Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1411 of 2036 Old 02-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The C3X 720 (with a new lamp) and Lumis are comparable in light output, so if the C3X didn't overpower your setup the Lumis won't either. The Lumis is certainly a better projector in resolution, internal processing, color accuracy, and lamp life to name a few items. However, depending on where you sit, a C3X 720 coupled with a Radiance or VideoEq Pro to correct the oversaturated color is still a formidable setup. Also, bulbs for the C3X are readily available for less than $200 by reusing your old lamp housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 2036 Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

Also, bulbs for the C3X are readily available for less than $200 by reusing your old lamp housing.

Is this only for the C3X 720 or the C3X1080 as well? If bulbs are only $200 for my 1080 I'm buying a bunch!!

post #1413 of 2036 Old 02-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters View Post

Is this only for the C3X 720 or the C3X1080 as well? If bulbs are only $200 for my 1080 I'm buying a bunch!!

The bulb for the C3X1080 might also be available, I don't know. I know the bulb for the C3X-E is different from the C3X. I suspect the bulb for the C3X1080 is also different as well. The only way to tell is to look at the markings on the your bulb in the your lamp housing. Mine, for example, is an Osram P-VIP 250/1.3 P22 and it is available many places including the following:
http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp69533.html

I have a buddy on here who was able to find one for his C3X Lite at the same place.

Bob
post #1414 of 2036 Old 02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After having my projector calibated using pixel to pixel mode, the Lumis now loves that mode... so much that the projector is constantly reverting back to pixel-pixel mode several times before the feature film starts. If I select user 1 (for 2.35 stretch) or user 2, or normal (1.78).... it doesn't matter, the Lumis loves to switch back to pixel-pixel setting under which it was calibrated. It will eventually stay at what I select, such as User 1, but in the begining, of the movie when it shows the oppo logo, or the FBI warning, the loading screen, and every movie preview befor ethe feature film starts, it is constantly switching from USER 1, back to the pixel-pixel mode. Before calibration (done using pixel-pixel setting), I would set at at USER 1 (or normal, or whatever) and it would stay that way from the beginning. Now I am constantly having to switch from pixel to pixel mode several times until the feature film starts. Every time the projector resynchs with every new movie preview or for a menu, or for whatver, it reverts to pixel-pixel... This can't continue... Not sure why this happens...
post #1415 of 2036 Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Health Nut, or anyone else. I have not calibrated my Lumis Host, after calibration how much of an improvement is there in the picture. How long does it take and what are the cost of a basic calibration of a Lumis (color, brightness, grayscale, contrast etc.) I have heard between $250-$350? Thanks Greg
post #1416 of 2036 Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post

Health Nut, or anyone else. I have not calibrated my Lumis Host, after calibration how much of an improvement is there in the picture. How long does it take and what are the cost of a basic calibration of a Lumis (color, brightness, grayscale, contrast etc.) I have heard between $250-$350? Thanks Greg

Given your projector, you might want to spend a bit more than that for a top calibrator.
post #1417 of 2036 Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The bulb for the C3X1080 might also be available, I don't know. I know the bulb for the C3X-E is different from the C3X. I suspect the bulb for the C3X1080 is also different as well. The only way to tell is to look at the markings on the your bulb in the your lamp housing. Mine, for example, is an Osram P-VIP 250/1.3 P22 and it is available many places including the following:
http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp69533.html

I have a buddy on here who was able to find one for his C3X Lite at the same place.

Bob

Thanks Bob it's worth a try. I'm nearing 1500 hours on my current bulb, so soon I'll open it up and find out what the bulb is and see if it's available. $200 is sure better than $800!!!

post #1418 of 2036 Old 02-17-2010, 02:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

Thanks Bob it's worth a try. I'm nearing 1500 hours on my current bulb, so soon I'll open it up and find out what the bulb is and see if it's available. $200 is sure better than $800!!!

I'd like to know as well.. Thanks! Also, let us Lumis owners how involved swapping out the bulb is, too!

I assume the bulb is easily removable from the lamp cage?

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1419 of 2036 Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post

Hello Greg,

We get up to your area from time to time and have extensive experience with the Lumis projectors. If you are interested in a quote, please email me at dave@avical.com.

After calibration these projectors can produce an excellent image conforming to system standards.

Best,

Dave
post #1420 of 2036 Old 02-18-2010, 11:27 AM

I'm having problems installing the LiveColors Calibration CD that came with my Lumis. Windows 7 (64-bit) won't recognize the installer as compatible and the Vista (32-bit) on my laptop quit in mid-installation and suggested a faulty CD.

Is there a downlaod site for the latest version? Is the Lumis' CMS fully accessible directly from the projector/remote controls or is this software a must?
post #1421 of 2036 Old 02-18-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I don't think the software is a must. Jeff Meier calibrated my Lumis without it. The Winter Olympics look stunning with this thing calibrated by the way. My wife keeps saying " wow, look how good the picture is " !!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1422 of 2036 Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Nut View Post

After having my projector calibated using pixel to pixel mode, the Lumis now loves that mode... so much that the projector is constantly reverting back to pixel-pixel mode several times before the feature film starts. If I select user 1 (for 2.35 stretch) or user 2, or normal (1.78).... it doesn't matter, the Lumis loves to switch back to pixel-pixel setting under which it was calibrated. It will eventually stay at what I select, such as User 1, but in the begining, of the movie when it shows the oppo logo, or the FBI warning, the loading screen, and every movie preview befor ethe feature film starts, it is constantly switching from USER 1, back to the pixel-pixel mode. Before calibration (done using pixel-pixel setting), I would set at at USER 1 (or normal, or whatever) and it would stay that way from the beginning. Now I am constantly having to switch from pixel to pixel mode several times until the feature film starts. Every time the projector resynchs with every new movie preview or for a menu, or for whatver, it reverts to pixel-pixel... This can't continue... Not sure why this happens...

Hello Health Nut,

My guess is that the reason this is happening is that when it was calibrated the settings were stored in one of the six memory presets. Everytime the projector sees a particular signal type such as 1080p it will load the settings in that particular memory bank.

You can check this by pressing the info button on the remote control after the projector has 'chosen' pixel to pixel and look to see what memory bank has been loaded - it is above the lamp hour timer. If it says anything other than 'Auto' it means that the callibrator stored his settings into memory - which is the correct thing to do.

If you want to change this so that a different aspect ratio is loaded, but all other settings remain the same then you need to 'save' a different memory bank. Simply allow the projector to load the settings as normal then select your chosen aspect ratio, next press the memory manager button on the remote, this is located below the word 'menu' and has a square symbol on it.

This will bring up the memory OSD and if I'm right the memory in use will have a yellow border around it and the little tray graphic will be full. Using the arrow up/down/left/right keys on the remote select a free memory.

Press the left arrow and a new box will appear and choose 'Save Current Settings' by pressing the right arrow - the empty tray graphic should now be full. Now press the arrow right button and the osd will confirm your chosen memory has been recalled. This now means that every time the PJ sees that signal type and input it will now use that memory. To revert to the previous memory simply display the memory manager again and choose another one and press the right arrow button to load it.

If you want to stop using the memories and save your settings 'on the fly' choose the 'auto' memory then the projector will always select whatever you set in the Picture & Image menu's.

Be warned, that if you change anything or attempt to save any memory it is immediate.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan Roser
SIM2 UK Ltd
post #1423 of 2036 Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Gotcha.. Sounds like Pixel to Pixel was saved to 1080P60 for Healthnut. The menus are typically 1080P60... so if you save your 1080P24 settings to 1080P60, this solves it.

(this, i think, is what Alan posted as 'how to do this')

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1424 of 2036 Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I'd like to know as well.. Thanks! Also, let us Lumis owners how involved swapping out the bulb is, too!

I assume the bulb is easily removable from the lamp cage?

Just opened mine (C3X1080) up tonight! It is very easy and will also be easy to change. The lamp itself just snaps in and can come out with 4 screws on the front and then 2 screws for the wires. I didn't actually change mine yet, since it was just an exploration mission, but now I know I can change my lamp for only a couple hundred bucks! Now I rack up the hours big time Actually I already have 1500 and it still looks great, but I should have one on hand.

Anyway, looks like this lamp is available online. I found a couple places that sold it. So I'll try one of them and see.

The lamp is: osram p-vip 250/1.0 p22

post #1425 of 2036 Old 02-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like you got lucky Shawn. You're in the same boat as me with my C3X. With new bulbs at less than $200 it made me really relax when my grandkids were putting many hours of XBox360 over the holidays. This makes the C3X1080 an attractive upgrade path for me.

Bob
post #1426 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Are the bulbs/lamps purchased from replacementlightbulbs as good as the ones we would purchase from sim2 ??
post #1427 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Is the Lumis chassis identical to the C3X??

Does the Lumis use a 280W bulb?

I searched for a 280W version...

Got this: projector lamp for OSRAM P-VIP 280/1.0 E20.6. Is this the LUMIS bulb??
Thanks!

post #1428 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post

Are the bulbs/lamps purchased from replacementlightbulbs as good as the ones we would purchase from sim2 ??

I have purchased 2 from them and both have been very good. As I am a calibrator I recalibrate with each bulb change, but I found very little change in color when changing bulbs.
I know Sim2 "burns in" their lamps for some hours (I'm not sure but I think at least 30-40 hours) so in that sense they might be better in that initial failures would be sorted out. Perhaps Sim2 preselects their lamps as I have noticed some additional markings on their bulbs, so this might also be some value-added. I think any risk you might be taking by purchasing one of these replacement bulbs is more than offset by its drasticly lower price.

I would caution those of you contemplating this to make sure you take care in purchasing exactly the same bulb. Make sure all the part numbers are the same. If yours is a parabolic reflector as indicated by the "p", for example, don't try one marked "e" as this is an elliptical reflector and will not work properly in the light path.

The availability of these replacement bulbs is IMO directly related to whether they have also been used in some popular RPTV's. In the case of the C3X 720, the lamp is used in several very popular Samsung RPTV's and that is why they are readily available.
post #1429 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:

I have purchased 2 from them and both have been very good. As I am a calibrator I recalibrate with each bulb change, but I found very little change in color when changing bulbs.
I know Sim2 "burns in" their lamps for some hours (I'm not sure but I think at least 30-40 hours) so in that sense they might be better in that initial failures would be sorted out. Perhaps Sim2 preselects their lamps as I have noticed some additional markings on their bulbs, so this might also be some value-added. I think any risk you might be taking by purchasing one of these replacement bulbs is more than offset by its drasticly lower price.

I just had my Lumis installed yesterday and the lamp counter read 19 hours fresh out of the box.
post #1430 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrakmf View Post

I just had my Lumis installed yesterday and the lamp counter read 19 hours fresh out of the box.

I've seen them as low as 11 hours and as high as 58 hours. I've been told by Sim2 that these variations are a function of additional adjustments and testing required that are "unit" specific. There is no actual burn-in for the sake of burn-in, but they do run some units more than others when testing for issues.

Jim
post #1431 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Got this: projector lamp for OSRAM P-VIP 280/1.0 E20.6. Is this the LUMIS bulb??

Took a look and that's the one.
Did a quick search and found a couple of place selling it for about $180.
post #1432 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

Took a look and that's the one.
Did a quick search and found a couple of place selling it for about $180.

Sh!t!

Is it an easy swap out? Similar to the C3X1080?
Good work.

For that cost, I can swap out every 1 year (or less)...

post #1433 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So my Lumis should be here anyday and I would like to go ahead and pickup some spare bulbs that people have been talking about. How many hours are you guys running these bulbs before swapping in a new one? Also, using these instead of ones supplied from SIM, is there any chance of a mishap and having them not honor your warranty?
post #1434 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be View Post

So my Lumis should be here anyday and I would like to go ahead and pickup some spare bulbs that people have been talking about. How many hours are you guys running these bulbs before swapping in a new one? Also, using these instead of ones supplied from SIM, is there any chance of a mishap and having them not honor your warranty?

I don't think anyone has gotten to the point of needing a new bulb yet. I have one of the earlier units and still have less than 600 hours. Not going to need a new one for quite some time, but I may pick up a spare bulb.

As for some mishap, I suppose the bulb could blow and do some damage, but I doubt anyone would be able to tell that someone had just replaced the bulb and not the whole assembly.
post #1435 of 2036 Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

I don't think anyone has gotten to the point of needing a new bulb yet. I have one of the earlier units and still have less than 600 hours. Not going to need a new one for quite some time, but I may pick up a spare bulb.

As for some mishap, I suppose the bulb could blow and do some damage, but I doubt anyone would be able to tell that someone had just replaced the bulb and not the whole assembly.

I'm pushing over 1200 hours, so I think I may give this a whirl when I get the chance. Do you have a link for an online source of the Osram lamp in the US? My Google-fu is weak today... Was only able to find a couple of European sites for the lamp.

Heck for $180/lamp, you could swap bulbs frequently enough (500 hours?) so that lamp failure/explosion should be minimized. Seems kinda a waste to have to toss out the whole assembly with a lamp swap anyway. I've swapped a number of lamps on DLP RPTV's, and it's pretty much a no brainer. Hopefully, this will be as easy.
post #1436 of 2036 Old 02-22-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #1437 of 2036 Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

All of these options are more appealing than the $695+ I think sim2 charges for a new bulb.
post #1438 of 2036 Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

All of these options are more appealing than the $695+ I think sim2 charges for a new bulb.

Can you get this with a cage?

I'd almost like to have a 2nd caged bulb ready to go when I feel like it. Do these outfits sell a cage as well? Not sure where to look...

post #1439 of 2036 Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The cost of a new 280W LUMIS lamp is $999 from Sim2. The price you mentioned is even below dealer cost.

Jim
post #1440 of 2036 Old 02-22-2010, 05:45 PM

Too bad C3X1080 owners can't use this 280W bulb to turn it into a Lumis/C3XE720 like light canon. Ironically, the 250W C3X1080 bulb is $90 more than the 280W Lumis bulb.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page