2Likes

post #1801 of 2020 Old 02-26-2012, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by booaaaa View Post

Do u mind sharing with me the service menu code for the sim2 3ds?

Access to SIM2 Service Menu: DOT button → INFO button → 66260
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2020 Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks a lot
post #1803 of 2020 Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 PM

I have been having a problem that not even my dealer can solve. I have the sim2 lumis 3ds and i cant seem to have the puremovie function and hence no dynamic black. Anyone experiencing the same problem. It has been months of agony. Tx
post #1804 of 2020 Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Booaaaa, sorry to hear about your issue. The recommended course would be to reinstall your firmware with the latest version if you are saying that the puremovie option is not coming up or selectable in the menu. If it is not the software potentially having become corrupted, then the other possibility is that your dynamic black arm which is mechanical may have stopped functioning properly and needs to be repaired or replaced. These italian beauties are true stallions of performance but like their automotive counterparts some of the units can be a little moody and need some love and attention from time to time. The good news is that Sim2 stands behind their machines and will make sure that your unit is right, so don't sweat it although I know from ownership experience with many many Sim2 units dating back to 1998 that it can be agonizing to not have your unit tip top until the service folks work their magic.

I am also BTW hearing from several parties who have eyes on and compared A/B that the Sim2 Lumis units are crushing the new VW1000 4k from Sony in head to head comparisons in quite a few areas including ANSI and MTF. Folks who thought the Sony would be an improvement are walking away mightily disappointed. Apparently, like cameras, pixel count alone is not everything by a long shot. You still have lens quality, sensor quality, etc etc. Also many reports are that SXRD is not nearly as durable as the DLP tech. I have heard of a number of issues with the VW1000 right out of the box as well as SXRD units that have been in the field for some time. Sim2 in my mind is still the optimal platform for HT in the here and now and has bottom line performance more than worthy of the infrequent or rare issues that do come up from time to time. Fanboy, yes, but I've owned a large number of the Sony's and JVC's as well and always come back to Sim2.
post #1805 of 2020 Old 03-31-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 View Post

Booaaaa, sorry to hear about your issue. The recommended course would be to reinstall your firmware with the latest version if you are saying that the puremovie option is not coming up or selectable in the menu. If it is not the software potentially having become corrupted, then the other possibility is that your dynamic black arm which is mechanical may have stopped functioning properly and needs to be repaired or replaced. These italian beauties are true stallions of performance but like their automotive counterparts some of the units can be a little moody and need some love and attention from time to time. The good news is that Sim2 stands behind their machines and will make sure that your unit is right, so don't sweat it although I know from ownership experience with many many Sim2 units dating back to 1998 that it can be agonizing to not have your unit tip top until the service folks work their magic.

I am also BTW hearing from several parties who have eyes on and compared A/B that the Sim2 Lumis units are crushing the new VW1000 4k from Sony in head to head comparisons in quite a few areas including ANSI and MTF. Folks who thought the Sony would be an improvement are walking away mightily disappointed. Apparently, like cameras, pixel count alone is not everything by a long shot. You still have lens quality, sensor quality, etc etc. Also many reports are that SXRD is not nearly as durable as the DLP tech. I have heard of a number of issues with the VW1000 right out of the box as well as SXRD units that have been in the field for some time. Sim2 in my mind is still the optimal platform for HT in the here and now and has bottom line performance more than worthy of the infrequent or rare issues that do come up from time to time. Fanboy, yes, but I've owned a large number of the Sony's and JVC's as well and always come back to Sim2.

Tx for the quick attention owl1. Is puremovie function that important? And is DB that great? I cant seem to part with the lumis hahaha. Finally can anyone give me access to the latest firmwares and uploaders cos support in my place is rather limited. The last time we tried to upgrade, it wasnt successful and i had to do the downgrade myself. I believe sim2 has different techs and quality parts hence the premium in price. So its not totally comparable to the sony and jvc. Once again thanks for the input owl1 and i am hoping its just a software problem.
post #1806 of 2020 Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Anyone knows the latest firmware of the 3ds? Any details on changes?
post #1807 of 2020 Old 04-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Hellow.
Could somebody tell me the service menu acces code to C3X1080p.
I need to cancel timer after bulb replacing.
12 V trigers not working im my PJ.
Is it possible that they ware deactivate in sevice menu?
thanks
post #1808 of 2020 Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How come there isn't any other posts after 4/16/12
post #1809 of 2020 Old 06-26-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 28
At this point, the projector has been pretty well vetted, and those lucky enough to own one are probably more entertained watching them than talking about them.
post #1810 of 2020 Old 06-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

At this point, the projector has been pretty well vetted, and those lucky enough to own one are probably more entertained watching them than talking about them.
Can we talk street price?cool.gif
post #1811 of 2020 Old 06-27-2012, 08:43 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
We didn't used to be able to, but now things seem more relaxed in that regard so not sure. There is the "great deals" section, so if not here you could ask others to post thir deals there I suppose. I'm not going to be the ice breaker though smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1812 of 2020 Old 09-01-2012, 10:20 AM

I can not get my Lumis to turn on. The control box just shows red when I hit the on and off buton. I have unpluged both the projector and the control box and plugged them both back in, but it still will ot turn on. Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #1813 of 2020 Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Got it to work. Just a loose fiber optic cable. Get Gray suggested I check it and that was it.
post #1814 of 2020 Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Phew! smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1815 of 2020 Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Just watched Moulin Rouge on Blu Ray on my Lumis Host last night ( finally ) - and I was reminded how much I love this projector !! That movie and soundtrack justs wowed my audience - might have even converted another person to the world of having their own home theater !! smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1816 of 2020 Old 09-24-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Just watched Moulin Rouge on Blu Ray on my Lumis Host last night ( finally ) - and I was reminded how much I love this projector !! That movie and soundtrack justs wowed my audience - might have even converted another person to the world of having their own home theater !! smile.gif
That used to be one of our demo discs in early days of HD optical formats.

Amir
Founder,

"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #1817 of 2020 Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Who here has one of the newer ( newer than my original Lumis Host ) Lumis Solo 3D units? Anybody go from the Lumis Host to a Lumis Solo ??

post #1818 of 2020 Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Who here has one of the newer ( newer than my original Lumis Host ) Lumis Solo 3D units? Anybody go from the Lumis Host to a Lumis Solo ??

I don't, but have been itching to go to the 3D Solo for a while.
Anyone want to buy my Lumis Host?
Anyone want to trade their non-Host Lumis for mine? I think those can be upgraded to 3D - would have to check on that one.
post #1819 of 2020 Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Odd Occurrence

Watching a movie tonight and all of a sudden the screen goes black. No noise - the picture simply disappears.

Look at the HOST and the blue light is ON (normal), the fan is running in the head unit and all seems normal - except no picture.

Look at the back of the projector and see code E3. Look head on into the lens, and sure enough the bulb is off. Look up in the manual and E3 is 'Lamp Error'.

I reset the unit by powering off the HOST and the head unit, restart both and the picture is back! Watch the last 1.5 hours of the movie with no issue.

Mind you, I've had the projector for 3.5 years and this bulb (original) has 850 hours so far - well below its rated life. When a bulb starts to go bad, can something like this happen? I figured the bulb just dies and is kaput!

Thanks!

**(BTW - What's a new bulb go for and can I install it?)

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1820 of 2020 Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

A long time ago, I got some error message flashing with no apparent issues otherwise. I reloaded the firmware and it went away.

What you are describing sounds a little more concerning.

I bought a bulb from these guys, pretty easy to replace the bulb instead of getting an entirely new assembly.
The one I got had OSRAM on it, the same as the original. The way it is listed now, I am not sure if it is a third party bulb.
A lot cheaper now, so I am a little suspicious. In the past, the listing was clearly OSRAM.
https://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/P-VIP280/1.0E20.6
post #1821 of 2020 Old 12-23-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks. My daughter and friends watched Fught Club for 2.5 hours without an issue. The bulb's almost 4 years old. I think I'm going to replace it.

But odd occurrence. I thought a bulb died quick (or can they Peter out a bit)?
Or as you suggested a software glitch.

What us the latest version?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #1822 of 2020 Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Odd Occurrence
Mind you, I've had the projector for 3.5 years and this bulb (original) has 850 hours so far - well below its rated life. When a bulb starts to go bad, can something like this happen? I figured the bulb just dies and is kaput!

Jeff,

UHP lamps can often exhibit this symptom when failing. I've seen failures on lamps with fewer than 500 hours.

It is also typical for a UHP lamp to loose up to half of it's light output within the first 1,000 hours or so.

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

spectroradiometer equipped
post #1823 of 2020 Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the insight, Ken. I might need your services:). You ever installed a Lumis bulb?

And then some red.

All the best!

post #1824 of 2020 Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM

hi jeff,

don´t be too concerned, had a similar issue with my lumis - lamp didn´t power on - after switching on/off a few times, it worked again normally!
that happened weeks ago! lamp has about 650 hours!
it´s more a software glitch I guess!

merry christmas!
m
post #1825 of 2020 Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M(c) View Post

hi jeff,
don´t be too concerned, had a similar issue with my lumis - lamp didn´t power on - after switching on/off a few times, it worked again normally!
that happened weeks ago! lamp has about 650 hours!
it´s more a software glitch I guess!
merry christmas!
m

Thanks M. Glad it's been seen before appears to be a gremlin in the machine.
That said, in going to change out the bulb as Ken suggested it may be the beginning if bulb failure.

post #1826 of 2020 Old 12-24-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jeff, just echoing "M", this could be a software issue, I've seen it a couple of times. In one case loading/reloading the current firmware fixed the problem, in another, a "reset" fixed it. Also, replacing the lamp is not difficult, you may remember this thread from awhile ago: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1249640/lumis-lamp-replacement.

Jim
post #1827 of 2020 Old 12-24-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks Jim.

Where is the bulb trap door on the Lumis. Front and top? So, according to the last thread, remove 3 screws and 2 electrical connectors and slide out... unless it is stuck I re-read that thread and it looked like the poster had to break apart the housing to remove it. I'm not excited about that. My projector is mounted inverted, should I take it down to do replace it or can I simply leave it mounted and do it?

What does a bulb run btw? I suppose I can get one from AVS.

Thanks Jim.

post #1828 of 2020 Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm about to get a new bulb for my Lumis Jeff. Call me if you want one.

post #1829 of 2020 Old 12-24-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

The lamp housing is on the side of the projector. You do not have to take the whole thing down.
One screw takes off the outer cover on the case. Three screws hold the entire lamp assembly which then slides out straight to the side.

If you want to go the cheap route and just change the bulb, four small hex screws, four other screws for a bracket, slide the two connectors to the bulb out.
post #1830 of 2020 Old 12-24-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 
The lamp housing is on the side of the projector. You do not have to take the whole thing down.
One screw takes off the outer cover on the case. Three screws hold the entire lamp assembly which then slides out straight to the side.

If you want to go the cheap route and just change the bulb, four small hex screws, four other screws for a bracket, slide the two connectors to the bulb out..

Well, in reading the post that Jim linked to, I think i want the whole housing and bulb - in case the housing is damaged when removing. But Thanks!

Good to know I can leave it up.

Is the one screw hole there to the left on the light part of the chassis the bulb area?

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page