Sim2 Lumis Owners Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1981 of 1998 Old 08-12-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Seegs -- I'm surprised you didn't grab this one. I'm be curious as to how it compares to the Sim2. From $80,000 (or $90,000) to $6,000 in a couple of years -- now that's some serious depreciation!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FULL-3D-9000-...53e4951&_uhb=1
Note - no lens included - better add $ for a lens !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 1998 Old 08-12-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Seegs -- I'm surprised you didn't grab this one. I'm be curious as to how it compares to the Sim2. From $80,000 (or $90,000) to $6,000 in a couple of years -- now that's some serious depreciation!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FULL-3D-9000-...53e4951&_uhb=1
That isn't a home theater projector. I classify a "home theater projector" as something with higher than average contrast. And the specs on that are rather lousy:

Native Resolution:
1400 X 1050
5:4 Aspect Ratio
Contrast Ratio:
2000:1

Plus, as Craig points out, it doesn't come with a lens. I'm sure a new lens would cost about as much as the asking price of that projector.

Last edited by Seegs108; 08-12-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #1983 of 1998 Old 08-12-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
When do you get your Lumis ? I have friends coming over to watch " Enders Game " tonight ! That Blu Ray looks pretty darn good on my Lumis if I remember correctly.

I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
post #1984 of 1998 Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

UPS says it arrives tomorrow.
post #1985 of 1998 Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

My VW600 arrived - and I had just enough time to yank the Lumis, install the VW600, sort of dial it in and get it adjusted to my 2.35:1 screen, and then I didn't tell anybody who came over the watch " Enders Game " ( fun movie, excellent picture and sound quality ). Afterwards I told them ( they've been watching the Lumis in my theater for 5 years ) and asked their opinion. Split decision - the VW600 " had better depth ", " was too bright " ( I like bright though ), " didn't have as good a blacks as the Lumis " ( surprising comment ! ), " looked smoother " and " motion didn't look as smooth - more artifacts " ( I think DLP still has better motion ).

I hope to install both as a stack later this month for more comparison tests.

post #1986 of 1998 Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
My VW600 arrived - and I had just enough time to yank the Lumis, install the VW600, sort of dial it in and get it adjusted to my 2.35:1 screen, and then I didn't tell anybody who came over the watch " Enders Game " ( fun movie, excellent picture and sound quality ). Afterwards I told them ( they've been watching the Lumis in my theater for 5 years ) and asked their opinion. Split decision - the VW600 " had better depth ", " was too bright " ( I like bright though ), " didn't have as good a blacks as the Lumis " ( surprising comment ! ), " looked smoother " and " motion didn't look as smooth - more artifacts " ( I think DLP still has better motion ).

As others are starting to notice, 4K by itself does not make for a better picture. A lot of other factors involved.

It's also a matter of preference as to which technology someone prefers. I am in the DLP camp and feel my Super Lumis will be hard to beat for overall picture quality and especially 3D. I plan on holding on to my projector for at least as long as Craig has to this point with his Lumis.
post #1987 of 1998 Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I must say - I don't know what the future holds regarding 4K Blu Ray etc., but some of these well mastered recent movies have so much detail - you can see every pour and hair on Harrison Ford's face ! Actors better make sure they trim their nose hairs prior to filming !! I'm taking a wait and see attitude with any new 4K format, and will continue to collect new Blu Rays - especially when I can pick them up for little more than a rental price ! And they look as good as these new Blu Rays do !! That goes for the Lumis and the VW600 !!

post #1988 of 1998 Old 08-13-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Interesting comments. Though, the Lumis does have a tad more native contrast, so with dynamic black engaged, it should have a little more depth to the image. Plus ANSI contrast is much higher on the Lumis so that will help too. Brightness with a new bulb should be higher than the 600ES. I guess the best question to ask is one that you ask yourself. Did you like the image better?

Anyways, I just got my Lumis today:

It came with the original packaging and I must say they do an excellent job. It was like Inception. The projector was in a box, in a box, that was in another box.

The JVC is sold but I'm keeping it for the night to do a little side-by-side comparison before it get's shipped of to it's new owner tomorrow. As you can see, the Lumis seems impossibly small for what you get. I got it setup and turned it on. I don't have proper light control in my apartment so I will have to wait for this evening to really give it a close look.

A couple things of note; I found some of the default settings to be way off. For instance, the Sharpness mode should be set to Graphics, not video. The image is far too oversharpened in the Video mode. Graphics mode looks VERY natural in it's sharpness appearance at 7 (or possibly 8 I forget what I have it set to). Convergence on this unit is excellent. Even better than the LS-10i I had here previously and possibly a tad better than my JVC DLA-X500 that's in the picture. I take a closer look at that later tonight. The dynamic iris seems pretty smooth so far, but I'm going to do the reset trick because I spotted a couple instances of unnecessary flickering/pumping and want to be sure it's not an issue with it needing to be reset. I can't get a sense of contrast as of yet, but I can tell with the DI engaged it's definitely digging deeper than any previous DLP model I've seen.

More later...
post #1989 of 1998 Old 08-13-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Interesting comments. Though, the Lumis does have a tad more native contrast, so with dynamic black engaged, it should have a little more depth to the image. Plus ANSI contrast is much higher on the Lumis so that will help too. Brightness with a new bulb should be higher than the 600ES. I guess the best question to ask is one that you ask yourself. Did you like the image better?

Anyways, I just got my Lumis today:

It came with the original packaging and I must say they do an excellent job. It was like Inception. The projector was in a box, in a box, that was in another box.

The JVC is sold but I'm keeping it for the night to do a little side-by-side comparison before it get's shipped of to it's new owner tomorrow. As you can see, the Lumis seems impossibly small for what you get. I got it setup and turned it on. I don't have proper light control in my apartment so I will have to wait for this evening to really give it a close look.

A couple things of note; I found some of the default settings to be way off. For instance, the Sharpness mode should be set to Graphics, not video. The image is far too oversharpened in the Video mode. Graphics mode looks VERY natural in it's sharpness appearance at 7 (or possibly 8 I forget what I have it set to). Convergence on this unit is excellent. Even better than the LS-10i I had here previously and possibly a tad better than my JVC DLA-X500 that's in the picture. I take a closer look at that later tonight. The dynamic iris seems pretty smooth so far, but I'm going to do the reset trick because I spotted a couple instances of unnecessary flickering/pumping and want to be sure it's not an issue with it needing to be reset. I can't get a sense of contrast as of yet, but I can tell with the DI engaged it's definitely digging deeper than any previous DLP model I've seen.

More later...

Excellent ! And to answer your question - no, I do not like the VW600 ( so far ) better - it like both projectors equally, but for different things. We will see if that changes. I now need to get them both installed so I can use either one whenever I want - which is easy in my theater!

post #1990 of 1998 Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Be sure to keep us updated on anything you notice between the two units. Price wise, I think the 1100ES is probably a closer performer to the Lumis or even besting it a little in a couple areas.
post #1991 of 1998 Old 08-13-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Be sure to keep us updated on anything you notice between the two units. Price wise, I think the 1100ES is probably a closer performer to the Lumis or even besting it a little in a couple areas.

The only thing better would be if I had a Super Lumis and a VW1100 - but one must be thankful for what they have !
Billybobjimbob likes this.

post #1992 of 1998 Old 08-13-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Haha, very true. I still can't believe I have the lumis here.
post #1993 of 1998 Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I was curious if anyone has the USB driver needed to use the USB port on the back of the HOST to update to a new firmware. This seems like an easier way to update the HOST unit to a newer firmware than via RS-232.
post #1994 of 1998 Old 08-18-2014, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Seegs108 - I see you have posted your Sim up for sale on the 'gon. Did it disappoint?
post #1995 of 1998 Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
Seegs108 - I see you have posted your Sim up for sale on the 'gon. Did it disappoint?

He wants a VW1100 now.
post #1996 of 1998 Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post
I want to check out a Sony next. The Lumis doesn't disappoint, but I'm curious what the Sony looks like and would need the cash if one comes up for sale in the near future. I actually have a chance to see one pretty soon. I'm always on the lookout for my next projector. This one got me up to 40 projectors owned

If you want to drive an extremely large screen (even larger than what the Sony's can drive), there's still no other option out there that also has high contrast.

Last edited by Seegs108; 08-19-2014 at 12:51 AM.
post #1997 of 1998 Old 08-19-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I can understand the temptation of the vw1100 - a great unit, just wish the content was available to match it.
post #1998 of 1998 Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
I want to check out a Sony next. The Lumis doesn't disappoint, but I'm curious what the Sony looks like and would need the cash if one comes up for sale in the near future. I actually have a chance to see one pretty soon. I'm always on the lookout for my next projector. This one got me up to 40 projectors owned

If you want to drive an extremely large screen (even larger than what the Sony's can drive), there's still no other option out there that also has high contrast.
If you get the oportunity to see them side by side so you can see witch one you prefer. If I am going to buy a new projector I woud like to see it side by side with my VW1100 if it is possible before I buy.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page