Sim2 Lumis Owners Thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #2011 of 2036 Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoo View Post
Thanks Craig. I probably watch 80-90% of my movies etc during the dark hours anyway. In that case, would you advise me to move to the Studiotek ? My biggest problem might be the fact that I have lovely white ceilings that probably will have to stay. I get away with a lot but don't think that I'll be able to convince my wife that black is the new white

Can you tack up black velvet 2' - 3' out from the screen with decorative tacks? Better go see this thread for ideas that your wife might go for ( or do all your painting re-decorating while she is out of town on business like I did ) -

"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?)

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!

Last edited by Craig Peer; 08-27-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2036 Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Can you tack up black velvet 2' - 3' out from the screen with decorative tacks? Better go see this thread for ideas that your wife might go for ( or do all your painting re-decorating while she is out of town on business like I did ) -

"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?)
Craig, what a great thread -thank you. I've contemplated some of these approaches but dismissed them after my wife basically responded with the "talk to my hand" approach after my first sentence. As I said, I get lots of latitude with just about everything but there's a line. My approach is just going to be a go ahead and do it and bear the consequences - a boxed in surround covered in velvet sounds appealing as it can easily be reversed when we eventually sell and move into our next house.

Did you notice any loss in depth of black in going from Firehawk to Studiotek? One of the reasons I went for the Firehawk was to dig a little bit more black out of my DLP projectors.

Thanks again!
post #2013 of 2036 Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoo View Post
Did you notice any loss in depth of black in going from Firehawk to Studiotek? One of the reasons I went for the Firehawk was to dig a little bit more black out of my DLP projectors.

Thanks again!

I know this is off topic, but I can't seem to find where I posted this under screens, and your asking here, so here is my experience Sean -

“Craig, why did you opt for a grey screen initiallyand what made you change to a white screen ? “

This is an excellent question. When I first got into hometheater over 10 years ago, not only were projectors not that great contrast wise, I also never had a dedicated theater space. It was always a " media room ". Compromises had to be made. The décor wasn't dark, there was occasionally light in the room. The picture suffered. I started using grey screens pretty early on. Overall they just looked better. DLP projectors atleast looked like they had better contrast, and what little on / off contrast they had was preserved by the screen, rather than washing out due to reflections from white walls etc. The picture looked pretty good. I was happy.

Then, when I came back to work for AV Science I decided to see what I could do to improve my home theater. I have a dedicated theater, but it was setup more like a media room. My SIM Lumis throws an outstanding picture IMO. Could I make it look even better? I owe a lot of this to Rich Harkness. I read his theater build thread and realized I'd become complacent regarding my theater. Rich explained how and why he had picked the Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen over the Firehawk G3 screen. I was using a Firehawk G3 screen myself. So I got a sample of StudioTek 130 and devised a screen sample holder that would allow me to put the sample in front of my Firehawk. The blacks / contrast on the StudioTek looked terrible compared to my Firehawk. I grabbed a big " police " type flashlight ( lots of D cells - bright ) and stood at the screen. I did the " flashlight test ". Lots of things in the room reflected back onto the screen. First I decided to cover the beige carpet with black carpet rugs from Walmart. That worked well, but the ST 130 still didn't look as good as the FH. Then I had a giant rug made that covered the entire front 2/3's of the theater. Better. Next, I re-painted the ceiling and the side walls darker grey. Now the ST was starting to look as good or better overall than the FH. I then painted the backwalls much darker, put a black MDF board in front of the popcorn machines glass case, hung black curtains and Protostar material on part of the back wall, and hung another red velvet curtain over a white closet door. Now the blacks on space movies etc. looked as good on the StudioTek 130 sample as they did on the Firehawk. I then switched screens. I first replaced my 2.35:1 Firehawk with a2.35:1 StudioTek, and I also replaced my 16:9 High Contrast Cinema Visionscreen with a 16:9 Neve 1.1. The Lumis looks totally awesome on these screens! Making my room décor and walls dark and switching to white screens was one of the best things I've done to improve my picture in my theater. Now I'm just waiting for the wife to go out of town to get the flat black paint can out again !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #2014 of 2036 Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I know this is off topic, but I can't seem to find where I posted this under screens, and your asking here, so here is my experience Sean -

“Craig, why did you opt for a grey screen initiallyand what made you change to a white screen ? “

This is an excellent question. When I first got into hometheater over 10 years ago, not only were projectors not that great contrast wise, I also never had a dedicated theater space. It was always a " media room ". Compromises had to be made. The décor wasn't dark, there was occasionally light in the room. The picture suffered. I started using grey screens pretty early on. Overall they just looked better. DLP projectors atleast looked like they had better contrast, and what little on / off contrast they had was preserved by the screen, rather than washing out due to reflections from white walls etc. The picture looked pretty good. I was happy.

Then, when I came back to work for AV Science I decided to see what I could do to improve my home theater. I have a dedicated theater, but it was setup more like a media room. My SIM Lumis throws an outstanding picture IMO. Could I make it look even better? I owe a lot of this to Rich Harkness. I read his theater build thread and realized I'd become complacent regarding my theater. Rich explained how and why he had picked the Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen over the Firehawk G3 screen. I was using a Firehawk G3 screen myself. So I got a sample of StudioTek 130 and devised a screen sample holder that would allow me to put the sample in front of my Firehawk. The blacks / contrast on the StudioTek looked terrible compared to my Firehawk. I grabbed a big " police " type flashlight ( lots of D cells - bright ) and stood at the screen. I did the " flashlight test ". Lots of things in the room reflected back onto the screen. First I decided to cover the beige carpet with black carpet rugs from Walmart. That worked well, but the ST 130 still didn't look as good as the FH. Then I had a giant rug made that covered the entire front 2/3's of the theater. Better. Next, I re-painted the ceiling and the side walls darker grey. Now the ST was starting to look as good or better overall than the FH. I then painted the backwalls much darker, put a black MDF board in front of the popcorn machines glass case, hung black curtains and Protostar material on part of the back wall, and hung another red velvet curtain over a white closet door. Now the blacks on space movies etc. looked as good on the StudioTek 130 sample as they did on the Firehawk. I then switched screens. I first replaced my 2.35:1 Firehawk with a2.35:1 StudioTek, and I also replaced my 16:9 High Contrast Cinema Visionscreen with a 16:9 Neve 1.1. The Lumis looks totally awesome on these screens! Making my room décor and walls dark and switching to white screens was one of the best things I've done to improve my picture in my theater. Now I'm just waiting for the wife to go out of town to get the flat black paint can out again !
My apologies for taking this off topic but thank you for your excellent response Craig.
post #2015 of 2036 Old 09-20-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does anyone know what the differences are between the new Sim2 Lumis 20th at $22,000 RRP and the previous Sim2 Solo 3D since they both are the same weight and brightness?

Last edited by Spizz; 09-20-2014 at 05:12 PM.
post #2016 of 2036 Old 09-20-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Does anyone know what the differences are between the new Sim2 Lumis 20th at $22,000 RRP and the previous Sim2 Solo 3D since they both are the same weight and brightness?
Full specs are on the US site:

http://www.sim2usa.com/home/us/content/lumis-20th
post #2017 of 2036 Old 09-20-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Looks like no Triple Flash, no Dynamic Black, and no 12v triggers if those specs are accurate. Still an interesting price point for a 3 Chip DC4 .95 Projector.

Last edited by Spizz; 09-20-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #2018 of 2036 Old 09-22-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Looks like no Triple Flash, no Dynamic Black, and no 12v triggers if those specs are accurate. Still an interesting price point for a 3 Chip DC4 .95 Projector.
From what I know about this platform, I'm sure it has 12v triggers...probably just an error of omission. In the past, all their 3-chip projectors except for the flagship models had 120Hz 3D. Given the brightness, I'd say a 10,000:1 native contrast is pretty good (even allowing for possible marketing hype). Most of the 3-chip DLP projectors I've seen in this price range from Runco, DPI, and the like have gotten the price down by using .65 chips. The fact that this one does it with DC4 .95 defenitely sets it apart.
post #2019 of 2036 Old 09-22-2014, 12:36 PM

Liked: 33
How much brightness do these projectors typically get after calibration?

Thanks
post #2020 of 2036 Old 09-22-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Had a weird happening tonight.

I have Jeff Meier (UMR - Acuucal) here doing a calibration of my LUMIS. Noticed my OPPO 103 would switch between video black and computer black when I switched from LETTERBOX and NORMAL on the LUMIS and just get stuck on computer black. Blacks were getting crushed. No reason we could find or setting within the OPPO (or sim2) to fix this.

Thought the SIM2 was bad and reflashed the software.

Then I tried my Denon 3800 BD and OPPO 83 and no issues (nor with cable box).

Looks like some sort of EDID erro or something with the OPPO 103. Firmware is up to date. Any LUMIS users notice this... and what is the latest LUMIS/HOST firmware? 3.14.66 is what I am running.

Perhaps the OPPO is bad but weird.

Any ideas?

BTW - Jeff left things looking fantastic!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2021 of 2036 Old 09-22-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I have Jeff Meier (UMR - Acuucal) here doing a calibration of my LUMIS. Noticed my OPPO 103 would switch between video black and computer black when I switched from LETTERBOX and NORMAL on the LUMIS and just get stuck on computer black. Blacks were getting crushed. No reason we could find or setting within the OPPO (or sim2) to fix this.

Looks like some sort of EDID erro or something with the OPPO 103. Firmware is up to date. Any LUMIS users notice this... and what is the latest LUMIS/HOST firmware? 3.14.66 is what I am running.

Any ideas?

Hi,

I used an OPPO 103D a few months with my Lumis and never experienced such a problem.

Hope you will find a solution soon, the OPPO is a very good source for the Lumis ;-)
post #2022 of 2036 Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd only watched 2 movies on the player. I didn't notice it. Jeff M. noticed it right away. It was easily reproducible - but not on the other players or cable box.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #2023 of 2036 Old 09-23-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 23
Jeff, you still have that "old" Lumis? Heck, my C3X 1080 is only one model year older than your projector.
Both of us have "old" projectors. HA!

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #2024 of 2036 Old 09-23-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any ideas?

I don't recall any issues with my BDP103 when he was here last calibrating mine.

post #2025 of 2036 Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
How much brightness do these projectors typically get after calibration?

Thanks

I'll try an dig up some notes - off the top of my head, 1300 - 1500 lumens with a fairly new lamp ? Of course the new Super Lumis is much brighter.

post #2026 of 2036 Old 09-23-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Jeff, you still have that "old" Lumis? Heck, my C3X 1080 is only one model year older than your projector.
Both of us have "old" projectors. HA!

Add me to the " old projector " guys. Although my Lumis Host has a VW600 to keep it company now.

post #2027 of 2036 Old 09-23-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

Any ideas?

3.14.67 is the latest. I've uploaded it here for download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u6...7_Firmware.zip
post #2028 of 2036 Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Nice sale going on Lumii right now, through September. Love to fix one of you old guys up with a spiffy new Super Lumis . well, except Craig who can get one himself.

Speaking of Craig, I meant to try to catch you at CEDIA and say hello, put a face with your name. As usual I ended up being covered up with meetings and necessary demos and didn't get to do all the things I wanted in my allotted time
post #2029 of 2036 Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
Nice sale going on Lumii right now, through September. Love to fix one of you old guys up with a spiffy new Super Lumis . well, except Craig who can get one himself.

Speaking of Craig, I meant to try to catch you at CEDIA and say hello, put a face with your name. As usual I ended up being covered up with meetings and necessary demos and didn't get to do all the things I wanted in my allotted time

HI Scott.

Does updating firmware on the LUMIS change the calibration settings or any settings for that matter?

Thanks!

post #2030 of 2036 Old 09-24-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
HI Scott.

Does updating firmware on the LUMIS change the calibration settings or any settings for that matter?

Thanks!
No, it doesn´t.
post #2031 of 2036 Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post

I too was buried in meetings, training and demos. I needed another day. Next year - see you in Dallas !

post #2032 of 2036 Old 09-24-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
No, it doesn´t.
OK. Thanks!

IS the SUPER LUMIS in the same cahssis as the LUMIS host?

post #2033 of 2036 Old 09-24-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK. Thanks!

IS the SUPER LUMIS in the same cahssis as the LUMIS host?

The Super Lumis is slightly larger - 18" x 8.3" x 17.9". The Lumis ( Host ) projector is 15" x 6.88" x 14.92" ( w x h x d ).

post #2034 of 2036 Old 09-24-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The Super Lumis is slightly larger - 18" x 8.3" x 17.9". The Lumis ( Host ) projector is 15" x 6.88" x 14.92" ( w x h x d ).
I know Art bought a new PJ. How does the Super Lumis compare??

post #2035 of 2036 Old 09-24-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
the superlumis picture is brighter and a bit sharper (at least the one I compared to my lumis).
I think the brightness of a superlumis with an old lamp, will still match the light output of a lumis with a new lamp ;-)

but again, when you get used to the higher light output, you wish to have even more ... ;-)

in my opinion, the lumis is still one of the best projectors out there. I recently added a lumagen to my video chain and it had a huge impact on picture quality! so if you like to get most out of your already near perfect lumis picture, that´s the way to go!
Craig Peer likes this.
post #2036 of 2036 Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by M(c) View Post
I recently added a lumagen to my video chain and it had a huge impact on picture quality! so if you like to get most out of your already near perfect lumis picture, that´s the way to go!
I disagree. I have removed Lumagen from the chain, and for the better. Lumagen is messing up colors in the dark end. Also vertical stretch with 2.35:1 aspect ratio is not done as good in the Lumagen as within my Superlumis (also was the case with previous Lumis 3D-S). So with quality projectors like SIM2 you don´t need an external video processor as the Lumagen. It actually does more wrong than good in my experience (and some other friends report the same).

The only thing you could benefit from theoretically is 3D LUT calibration, but you have other less expensive products (eeColor) that to that even better, and that don´t mess up the colors. I have a WyreStorm HDMI Matrix/Switcher combined with eeColor that replaced a Lumagen XS processor where 3D LUT also was implemented. The upgrade in picture quality by doing this change was huge!

Last edited by Armand07; 10-08-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page