Sim2 Lumis Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1962 Old 05-10-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A note of caution regarding the SDI (HD-SDI) BNC connector on the Host. It seems to have a tendency to become loose. If you feel any rotation at all, stop and open the unit to tighten the retaining nut very tightly. It's very easy to do and it could be a good idea to do it before the connector has a chance to loosen. A rotating connector will break the short internal wire connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1962 Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey View Post

A note of caution regarding the SDI (HD-SDI) BNC connector on the Host. It seems to have a tendency to become loose. If you feel any rotation at all, stop and open the unit to tighten the retaining nut very tightly. It's very easy to do and it could be a good idea to do it before the connector has a chance to loosen. A rotating connector will break the short internal wire connection.

Have you noticed any bugs with HD-SDI that Alan eluded to above?

What do you see vs HDMI at 1080P24?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #543 of 1962 Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Have you noticed any bugs with HD-SDI that Alan eluded to above?

What do you see vs HDMI at 1080P24?

I have not tested the HD-SDI input fully, but I will soon.

You should not expect an improvement in image quality using HD-SDI vs. HDMI for BD. The advantages of HD-SDI are very long cable runs, compatibility with SDI (HD-SDI) input processors, and no HDMI handshake issues.
post #544 of 1962 Old 05-10-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not tested the HD-SDI input fully, but I will soon.

You should not expect an improvement in image quality using HD-SDI vs. HDMI for BD. The advantages of HD-SDI are very long cable runs, compatibility with SDI (HD-SDI) input processors, and no HDMI handshake issues.

Agreed, additionally, the BNC connector is superior as well. A BNC connection is solid, whereas the HDMI connector is a piece of ****... of course we all know that...

All of the above are more than enough reason for me to want to use HD-SDI...

Quote:

A note of caution regarding the SDI (HD-SDI) BNC connector on the Host. It seems to have a tendency to become loose. If you feel any rotation at all, stop and open the unit to tighten the retaining nut very tightly

Will dealers please alert Sim2 to this as well, this is QC stuff that needs to be addressed. Usually people put a lock washer back there as well.
post #545 of 1962 Old 05-10-2009, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

Will dealers please alert Sim2 to this as well, this is QC stuff that needs to be addressed. Usually people put a lock washer back there as well.

There is a lock washer, but it's not very effective. The nut needs to be very tight and it's hard to grab it with a wrench. As you can guess, I broke the connection, but my poor soldering skill was good enough for the repair.
post #546 of 1962 Old 05-10-2009, 07:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

There is a lock washer, but it's not very effective. The nut needs to be very tight and it's hard to grab it with a wrench. As you can guess, I broke the connection, but my poor soldering skill was good enough for the repair.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #547 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is there a USA SIM2 website?

I go to SIM2.com and it all Int'l.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #548 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Is there a USA SIM2 website?

I go to SIM2.com and it all Int'l.

There is, but they're just trying to avoid you, and the inevitable barrage of preposterous questions.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #549 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I figured as much........

I just want a PDF of the manual as I am at my office and wanted to do a bit more programming...Do you have a LUMIS manual to email?

post #550 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Jeff and CM, please respond to PM.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #551 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Jeff and CM, please respond to PM.

Art

I didn't receive one. Thats assuming its one you sent today.

post #552 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have a LUMIS manual to email?

I dont, sorry.

post #553 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Jeff,
Please check your gmail e mail, I sent you the manual (17MB).
Ash
post #554 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Ash..

I'm at my office and ma programming now...

Can I change the input number of any the 18 inputs?

QUESTION:
For example, HDMI1 is default input #12. Can I make it input #1 for example?

I'd like to make all of my regular inputs low in numbers so if I change an input, it won't renumber them all..

Thanks.

post #555 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
http://www.sim2usa.com/home/404

Note the 404;-), the page the php refers to doesn't exist. So, http://www.sim2usa.com/home/en should get you there.

And the manual download site doesn't list the lumis.
post #556 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks again Jeff!
It was nice meeting you in person last week!
post #557 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Another Question...

1. How would you set up the HOST to correctly display 1.85 in my CIH set up? Mind you I have movealde masks on the L and R sides and can customize their position for 1.85.

I assume you'd use the custom aspects but how would you adjust?

2. Also, I noticed my HD DVR (Directv) when outputting 1080i60 comes up on the HOST as 1080i30.. Any reason why?

Thanks!

post #558 of 1962 Old 05-11-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, what is the difference in lumen output between the Lumis and HT5000?

As far as 1.85 goes, I remember making a custom setting under "user 2" with the C3X1080... there was a specific number for the vertical and another number for the horizontal that trimmed off the small amount of black bars... I forgot how I did it with the C3x1080, but like you, I'll have to figure out how to do it with the Lumis...
post #559 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

By the way, what is the difference in lumen output between the Lumis and HT5000?

As far as 1.85 goes, I remember making a custom setting under "user 2" with the C3X1080... there was a specific number for the vertical and another number for the horizontal that trimmed off the small amount of black bars... I forgot how I did it with the C3x1080, but like you, I'll have to figure out how to do it with the Lumis...

Last night was the first time I had 20 minutes to go through the menu.. Mother's day was all weekend long, so I had zero time all weekend.

I'll get more time tonight..

I noticed my commands for Signal, Status and Lamp did not work at all (RS-232). I followed the examples exactly (I thought).

Did anyone / you implement these RS-232 commands? Any ideas?

Thanks

post #560 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There are 3 custom aspect ratios in the Lumis (per input). You actually have horizontal and vertical control of each, so you can pretty much set most all aspect ratios (when used in conjunction with the standard preset ones).
post #561 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

There are 3 custom aspect ratios in the Lumis (per input). You actually have horizontal and vertical control of each, so you can pretty much set most all aspect ratios (when used in conjunction with the standard preset ones).

Jason, excuse my pedantry, but isn't it actually 3 custom ratios per memory, with 6 nameable memories per input, giving 18 ARs per input.

For those wondering how to do it, its really simple......Just enter the "Aspect" menu. There will be 3 user ratios as well as the presets, go into one of those user ratios. Dial the vertical axis to remove the bars. Apply the same number the the horizontal axis to restore correct geometry. Rather than use 3 user ARs in one memory, I would use 1 per memory and rename that memory to reflect your choice. A simple macro will allow easy AR switching. If you are using 12v triggers, each memory can also fire a trigger if required.

post #562 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Jason, excuse my pedantry, but isn't it actually 3 custom ratios per memory, with 6 nameable memories per input, giving 18 ARs per input.

I know everyone has their favorite brand of projector but it is stuff like this that is lacking from other projector manufactures that are keeping the stand alone add on "video processor" guys in business costing us another 4k + just to get back the basic features that the processing chip in these projectors already provide yet the manufactures are not taking advantage of.
post #563 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Can each input have a separate memory for USER ASPECT 1, USER ASPECT 2, USER Aspect 3?? The Lumagen allows for this.. I think this is what CM is saying that each input will have its own USER ASPECT 1, 2, and 3.... OR are USER ASPECTs 1,2,3 global (meaning you set up the three and each input has the choice of only those 3)??

Thanks!

I could get away with just 3 User Aspect memories (for 2.40, 1.66 and 1.85). 1.78, 4:3 and 2.35 are already available..

As CM mentioned above, I incorporate a defined Aspect in a macro for each type of aspect ratio.

post #564 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As I would say to my daughters should I make a mistake...whoopsy daisy. You are correct.

Quote:

I could get away with just 3 User Aspect memories (for 2.40, 1.66 and 1.85). 1.78, 4:3 and 2.35 are already available..

Bingo.
post #565 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can each input have a separate memory for USER ASPECT 1, USER ASPECT 2, USER Aspect 3?? The Lumagen allows for this.. I think this is what CM is saying that each input will have its own USER ASPECT 1, 2, and 3.... OR are USER ASPECTs 1,2,3 global (meaning you set up the three and each input has the choice of only those 3)??

Thanks!

As CM mentioned above, I incorporate a defined Aspect in a macro for each type of aspect ratio.

Here we go....

Its as I explained above......Each input has 6 user memories that contain all the VP/menu settings, including the three AR settings. Each user memory can be named.This means there are 18 possible user ratios per input.

You could use the 3 user AR slots in 1 memory or just use 1 user AR in each of three separate memories. Using three separate memories allows you to name them appropriately.

Just to be doubly clear...Each input has 6 nameable User Memories. Each user memory has 3 user aspect ratios. This means that each input has 18 user aspect ratios.

Hope that helps.

post #566 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

I know everyone has their favorite brand of projector but it is stuff like this that is lacking from other projector manufactures that are keeping the stand alone add on "video processor" guys in business costing us another 4k + just to get back the basic features that the processing chip in these projectors already provide yet the manufactures are not taking advantage of.

Totally.

Almost any PJ is fundamentally capable of that sort of flexibility.

The main issue is that very few companies have the expertise to write their own VP software. They are also terrified of the dollar hit that doing so would involve.

The fact that stuff like that doesn't leap out of a spec sheet designed for J6P is another major issue. Its the same with, amongst other things, power control that extends lamp life and minimizes the loss of output over time.

post #567 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

Here we go....

Its as I explained above......Each input has 6 user memories that contain all the VP/menu settings, including the three AR settings. Each user memory can be named.This means there are 18 possible user ratios per input.

You could use the 3 user AR slots in 1 memory or just use 1 user AR in each of three separate memories. Using three separate memories allows you to name them appropriately.

Just to be doubly clear...Each input has 6 nameable User Memories. Each user memory has 3 user aspect ratios. This means that each input has 18 user aspect ratios.

Hope that helps.

Gotcha.. So, memories are not global.. I appreciate the help, as I get more familiar with the GUI, it should make more sense.. This info will help expedite things..

Appreciate it.

post #568 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 12:03 PM

I'm satisfied with my own
post #569 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocurimasini View Post

I'm satisfied with my own

your own what?

post #570 of 1962 Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For 1.85 material, what are people's opinions on the best way to handle it?

1) Leave it alone so there is no scaling involved and deal with small black bars.

2) Have not tried it, but I am guessing it is about +2 or +3 to H and V for the method that CM describes above. You are scaling from about 1038 to 1080 - any loss of sharpness?

3) Use the lens, stretch a little vertically, and squeeze horizontally - would lose some resolution horizontally, but gain a slightly wider picture.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page