Sim2 Lumis Owners Thread - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #2191 of 2203 Old 12-21-2015, 01:22 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions would you? I measured my Lumis 3D-S at 6500:1 native contrast and I was hoping to get at least 10000:1 up to 13000:1 (double) what is there now. Is there some type of correlation to contrast gain and lumen loss with these iris mods or does it vary from light engine to light engine? In your opinion where would the best place for it be?
I believe the Lumis already has a fixed iris in both the lens and light path so I doubt you will be able to get any significant gain in on/off. The general rule of thumb is 50% light loss to double on/off, but only going from no iris to to iris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2203 Old 12-21-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2773 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG View Post
I believe the Lumis already has a fixed iris in both the lens and light path so I doubt you will be able to get any significant gain in on/off. The general rule of thumb is 50% light loss to double on/off, but only going from no iris to to iris.
It has a manual static iris (with a very small range) in the lens and a dynamic iris just before the light integrator rod. There could definitely be another iris placed in the light engine.
post #2193 of 2203 Old 12-22-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkrace View Post
Any predictions at what Sim might show at CES? I have the new Sony 5000 on pre-order but would likely be happier if I could stay with DLP -- I've ordered the JVC RS500 in the meantime to see if Lcos is an option for me. My Lumis is an amazing machine and does so many things right but I'm wanting better native On/Off, colors, HDR, and 4K ...as is everyone else I imagine
I imagine they will show the same set-up they featured at CEDIA...two projectors stacked with one calibrated for darks and the other for brights...the best HDR demo at that show. No 4K, however, as TI hasn't yet released their 4K chip. But when I saw the demonstration, I didn't have any sense that resolution was wanting. That's more of a seating distance thing. If you already have a Lumis, maybe you could add a second one along with the special rack and get the one you have re-calibrated to handle the lower range.
post #2194 of 2203 Old 12-23-2015, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks Pete, I'm hoping they show something new but you may be right. Ideally I'd like to stick to a single projector setup, maybe next Cedia they'll have something featuring TI's consumer 4K chips.
post #2195 of 2203 Old 01-10-2016, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all new to this thread.

Looking at purchasing a Sim2 C3X Lumis and was wondering about replacement bulbs for theses units.
Do you need to replace with an original bulb or is it ok to replace with after market bulbs?

What would the cost be for an original compared to after market?

Where would be the best place for obtaining bulbs from?

Regards
post #2196 of 2203 Old 01-11-2016, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian13 View Post
Hi all new to this thread.

Looking at purchasing a Sim2 C3X Lumis and was wondering about replacement bulbs for theses units. Do you need to replace with an original bulb or is it ok to replace with after market bulbs? What would the cost be for an original compared to after market? Where would be the best place for obtaining bulbs from? Regards
Before shopping for a lamp you'll need to establish the exact model and serial number of the projector to be sure the lamp is an exact match. You can call or email SIM2's tech support and give them the serial number and they can look up the lamp part number. Once you have that, you can compare what it would cost to obtain the lamp through a SIM2 dealer vs. an on-line vendor. But if you do buy on line, make sure they are reputable and offer at least a 90-day warranty. Installing the lamp will be another consideration. I think I've seen some YouTube how-to videos that cover it, but you will want to exercise care so as to not damage the lamp assembly or any adjacent devices.
post #2197 of 2203 Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190897075215...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I purchased this bulb. The bare bulb is an Osram P-VIP 280/1.0 E20.6. As long as the bulb you replace is this one, you should be fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!!
post #2198 of 2203 Old 01-12-2016, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

I rang the local distributor and was told that the cost of a genuine replacement bulb was around the $1300 - $1400AUD's - not cheap.
Looking at some of the after market bulbs they range from $150 - $250 AUD's - that is a huge price range difference between them.

Are the genuine ones that much better? What would they offer over the cheap ones - longer life, more accurate color?

Man i can get about 5 after market ones to 1 genuine.

Do any of you guys ever get your Sim2 projectors serviced?
post #2199 of 2203 Old 01-12-2016, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I rang the local distributor and was told that the cost of a genuine replacement bulb was around the $1300 - $1400AUD's - not cheap.
Looking at some of the after market bulbs they range from $150 - $250 AUD's - that is a huge price range difference between them.

Are the genuine ones that much better? What would they offer over the cheap ones - longer life, more accurate color?

The after market one I bought through AVS works great.
post #2200 of 2203 Old 01-12-2016, 11:15 PM

With the 3 chip convergence, if they ever happen to be out a tad is there any adjustment available for one to correct the alignment or if they are out they are out for good or does the unit need to go back to manufacturer for adjustment / repair.

I have tracked back some pages and done some reading and have the answer to my above questions.

Last edited by Ian13; 01-13-2016 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Found the answers further back in this thread.
post #2201 of 2203 Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
With the 3 chip convergence, if they ever happen to be out a tad is there any adjustment available for one to correct the alignment or if they are out they are out for good or does the unit need to go back to manufacturer for adjustment / repair.

I have tracked back some pages and done some reading and have the answer to my above questions.
In the service menu there's a convergence correction software option. There is no way to to physically move the DMDs at home, but the software in the service menu can be used if the DMDs are quite a bit misaligned. If you go back a page in this thread you can find out how to access the service menu.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!!
post #2202 of 2203 Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

I bought a replacement bulb recently for my Sim2 C3X 1080 from AV Science for I think $225. I simply had to unscrew the old bulb out of its housing and screw in the new bulb. Not hard at all. New bulb performed every bit as good as the prior bulbs I bought at $800 + each from Sim2.

You mean you don't remember me? Back 1999 - 2003, I started and moderated the AVS Tweaks forum and also the AVS Special Guests forum.

My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #2203 of 2203 Old 01-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Home Theater Lover!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
I bought a replacement bulb recently for my Sim2 C3X 1080 from AV Science for I think $225. I simply had to unscrew the old bulb out of its housing and screw in the new bulb. Not hard at all. New bulb performed every bit as good as the prior bulbs I bought at $800 + each from Sim2.
I'll go on record as stating that the replacement bulbs actually worked better / lasted longer than the original lamp in my Lumis !!

AV Science, Inc. Direct (585) 671-2972 craig@avscience.com www.avscience.com

Home theater equipment sales and advice. Call to see the JVC RS600 in Northern California

My theater pics - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+)