post #1951 of 1962 Old 04-05-2014, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Let us know what you think after it's calibrated !! smile.gif

Had the Superlumis calibrated yesterday. First it is worth to mention that my calibrator has never seen a projector that measures so good out of the box. It is incredible accurate. Actually my calibrator started to laugh and said something like "This is unbelievable. We start off where other finish..." This is what was done:

1. Calibration of 2D in Superlumis. When we looked at the curves in CalMAN software and greyscale, the curves for red, blu and green were very close all the way. The Gamma had a little to high values in top, but that and everything else was adjusted and finetunde easily with SIM2´s Live Color Calibration software. On a 124" dark dnp Supernova 0.8 gain screen we measured 17 foot lamberts after calibration with the lowest lamp setting, quite impressive really.

2. Calibration of 3D in Superlumis. Really a piece of cake with the LCC software because it has a mode for automatically using the results from the 2D calibration and then applies the color shift for the glasses. But still we mounted a set of 3D glasses in front of the probe to make the final minor adjustments. One nice thing with all of the SIM2 projectors is that 3D calibration is stored separately in projector and automatically applied when the projector sees a 3D signal.

3. Finally, and which I find to be the most impressive part, is applying 3D LUT for the eeColor CMS processor. For those who don´t know what 3D LUT is it has nothing to do with 3D film. It is a way of calibrating colors with different luminance from the outer edges of the color spectrum towards white in the center. In theory you can calibrate up to 65x65x65 points with this box. I know Lumagen also has this with 9x9x9 but I find eeColor to give a clearly better result. The only downside with eeColor is that it doesn´t handle 3D Blu-rays so for 3D I run directly from another Blu-ray player directly into the second HDMI input of the Superlumis. I have tested 3D LUT with Lumagen for 3D signals, but it takes away too much light, so for 3D I prefer without 3D LUT to have the extra light output.

The results in 2D with eeColor is absolutely amazing, and increases the overall depth and detail level very much. This product is highly recommended and is not so expensive either. I think it is a must for all high-end projector setups.

When testing 3D it is really impressive. Also the 3D-S was so here the difference is mostly more light, but I also felt it was even more 3 dimensional and natural with the Superlumis. I guess that also has to do with the extra contrast.

So after all, the picture quality is extremely good and as good as it gets is how I feel about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1962 Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
So after all, the picture quality is extremely good and as good as it gets is how I feel about it.

Congratulations! Time to watch some movies !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1953 of 1962 Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of bright I put my new lamp in yesterday morning !! cool.gif

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #1954 of 1962 Old 05-04-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Anyone here ever decided to move across to a JVC or a 4K Sony?>

What were the reasons for?

Was it worth the move and are you happy?
post #1955 of 1962 Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't really move from my Lumis to a JVC, but I had an RS4910 and an RS57 to test, and demo in my theater for AVS forum members. I still like the look of 3 chip DLP - motion handling included - better on my Lumis. And while the JVC's were plenty bright to begin with, I would have to change lamps more often - the Lumis is brighter. I like bright!

That said, I must admit that the new JVC's looked awfully good ! And they will fill my 118" wide screen from 14' away, and then zoom down to my 106" wide 16:9 screen with zoom memory!!

post #1956 of 1962 Old 05-06-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't really move from my Lumis to a JVC, but I had an RS4910 and an RS57 to test, and demo in my theater for AVS forum members. I still like the look of 3 chip DLP - motion handling included - better on my Lumis. And while the JVC's were plenty bright to begin with, I would have to change lamps more often - the Lumis is brighter. I like bright!

That said, I must admit that the new JVC's looked awfully good ! And they will fill my 118" wide screen from 14' away, and then zoom down to my 106" wide 16:9 screen with zoom memory!!

Do you think an X900 would look better than the Lumis Host?
post #1957 of 1962 Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you think an X900 would look better than the Lumis Host?

I don't think so, on my screen. But that's just my opinion, and my tastes in projectors. You really need to factor in everything - size screen, etc. And since you are talking about a Lumis Host, which isn't made anymore, you are talking about getting a used projector. You may be able to find one around the same price as a new JVC X900. Then you need to factor in no warranty on a used Lumis vs a 5 year warranty ( on a RS6710 ) for a new JVC. It's never really as simple as " which one has the best picture ".

post #1958 of 1962 Old 05-06-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think so, on my screen. But that's just my opinion, and my tastes in projectors. You really need to factor in everything - size screen, etc. And since you are talking about a Lumis Host, which isn't made anymore, you are talking about getting a used projector. You may be able to find one around the same price as a new JVC X900. Then you need to factor in no warranty on a used Lumis vs a 5 year warranty ( on a RS6710 ) for a new JVC. It's never really as simple as " which one has the best picture ".

Craig if you could only have one of these three projectors for your HT, which one would you choose and why?

Lumis Host, X900, VW500/600?
post #1959 of 1962 Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I decided to keep my Lumis after seeing the VW600 because I didn't feel switching projectors was going to be an upgrade. I can buy any projector at cost. I'll stick with my Lumis for now, thanks.

Buying new - today - at normal street prices, the VW600 would be hard to beat. Money no object I'd get a Super Lumis. The X900 would be third. I like a bright projector - projectors are never bright enough - at least not for long. I still prefer the mothion handling / look of DLP. And the Lumis / Super Lumis has a contrast ratio ( with the dynamic black on ) that I find more than good enough. If I had a smaller screen - 100" diagonal, than the X900 might work. I'm just a DLP guy still - hoping for a 4K or 8K DLP wonder projector to arrive ( at a price I can afford ) before my Lumis wears out !! smile.gif

post #1960 of 1962 Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I haven´t seen all Lumis models but the later models. I find these to excel and be quite a lot better than the Sonys and JVCs, also the top models from these. Even if they boast about 4K, contrast etc they just don´t have the same picture quality as the Lumis line. The Lumis is more natural to look at, has a less digital looking picture, better motion handling and better color reproduction. The Lumis are for those willing to pay more to have the absolute best.

Also the Lumis line, especially the Superlumis is the best 3D projector by far..! Of course the light output contribute to this, but not only. The triple flash technology is SOTA for 3D. Personally I find 3d on all other projectors I have seen to be a nightmare in comparison, with the Lumis models with triple flash it is pure joy to watch 3d!
post #1961 of 1962 Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I decided to keep my Lumis after seeing the VW600 because I didn't feel switching projectors was going to be an upgrade. I can buy any projector at cost. I'll stick with my Lumis for now, thanks.

Buying new - today - at normal street prices, the VW600 would be hard to beat. Money no object I'd get a Super Lumis. The X900 would be third. I like a bright projector - projectors are never bright enough - at least not for long. I still prefer the mothion handling / look of DLP. And the Lumis / Super Lumis has a contrast ratio ( with the dynamic black on ) that I find more than good enough. If I had a smaller screen - 100" diagonal, than the X900 might work. I'm just a DLP guy still - hoping for a 4K or 8K DLP wonder projector to arrive ( at a price I can afford ) before my Lumis wears out !! smile.gif

Craig, Do you think the Super Lumis is still the best 3chip DLP out there for the price?

Is the Host model for 2D just as good as the newer Lumis?
post #1962 of 1962 Old 05-07-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Craig, Do you think the Super Lumis is still the best 3chip DLP out there for the price?

To be honest with you, when it comes to projectors and fine wine, I don't tend to think this way. I can either afford it, and feel comfortable spending that amount of money, or not. I think the Lumis ( especially the current Super Lumis ) throws one of the best pictures I've seen.

Quote:
Is the Host model for 2D just as good as the newer Lumis?

No, I think there have been improvements over the last 5 years that make the Super Lumis superior. It's only the fact that I'm married ( and my wife would like to retire someday soon ) that have kept me from upgrading from my current Host model. smile.gif

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page