both units on a closed iris and low bulb wattage setting should not be much, if any different than a C3X1080....

Any word on Chief's custom backplate for the Lumis?
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page