Sim2 Lumis Owners Thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2011 of 2017 Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoo View Post
Thanks Craig. I probably watch 80-90% of my movies etc during the dark hours anyway. In that case, would you advise me to move to the Studiotek ? My biggest problem might be the fact that I have lovely white ceilings that probably will have to stay. I get away with a lot but don't think that I'll be able to convince my wife that black is the new white

Can you tack up black velvet 2' - 3' out from the screen with decorative tacks? Better go see this thread for ideas that your wife might go for ( or do all your painting re-decorating while she is out of town on business like I did ) -

"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?)

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!

Last edited by Craig Peer; 08-27-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2017 Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Can you tack up black velvet 2' - 3' out from the screen with decorative tacks? Better go see this thread for ideas that your wife might go for ( or do all your painting re-decorating while she is out of town on business like I did ) -

"Black" Theater Improvment Thread (Once you go black you never go back?)
Craig, what a great thread -thank you. I've contemplated some of these approaches but dismissed them after my wife basically responded with the "talk to my hand" approach after my first sentence. As I said, I get lots of latitude with just about everything but there's a line. My approach is just going to be a go ahead and do it and bear the consequences - a boxed in surround covered in velvet sounds appealing as it can easily be reversed when we eventually sell and move into our next house.

Did you notice any loss in depth of black in going from Firehawk to Studiotek? One of the reasons I went for the Firehawk was to dig a little bit more black out of my DLP projectors.

Thanks again!
post #2013 of 2017 Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoo View Post
Did you notice any loss in depth of black in going from Firehawk to Studiotek? One of the reasons I went for the Firehawk was to dig a little bit more black out of my DLP projectors.

Thanks again!

I know this is off topic, but I can't seem to find where I posted this under screens, and your asking here, so here is my experience Sean -

“Craig, why did you opt for a grey screen initiallyand what made you change to a white screen ? “

This is an excellent question. When I first got into hometheater over 10 years ago, not only were projectors not that great contrast wise, I also never had a dedicated theater space. It was always a " media room ". Compromises had to be made. The décor wasn't dark, there was occasionally light in the room. The picture suffered. I started using grey screens pretty early on. Overall they just looked better. DLP projectors atleast looked like they had better contrast, and what little on / off contrast they had was preserved by the screen, rather than washing out due to reflections from white walls etc. The picture looked pretty good. I was happy.

Then, when I came back to work for AV Science I decided to see what I could do to improve my home theater. I have a dedicated theater, but it was setup more like a media room. My SIM Lumis throws an outstanding picture IMO. Could I make it look even better? I owe a lot of this to Rich Harkness. I read his theater build thread and realized I'd become complacent regarding my theater. Rich explained how and why he had picked the Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen over the Firehawk G3 screen. I was using a Firehawk G3 screen myself. So I got a sample of StudioTek 130 and devised a screen sample holder that would allow me to put the sample in front of my Firehawk. The blacks / contrast on the StudioTek looked terrible compared to my Firehawk. I grabbed a big " police " type flashlight ( lots of D cells - bright ) and stood at the screen. I did the " flashlight test ". Lots of things in the room reflected back onto the screen. First I decided to cover the beige carpet with black carpet rugs from Walmart. That worked well, but the ST 130 still didn't look as good as the FH. Then I had a giant rug made that covered the entire front 2/3's of the theater. Better. Next, I re-painted the ceiling and the side walls darker grey. Now the ST was starting to look as good or better overall than the FH. I then painted the backwalls much darker, put a black MDF board in front of the popcorn machines glass case, hung black curtains and Protostar material on part of the back wall, and hung another red velvet curtain over a white closet door. Now the blacks on space movies etc. looked as good on the StudioTek 130 sample as they did on the Firehawk. I then switched screens. I first replaced my 2.35:1 Firehawk with a2.35:1 StudioTek, and I also replaced my 16:9 High Contrast Cinema Visionscreen with a 16:9 Neve 1.1. The Lumis looks totally awesome on these screens! Making my room décor and walls dark and switching to white screens was one of the best things I've done to improve my picture in my theater. Now I'm just waiting for the wife to go out of town to get the flat black paint can out again !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #2014 of 2017 Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I know this is off topic, but I can't seem to find where I posted this under screens, and your asking here, so here is my experience Sean -

“Craig, why did you opt for a grey screen initiallyand what made you change to a white screen ? “

This is an excellent question. When I first got into hometheater over 10 years ago, not only were projectors not that great contrast wise, I also never had a dedicated theater space. It was always a " media room ". Compromises had to be made. The décor wasn't dark, there was occasionally light in the room. The picture suffered. I started using grey screens pretty early on. Overall they just looked better. DLP projectors atleast looked like they had better contrast, and what little on / off contrast they had was preserved by the screen, rather than washing out due to reflections from white walls etc. The picture looked pretty good. I was happy.

Then, when I came back to work for AV Science I decided to see what I could do to improve my home theater. I have a dedicated theater, but it was setup more like a media room. My SIM Lumis throws an outstanding picture IMO. Could I make it look even better? I owe a lot of this to Rich Harkness. I read his theater build thread and realized I'd become complacent regarding my theater. Rich explained how and why he had picked the Stewart StudioTek 130 G3 screen over the Firehawk G3 screen. I was using a Firehawk G3 screen myself. So I got a sample of StudioTek 130 and devised a screen sample holder that would allow me to put the sample in front of my Firehawk. The blacks / contrast on the StudioTek looked terrible compared to my Firehawk. I grabbed a big " police " type flashlight ( lots of D cells - bright ) and stood at the screen. I did the " flashlight test ". Lots of things in the room reflected back onto the screen. First I decided to cover the beige carpet with black carpet rugs from Walmart. That worked well, but the ST 130 still didn't look as good as the FH. Then I had a giant rug made that covered the entire front 2/3's of the theater. Better. Next, I re-painted the ceiling and the side walls darker grey. Now the ST was starting to look as good or better overall than the FH. I then painted the backwalls much darker, put a black MDF board in front of the popcorn machines glass case, hung black curtains and Protostar material on part of the back wall, and hung another red velvet curtain over a white closet door. Now the blacks on space movies etc. looked as good on the StudioTek 130 sample as they did on the Firehawk. I then switched screens. I first replaced my 2.35:1 Firehawk with a2.35:1 StudioTek, and I also replaced my 16:9 High Contrast Cinema Visionscreen with a 16:9 Neve 1.1. The Lumis looks totally awesome on these screens! Making my room décor and walls dark and switching to white screens was one of the best things I've done to improve my picture in my theater. Now I'm just waiting for the wife to go out of town to get the flat black paint can out again !
My apologies for taking this off topic but thank you for your excellent response Craig.
post #2015 of 2017 Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Does anyone know what the differences are between the new Sim2 Lumis 20th at $22,000 RRP and the previous Sim2 Solo 3D since they both are the same weight and brightness?

Last edited by Spizz; Yesterday at 05:12 PM.
post #2016 of 2017 Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Does anyone know what the differences are between the new Sim2 Lumis 20th at $22,000 RRP and the previous Sim2 Solo 3D since they both are the same weight and brightness?
Full specs are on the US site:

http://www.sim2usa.com/home/us/content/lumis-20th

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

post #2017 of 2017 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looks like no Triple Flash, no Dynamic Black, and no 12v triggers if those specs are accurate. Still an interesting price point for a 3 Chip DC4 .95 Projector.

Last edited by Spizz; Yesterday at 06:11 PM.
Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page